Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sylv is actually a weirdly important piece of my personal journey.

I got the game as I was transitioning (ftm) and I was, at the time, very self-conscious of my manner being too flamboyant/feminine.

Then out prances this guy on my screen, and I'm steeling myself for the sort of jovial homophobia that anime tends to indulge in. You know, the kind where the queers aren't bad people, but are clearly just comic relief there for hijinks. And yeah, there were hijinks... but Sylvando wasn't just a paper doll. He has a whole story arc and his wackiness comes from being a showman. His story is, as mentioned above, classic jrpg protag stuff. He's as solid as any of the other characters, and treated with respect.

The arc with his dad made me cry and reach out to my own dad a bit more. I remember thinking "If he can go out and be himself, so can I."

Representation is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU