Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How does DQ8 run on an older 3DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I ended up picking DQ8 up yesterday. Has the menu always felt this awkward?

Also if I decline to some skill points are they gone forever or will they stockpile?

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Red has passive stealing, so it actually is now.
do they steal from the same pool?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Given the whip nerf and the fact that we get two new physical (?) characters, I'm thinking I'll focus on magic for Jessica and Angelo. Are staves any good for them?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you're like me and giving the hero spears, one of the prizes (3rd or 4th?) that Cameron gives you for taking pictures is a Holy Lance. I made one right in the middle of the Ascantha detour and then got a free one just after I finished :v:

Also, I got it even though I was completely ignoring the monster picture challenges, so you can probably pick it up sooner if you're diligent about that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I never really figured out the deal with sell prices beyond "you get less money the more of an item you sell"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

lmao I watched a jailcat fade away, less than a foot from my face. There goes my last eau de monster!

Related: when a jailcat bumps into you it apparently just permanently stops moving, beyond the basic animations

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Unmature posted:

Wait, so I should do boomerangs for the MC? I've put 15 into swords.
not really? You can do both if you want though. Power Throw is pretty good against trash mobs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

so gold golems only give about 300 gold in the 3ds version. Is there a better way to get money?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I, uh, might be underleveled for Dhoulmagus 2nd form lol

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Red gets stealing in a much more convenient form.
Setting aside the fact that I'm 25 hours in and haven't recruited her yet, anything worth stealing is worth getting more than one chance to steal. Her steal only activates when the battle is over, and only on the last enemy killed. Her steal is a nice bonus (that you get way too late), not something to rely on. Unless I"m misunderstanding how stealing works?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dhoulmagus down :toot:

I just had to alchemize up some penultimate equipment :science:

How much longer until Red?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Which swords can Red wield? Same as Jessica?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The ultimate courage skill requires swords? Probably should have checked before I maxed it out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supremezero posted:

No, that skill is "you can get it at max sword or max courage".

The ultimate Sword skill requires max Courage, though (Max both)
I maxed Courage and got Gigaslash, which is only usable when I equip a sword instead of a spear

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The weirdest part is that it looks like it's one of those stats don't matter skills so I can just put the Stone Sword in his bag and call it good? But if you can get it without investing in swords and it doesn't care about weapons why lock it to swords in the first place? Lock Gigagash to swords, sure, but this just feels inconvenient, and for no reason.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supremezero posted:

The max Courage skill is Kazap. Gigaslash is, as I said, "max whichever and you get it".
then maybe the game should mention Kazap on the little skill chart in the level-up screen instead of Gigaslash lol

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is every boss from here on going to have a "disruptive wave of energy"? That poo poo's getting old

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I beat Rank B with Talos, Hackzilla (north of Farebury) and Curer (north of Arcadia)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Edit: wow I skipped right over the paragraph where you said that yourself

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Has anyone figured out how to do Monster Arena Rank X? Because Talos, Skeledoid and Octurion got their asses beat by loving Bangerz and Mash

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jessica's new voice actress hasn't impressed me

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So other than maybe a little bit of Dragon Warrior when I was a child, the only Dragon Quest I've ever played is DQ8, until now. I went through DQ1+2 on the gbc and they were short and academically interesting.

Like 30 seconds into DQ3 for the SNES I thought "ooohhh, this is why the series is so beloved." I love the battle animations. It's vibrant art style is making me want to go back and try 1+2 SNES. The personality and class system feels deep and I'm pretty sure I'll play it again to try different combinations. When I realized I had to fight Orochi twice without going back to town and resting, I was able to kill all my characters and use call shop to summon a priest to resurrect them with full mp.

DQ3 might make my top rpg list and it's really making me want to skip 4 and 5 and just play 6 when it's over. At some point I'll probably also start dq8 again and do something goofy like an all fist run.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ6 tried to do a lot and while it was visually impressive for its time and had a lot of content, it can be rough. The boss you fight just before class changing unlocks can be hellishly hard in the SNES version.

DQ4 on the NES was awesome. Though when playing through it for the first time you realize things like having Taloon skip the chests in the silver statue cave is the ideal thing to do because you can grab the gear in ch5 and get a huge early game boost from doing so.
does the nes version have a context sensitive button or is it back to choosing off a menu

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The last boss of dq3 is a slog. If i was going to fight him without savestates i would definitely have to grind a lot. my hero and martial artist each did about as much damage as he healed every turn with the damage buff spell, and that was pretty much my only dps because he had bounce and i needed to heal every turn, twice most of the time. Thank god for the sage stone and the 4 wizard rings i picked up

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you didn't forget to use the orb on him did you

because one time I did, oh boy
oops

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the game right up untip the final boss so i'll probably play it again some time and remember orb

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I thought getting up to level 48 was a pain. No way i'm doing anything that requires grinding to 77

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Like a month ago i wasn't paying any attention to dq stuff so i just found out they're remaking 3 again and i'm now interested

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A lot of them are available on mobil :shrug:

I hope dq3 remake comes out on ps4, but given octopath traveler and live-a-live aren't there yet I don't have much hope

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

YggiDee posted:

There's no skill respec/reset in any version of Dragon Quest VIII

Edit: by the end of the game you should have enough skill points to master two skill trees (or paths, I guess, they don't branch...) per character. I strongly suggest you level up everyone's personal skill and one weapon skill each.
this is what i did. I think the Hero's personal skill caps with a sword skill though, which was annoying since i picked spears

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1632965464304541697?t=_GKcpyvZVTB8qXAR2SHrHg&s=19

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there even been a puzzle rpg where, before a battle, you set everyones' gambits and then are hands off for the actual fight?

Graphics aside, what QoL features could they put in the Octopath DQ3? I only played the snes version because the phone port looked like shite.
split clown into two classes, add girl clowns and bunny boys

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you want sage spells on three characters you are going to double your playtime. It would legitimately be more efficient to keep everyone except clown their first class and just grind past whatever roadblock you're on that makes you think you need 3 sages than to have everyone start over multiple times

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

IIRC the switch version of dq3 doesnt have battle animations? Or so i heard

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Just beat dq5. I was told about slime kniggt and it was pretty useful but man, golem came in at level 4 with higher hp, attack and def than anyone else and stayed at the front of the party drat near the entire game

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Looking forward at dq6, it looks like Ashlynn and Nevan have basically all the mage and priest spells, respectively, by default. Is it really recommended for them to go down mage and priest?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I really wish that V's child section had been longer, there's something very charming about going on goofy adventures as a youngin and you don't really see it enough in the genre.
this reminds me i need to go back and play breath of fire 3 sometime. Maybe after dq6 for a change of pace

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I also just played dq5 and yeah, Slime Knight is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You made a new warrior instead of class changing your dealer?