Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I've only beaten DQ8 and 4 and played about half of 5, so all my nostalgia is kind of limited to those sets of characters.

Oh and I got about 2/3s through DQ7...I think. The last boss I remember not being able to beat was some weird genie.

Good news, you've played the games with most of the cast then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We've gotten all of the mainline titles except the MMO in some form so I would be real surprised if we didn't get 11.

I think at the very least we can count on the PS4 version.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

4 has a fine cast of characters and the only person anybody remembers from 6 is Terry.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

The Hero, Milly and Ashlynn, because I used them in battle. The job system makes everybody kinda blank slates so I'm hard pressed to remember anybody's story

Job systems are cool and so are large party sizes, but I don't think the two mix well...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DQ6 just feels like a game that crammed too many ideas in it. Not that it makes it a bad game but 4 and 5 were way better at knowing what they wanted to be.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, they didn't just release a Dragon Quest game over here...?

Think about how legitimately silly it sounds to go "I bet this company is being mean and not translating a game because they hate everyone." No matter how convinced you are, personally, that Square-Enix has an employee dedicated going "Hm, I bet Justin_Brett would enjoy this, let's not do it," that is probably not true. More likely than not if something is being ignored it is because it is not considered profitable or there are external measures blocking it. I know for a fact there are seemingly easily-localized games that are not localized because one or more companies involved have goofy contracts which prevent it. Companies like XSEED and Atlus have had to accept games they normally wouldn't localize to get access to games they would and that isn't always cost-effective to do. S-E probably doesn't have that specific problem but who knows. The difference between Japanese and American branches can sometimes be absurd.

Heck, with big companies sometimes it can also be such that a translation would be profitable but not profitable enough compared to the other options they have available for utilizing those resources

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's always dumb to say that a big company isn't doing something because they don't like money, because the opposite is true

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The mobile port of 4 is the best version so I'd love to see it hit pc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think 2 is real interesting from a historical perspective but I don't think it's particularly enjoyable compared to every other DQ I've played.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think 1 is also neat from a historical perspective more than anything else, but it's also way less of a slog than 2 and much, much shorter so I like it more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

No one expects Japanese developers to port to Steam.

I was in this case since Koei has been p good about porting Musou games over

Wasn't expecting to see news this soon tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

The 3ds version of 7 had new content, awesome street passing features, rehauled classes, etc.

The 3ds version of 8 is a low resolution iphone port with a useless street passing feature that in the extremely unlikely chance you get to work doesn't benefit you in any way or add anything to the game. It has new content too, but overall is very very underwhelming, and low effort.

It's not the iphone port.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 3ds port of 8 having on-field enemies instead of random encounters is gonna be p nice

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's DQ11 which isn't out anywhere and doesn't have a release date, and if DQ 7/8 don't sell it probably won't come over.

I think if they were planning on keeping it in Japan, they wouldn't make a PS4 version.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that DQ8 3DS isn't using the iphone port as a base.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm glad that 8 doesn't have anything locked behind streetpass stuff because dang, that would mean the content would literally not exist to me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I, too, preordered Heroes.

I wish they could have supported preloading, I'm gonna be at work before it releases and it's very possible I won't have enough time to download it to play today! :negative:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I forgot to start the download before going to work. :negative: Now I have to wait longer.

I wasn't even able to start a preload this morning

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You don't get a weak character with the wrong choice in the DS remake but the game is blatant as hell about who it wants you to pick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Play Dragon Quest V if you'd rather read a generic shonen manga about a boy growing up rather than play a videogame.

What does this even mean

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like, yeah there's some more story than previous Dragon Quest games but you're still gonna spend the bulk of your playtime going around and fighting monsters!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Hyperbole that illustrates my stance on why I think V is a bad DQ game.

That's a p weird way to approach it since it's still fairly light on the story and heavy on gameplay, especially compared to its peers from the same era.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess my disconnect is the statement that 5 moved far away from the series since dang, as someone who really likes the series it just feels like a game that evolved with the times, while keeping that consistent DQ gameplay.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

I still have the original GB color of DQ3. I assume it still works.

It's a surprisingly good port so I hope it does!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Would you disagree that 9 is more similar to earlier entries than it is to 5 and that's why I think it's silly to recommend 5 to someone who just came off of enjoying 9 compared to those earlier entries?

Eh, with 9 in particular I think there are more post-NES games that could fit the bill honestly. 3 of course has the class system but 6 and 7 have it as a huge aspect. And while 8 doesn't, it does have a nice degree of character customization wrt skill point stuff.

I feel like 4 and 5 play fairly similarly gameplay-wise insomuch as you get characters with set roles for the most part (I guess 5 has monster recruitment but smh if you don't roll with your entire family late game).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wocobob posted:

How does the party system work in the later pre-9 games (6, 7, 8)? Do they have rotating casts, or is it one main party of characters throughout the game?

I haven't played 7 but in 5 and 6 you have a roster of characters that you can change around, as well as being able to recruit monsters. Though with 5 once you get into the last third or so there is definitely a party combination the game expects you to have since the monsters complement your party more than anything else at that point. 8 has a set party of four, but in the 3DS version you get two additional characters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

If I wanted to play my way through the Dragon Quest series, would you recommend the Super Famicom or GBC versions of I and II?

The snes versions are less grindy

Tho heck even with that, 2 is still a slog most of the time

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All I want at this point is a better menu system. I know why they did it that way but it is still annoying!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

I want to play dq5 and 6. What is the better way to play them, translated super famicom Roms or the DS releases?

The DS version is the superior choice for both by far.

The mobile ports are based on the DS version too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really liked the defense objectives, they really can make some stages tense because you have to balance out defending the objective and stopping the flow of reinforcements before you're overrun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1 and 2 are the only ones that should be skipped I feel, everything from 3 onward ranges from great to decent.

And heck even then 1 isn't bad or anything but at this point in time it's only worth playing for the historical value

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I genuinely think Dragon Quest 1 is still a good game. 2 is okay, I think it suffers from being a little too open at the end though. It got to the point near the end where there were too many places at once to look for clues to a specific area and so I just gave up.

I think the length is what really keeps DQ1 an interesting experience. It's short enough that you can see what the appeal was back when it came out and the very limited options don't overstay their welcome. Especially if you're playing with a speed-up option handy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I would like a rebalanced version which required zero grinding, and sometimes I've thought that the game is simple enough that that's something I could do on my own some time as a fun project.

That would be cool. I know someone made a Dragon Quest randomizer romhack so something like that should be a cakewalk in comparison.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i think people are big into 5 because it had one of the more novel plotlines for a dragon quest game

Heck, it's a novel idea for a RPG in general. Not too many RPGs do that sort of thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

I have the PS2, DS, and phone versions of DQ5. Which one should I play?

I'm assuming phone is the most up to date with additions, but if it is functionally similar to the DS, I'd rather use DS controls. On the other hand, I know the PS2 version doesn't have some of the newer content, but the 3D graphics look pretty snazzy; am I missing out on anything significant by going with PS2 over the others? Language is not an issue.

The phone version is pretty much the same as the DS version, so DS gets my vote.

I'm sure the PS2 version is fine on its own but the added content is pretty cool (And I don't know if the PS2 version has party chat or not, if it doesn't then absolutely go with DS)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In addition to the other improvements mentioned, the 3DS version of 8 also has visible enemies instead of random encounters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Am I the only one who used the doll in that fight!?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think I had Maribel use the doll on turn one and since she's faster than 'ol bloodthirsty Hanlon I managed to use it.

It results in the same outcome in the end of that scene course but it's real neat that there are a lot of small choices that result in tiny differences.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RedRupee posted:

How much like other Musou games is DQ Heroes? I liked Hyrule Warriors a lot but I didn't enjoy Dynasty Warriors (one on the vita) at all.

It changes things up a little, mainly with some tower defense elements; on most maps you're defending a certain point and have to balance between defending that point and killing the monsters that are summoning endless waves of attackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Skip 1 and 2. Everything else is great.

I think 1 is short enough that it's worth playing eventually. Not for a first DQ by any means, but it's worth checking out at some point due to the historical value. Especially since it doesn't overstay its welcome.