Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've recently gotten back into catching up on the Dragon Quest games I never played when they were new, because I hated Dragon Warrior 2 so much that I quit playing it halfway and never played another one until DQ8.

Is there any significant difference between the mobile and DS versions of DQ4-6? I got the mobile version of DQ3 and popping the game on, grinding through monsters for 10-20 minutes, then quick saving and putting my phone down seems to be the perfect way to play the game, so if the mobile versions of 4-6 aren't that much different I'll probably just get those version instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Speaking of, I just finished DQ3 on Android today. I guess I'll put this in spoilers in case the guy above me hasn't played it before, but was it as much of a surprise back when the game first came out on NES that the boss bad guy has a boss bad guy who's badder than he is and surprise it's a prequel to DQ1?

If there's a sale going on, I guess now would be the perfect time to pick up 4-6.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Veib posted:

Only 2-4 and 8 are on sale, ie. everything but the two newest releases (and 1 but that's the cheapest one anyway). I bought them all because the only Dragon Quest I've ever actually finished is 1.

Yeah, I noticed that... well, at least I can get 4 and hope there's a sale on 5 and 6 by the time I beat that one. Looks like the Final Fantasy games are on sale too, so I guess I'll pick up one or two of those.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I beat Dragon Quest 4 today on my "catching up with the last 20 years of the series" campaign I've been on over the last several months.
I know Toriyama does all the character art for these games but I didn't know I was going to literally be fighting Cell as the final boss.
After like the 4th or 5th time I wailed on the dude and some new poo poo grew out of him I was just like "Really? When are you going to die already?"

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 18, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Does that mean you have 5 coming up next? That's my personal favorite.

Yeah. Is Healie the Healslime a recurring character in this trilogy or something? I've heard him mentioned so much over the years but he was just a sidekick character in like half a chapter, and I think maybe he appeared once later in human form? I thought there would be more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

If you're playing on the DS there's a bonus chapter where you get another character and a new final boss (who is basically the same as the original IIRC) and if I remember right it's pretty fun because the new character is very powerful.

I have the mobile version, which is a port of the DS version. How do you get to the bonus chapter? It just asked if I wanted to save my clear data after the credits, and when I loaded the clear save I was at the church in Endor.

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly Psaro continually anatomizing himself was probably one of the more unnerving final boss things I can remember and basically made the fight for me.

Don't get me wrong, it was great from a final boss standpoint, it was just like

"all right, I've cut his head off, now he's finally dea- NO WHAT IS GOING ON"
"okay, now I killed the face that came out of his stomach- WHY ARE NEW ARMS AND HEAD COMING OUT OF HIS ARM AND HEAD HOLES"

and so on

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are there not rom hacks / save editors for DQ9 at this point that unlocks all the stuff for you? It's not as though the stuff in question is actually being transferred between DSes, right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Level 7?! I have got to see this, I used to be proud of myself as a kid when I got to where I could beat the game in an afternoon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fenrir posted:

Anyone got DQ4 for Android? Is it worth the $15 or should I just stick to the DS version? Any issues I should know about?

I've heard that some of these DQ ports have had problems and haven't been well supported.

4-6 are ports of the DS versions. I didn't have any issues with 4 when I played through it, other than using the touchpad to walk around can be slightly annoying, but it makes up for that with the convenience of being able to whip your phone out whenever you want to play for a few minutes.

That said, I got them when they were on sale for 50% off sometime last year. So if you can stand to wait for a Square-Enix sale on Google Play, I'd say do that.

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, it'll control as well as you can make a DS game work for phones (fairly well, but I'm not big on the whole phone gaming thing). Party chat justifies itself the instant Healie joins up. :3:

Are you supposed to be able to have him around any time beyond that one brief bit in Ragnar's chapter? The only place I remember seeing him after that was disguised as a guard or something a few chapters later or something. Which is weird to me considering how attached some people seem to be to him/it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 22, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Is the best way to play dq 1,2,3 the translated super famicom versions? Is there a best translation I should be aware of?

There's the mobile versions. I had a rom of the translated 1+2 and it was garbage so I'd say the mobile versions are better.

Last Celebration posted:

1-3 on the phones have the standard team translating it, although it's worth mentioning that 1 and 2 readith like a parody of ye olden Dragon Warrior translations (in a good way).

But at least they translate it that way for a reason, as you find out when you get to the latter half of DQ3.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

I haven't played any of the mobile versions due mostly to my aversion to touch controls, but I played the translated rom of 1 & 2 myself quite recently and I thought that it was a perfectly adequate translation.

Maybe you have a different rom from the one I had, because mine was full of translation errors (one notable bit was that they kept alternating between calling the dq1 princess "Gwaelin" and "Sara"), up to and including garbage text that would crash the game if you talked to certain people or picked certain dialogue options.

Don't get me wrong, touch controls suck, but at least it makes up for it but having everything else being well polished.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Finished dq5 last night. I mostly looked the story despite it being depressing as gently caress, but the last boss/ending were kind of a wet fart after dq4. I kinda want to do another play through with Debora but I feel little motivation when I have plenty of other RPGs on my list, and I kinda need a break from DQ games after I beat one anyway.

Do you even need the ~•~legendary hero~•~ in your party to win the game? He barely did any actual damage, mostly kabuffed and insulatled everyone else while my golem tossed back paxa punches and focused to hit the boss for 500 damage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think you CAN be a deadbeat dad and just leave them at Patty's and go out for cigarettes, I mostly only had my son with me and kept the wife and daughter in the wagon at the end unless they needed to swap in to cast Oomph. I just never tried it, and it seemed pretty funny that they went to all these lengths to tell you how essential and powerful the Legendary Hero is the whole game, only for him to be on support for the actual ultimate battle while you pummel this utter wuss of a Dark Lord.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nodelphi posted:

Are any of the phone ports decent? I haven't played a DQ game since 4 and was feeling nostalgic. Is 5 any good on mobile? Also is 5 a good place to jump back in?

4-6 are nearly identical to the DS versions. They're better than playing on DS imo because it's more convenient to quick save and whip out your phone at another time to continue playing, but the drawback is that there's no controller support so you're stuck using the lovely touch controls to walk around and that can be annoying for the rare times when you need precision movement.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Either way, you shouldn't dual class the wizard until they get Bikill (twinhits?)

They call it "Oomph" now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wendell posted:

I want to remind everyone that Dragon Quest V is the best Dragon Quest, and that Rocket Slime is a very close second.

I finished DQ5 for the first time a couple of months ago, and I... didn't really like it that much? I liked the flexibility in being able to use monsters in your party, but it seemed like it took less strategy to kill enemies than in previous games, it wasn't really until the final dungeon / boss that I had to actually strategize and buff characters / sap enemies and stuff like that rather than just making every character Attack and beat the enemy's face in.
I really didn't care for the story either, it's just pretty much The Story Of Your lovely Life From Birth because your dad becomes a hobo and travels the world looking for your mom, then his lovely dad skills lead to him being murdered in front of you and your growing up in slavery, then it's up to you to carry on your dad's lovely quest which leaves you as a living statue for 10 years while your own kids grow up without parents, then you finally find your mom only for her to be murdered in front of you too. Then you kill the bad guy and go home and have a dance.

I have yet to play 6, 7, or anything after 9, but my current personal favorite is 8, followed by 4, 3, and who cares about the rest. I do need to play Rocket Slime though, everything I've seen of it makes it look like I'm really missing out on something there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...! posted:

Another thing I'm really loving about the iOS version of DQ1 is the change they've made to the background music. Instead of chiptunes, the same music has been replaced with an amazing orchestral version of the original tune. I actually stopped playing just to listen to the music. They put a lot of effort into it. I particularly like the flute solo.

And the graphics are much better than anything the NES was capable of doing.

It irrationally bothers me that the music doesn't match up with the screen wipe in the mobile versions of DQ1 or DQ2.

Len posted:

I don't get an undub honestly. It might be because I don't speak any Japanese but it always just sounds like noise to me. Plus you miss out on the cockney stuff and things like The DQ4 characters in Heroes speaking in Zangiefian Russian.

An undub is justifiable in Bravely Second, because the English voice acting sucks and you get to hear all of Magnolia's Engrish moonspeak and variations on "Good Gravy"

khy posted:

So my experience with DQ was always 1-3 on NES, then 7 on PS1 and 8 on PS2.

I've heard good things about 4-6, and I'm going to get started on those after I complete 3 on android. My question is, do any of the games 4-6 have a skill system or something similar to DQ7's? Because that is still my favorite.

I haven't played 6 or 7, but 4 and 5 don't have anything resembling a skill tree, no. Although in 5 you do get to recruit monsters, which I guess you would swap out based on the abilities they can learn.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 31, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

You mean 5 right?

Anyway, the game has you by yourself for like the middle third or so? Maybe a little less.

Anyway, you get a bunch of worthless humans and you'll probably default to the same four person party as literally everyone else at the end.

I found the humans to be kind of poo poo in dq5, myself. The only one i kept in the lineup regularly was Parry, and that was mostly so he could cast oomph and kabuff. I had a golem and a cureslime in the other slots.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...! posted:

Just started DQ3 on iOS... what's this personality poo poo? It wasn't in the NES version. They've made this whole thing needlessly complicated. Now I'll constantly worry that my characters don't have their optimal personalities. Grr....

If you're not total garbage at playing DQ games then the personalities don't matter unless you're a minmaxing sperg. They just affect level-up gains.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...! posted:

Uh, OK. I don't need the condescension. I've beaten DQ1 through DQ8. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to say that the archaic parts are archaic. What should I have said?

Just saying "that's just how DQ games are" is a flimsy justification for them not joining the 21st century.

If you've beaten 8 dragon quest games, how are you shocked that their gameplay mechanics change very little, that's like the whole reason people play dragon quest games

Between that and your constant sperging out about personalities in DQ3, you could forgive people for thinking you've never played one of them before.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

I tried playing DQ1 on iPad. Holy gently caress the controls are clunky :( Controllers are like $50 too.

I might just go back to playing DQ5 instead.

Apple devices don't have generic Bluetooth controller support? lmao

Not that it matters, none of the mobile dq games have controller support, because lmao square-enix.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

BEHOLD, my army

What is that hourglass thing? Some kinda... time slime?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah i do, but bang, sizz, crackle and whatever don't do enough it seems like. I'm still using a boomerang on my player character hoping to get some good AoE from that, but even still I'm struggling

Personally I've found that in Dragon Quest games, as your characters level up attack magic becomes worthless pretty fast as opposed to relegating your mages to buff / sap / oomph / healing and letting your melee characters beat the everloving poo poo out of everything.

Ofecks posted:

1-3 SFC
4-6, 9 DS
7-8 3DS

I've heard mixed things about the various mobile ports.

The mobile versions are the definitive versions of 1-6.
Quick saving is in all of them and is a godsend upon itself, but 4-6 also have cloud saving, and when Square has a Google Play sale, you can get all 6 for pocket change.

DQ games are literally the only games I would recommend people buy on mobile.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingSlime posted:

i don't even know if i'd like it, the combat looks brain dead and super un-engaging compared to something like a souls game

Why on earth would you ever compare a musou game and a Souls game

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingSlime posted:

fine ignore the souls comparison, I don't play musou games so this is just my first impression

the combat looks unfun and like utter poo poo, from what I've seen a player can casually stroll up to a crowd and whack on them senselessly while the enemies sorta hang out

it feels very PS2-ish, back when most devs didn't know how to make combat fun and satisfying within a 3d space

The appeal of musou games are not really in the challenge of combat, for the most part that aspect consists of mashing buttons to do fancy moves to tear through enemy mobs by the dozens and occasionally fighting a slightly stronger captain-level enemy to liberate an area.
The meat is more in managing the map, accomplishing objectives, and keeping track of where the enemy forces are, and making sure they don't take over your base.

I only played a demo of the first game so I don't know how much DQH deviates from that, but in general if the above description doesn't sound like something you'd enjoy then they're probably not your kind of game. Personally I don't really care for them unless it's co-op with someone or else they bore the hell out of me, and DQH1 has no multiplayer and from what I understand they poo poo the bed with the implementation in DQH2.

TheHoosier posted:

guys, Dragon Quest IV? super good. I beat the final boss after grinding to level 33 off an endless conga line of Teaky Masks.

now onto what I'm to understand is the best of the bunch in V

As much as I remember the original DQ games to be grindfests, I haven't had to grind in any of the mobile remakes. I just fight every battle and never run unless I'm close to dying, and it keeps me leveled pretty well with enemies / bosses.

As for 5 being the "best of the bunch" I liked 4 much better than 5, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion. The final boss in 5 is nowhere near as epic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

some guy on the bus posted:

It just needed a good 40-50 hours cut and then it would be up for debate with the best DQs.

DQ5 took me 30 hours. Perfect length. Why in the world would they come up with the idea that DQ7 needed to be 100 hours?

You have to remember that back in the PS1 era, going back even to the SNES era, there was a real sentiment of "longer game = better game" and coupled with the fact that you could pretty much make a game as long as you wanted with the advent of disc-based media, you wound up with some obscenely long RPGs.
FF7 setting the standard with a 3-disc game probably didn't help matters either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tired Moritz posted:

If you don't pick the blonde, you're a bitch

I couldn't stand her stupid country bumpkin accent and how whenever she said "don't" it was spelled "dunt"

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes. I mean, rather, that Nera's ability to learn Kaboom is the most interesting thing about her.

Was it just something about my playthrough or was attack magic in DQ5 so weak that it wasn't even worth considering after the first timeskip? Pretty much any character I had that wasn't healing/buffing/sapping was just bludgeoning the poo poo out of the enemy.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Carmant posted:

They took a lot of features straight from the Dragon Quest MMO it seems. I also think I got a title when I completed the first little trial of becoming an adult, which is weird for a single player game. Maybe I mistranslated that though.

Probably has street pass features or something? Bravely Default / Second let you set titles as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

Regarding party: It's like older DQ games where you have 7 party members that you can swap out at the beginning of any turn.

PS4 version looks great, the 3ds one not so much; I think they kinda botched up the retro art style, and it feels completely fake.

It looks like the mobile remakes of 1-3 to me, I guess it depends on how much you like the style of those. I think it's fine.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ComposerGuy posted:

Yeah, 2 is the worst DQ mainline game and it really isn't close. I have a strange affinity for it that I know 100 percent is nostalgia fueled because as a child it seemed so vast and huge compared to DQ1. It really captured my imagination.

But objectively its designed extremely poorly.

I played the poo poo out of dq1 when I was a kid, them dq2 put me of the franchise entirely until I played 8.

I came to call any rpg where they give you a boat and tell you nothing about where to go or what you're supposed to do when you get there "Dragon Warrior 2 Syndrome." It's disturbing how many games for that description.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

tweet my meat posted:

I'm holding out hope. How does 3 hold up compared to the rest of the series? I've only played (other than 3) a bit of 7 and builders so I'm not too familiar with it overall.

I've only played the mobile version of 3, but it's easily the best of the original trilogy, by virtue of the fact that it's not physically painful to play, but also because it's pretty good on its own merits.

Bongo Bill posted:

3 is the best game in the series.

(In fairness, 4, 5, and 8 are also the best games in the series.)

I would still put 8 and 4 above it, but I would put it on equal ground with 5.

All this DQ chat reminded me that I totally forgot I was playing DQ6, I guess that goes to show how engaging of a game it is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Yo, playing DQ 5 DS, any monsters I should be on the lookout for? I finally got a Slime Knight and just got the Great Sabercat again. I'm expecting that monsters fall off after you've got the full family together though.

I kept a golem and a cureslime in my party the whole way through. I found the human party members to be pretty worthless in comparison. The golem had superior strength with the metal king sword + psych up and the cureslime was a superior support because it could cast oomph and heal the entire party.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Ooh, how should I be distributing seeds?

Give them all to the hero.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No word on it coming out for any other consoles?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

Reminder that regardless of the specs on your phone, it can't really use them to any decent respect for gaming because it has no proper heat dispersal and the battery would only last 20 minutes.

Greetings, time traveler from 2009, we have such sights to show you

psychoJ posted:

i played thru DQIV on my old phone without any of those issues :shrug:

I've played all the mobile DQ games up to 6 without any issues. Wonky touch controls and forced portrait view aside, it's my preferred way to play now because you can just pick it up and grind some monsters for a bit and quicksave when you're done.

Oh, and as someone who also has dq4 on ds, there's no noticeable difference performance wise. Also the DS version doesn't have party chat, so there's that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 13, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shugojin posted:

The only one I've played on the phone is Dragon Quest 1 and I learned that I hate virtual d-pad. A lot. Especially how it's movable for some god forsaken reason.

ProTip: you don't have to touch the onscreen pad to move. If you put your thumb anywhere on the screen and move in a direction, it will count.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

2 is the only one I could never play again. 1 requires a lot of nostalgia. All the rest vary from really good to some of my personal favorite games ever.

I played the poo poo out of dw1 when I was a kid, and my disappointment of how lovely dw2 was put me off the series until dq8 came out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oberndorf posted:

How would one even go about playing 3 nowadays? Just emulation, or is there a modern version about? Thought the DS and iOS versions didn’t start until 4.

The DS starts at 4, but Android at least has 1-6 and 8. I assume the same goes for iOS.

Don't listen to that other guy, I've been progressively playing though 1-6 on mobile over the past couple of years and 1 isn't long enough for you to care about how the graphics look scaled down (the only thing that bothered me about that game was how the music doesn't sync with the screen wipe when battles start) and 2 is a highly unenjoyable experience under the best circumstances but at least the mobile version lets you quick save pretty much anywhere.

I never played any other version of 3 so I have no idea what the gently caress pachisi is but I didn't miss it either and thought it was a really good game.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 12, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bongo Bill posted:

I played DQ1 (mobile) over the weekend and I had a good time with it. It's been several years so I felt like it was time. I'm now thinking of making another honest run at DQ2, since I heard the mobile version adds reliable fast travel, and because I'm willing to bail if I stop having fun.

DQ2 is a bad game no matter what, but being able to quick save anywhere and not have to pixel hunt for those runes or whatever made it tolerable enough for me to finish on the mobile version.

I've been playing DQ6 on and off for like the past year and it's really not interesting enough for me to dedicate a lot of time into. At this point I'm really just playing it so I can check off every DQ game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Alxprit posted:

Psyching Up is best done in moderation. Actually getting to 100, while rad, is hardly ever necessary. I often threw out attacks just at 25, or more if the random element of some of the tension-increasing skills and such in the game happened to line up.

You should be psyching up to 100 to watch your hero character go :ssj: