Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anybody have any opinions on Dragon Quest Treasures? I've got some gold points on Nintendo.com that are gonna expire soon and I'm thinking of buying either that or DQ Monsters: Dark Prince since they're both on sale. For that matter, is the DLC for Dark Prince worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Mylan posted:

Treasures is fine, but it gets really samey real quick. The monsters you can recruit are like 80% palate swaps and the only real hook is to run around the large, unchanging maps to find randomly placed treasures that only really exist to make numbers go up.

Dark Prince is probably better overall, but is definitely simplified from previous monsters games. Of the DLCs, I'd say Mole Hole is the only one that is really worth it.

Mylan posted:

Treasures is fine, but it gets really samey real quick. The monsters you can recruit are like 80% palate swaps and the only real hook is to run around the large, unchanging maps to find randomly placed treasures that only really exist to make numbers go up.

Dark Prince is probably better overall, but is definitely simplified from previous monsters games. Of the DLCs, I'd say Mole Hole is the only one that is really worth it.

Thanks. I'm already leaning towards Dark Prince since DW4 has always been my favorite in the mainline series.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you were playing the NES version you could've just killed it with medical herbs, too.

:aaa:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Toriyama has passed away.

I'm amazed he was only 68. Feels like he's been around forever.

Haven't some of the last few DQ games been using other artists already though?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Qylvaran posted:

If someone had told me when the hero first met him that Sylvando would end up being my favorite character and I would get teary-eyed for part of his story arc, I would not have believed them.

Sylv is awesome.

He shares a ton of Dragon Quest Main Protagonist or just general fantasy story protagonist traits too. Wandering heir of a noble house. Good at pretty much everything he does including swordplay and magic. Everyone likes him. Not sure I even need to spoiler this but they actually could have made it work if in act two they replaced the hero with him in act two when it looks like everyone is dead. Not that I ever would have expected that to happen but I would have had a ton of respect for that choice if they'd gone that way.

He needs his own game.