Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wonder what the story is with DQX. The Wii is approaching the end of its lifespan and the Wii-U is right around the corner. Will it be a launch title for the Wii-U (retooled maybe) or just a late release kind of like FF9 was back in the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terpfen posted:

I'd imagine Nintendo will somehow convince Square-Enix to push it onto the Wii U. Think Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario.

This is my suspicion as well. I'd hate to see it delayed to be retooled for the Wii-U though.

I was hoping they would do what Square Enix did with Final Fantasy 9 - the PS2 was in full swing when it came out but they released it as a PS1 game regardless. I don't know much about the Wii-U. Is it backward compatible?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Himuro posted:

Horii said he's not touching WiiU.

That's actually really good news.

EDIT: I'll have to take your word for it - I don't remember the exact timing, just that I played it at launch on my PS2. For my old brain that could have been two weeks or two years after launch.
VVVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 19, 2011

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well this is interesting: http://kotaku.com/5836874/brace-yourself-for-dragon-quest-x-news

I thought the Wii was confirmed as the platform for DQX a while back. I guess they may really be moving it off, to the 3DS maybe? I would really like a console DQ game again personally. Or am I just misunderstanding and it's talking about a new DQ title?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barry Convex posted:

Square Enix' FAQ for the game (in Japanese) confirms that, while the first few hours are playable offline (probably a story-driven tutorial of some kind), the meat of the game can only be accessed with an Internet connection, and there is no proper single-player mode.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Wii U exclusive outside of Japan. The localizations may well not even be ready to ship until 2013.

Well that's bullshit. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. If I were able to play this like I did IX then I would have been on board from day 1. Shoot, even with the random mooks I created I still had a blast and thought the story was pretty decent in IX. I find myself really bummed out about DQX.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Luisfe posted:

So maybe the single player content is, well, the campaign/main story, and the online content is the POST-GAME thing, which is larger than the main game just like in DQIX? If that ends up being the case, hell yeah.

This would actually be pretty cool if that's the case - White Knight Chronicles sort of worked that way too and it ended up pretty decent. I can only imagine DQ improving on the formula.

If you're right that is. (I hope you're right)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

We're about due for remakes of the first three, aren't we?

I'd just like to see all remakes in the DQ8 style. I have yet to see a 3D RPG nail the world map so well as that game. It just felt so huge and immersive. I always felt like I was exploring a real place.

Combine that aesthetic with 9's pacing and such and I'm a happy camper. DQ9 just had a great flow in general.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Himuro posted:

Okay, so we can muse ideas on how they should do a hypothetical DW7 remake that will raise it to the rest of the series standards:

1. No shards. Time travel works like in Chrono Trigger: you unlock new time periods through normal plot progression, no collecting shards or anything to unlock a new time portal.

2. Unlock the Dharma Temple 10-20 hours earlier. 30 or so hours to unlock classes is retarded.

3. I refuse to get rid of going to a dungeon in both the past and the present, because that is how most of DW7's plot works, and the vignettes would not work otherwise, and they would lose all emotional impact trying to see how the past affects the future.

4. A big problem with DW7 classes system is that it's too grindy for its own good, and this is coming from me, the guy who never grinds in DQ. It's not that you grind because it's hard, you grind because that's the only way to get progress on your classes. Make it FFV style, or hell DQIX style. I know they won't get rid of classes in general, but if I could, I would. The characters are different enough as it is. Remake it so that the characters have unique skill sheets you can customize ala VIII, and you got yourself a winner, with less time on your shoulders.

5, The goal should be trimming DQ7's time in clock time in half for the main story. How could this be accomplished without editing the story? The game already has a fast text speed, travel is fast too. It's a shame because I really am against editing/censoring entertainment, but DQ7, if it were to be remade, needs an editor and badly.

It's just that, DW7 is so...anti-DQ to me. I don't understand it. Sure, it has a lot of great writing and stories, and sometimes the atmosphere is top notch and I feel like it's natural evolution on what Horii did on Chrono Trigger. I almost consider it Chrono Trigger 2, to a point.

But it's so obtuse, and I don't even see how it's kid friendly. In Japan, DQ is aimed at kids as much as it is adults (their parents who grew up playing DQ). I don't understand how kids in Japan didn't get stuck playing DW7 for the reasons we already mentioned in this thread. Other DQ's are very simple, easy to play games. 7, though...

I think 7 will be the most interesting remake. You know it's coming. But how will they do it?

I really like 7 as is for the most part - I would make mechanical changes at most and let the story flow stand. For starters, you are right about Dharma temple. We need to have some classes available to begin. Also the way classes level needs to be overhauled. Change it to a visible point based system like JP and increase the amount of points given or decrease the requirements to level. No more 2000 battles to get a Hero or whatever that poo poo was.

Also let us see enemies on the map and outrun them if possible like in DQIX. That was an inspired change.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mister Roboto posted:

If anyone wondered what a Dragon Quest: Dissidia opening would look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKa48UyWSAQ&feature=related

(Massive spoilers for the entire series, obviously).

I laughed my rear end off at the DQVII stuff - fisherman/hero running like a bat out of hell was great.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm plowing through DQVIII again and I just can't help but gush about what a great game it is. It has a more character heavy plot like V, an amazingly immersive 3D translation of the old school 2D world map, a great difficulty curve and tons of extra stuff to do. I also really like the changes they made to the US version adding the orchestral soundtrack and voiceacting. It almost feels like a traditional RPG in a Dragon Quest wrapper. DQVIII is what I envisioned next gen RPGs being like back in the PS1 days.

I liked DQIX but it just wasn't the same. It didn't have that expansive feel of running up a hill so you can see your surroundings that VIII has. The only other game that felt as expansive to me was Xenoblade. I'm afraid DQX is just not going to be very good at all. Nintendo doesn't really have a solid grasp on anything online ever so it may be a wash. I want to believe but it ain't looking good to me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I need to play VIII again, it really is the best thing. The story's all cliche, but it's all wonderfully executed, brilliantly acted, awesomely localized cliches. And the world map is loving amazing - I usually hate JRPG world maps because so many of them have the characters trucking around a miniturized world that absolutely kills any sense of wonder or immersion for me, but DQVIII made the world map my favorite part of the game - going through a mountain trail or a desert feels so much more trecharous when the game actualyl forces you to go through a full-scale, lovingly rendered mountain trail or desert. Combine that with the gorgeous graphics and score, and you've got yourself JRPG nirvana.

This is my feeling in a nutshell. So few games capture that feeling of exploration and I hate that they didn't stick with it for DQIX. Hopefully DQX will bring that back, MMO or no.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I feel like VII is due for an overhaul. It was a really long but flawed game in a lot of ways but I still have a soft spot for it. Such a weird game that one of the selling points was "No battles for like the first hour!" or whatever. The job system was way too grindy (like VI) but it still managed to be fun, somehow.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terpfen posted:

VII's selling point was "Genuinely 100+ hours of gameplay", with "it takes an hour just to get to the random battles" being used as evidence to support the claim.

Ah yes, that was it. I have a soft spot for VII despite how abusively long it was. It never got bad, just exhausting. I suppose if you ever want to accomplish anything with the job system it's even longer! Still, a nice overhaul and re-release would be nice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gloam posted:

A lot of new footage came out of today's Nintendo Direct. Looks nice enough, could do with some lighting and better shadows but overall it moves a lot better than one might think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb43ZmG6bE

It looks like they took the DQVIII/DQXI look and transplanted to the Wii, which is a good thing. But the combat at the end looks just like every MMO ever and that really turns me off. Since I can't read japanese, are they saying you can play the entire game solo with no other people and just created party members ala IX?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gloam posted:

Yeah you can play solo with AI but you still have to be connected to the internet by the looks of things.

Given the nature of online games, I wonder if there will be a Hero centric story like all the previous games or if you'll be just some guy. Will the multiplayer aspect extend past the story White Knight Chronicles style I wonder?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can't tell from that scan, but they've upgraded the graphics engine? Holy poo poo, sign me up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

voltron lion force posted:

That's cool... but I thought everyone always said 7 sucks?

I loved 7. It's very long, like maybe arguably too long but I enjoyed it all the way. The class system is a little tedious though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harlock posted:

Stay near the Shrine because you'll be grinding Job Classes. A lot.

This was pretty much my strategy back when it came out, I ended up grinding out a Paladin in that stupid tower nearby (I think it was near the shrine). Class abilities make the game so much easier comparatively to other entries in the series I thought.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Why would the randomness of the battles have any effect on what you think of the camera in the battles themselves?

Anyway, they aren't random and you're weird for wanting them to be.

That's excellent and solves what I thought was the biggest problem of VII - encounter rate. I hope the class exp system is reworked though. That was the only thing that benefited from the encounter rate being what it was.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

What was the problem with 7's encounter rate? It wasn't any noticeably different from most other DQ games.

I always felt it was higher than the others, personally. I don't exactly have science to back it up or anything, but that's the impression I came away with.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I'm digging the redesign, though the exploration perspective is a little close for my tastes. Hopefully there will be a variable height camera angle or something. I sure hope it comes out in the U.S.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I wonder if the DQ7 remake will let you get Kiefer back at some point in the game. Even if it's just a new secret sidequest.

If it's anything like older entries, maybe for the Postgame activities.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Hey, me too! It's pretty fantastic looking on PCSX2. The overworld remains an incredible thing, every area of this huge map had thought and care put into it and it's a joy to explore.

I don't think any PS2 era or above really got the world map portion of an RPG right like DQ8 did. Xenoblade did an excellent job as well but that was more than a few years later. The sense of scale and scope is just amazing. You said it perfectly - it's just a joy to explore.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nickoten posted:

I think he's referring to how Xenoblade and Dragon Quest VIII both feature semi-seamless travel between locations rather than going from a mostly to-scale town to a much more abstract overworld like in the older Dragon Quest games.

Yes, exactly this, thank you.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to start playing Dragon Quest VII on the PS1.
Is there anything I need to know before I start?

Yes, it's the slowest game beginning of all time but the entire experience oozes atmosphere. The map sprites look absolutely terrible but in-battle enemies look great and animate really well for the era. Be prepared to explore and check every pot for tablet shards or you might get stuck.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BadAstronaut posted:

What is this?

Exactly what he said. Use an SNES emulator (SNES9X/ZSNES/BSNES), set the graphical filtering option to HQ4X. It smooths the sprites and makes it look not jaggy at all. It can look a bit saturated depending on the filter you use, but most are generally an improvement.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

I just gotta say that claiming SNES graphics haven't aged well is insane. Old 2D graphics like that will never lose their visual appeal, while early polygonal poo poo on the PS1 or even PS2 sure can.

They have aged better, for sure. Still, technology has come a long way and even with the long shelf life of sprites, SNES is showing its age. Not bad by any stretch, but certainly not the way my nostalgia colors my memories of the era.

You ain't lying about PS1 though, holy poo poo. Front Mission 3 was one of my favorite games of any generation and I can't even look at it now. Sprites tend to have a lot more character too. I think that's the reason I like Breath of Fire 3 more than 4. The larger enemy models changed to polygonal messes in 4 and it just lost so much charm.

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7 on the PSX used 2D graphics. It owned and even today looks good, unlike FF7's sharp-edged mess.

The enemy graphics rule in DQ7 but the map sprites were horrible. They looked worse than DQ6, if I remember correctly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BadAstronaut posted:

I am about to finish DQV from the looks of things because I am in that new island/continent place and got the sage stone and I think I need a Dragon Questing break after this. I still feel IV was better and more engaging, with better characters, and also less moments of 'where the gently caress do I go now...?', which I experienced a bunch of in DQV. Still, good game.

I also think IV is an overall more fun game with better focus but V is super great. I did find myself meandering a bit more in V which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. But if you're playing it on the heels of IV I can see it being more noticeable.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

DQ4 is really reminding me why I quit it with the Maya/Meena chapter. Here's two characters this time, and they're both terrible.

If I recall they only start kind of terrible. One gets decent at fighting once you can afford some gear and the other is a pretty powerful caster after a few levels. Their chapter does throw fairly difficult battles at you though, so I can see how you might get burned out quickly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalR posted:

So what would you guys consider to be the best version of each DQ game?

For my vote, I think the DS versions of VI-VI pretty much cover that, though I like the PS2 version of DQV simply because I can play it on my TV. My old eyes don't handle the small screens as well anymore. SNES for I-III. PS2 for VIII no question. VII on 3DS looks to be much improved over the PSX version, but I haven't played it so I can't say.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalR posted:

I think you mean IV to IX?

VII and VIII weren't on the DS and the DS version of 9 was the only version that exists so I didn't include them in my "best version" count.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalR posted:

I asked because you said VI-VI.

Oh, I see, I did! I meant 4-6.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalR posted:

I did see that Dragon Quest 8 got released on Android. Any opinion on that?

It runs as well as your device allows so performance varies and it only runs in portrait orientation. It's not terrible if you really want 8 on a handheld device but I'd sure wait til it was on sale. It's decent but not great.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalR posted:

Well, I have an NVidia Shield, so it should run okay...

gently caress.

Seriously? They didn't program an option to make it landscape? What the gently caress were they thinking? And let me guess, no controller support. (This isn't as big of a deal. The Shield has a gizmo built in that allows you to "program" the touchscreen to push the buttons for you.)

I think it was touched on by another poster in this thread but apparently the Japanese just loving looooove portrait for some reason. I don't really get it myself. Toucharcade did a pretty long review if you want to see if it's for you: http://toucharcade.com/2014/05/29/dragon-quest-viii-review/

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's hard for me to use a word like "worst" to describe Dragon Quest but I think my least favorite was 9. It's a decent enough game but DQ8 is probably my favorite for how expansive it feels and moving to 9 on the small screen and back to that isometric-style view really didn't gel with me. It has been so long since I played 2 that I thought maybe my memories of how hard it was had more to do with my age at the time but from what you guys are describing I remember it perfectly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

blinking beacon nose posted:

So from all of this, I gather that DQ8 is worth a look? Cool, gonna do that.

For my money it's the best in the series, though not everyone will agree with that. It's basically what I pictured next generation RPGs to be like 20 years ago; the world is huge and expansive with tons of poo poo to explore, the game is long and involved and it's so, so pretty. I think it's best on PCSX2 if your computer can run it, but it's still a blast on PS2.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Both are better than DQ8, which just felt like a slog that tried to weigh you down and also began their trend of subtitles that remove any point in having the story reveal things. It'd be like relabeling The Usual Suspects to have a subtitle revealing who Keyzer is.

Journey of the Cursed King is no more a spoiler for the story than Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. It "reveals" something that's in the opening movie and is properly revealed in the story like in the first area of the game. It's more like subtitling The Usual Suspects: Crime Happens. Not to mention DQ6 is far more a slog if you want to level classes than literally anything in DQ8. DQ8 at least gave a granular leveling system that allowed you to chart the course of a character within their talent trees rather than "Fight 750 battles to max out Hero" or something.

EDIT: Though I will grant the leveling system in DQ8 is also kind of easy to screw up if you don't know anything about it. You aren't given anything in game that lets you know what your points will get you so if you don't read up a bit beforehand, you can make mistakes.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The thing about DQ6 is I can fast forward through the slog. My guess is it's going to be awhile before I can do that with a PS2 game.

PCSX2 runs it fairly well if you have decent hardware. If you choose to go that route, fast forward works just fine.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh sweet, I didn't know. :)

TBH, it's the best way to run it if you can. The smoothing and such makes it looks just pristine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Himuro posted:

Pretty much. Localization is hefty work and it costs money. I'm pretty positive it'd take more than a week to do a game the size of DQ7. Never mind the fact that translations are rarely straight translations and require lots of research for localization and consideration for location.

Why should S-E do all this with DQ7 when DQ4 sold like 20k units? I wouldn't do it either. Then again, jrpgs are in a different...climate than when those remakes came out. Personally, I'm starved for some quality jrpg gaming. As Bravely Default showed, jrpg fans - especially handheld jrpg fans - are thirsty. This is the perfect opportunity to pull the loving trigger and advertise it like Nintendo did with BD.

Western DQ fans' best bet is for DQ to do great on mobile. DQ1 was in the top ten on the app store when it was released, so maybe there's hope yet.

Where are you getting that 20k units number from? This shows 140k in North America: http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Worldwide_Dragon_Quest_Sales - I'll accept that it didn't do as well as it could have, but then why translate V and VI? If that 140k, number is correct, then it outsold it's NES release by nearly double. Given that chart, though, I can see why DQ7 wouldn't be a possibility given the sliding numbers of V and VI.