Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Azubah posted:

5 is pretty drat hard to find for the DS for a good price, I only lucked out by finding it at a Kmart no one goes to. I was going to save it until I beat 4, good idea or bad idea?

This is uncanny. I scoured the net and every shop in my area and couldn't even find a used copy. Then I wandered into a bumfuck Kmart and there were two copies sitting in a rack with clearance PS3 games. I probably wouldn't have even looked in the DS section on that trip because I was in a hurry. What luck :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
Thanks for making this thread.

I've played Dragon Quests 1 through 5 and I also played 9. I'm working on the DS version of 5 now and I have a copy of 6 ready to go when I'm finished with that.

I would looove to play 7 but the prospect of playing a Dragon Quest on my TV after all these fantastic handheld ports is a huge turnoff for me.

If they decide to port 7 to the DS or the 3DS though... :a2m:

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

dis astranagant posted:

Port 7 and halve or quarter the amount of battles needed to level classes and we're in business. Maybe double how much xp and gold you get, too.
Yeah I did hear it was a grindfest even by DQ standards. Ease up on the grinding a bit and make it like the DS ports of the Zenithia trilogy and we're in business. TAKE MY MONEY, SQUEENIX.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Or better yet, the SFC version. (Is there a translation patch for that?)

Somewhat related, I've noticed that DQ is like the one remaining JRPG franchise where they arbitrarily rename large numbers of major characters when they translate the games to English. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I kinda wish they wouldn't do that--even though I've played most of the DQ games at some point in time I always get confused in these sorts of threads because I never know what characters other people are referencing and vice versa. :(

Aren't a lot of the recent changes just reverts from the late-80s trend of having to fit longer words into fewer characters + westernizing stuff?

I'm fine with changes if they're puns on par with DQIX.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

dis astranagant posted:

One specific example of DQ7's grindiness:

Sweet holy mother of gently caress. And I thought fighting those sand golems to find the impostor in DQIX was bad :aaaaa:

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Captain Vittles posted:

If you die while wearing it, it casts the spell Kamikazee, which attempts to (and usually succeeds at) instakill all opponents. Older games may have called the spell Sacrifice, if that helps.

The only time I ever had that kick in in DQIV was during a boss fight and it didn't seem to do dick to Estark :(