Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Now Terry, there's a character the game is making me look forward to.

Don't get your hopes up. He's the cliche white-haired rear end in a top hat swordsman who suddenly becomes a weakling the moment he joins you. (See Dias, Star Ocean 2.)

To be a little more specific, Terry has no unique abilities. He starts as a rank one gladiator with warrior and martial artist mastered. By the time you get him you'll probably have more job progression than that. Also you'll have better gear, and enough 0 mp skills that the sunderbolt sword won't matter much.

But Terry is necessary to acquire one of the game's secret characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Captain Vittles posted:

For anyone playing DQVI, a word of advice; don't choose Ranger for your main character, as it takes for-frigging-ever to master it. If I were playing over again, I'd choose Luminary, as it's mastered fast and gets some useful abilities.

Luminary has a great all-around skillset and I like developing it for anyone who I'm not rushing to a sage. Lightning is good for the mid-game, hustle dance is always amazing and a whole-party zing can save you from a wipe.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Manos del Sino posted:

That's what I was forgetting about! Thanks.

There's a double-secret batch of treasure involved here, too: use the pickaxe in dream world Graceskull and you can loot the armory. The one with all the empty chests when you go there in the real world.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Johnny Longtorso posted:

The problem early on seems to be that none of the monsters drop any significant amount of money. I got the Prince (despite the name being randomized, he's always named Orfeo every time I play this game), got the silver key and made it through the cave down to Hamlin, and I'm still struggling to buy equipment.

The lack of money is offset by there being so little to buy. The Prince of Cannock's best weapon is the iron spear, which is available in the town right after you recruit him. The Princess's best weapon is a guaranteed drop from a monster in the dungeon of Midenhall. Armor is pretty easy to come by and you can hand down Midenhall's gear to Cannock as you acquire Erdrick's equipment.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Captain Vittles posted:

His best weapon is the Falcon Sword. :colbert:

But his strength is so bad that he doesn't do any damage with it. Although I guess he doesn't do any damage with the iron spear, either.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Captain Vittles posted:

You could level those claims against a multitude of NES and SNES RPGs, and possibly even a few games from the more recent console eras.

The inventory limit in DW2 was especially bad because there was no item storage. You only had your three characters' inventories and they quickly got clogged with non-discardable plot items.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Lizzie is the best. Everyone use Lizzie.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Manos del Sino posted:

I haven't found Lizzie, unless she's the cureslime and I've just been ignoring her at the Inn. The only three slimes I have are Goowain, the cureslime and Goober.

Take Terry to the dungeon of Arkbolt.

The character is a hacksaurus who starts as the dragon class, has tremendous natural stats, and has very impressive natural ability growth (e.g. falcon slash, metal slash, kazing).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
No because DQ6 is full of 0 mp abilities that hit all monsters.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I guess the conclusion is that it really depends on your style. Towards the endgame I use the top-tier 0 mp attack all abilities pretty much exclusively. The flail doesn't offer anything to that style because the abilities are not weapon-dependent. But if you play differently the flail may be useful to you.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Manos del Sino posted:

What are your normal go-to skills?

My dragon is an easy choice where most things are susceptible to C-c-cold breath or Scorch, but the other characters not so much. I tend to use multifists on things with high resistances, roundhouse kicks on low powered groups, gigaslash on more significant groups and double up on everything else. The flail works really well for spreading damage out across four or more enemies divided into multiple groupings.

Well it's possible to have four dragons before beating the last boss, so if you want to do a bit of grinding everyone in your active party can have c-c-cold breath and scorch. More realistically you'll have two characters who have maxed dragon and the others will use boulder toss, the sunbolt blade item power, the luminary lightning, or multislice. If you go with multislice I think it is weapon-dependent so the flail can help there.

A number of enemies are immune to boulder toss and multislice and for them roundhouse kick and multifist are good fallbacks.

Double-up is the best single target skill I can think of. Falcon slash is also useful provided that you're not using a weapon that adds magic damage on a hit.

After the last boss, once you're halfway through the bonus dungeon you can buy dragon scrolls for an irrelevant amount of money and then the answer is breath attacks for everyone.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Not really. The games will be hard if you're underleveled, haven't been keeping up to date with new equipment, or are bad at managing your healers' mp. Otherwise you should find them pretty reasonable.

Although I guess I should add that DQ and DQ2 can be hard because they're outright unfair at points. Starting from DQ3 and onward the games are well-balanced.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Fooley posted:

That pretty much covers it. By quests running out, that just means they won't make new ones? And will the item thing keep going? And I noticed some of the download quests are marked "story", are those just quest chains?

I would've bumped the main thread, but I figured the megathread was better.

I don't think the game is capable of having more quests added to it. As I understand it, all the quests are already on the cart. Connecting to DQVC just unlocks them week by week.

The quests marked "story" have to be done in order. You have to do the current story quest before you can do any later story quests. All the story quests are postgame-only and most of them are weekly unlocks.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I've never understood why people like 3 (including its job system) so much. I can understand in the context of NES RPGs, and the influence of nostalgia, but otherwise... eh.

The most interesting aspect of DQ3's class system was changing classes from a martial-type to a caster-type, or vice versa. It was pretty fun to take your starting priest and turn him into a warrior, so he became a martial-type character who could also heal you and buff as necessary. And then you could turn your starting warrior into a priest, so that he became a priest with some extra strength and hp. Then add a sage and a hero, and all four of your characters had healing ability. By NES standards that was pretty in-depth party-planning.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

n0manarmy posted:

I completely understand the annoyance of having a ton of abilities and no reason to use them. I see the AI using the same 2 or 3 spells/skills all the time with maybe 1 in 50 being a random ability which has no merit to being used.

The "dozens of useless abilities" problem affects DQ9 too. And in both DQ9 and DQ6, the abilities aren't organized very well, so you're just flipping through page upon page of abilities looking for the one you want. It's the worst part of those class systems.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, to make it slightly more on topic, anything special I need to know for 8? I've played 1-3 on Game Boy and 4 and 9 on DS.

You have very limited skill points, and unless you reference a guide you won't know what gets you what. So use a guide for planning your skills.

Angelo will have fewer skill points than everyone else unless you do an immense amount of grinding. Give him your skill seeds.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Ofecks posted:

Roll call! (story time, incoming :words:)

1 - Got it as a complete surprise christmas of 1990. I had asked for Metriod (which I also got... my mom was awesome), but she had a cool idea - get him a subscription to Nintendo Power so he'll read more instead of staring at a screen all day (ha!). It just so happened that they were giving away a free copy of Dragon Warrior with subscriptions that holiday season. Anyway, at first I thought "WTF kind of game is this?" as it was my first RPG experience, but it grew on me, and before long, I was hooked. Many, many playthroughs during my kid/teen years, even more than one max-level save.

The best part about reaching the maximum level in DQ1 is that when you go to the king to save your game he can't understand why you haven't just killed the Dragonlord already.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Harlock posted:

In short: :words: about Dragon Quest.

DQ1 is remarkably open-ended; it feels more like an Ultima game than an early JRPG. The game's pacing is weak, though. You need a high-level character to achieve anything other than getting the stones of sunlight, so most of the game is grinding up to the point that you're strong enough to achieve your goals.

Regarding DQ3, I don't think mini medals or a "personality test" were in the NES release, which is the only version I've played. Maybe those things were added in the GBC rerelease?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

carrion kit posted:

I had the original Dragon Warrior on NES when I was younger and slowly but surely beat it, what a grindfest. I don't know what made me want to pick it up again but I started playing DW II earlier this week (hadn't seen this thread yet) during downtime at work and it's definitely a lot more fun, especially with more characters, but it's pretty loving hard. I just got the boat and I have no idea what the hell to do and I'm refusing to Gamefaq it. I have been using an online map though since I know the game came with one. I'm currently working to get my main dude a hammer from the boat town and grinding up levels to beat a tower I found on an island. When I found the town from the first game I had this really awesome moment of nostalgia. Also what I think is the underground cave from the first game and what appears to be the ruins of the old end-castle? Also, I feel like it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end to find the 'sunken treasure' or whatever in the 'north cold water', please don't tell me I have to 'search' the entire loving ocean to find this thing...

DQ2 is a disaster for these reasons and others (i.e., extremely limited inventory space thanks to undiscardable quest items, monsters in the last area that randomly will wipe you in one round, both spellcasters basically being liabilities). If you like it you will like any game in the series and will like all of them better than DQ2.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Evil Fluffy posted:

To some extent the people working on DQ6 knew/expected that there would be people doing stuff like leveling 3 sages until they have every spell, then changing some/all of them in to Fighter and Soldier builds because having access to stuff like Boom and Firevolt as well as HealAll and Revive was insane.

This was present as early as DQ3, where it was wise to swap your characters' classes around. So if you had a soldier, pilgrim, and wizard, it was smart to make the wizard a sage, the soldier a pilgrim, and the pilgrim a soldier. And suddenly you kept all your classes intact while having three characters who could cast healall.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
If you're not doing postgame content, the Paladin's forbearance skill is game-breakingly powerful.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
That looks bad. Like, give me the NES graphics over that bad.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The more I think about it the more this port surprises me. I have a hard time imagining the original Dragon Quest being well-received today. Its pacing is wretched by modern standards. The game only has a handful of objectives and you need to be high level to do them all. The vast majority of the game is grinding up to the level and gear necessary to do those few things.

Dragon Quest II is a much better game structurally. The original's big weakness is that it is brutally and unfairly hard, which is something that's easy to fix in a port.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Luceo posted:

I think the poster you quoted was saying that the original version of DQ2 was hard, not that DQ1 was harder than 2.

That is what I was saying, poorly.

DQ2's difficulty is unusual for the series. Levels solve most things in Dragon Quest--hell, in DQ1 the Dragonlord goes from impossible to a cakewalk in just two or three levels--but not in DQ2. Your inventory is capped due to the garbage the game forces you to carry. The non-hero characters don't add a lot of value. Enemies hit hard and hit your whole party. And of course the cave to Rhone is famous for having monsters with instant-death spells. That area is hard in a way you can't do anything about. You either get screwed by the RNG or you don't.

DQ2 is definitely beatable by someone of any age who has the patience to grind levels and then the luck to survive the RNG. It's more unfair-hard than skills testing-hard.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
DQ9 is excellent. It's a very modern take on DQ3. All the multiplayer and online and postgame stuff is completely optional. The online store had occasional deals back when the game launched but it quickly became a place for fluff. And you might not even enjoy the postgame; it depends on your tolerance for running lots of randomly generated dungeons. So yeah, get DQ9, don't sweat the extraneous parts.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
My gripe with DQ8 isn't the skill system itself but rather how few skill points you get. You can screw yourself badly by not meticulously planning your build, and even a well-planned build will not put points into a couple of each character's skills.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Also there's the part where you run in place for an hour while waiting for your recipe to finish.

I liked DQ8 when I played it the first time but I guess it doesn't hold up well in retrospect.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Adam Bowen posted:

It never occurred to me that 2 is considered the low point in the series until a few years back when I started reading forums and saw people discussing all of its flaws. It was the second RPG I ever played (DW1 being the first, naturally) and my mom and I spent months playing through it together, so I'll never be able to think of it as anything but amazing. A lot of the things that are considered flaws (like how easy it is to get lost and wander into places you aren't strong enough for) made it feel like you were exploring a big, dangerous world and not just walking a straight line to the next bit of exposition.

DQ2 isn't a bad game by any means, and it's miles better than DQ1 so it seemed extra-good at the time. Its flaws are ones you only see in retrospect because of later improvements in game design. You have no inventory space because you're forced to carry useless quest items (fixed in DQ3 on), you can get randomly one-shotted in the last couple areas (not totally fixed in later games but much less likely), and your two companions don't add much value (fixed in DQ3 on).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I just finished the main game of SNES DQ3 using the fan translation patch. Both the game and the patch are really well done and I recommend them to anyone who likes DQ3.

The bonus dungeon I'm not so sure about. DQ bonus dungeons are hit-or-miss for me and this one feels like it's going to be a pain in the rear end. Anyone have experience with the DQ3 bonus dungeon? Is it worthwhile?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Clearly the solution is to give away the next Dragon Quest when you order a subscription to a magazine.

I mean, it worked for me.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

JustJeff88 posted:

Sadly not. You can only use items from inventory that the character in question can normally equip, with the notable and wonderful exception of the Shield of Strength, which casts Healmore on the user in combat. Makes the incredibly hard-to-acquire Snowblast Sword, which I think that they dummied out in the remakes, even more pointless. They should have made it so that Sages can use that sword - it would be the best Attack Power weapon for Sages, and give someone a reason to try and farm the bastard. As it stands, it's basically useless as only Hero/Soldier can use it and there are better weapons, with better spell effects, more easily available.

I got a snowblast sword drop (or whatever its translated name is) in DQ3 for the SNES. I wasn't grinding for it; I just picked it up on my way through Zoma's castle.

Then I beat the game and when I reloaded for the postgame it was gone, because the game resets its state to your last save before the final boss. :suicide:

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Yeah, there is normally no reward for all the grotto grinding other then more grottos. You can get high level gear with very, very low drop rates from certain bosses. Or you can exploit the random number generator to guarantee those drops, which is probably more fun than grinding out 2% drop rates - but if you're getting your fun out of exploiting the random number generator, you're probably better off doing something else.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
If you're struggling with the regular monsters the boss will wipe you in a heartbeat. Sorry, but you need to grind some levels.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Crimson Harvest posted:

Ok, wrapped DQ4 DS up just now. I enjoyed the middle of the game far more than the end. Although, the final boss' SEVEN forms or phases or whatever was kind of fun, but a little silly. A tricky fight, and definitely had me on edge a few times when people died. Thankfully I had passed out Yggdrasil leaves beforehand and got super lucky on Zings.

The DS remake made that battle a lot harder and take a lot more time. In the NES DQ4, the boss would change forms every round or two, so it didn't feel like it was changing forms so much as it was, well, evolving right in front of you.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Adam Bowen posted:

I guess I'd recommend it if you've never done it before, but I don't really like the DQ4 post-game. The extra plot is dumb and unnecessary, and getting through the new dungeon requires way too much grinding.

Both of these are true, but you get a new playable character out of it and that is awesome.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Bo Jackson posted:

Just started my first playthrough of DQ3. I'm playing the SNES remake (does anyone know how that translation patch is), and I gotta say, the personality test borders on verbal abuse. The game gave me a lot of tough love about my 'vain' personality before the game even started.

The result you get is basically random anyway. The only thing that matters in getting assigned a personality is how you perform in your eventual scenario. The questions only determine what scenario you get. And not only are the questions not relevant to the scenarios, a lot of the personalities don't even match up with the actions the scenarios have you take.

The way NPC personalities are determined is even weirder. It's based off of how you allocate your bonus stats and to get the good personalities you need to give yourself a really bad allocation.

Just roll four women and look up how to cheese it so that everyone is Sexy.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Bongo Bill posted:

I've been replaying DQ8 lately. Did you know that if you do certain alchemical recipes as soon as all the ingredients become available, and invest your skill points correctly, Jessica can be the party's best physical attacker for a significant portion of the game?

Whips and twin dragon lash?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Shugojin posted:

Dragon Quest is full of party wipes your first time through.

Then you play it again ten years later and just kind of chump everything and you can't figure out why you had difficulty before.

This is completely true. Eventually, I realized it's that now I have more patience for the battles. I used to run from everything and was under-leveled all the time.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

welcome posted:

This was me.

The SNES version of DQ3 has a "fun" little surprise in store for people who had played the NES version: in the original, having the Golden Claw in your inventory "curses" you by causing you to be attacked every time you take a step, and is easily remedied by selling it for a ton of gold. In the remake, picking up the Claw just curses the Pyramid permanently instead. I'm just glad that I grabbed the Magic Key first, there's no way I was going to drag a Thief and two Jesters through four hours of nonstop battle.

The SNES version requires the magic key to access the golden claw room, thus solving the problem of an impossible to traverse dungeon. I don't remember if you needed the magic key in the NES version.

Oh, and all magic is sealed in the SNES version once the curse triggers so you need to use herbs to heal. I also forget if that was in the NES version. I really hated the golden claw quest on the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

BadAstronaut posted:

Is this a thing in the SNES version or was it only added to the GBC release?

GBC / SNES only. The hero learns a few utility spells that recall conversations.