Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I love the Dragon Quest (and Dragon Warrior) series and have been playing the games since the Nintendo Power Dragon Warrior freebie.

I was never able to beat any of the Dragon Warrior games for the NES aside from the first game, but I really enjoyed 7, 8, and 9. I don't know what it is about DQ games, but I love grinding slimes and stuff; it doesn't really feel like grinding because the battles are over so quickly, which is very different from a Final Fantasy game (which I also like, but not as much).

I think the final fight in DW7 took me 40 minutes or so, but man it felt like an accomplishment when I beat the boss. I don't think any other game has had that feeling of satisfaction. That game must have taken at least 120 hours of play.

DQ8 was good, and made the transition to voice acting pretty well, in my opinion, but the loading times were atrocious. I think I enjoyed DQ9 more than 8, but it was a drat shame they didn't make the game with constant party members like 5 or 8. The lack of party chat was a huge downer :( but the game was still awesome.

The DS DQ games have all been awesome so far, however DQ6 had some big shoes to fill. I think DQ5 was probably the best DQ game yet - The translation was top notch, the story was interesting, the characters were great, and party chat was awesome.

Also, the best part of DQ is that they spell "armour" properly. Man, I hate it when I'm playing a game set in "England" or wherever and they spell armour incorrectly. :spergin:

Vasler fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Contest Winner posted:

Personally, I never really got into te DQ series, I've played a handful of the games, starting with the first on the NES, but I only ever finished one of them. Fortunately, it was the best game in the franchise.

Motherfuckin' Rocket Slime.

Man, I forgot about Rocket Slime. That game kicked rear end! It was such a romp. The music was awesome and everything was slime related. Boingburg, His Royal Wobbliness, the tomb of Tootenschliemen. I can't believe the game didn't do better than it did. I mean, you had a tank and could launch yourself (and baddies) out of a cannon!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Arcaeris posted:

Well it's obvious you're either a way too apologetic fanboy or a troll, so this is just about over.

I grew up playing RPGs that by today's standards can only be called "punishing." You might have a thing for those, but I'm not about to fire up The Bard's Tale or Ultima III or poo poo like that again. DQVI is very much on the punishing end of the scale.

The thing about the jobs isn't just "abstracting" the battles thing, it's giving the player choice and information. That's what's archaic and frustrating, not your little rant about modern games. Instead of making a well-designed interface full of information and still providing challenge, they just obfuscate what are today considered essential details.

If you like an era of ancient game design, more power to you. I'm way over it.

Like you, I grew up playing those hard as nails RPGs as well, and I don't think I'd like going back, however I thought DQVI was pretty good. It wasn't as good as DQV, but what could be? The encounter level wasn't that bad either, I think your exaggerating. I mean, the battles generally last 2-3 rounds and all the moves are pretty snappy. As a result, the battles are over quick and progression comes easy.

I did get lost a couple times and notice the directions I got were actually wrong, so there's an error there, but all in all I really enjoyed classes.

I'm not really sure I understand what's so different between DQ and modern jRPGs anyway. Dragon Quest's system is pretty straightforward, and they tell you everything you need to know, especially compared to some other elaborate ones (FFXIII).

What kind of essential details do DQs not tell you that other games do?