Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I find it totally odd Dragon Quest never caught on in the West because it's literally the aesthetics of a Japanese RPG with the balls-to-the-wall-kick-your-rear end-unfairness of Western RPGs. I guess the old school WRPG market is (and was) smaller than I always thought it would be because DQ is the only JRPG series I actually look forward to because Ultima, the game that inspired its creation, was such a big thing for me as a child.

The DQ games are so lovingly crafted and perfect in design. They're linear but the world/dungeons are still large enough to reward you for exploring off the beaten path. They're tough but encourage employment of every spell which most JRPGs ignore poo poo like buffs and debuffs. The plot is like a combination of fantasy short stories with faerie realms and demon underworlds but it's always light-hearted and doesn't take itself too seriously. Some people find them grindy but aside from the original trilogy and maybe 7 I never found this to be true as long as you don't zip to your next destination. There's certainly a "science" behind DQ's difficulty which involves only buying what you can afford + what provides the largest bonuses. You really don't need to max out your equipment except near endgame.

I can't stand most JRPGs but DQ will always be the series I compare other JRPGs too. I can't think of a single DQ game I haven't liked, including the spin-offs like Swords. I'm going through DQV on DS for the first time and the first dungeon (haunted castle) was amazing.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terpfen posted:

Remember, Final Fantasy only caught on when Sony ran nonstop commercials of Final Fantasy VII’s CG cutscenes. A lot of people tricked themselves into thinking it was some sort of supergame with the best graphics ever. Imagine their surprise when a text window and menu commands popped up. Imagine their greater surprise when they liked it. This is why Cloud is some vidya gaming superstar despite being a mediocre character: FF7 is everyone’s JRPG gateway game. (Ours was Dragon Warrior on the NES, most likely. Mine was.)

Basically, Dragon Quest needs a marketing campaign that allows people to draw incorrect but whoa-that’s-awesome type conclusions, and it needs to come up with a totally new realistic non-Toriyama-inspired graphical style.

Until then, it’s just not going to be a hit with the dudebro Call of Gears of Halo NFL 11 crowd, because they look at it and think “lame Japanese cartoony poo poo with big eyes and voice actors that make noises."

I was definitely one of those guys who thought it was a supergame (Not coming to a theater near you). Ironically, I thought it was fun for the opposite reasons everyone thought it was cool. The game was plain weird, absurd, and almost felt like a mockery of itself and the genre. I stopped caring about the series when Square took everything super seriously when at heart FF7 was about a dude in a purple jumpsuit chasing after a test tube baby with mommy issues.

I agree DQ needs a graphical face lift but not something realistic like that awful Dragon Warrior cartoon. DQVIII is such a beautifully animated game and blew all other PS2 games out of the water IMO. It could certainly use another major console release with some of the kick rear end cel-shaded graphics that's flying around now.

Dear Squenix: When Level-5 is finished with the PS3 version of Ninokuni, hire them. It will be the smartest thing you guys have done in the past 3 years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did anyone play the Fu-Ma sample game in RPG Maker 2? It was a neat DQ clone and graphically what I expect from a next-gen handheld version of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Are you referring to the cartoon that was essentially Dragon Quest III: The Cartoon, and that never got translated past the first 13 episodes stateside? Because if so, that series literally had the same character designer as all the DQ games--they already look pretty much identical.

As an aside, though it got canceled real quick in the US, a guy in my dorm during college had the full Japanese version on grainy VHS cassettes from Singapore, and it has one of the greatest troll endings in the history of TV. Apparently they lost their sponsor mid-season or something so in the last 5 minutes of just an ordinary episode they basically cut to someone saying "And then the bad guy killed all of the hero's party members, but the hero came back and killed the bad guy. The end." And that was literally the end of the show until like a year later when they scraped together the cash to do a proper ending, by which time nobody cared. It just screamed "pissed off animation studio not giving a poo poo because they all just lost their jobs" and is hilarious in that context.

I'm not the biggest fan of his art but I will always associate Toriyama's work as Dragon Ball "cartoony" or Dragon Ball Z "realistic." DQ will always be the former to me; an iconic color palette, oddball monsters, and provocative backdrops. Chalk it up to bad animation but the cartoon was a brown and gray mess.

SpaceDrake posted:

Seriously, DW1 is a product of a) its time and b) inexperienced developers. It is a hard game to play these days. Hell, Ultima IV, the game that inspired Dragon Quest, is basically an unplayable mess these days, despite being one of the cornerstones of the entire genre, if not the industry.

A remake of sorts was released on the Sega Master System that's the definitive version of the game IMO. It combines all the aspects of the original with streamlined controls and a better interface. It's a shame it only saw limited release in Europe.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Oh, OK. Honestly I can't really tell the difference--I can't say I know too much about Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z to make the comparison but TBH all of his art looks pretty much the same to me, especially people. E.g. I've seen a Dragon Ball Z character that looks identical to the DQVI hero except he has black rather than blue hair, and another character that looks like the son in DQV except in a karate uniform. He seems to have a limited range in that department.

Well, Dragon Ball was a fun adventure show where majority of the episodes took place in a different locale while Dragon Ball Z was people standing around talking in nondescript environments and screaming really loud for 20 episodes at a time. I didn't even know the cartoon existed until after DWVII but it lacked all the fun and adventure the games have. I've also come to associate DQ with a specific color palette and visual design that all the games have followed but the cartoon was a brown mess and the only iconic monsters I remember were the slimes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't remember the dragon emperor/whatever from DQ8 being that difficult. You have to beat him to get the real ending (I didn't dare do the iron man boss challenge after that). The most important thing is boosting your speed as high as possible using mercury equipment to be able to act faster and attack more often.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well, DQ5 certainly took a dark turn. Watching Pankraz beaten in-battle was strangely moving. Normally a game would just kill off a character in cinematic fashion but no, you have to watch this dude suffer pathetic amounts of damage slowly over the course of 10 or so turns before he's obliterated. He loving takes it like a man, too.

Terpfen posted:

That would be incredibly massive and probably not worth the effort. Better to just use the engine developed for DQ4DS-6DS, spruce it up for the 3DS—can we get a little anti-aliasing?—and import VII’s art assets to that enhanced engine. Hell, VII is the inspiration for IVDS-VIDS anyway.

Now, VIII… that demands the latest in HD cel shading. The goal should be to trump those new Dragonball Z games.

Level-5 is working on this little beauty.

I actually had a nerdy wet dream about DQ10 looking like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terpfen posted:

First, DQ5 was given an 8.9. DQ6 is not 1.9 points worse than DQ5.

Second, DQ5 and 6 are roughly equivalent in quality in my view. 5 has an overall better plot, 6 has a better battle system and has more of an adventurous feeling. Even if one doesn’t think 6 is as good as 5, it’s not 1.9 points worse.

Lastly, the DQ6 review is about how it’s an old JRPG and how the reviewer doesn’t have time to play perceived unimportant JRPGs. The implication is that he’s dismissing some obscure title for not being flashy enough.

IGN's reviews of "niche" games are terrible because they usually stick someone who absolutely hates the genre to review the game. I'll never forget their God Hand review which was 2 pages of "This game is too oldschool and hard to be enjoyed by anyone."

The dude who reviewed DQVI is a huge sidescroller fan as evidenced by his game collection, blog posts, and Mega Man avatar.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terpfen posted:

They’re supposed to give the game a fair shake regardless, but I guess that’s impossible.

Their one page reviews include some of the laziest writing I've seen, probably written by interns or new editors. I can sum up Deadly Premonition's review.

I was anticipating this game but not really.

Story doesn't make sense.

Bad controls. Bad camera.

PS2 graphics.

Too long.

This game is dumb.

2 out of 10

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unmature posted:

This was it. Thanks!

If you haven't reached the second island yet, talk to Pike before unlocking the second island. You get an item from him that becomes mandatory later and the game actually stops you during a dramatic moment and asks you to go back. And of course zoom doesn't work even though you'll probably get it around the time this event happens.

It was kind of funny because I got the item beforehand and the game is like "we need something that you overlooked, you have to go back" and the hero just pulls it out and everyone says "oh, you have it already..."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

How many hours in do jobs unlock?
Should I be using my seeds on The Hero or spreading out?

People are saying about 20. I'm 15 and haven't seen it yet but I'm unlocking the next island which could be Alltrades. It doesn't really matter who you use the seeds on but the hero is permanent so no point not buffing him up. I've basically been giving them to whoever has the lowest stat with terrible growth e.g. Maribel gets resistance seeds but most go to hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm legally changing my name to Promptly-Wallop.