Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyway, re: 2, I think part of the reason 2 doesn't get much love these days is because... well, it's been outdone. Its own franchise outdid it almost immediately with 3 and 4, and a bunch of competing RPGs of the era also outdid it in terms of scope and playability. It wasn't the first title so it wasn't "groundbreaking", and it didn't really innovate in the same way later titles would. It was big in its time, but it's clear these days it was just a stepping stone game, and frankly it's a clunky play today.

I remember getting DQ 2 back in the NES days. Graphically it seemed like a downgrade from 1, and seriously ugly when compared to stuff like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and some C64 RPGs.

Graphics were never Dragon Quest's strong suit. Nintendo apparently polished the hell out of the first one. Only to have to give it away.

Nintendo is trying to market Dragon Quest a bit now, but its still really half heartedly.

Its pretty bad since its in the midst of a pile of portable RPGs. Tactics Ogre remake, Ys 1 and 2, Nintendo's own releases. Lot of games in a small timeframe.

Dragon Quest has always been the most consistent RPG series but its never really captured the west at all. Heck back in the day I think we only got the first 13 episodes of the cartoon they had on TV. I never knew how it all turned out.

Its not anime enough for that crowd, its not western enough for that group.

Its just its own barely changing game. As comforting as a big old comforter and a hot beverage.

But the market in the west doesn't want that.

Which is why Japan loves it and we don't in some ways.

You can play NES Dragon Warrior and then go play DQ 8 or 9 and see its pretty much the same game foundation.

Try doing that with the Ultimas. U1 isnt anything like U9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SettingSun posted:

I legit envy you. Reading the text is like a record scratching in my brain, forever.

I grew up playing Ultimas and reading UK gaming mags, plus Larry Elmore's SNARFQUEST. Silly written accents don't bother me one bit. poo poo, I kinda like em!

My early DQ7 impression is it took me nearly 2 hours before I got in any combat, just wandering back and forth while looting everything in sight. Then I used the first NPC to help me easily get the party to level 5 before getting into the first town. That's some near Kojima levels of SHUT THE gently caress UP AND LET ME KILL poo poo right there. It would be worse but at least I got to play the game and not just read/listen to stuff babble on.

I got the PS1 DQ7 cluebook used a few years back but I don't know how useful it will be for the remake. It's cool that I now own DQ1-9 complete in some physical form though. Not sure I want to own all the cluebooks or Nintendo Powers though. I only own half of them.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I might as well share my Dragon Quest collection as it currently stands:

All of my main numbered DQ games! I actually had the NES releases of 1 and 2 but traded the first in with other games to a game store towards some Genesis games (Kind of a mistake) and the second with a classmate for... Double Dragon 3. WTF? I think I got some money as well because the game wasn't as good and I had completed DW(now Q) 2 already and the classmate really wanted to play more of 2. As we can see from the Game Boy Color remakes it all turned out ok! The little Slime is from one of the Stacking Slime sets they put out in Japan 10 or so years back. The other slimes and the Golem that came with it you could do silly stacking things with it and said Slimes is in a zip baggie someplace. (Yes kids there are even better things to put in your zip baggies besides marijuana.)

The spinoff games mostly bought cheap as chips and some fun promotional goodies. Sadly the Slime sticker from the 9 sheet is now on a 2007 iMac that I eventually ebayed to someone who is probably using it for dubious activities. (Which is why I have all the data of the freshly OSX reinstalled and formatted hard disk and the machine info itself saved to a flash drive. Never hurts to be safe with computer hardware ya know!)

A close up of the other Warrior World newsletter. This one is sad because it mentions the superb 5th game of the series coming to the US SNES which never happened. Again we eventually got them in a superior format in the US. Sometime in 2017 we are reported to even get the 8th game above on the 3DS platform giving us all of the current single player Dragon Quest games on portable Nintendo platforms.

Back in the days, Nintendo Power and other gaming magazines were the only real way to get help to complete so many games, especially those that never got clue books released. So I have had this stapled together DW(Q)3 walkthrough waiting on the game itself until I got the Game Boy Color remake... On September 10th 2001. Unbeknownst to me at the time I was starting on DQ 3 at the same time the tragedy of the next day was happening. I still need to get the Nintendo Power articles and pullouts for the 1st and 2nd game sooner or later. But I am cheap.

Yeah the 7 cluebook probably won't be super useful for the 3ds version but I saw it a year or so back and the price was nice. And then we didn't even know if 7 was coming out over here again. (I may be known as a critic of Nintendo but they do help us get Dragon Quests and for that I give them respect.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ceramics posted:

No ps2 slime controller/10

I don't have the Wu Tang PS1 controller either. One cannot own everything. Plus I am infamously cheap when it comes to my dorky rear end entertainment. 40 bucks for DQ7 3ds this week felt like me kicking myself in the nuts.
(The controller I REALLY want right now is the analog double flightstick for the PS1.)

vvvv No worries. I kind of figured it out. I am doubtful I would then or now spend the money for that Slime controller but.. I am happy it exists. Not as happy as the Wu Tang controller though. vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 21, 2016