Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Have I lost my drat mind if I am interested in playing DQ7 as someone who has only beaten like 2 JRPGs ever, both with emulator speedup? Not interested in bad PS2 3d and the earlier DQ games are too primitive, from the little bit I tried playing of them. I guess that leaves 7 by elimination, also somehow the PS1 hybrid 2d/3d graphics actually look OK to my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Are we talking about the same Dragon Quest VIII? Or are you referring to the PS2 port of 5?

All the games from 8 onward, I just don't think Toriyama's art style translates to full 3d very well

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, holy moley the prices for DS/3DS cartiges of these games :stare:

Maybe I will play the super famicom 5 fan translated

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DQ7 PSX version on retroid pocket trip report: this game is indeed, uh, a bit rough. But in an emulator with up-resolution and speedup, it’s perfectly playable. I’m on the second island/realm, we’ll see if I actually get all the way through. Fun enough for now

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 5, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is the "intended" class change timeline in DQ3? Are you supposed to get to level 40 and get all of the spells before changing, which would mean you really only change each character twice at most? That's what it seems like to me

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, sleep/surround/stopspell/sap all still work on that version of Baramos. I don't remember him being especially bad. He's not nearly as bad as Murdaw was in 6.

Please tell me you mean you're grinding in the tower to the north where metal slimes spawn and not actually grinding on the overworld itself. :stonk:

I just beat him on SFC and I had a party in low 30s, hero/thief/mage/cleric, it was hard until I realized to combine sap on him and bikill on my hero

I abused savestates to get to the cave of the necrogond as soon as possible and farm liquid metal slimes by just resetting the state if they run away

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And on GBC. No idea if the encounter tabled changes after NES or SFC but they've been there as far back as GBC for sure.

SFC too

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 15, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr E posted:

I played 1 and 2 last year on the SNES versions last year and liked 1 pretty well and 2 not at all. Then I played 5 PS2 version and absolutely loved it. I wanted to play the rest of the games so I figured I’d go back and play 3 and 4 - what are my best non mobile versions of those? I’m guessing GBC for 3 from what I’ve read but wasn’t sure on 4 since I don’t want to play mobile. How important is the party chatter? Would I be best playing the romhack for the DS version that lets me play in English with the party chat?

I played 3 SNES and am now playing 2 and it's almost the exact same game minus the class system which is honestly hardly important. Same game structure, 3 man party, you have to collect 5 macguffins to enter the boss zone, the map is not a clone of the earth, but that's it. Honestly 2 feels like an alpha version of 3. It's harder but also shorter, the difficulty curve is steeper but you get to the top faster than 3, where if you have a 4 man party you will be grinding a whole lot

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

You mean like you have lots of people at the tavern and swap them out regularly? Why?

I played with a three man party, hero and two thiefs to sages

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think the ds is the best version of 4, the playstation port has not been translated. 5 and 6 you can play ds or just play fan-translated sfc originals

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Even with a guide it took me a while to figure out how to get the events to trigger, on PSX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m playing 4 right now and yes it is the worst availability it seems. The only options are the famicom original and the ds version which is the piss-ugly dq7 ps1 engine but at even lower resolution

There’s not even a fan translation for the ps1 version with the full 240p resolution

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 14, 2024