Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The only times I've ever bought a console were to play Dragon Warrior/Quest. An NES for 1 & 2, and a PS2 for 8. I bought DW2 when it was released, and I have no loving clue how I finished it without the internet. Hints simply were not an option, I think I actually took notes. You drat kids today have no idea. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Asimo posted:

trickier puzzle stuff

In the same vein, tricky puzzle poo poo is why you pretty much require a walkthrough for DW7. I know I would've given up on that thing if not for step by steps.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

goldjas posted:

That cave leading to the snow area before the final area was just loving nuts.

I honestly have no loving idea how I did that, especially without save states.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The subtitles annoy me. :mad:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SpaceDrake posted:

That was a bit of a backfire on Nintendo's part, since it meant Dragon Warrior 2 ended up looking a bit pants.

It didn't look all that different to me, but I'm no aficionado. I just remember 2 being so much more complicated, and it was awesome. :colbert:

Actually, I thought 2 looked better than 1, the towns weren't silly lame square icons.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Terpfen posted:

and it needs to come up with a totally new realistic non-Toriyama-inspired graphical style.

Bull. loving. poo poo. <:mad:>

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just started a playthrough of DW1, and remembered that needing to use a "Stairs" command is the most retarded thing ever. Seriously, what were they smoking?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, in the original Dragon Warrior

That's the one I'm playing, unless there was something released before the first american NES version, and you don't have to command direction changes?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SpaceDrake posted:

In some versions of the game (not the NES version)

I now want to experience this so badly it hurts.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SpaceDrake posted:

Here we go, here's a video of what I'm talking about. You had to direct which direction you wanted actions like talk to go.

Pfpt, that's not that much more primitive than the version I played on my NES. The graphics are identical, except for that weird missing orientation sprites thing. If those and the resulting need to specify which direction you were talking in are the only differences (other than language obviously) then "Stairs" is still the king of retarded commands.

Edit: Looking at another video of the original Japanese version, it looks identical to the US NES version, aside from the direction thing.

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 18, 2011

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Kuros posted:

I personally like 8 the best because I believe it has the best pacing and the grinding is rarely bad unless you are metal hunting.

It was so much better than 7 when it comes to stuff you can figure out without needing to look at a drat walkthrough every 2 minutes. But you know you haven't finished it until you beat the bonus boss right? And jesus christ is that one bitch of a battle, I think it took me over an HOUR. And that's on top of the hundred or so hours of grinding it took to get to the level where I could.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SpaceDrake posted:

You can't actually marry the princess without doing that, right?

Huh? You run off with her regardless. I'm talking about beating the Ultimate dragon. It's actually called that, in case you gave up before getting it. And it takes A LOT of grinding to level up enough.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Kuros posted:

Yep, I've beaten all of the bonus bosses

Ok, I really wanna clarify this. Did you do the one where you fight every single form the dragovian dude takes, one after another with no rest inbetween, until you get the Ultimate dragon?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
So what console am I gonna have to buy to play 10?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Manos del Sino posted:

I always love the Bang spells.

I miss infer[nos,more,most]. :( Hell, almost everything is renamed in DQ8 and it's retarded. The only thing I don't like about the game.

I still miss hurt/more.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Captain Vittles posted:

Poker should be avoided at all costs, though, because I swear the Double Up is rigged.

If you've ever played on an emulator and messed with saved states, yeah, it kinda is. At certain points anyway. There have been times when I chose high, lost then chose low and got a higher card. Those situations are common enough to be annoying, but not a serious game killer.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Agrias120 posted:

will dropping him off at the monster babysitter be more effective?

I don't think they level at all in there, it's just a storage place.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Now I remember what pissed me off so much about DWII: "run away" only worked about 1 out of a hundred loving times. :bang:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Adam Bowen posted:

Actually though, I have tried to use it from time to time and it's been pretty bad in almost every DQ game

I swear to god that the lower your party's stats get, the less your chance of successfully avoiding a battle become.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The other two things that make DW2 irritating as gently caress:
1. Townies who block thoroughfares and make you wait until the right combination of the moon and stars before they get out of your way.
2. The hard inventory limit.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Captain Vittles posted:

You could level those claims against a multitude of NES and SNES RPGs, and possibly even a few games from the more recent console eras.

#1 got a lot better in DW3, and was virtually eliminated in 4+. #2 was greatly helped by having 4 party members and the vault then sack in later games.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Wanting to see that end of 6 again and jesus loving christ on a cracker does there really need to be a loving monster EVERY OTHER MOTHERFUCKING STEP? Seriously, it's making the maze bits of the final dungeon take 20 times longer because I can't any sort of situational awareness going.

Edit: Totally forgot I could cast return to go straight to Deathcod. :doh:

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 9, 2011

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The first trilogy is the best trilogy. :colbert:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

That's why I was saying not to start with it, because that would turn anyone off the series.

You drat kids today :bahgawd:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Heath posted:

"I see a man with a hat who looks like a Scientist. There is a town. That which you seek may be somewhere in that town."

That sounds like you missed something in Falrish/rod.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

n0manarmy posted:

My wife and I are getting ready to move. As we are going through boxes, we found these 4 little gems. I was so happy because I seriously thought I lost them to a friend and would never get them back!

Thanks for making me even angrier that I could never find 3 in a store nearby and forgot the franchise existed for 10 years. :mad:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ross posted:

I don't recall ever seeing Dragon Warrior III in stores and I looked all over for it :(

I feel your pain. And to think how much fun I would have had with it. :smith:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SereneCrimson posted:

And it's to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series.

Oh god this makes me feel so :corsair:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I kind of wish I accepted their offer to edit the whole game for $30k over two months

So do I, that translation was horrible. Mis-spellings and grammatical errors all over the place. The fan done patches for the SNES versions of 5 and 6 are far more professional.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

AbberantBehavior posted:

did I lose any of the junk I had already thrown in there?

I've only ever played the NES version (which doesn't have the bag), but no, you shouldn't lose anything. At least, once you have that character in your party again.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

The bag re-organizing is a holdover from the primitive NES days.

None of the NES versions ever had the bag. I think 3 introduced the vault, so at least you could dump stuff that had one important function but just hogged an inventory slot afterwards.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

n0manarmy posted:

Attack, Attack, heal, Attack, Attack, heal.

I think you mean "Attack, Attack, Healmore, Attack, Healmore, Attack, Attack, Healmore."

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Why the hate for II all of a sudden?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

"Cave to Rhone"

Oh gently caress me for asking to be reminded of that. All things considered though, II's always gonna have a soft spot in my heart for being the first DQ I ever had to wait to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Luceo posted:

not having to use a STAIRS command!

:hellyeah: :hfive:

I wanna smack the little bastard who thought that was a good idea.