Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Early DQ had a lot of promotional art and stuff that gave personality to the games when they were new, does anyone know of some places with collections of that art? I do own the artbook, but I know theres a lot not included in it.

Edit: Lmao the exact moment I asked I found the motherlode on a special page on the wiki. Sharing the bounty for anyone interested

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

1 2 and 3 don't really have all that much to them, so the future versions that just make the games more pleasant don't really have any competition beyond nostalgia.

4 5 and 6 on DS are arguably some of the best Remakes the world has ever seen, so it's a no brainer.

But 7 and 8 were more sidegrades than anything that honestly kind of didn't know what they were doing. If you absolutely had to pick objectively? They're an iota better. But like Symbol Encounters in THE random encounter series just doesn't work even for 8 which did it well, much less 7 which literally increased the encounter rate by suckkng at it. 11 deserves a ton of respect making it work. So I sit there trying to decide which version of both to play and end up just not playing them since if I can't go all in, it's hard to justify these games that can very much reach 100 hours.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

A Sometimes Food posted:

DQ4 on DS you'll want to dig up the patch to restore party chat to the English version but otherwise it is the best version of DQ4 yeah.

I have a story about this.
I got blocked towards the end so I never beat DQ4 as a kid.
Then in 2014 I replayed it, and beat it.
2 weeks later they announced mobile with party chat, I was so mad.
I spent years trying to play it but failed and lost progress several times cuz new phones and the cloud saves not working or something.
I kinda value being able to name my dude so I'm not a big fan of the patch though and all the little ways it breaks the game.

It finally has a happy end.
Last year I loved a mobile game so much it literally rewired my DNA, so now games on my phone don't bother me. I enjoyed DQ4 so much, I played and beat and read all the lps of dq1&2 too, which is why I'm here.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nihilarian posted:

I'd call DQ8 3DS the definitive version even if the only positive change it made was putting monsters on the field instead of random encounters tbh. PS2 version is fine but 3DS version is a clear upgrade.

Symbol Encounter is the official terminology for that. Like I said, not a fan even though 8 didn't really do it badly, it's just not designed for it.
The extra content all being locked to the last 25% also just makes me kinda hard to get super hype.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I disagree, I think it's a tossup between SNES and Switch.
Switch has the best translation and playability vs SNES having the best content loadout.
It is bizarre that 1 and 2 got remasters that brought them in line with the rest of the series and are definitive, but 3 just got another port though, really threw me off when I started.
Guess there is a reason for that 2.5HD one to exist even if it doesnt have canon party members added, still not a great one though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

isnt a full remake of 3 coming

Thats the 2.5D one, what little they showed of it just looks like a fancy remaster, but no guarantee of all the content or being a full remake that updates the story to modern standards.
It's also been dead silent for 2 entire years to my knowledge.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I feel as if there is no 'definitive' version of 3 and I'm not sure if this remake is going to fill that niche. I want a version with the board game, monster medals and all of the other features of previous versions + nice graphics.

I don't get this, speaking as someone who games in French whenever possible. I know that DQ4 on mobile is the only western version with party chat and that that game is only in English, but I'm not sure what you mean here. I assume that by 'English' you mean 'as opposed to Japanese'

Yeah
Switch and SNES have about equal merits, while there's arguments for GBC and even NES, 3's just in a really weird spot where there is no definitive version for 3, they all even use 1988 dq stats instead of modern stats. Personally, not a fan of 1988 limitations, so my main hope for HD2D is to be a full remake and have real characters added to the game to choose, but the barest minimum I'm going for is to be definitive.

The main issue with DQ7 3DS is that it has Symbol Encounters awkwardly forced in, and they
A: pop at insane frequencies
B: pop right under you
One of the most frustrating experiences ever, already not a fan of Symbol Encounters in DQ, but 7 is just insanely awful at it.
There's also more direct grinding side stuff, so you can get distracted and oops overleveled or oops spent 10 hours not advancing the plot and now youre fatigue is maxed.
Some of the streamlining removes cool stuff too, so it kinda again feels like there's no definititive for 7, but 3DS is still overall the choice if for no reason that it doubles the chance of getting through the game through the extra streamlining.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress that poo poo

drat every other time I've mentioned hating symbol encounters I've been treated like a social pariah. One time was even a DQ thread lmao.

It's the official terminology btw, it's in a fuckton of games including big names , but for some reason common knowledge of it just doesn't exist.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure what the argument for DQ3 NES would be over the others. Maybe the fact you can skip the first Kandar fight entirely while I think it might be required in the SFC (and maybe GBC) version or possibly the poison moth powder trick for metal slime farming? There's just so much more in the SFC version though and it sucks that the mobile version removed stuff like TnT.

Some people hate the personality system, and it's the only version without. I kinda get it, it's just a side grade that can chase a new player who looks into it away.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rascyc posted:

I'm replaying DQ11 and wanted to take a peek at 2D mode while half way through the game and boy was that a mistake. All my zoom points reset and it seems all the treasure chests reset too? I fled back to 3D mode but was lazy about the saves so the reset persisted. I hope I didn't do any other weird things doing this!

I did notice many quests reset but thankfully the log is easy to identify where they are to restart them. I don't think there's a nose for treasure related achievement so I'll just try to not pay attention to that.

Think it's my fault ultimately for being lazy with saves and it prob should've been obvious now that I realize how substantially different the 2D mode is. Just hope I didn't mess up any achievements?

What I do is start in 3D, and switch to 2D everytime I finish a chapter.
2D is brutal on hard, but the levels from 3D even it out and also get you to no exp from weak dudes max.
But I'm the dude that put 250 hours into the original version doing every possible thing there is barring not knowing all the accolades to grind them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I say 5 8 and 11 are the best by far, and honestly having a working theory that every 3 games from 5 will forever be the best DQs, and any game after the best DQs will be relatively bad cuz well, 6 and 9. I hope 12 disproves this though.

As for phone ports....4 released a few weeks after I beat 4 on DS and I was so mad, but at that time I hated phone controls atleast as vehemently as anyone else here. But two years ago I played a game so good on phones it became one of my favorite games of all time in every aspect, it literally cured any of the instinctual hate I had for phone gaming, so I recently played through all of 4 a few months ago and enjoyed it more than any other time without issue other than learning how insane some of the party chat conditions are. Basically, just have a life changing experience related to phone gaming and it cures your hatred of phone gaming lol.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

I think the system in LAD7 should've worked more like Tales skits, TBH, because there were times I'd blast right past the specific spot a party chat would come up and miss it, and then it wouldn't be there when I went back for it. Sometimes I'd get the option if I passed by the location later, but sometimes not, I couldn't figure out what makes them "respawn". They were most of the way to skits, I think they should have just... gone the rest of the way.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing worse than passive stuff like that. The best result is having to stop playing and wait, the standard result is oops, missed it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Pyro Jack posted:

Started to play DQIII. Using a party of Fighter, Mage and Priest because I want to be basic but not too basic to use a Warrior, and all including the Hero are female because of a mixture that you get nice stuff from it and having a female main character in Dragon Quest is rather rare, so picking it makes to unique compared to the first two games. I didn't particularly care much about the personalities of the party outside of making sure that it focuses on actually helping their vocation mainly because I don't particularly care about manipulating the RNG or something to get the best personalities.

Anyway, I can definitely see that alot of the more common elements seen in Dragon Quest come from this game like Mini-Medals and buff guys in bull helmets/masks with presumed Cockney accents who are apparently called Toughies.

Remaster exclusive, Mini Medals were originally introduced in 4.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Every time someone says anything disparaging about DQ2, I always say this: Play any version but the famicom/NES. It's a very solid game in the remakes.

I have an affection for DQ1 that I do not understand, but I freely admit that it's a very 'primitive' game. I agree with you in that it feels like a prototype for later, better games like Metroid (though I'm not terribly fond of Super Metroid) and Mega Man, but I will fight you on Zelda. I love the original Zelda and wish that they would make a Zelda Maker that was all about making new adventures with that tile set.

My favourite is 3. I want to like 4, but the chapter-based story-heave structure annoys me and I don't like the AI in the final chapters of the NES version. Granted, the AI thing is optional in later versions, but I still don't like the narrative structure. I am also aware that there is a Game Shark code to turn off the AI in the NES version, but that sort of breaks the game. I simply feel that 4 put an emphasis on story rather than gameplay and suffers for it.

Man that's what makes 4 so good lol.

1-4 are so cool from a historical perspective because they essentially invented EVERYTHING there is that makes an RPG an RPG

1- The base
2- Party
3- The adventure
4- The story

And unlike 1-3 4s also just plain a good game even without history because of it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

Just feed them all to the hero.

or the cutest girl.
That mage is gonna eat these strength seeds and like it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes I have one of every class and when the Hero gains a level that's a multiple of 5 I swap out the highest level character for the lowest.

And why not.

That's how I played too, why classes if not use them all. Merchant and Gadabout fall off hilariously bad since they never get new gear lol.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Considering the other 5 DQs in the first 6 have gotten ports remasters and remakes that are objectively the definitive version, itd really be nice if 3 atleast got that this time so you have to settle for things for better translation or all the features. Now Ideally not only would we get that, the party members would all get personalities too, but thats a real pipe dream lmao.

Considering the Pixel Remasters for FF though, I have no faith even though the Enix side has always been more competent.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 13, 2024

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I remember power leveling in 11 to be the easiest grind of my life, took like an hour in that 240 hour game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Managing fatigue is a very important part of most RPGs. So auto battle is always a gift.

I made liberal use of it throughout 11 and put 240 hours into the game lol. In one go. I can get burnout 30 hours into a lot of RPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Dragon quest 11 is a nearly perfect game except that Greatswords are completely overshadowed by dual wielding at the end cuz of plot mcguffins.

Should have been able to dual wield Greatswords.