Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Moving the character changes your target.

Anyway with the release of 11 on Switch they released the original three Dragon Quests, which I am going through for the first time and I must say, it's way more fun than I thought it would be. Just beat Dragon Quest and I moving onto Dragon Quest II, and I must say it's amazing how much bigger the world is suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Detective No. 27 posted:

DQII is good but the second half is such a chore.

Is it more of a chore then running around for Erdicks gear in Dragon Quest 1, which I still had a lot of fun with somehow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SettingSun posted:

Nope, no battle animations at all. Instead you have those super upscaled monster portraits that look like junk.
The Monster portraits look fine to me.

Ofecks posted:

Did they at least include the monster battle animations? Apparently the mobile port even took those out for some reason.
Did the Gameboy version even have any. The Switch version looks like a better version of it and the SNES version for the most part.

Also question to series vets, who would you say is your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King, and how much do the Demon kings throughout the series differ from the Dragonlord.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't actually ever beaten the first DQ, so I can't really speak to how different they are from Dragonlord, but isn't he just kinda a generic villain, complete with kidnapped princess and "join me and rule half the world" speech?

He sits in his castle the whole game and tells you he will give you half the world if you join him. In Builders which takes place after accepting his offer, it's revealed that he gave the Hero a patch of land called Half the World. The Princess is being held by a Dragon Subordinate of his, who is apparently supposed to indimitate her to become the Dragonlord's bride.

But yeah fairly standard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Playing through Dragon Quest III on Switch. Did I screw up by using a bunch of books whenever I got them.

Also should I be reclassing my dues at level 20.

Also it's kind of amazing to me the massive amounts of changes from 1 to 2 to 3. Particularly how much bigger 3 is.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 7, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh I wonder why Estark keeps showing up as a super boss in games over Psaro. Heck Estark is even using Psaro's colors instead of his own.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

I’m really torn on Sylvia. He(she? At least in jp) is simultaneously the best character and also a ridiculous walking stereotype. I also don’t like how the English text basically eschews all the pronoun stuff which in some ways is actually pretty interesting I guess.

regardless Sylvia is by far the best character in the game, at least where I am at (beginning of act 2 I think?). Just got back together with Sylvia in phnom.

Sylvia/Sylvando is considered male or neither by the JP audience from what I know.

Saw someone refer to them as Sylvia Aniki.

Countblanc posted:

obviously everyone is open to their own interpretation but as a queer man I love Slyvando, it's very cool that he's a powerful, chivalrous dude whose femininity compliments those things rather than detracts from them, and no one treats him as lesser for it. he's also just so nice and positive. several other of my queer/gay friends feel the same, though I do know at least one just can't get past the idea that the game/writers might want you to laugh at him so it's hardly an objective truth that he's beloved.

He's an entertainer of course he wants people to laugh. Pretty much everyone in the game loves him as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 20, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey friends, who would you say was probably your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Starting my first playthrough of DQ V. Using the mobile port cause I heard it was solid

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I must say the English team gets much fancier with the villain titles then Japan does. They seen reluctant to just use the same title again.

English Japanese
DQ1 Dragonlord
DQ2 Master of Destruction Malroth
DQ3 Archfiend Baramos and Master Archfiend Zoma
DQ4 Psaro the Manslayer and Estark Lord of the Underworld
DQ5 Grandmaster Nimzo
DQ6 Dread Fiend Murdaw and Archfiend Mortamor
DQ7 Orgodemir the Demon King
DQ8 Lord of Darkness Rhapthrone
DQ11 Mordegon Lord of Shadows

Japanese
DQ1 Ryūō (King Dragon)
DQ2 Hakaishin Sidoh (God of Destruction Sidoh)
DQ3 Maou Baramos (Demon King Baramos) and Daimaou Zoma (Great Demon King Zoma)
DQ4 Maou Pisaro (Demon King Pisaro) and Estark Jigoku no Teiō (Estark Emperor of Hell)
DQ5 Daimou Mildrath (Great Demon King Mildrath)
DQ6 Mao Mudou (Demon King Mudou) and Daimao Deathtamoor (Great Demon King Deathtamoor)
DQ7 Daimao or Tenmao Orugo Demira (Great Demon King or Heavenly Demon King Orugo Demira)
DQ8 Ankoku-shin Rapusōn (God of Darkness Rapusōn)
DQ11 Mao Urunōga (Demon King Urunōga)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 11, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Did it beat DQ V.

Nimzo was the toughest final boss yet. Came down to just 1 turn. If he had survived I would have lost. (My Legendary Hero was out of MP so could not recast Insulate after Nimzo's last disruptive wave, so I restored some hoping he would not use his Breath, but he did then followed up with a Kaboom taking down two party members, If I took the time to revive he would have killed me, so I decided to just go full on attack, and the Kazap I used took him out.)

Time to move on to DQ VI.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

That's next in my list after a breather with Banjo Kazooie, which version did you play? I'm not sure which way to go, between the SFC or DS version

I played the mobile version which is a port of the DS version I am pretty sure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just beat Jamirus in 6. Kind of a wimp compared to Murdaw.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shugojin posted:

I haven't played it since high school but I have an extremely strong memory of hitting a point in Dragon Quest 6 where it was just going around doing things and waiting for the real villain to finally show up. Very aimless.

7 is still my favorite and i think i'm gonna start a run of it right now. Not sure where i'll get in it but i just think it's neat

You learn the real villain exists after beating the second major one.

I am liking 6 quite a lot, though it has gotten very open, and I need to explore everything. Just beat the third Dread Fiend and am searching for the Legendary Treasures, having gotten the Helm so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like 7s style.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KingSlime posted:

I know the remake for seven is considered definitive and much better than the original, but any of you prefer the OG version?

I ask because although I never beat Dragon Quest 6 on the SNES, I thought it had a really good unique pixel art style n a very specific insanely polished charm. The DS remake frankly stripped all of that charm out somehow due to the asset reuse, I still beat it but it felt very generic compared to my very first exposure to that game.

I almost feel like the full game did not live up to the presentation of the SNES game and that excellent presentation was partially carrying it. It's definitely no Dragon Quest 5 as far as plot and general gameplay goes

Anyways, I doubt I would have the stomach to ay the original seven so I'll probably play it on 3DS. Just curious to see what you all think.

Still making my way through 6 though I am enjoying it. I say play 7 the way you feel like I am probably going to do the 3ds version as well.

Though I have hit a low point on my 6 playthrough. Namely messing up on my vocation reading. The Hero vocation can be learned by mastering the Luminary, Gladiator, Sage, and Ranger vocations, the exception to this being the games hero who just has to master one of those vocations. However I had my hero learn the Armamentalist vocation, cause I was mistakenly under the impression that it was one of the vocations that led into Hero. Now I have to do another 400 fights to get my Hero class.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beat 6. Mortamor was not as hard as Nimzo cause I had more options (Though I was also 10 Levels higher for Mortamor)

Will move on to 7 soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

3ds one probably

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I heard the Eshop is closing next year so decided I should get 3ds stuff while I can.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Dai game looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDK4rLOhyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLhDPsq75A

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want news on the DQ III remake already.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Playing DQ VII for the first time (3ds version cause last chance before the store shuts down)

Shocked at just how abrasive Maribel is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

It’s his signature attack, basically think the [Element]splitter moves the Luminary gets in Act 3 of XI, since its, like, literally the same attack.

Yeah Dai pioneered a lot of Dragon Quest moves later on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dai is getting a full game adaptation which I think looks fun.

Vearn is also a great Demon King.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kirbysuperstar posted:

flaizzard is such a good design

He really is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I finished Infinity Strash and it just ended super abruptly after a boss battle that wasn't even one of the six main legion commanders or Hadlar. Just celebrating winning the battle for 30 seconds and a jump cut to credits!

I looked up where this is in the anime, and it is like exactly 41 and a half episodes in. Out of 100.

So bizarre. Are they releasing the rest as dlc or something?

Huh weird it sounds like the final boss is Sovereign Rock, which is an odd end point. Cause there is a battle against Mystvearn and Killvearn immediately after. Then right after that Dai duels an upgraded Hadlar which a fight that ends on a good cliffhanger and the reveal of Vearn. I feel that would have bees better stopping point for a part 1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Wick of Dogs posted:

God I've been watching through Adventure of Dai and just got past episode 74 where Hadlar is redeemed and Avan returns and it's so good. This is like the platonic ideal of shonen anime.

And you still have a quarter of the series left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if Dragon Quest will try make entirely new games without his designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the phone ports have been decent for those.