Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Ugh, I wish I'd bought DQ6 in Japanese like a year ago. I know Barbara was a more common name in 1995 or whatever, and it's not now, but Ashlynn? Are you serious? What kind of a name is Ashlynn?

I could never make anything of Mireiyu (or her outfit), but I guess weird humorous accents and weird English names don't really do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

I plan on importing DQM Joker 2 Professional when it comes out, so I'll definitely post about it.

I liked DQM Joker specifically because I love grinding and having the Dragonlord and Zoma in your part is just awesome.

EDIT:
Okay, watching that video it looks like they brought in a whole bunch of poo poo that's new, like Rocket Slime stuff and new skills and new monsters that I've never seen before.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 26, 2011

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not as impressed with DQVIs remake as with 4 or 5. They made a lot of improvements in the others - like in 4, they tweaked the hell out of the experience gain so everything moved along faster.

I feel like VI has the most holdover archaic elements from the old days. The encounter rate is just retardedly high, they do character spam for no reason (especially with the class system) because no one's really unique, and the class system is really tedious to master. I do like that the game is way more challenging than the super-easy IV, but otherwise it feels like a step back. I mean, you can even miss characters by making choices that you have no idea that they would cause you to lose that character forever.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Fooley posted:

Finally, if I want to try the others, should I go from the beginning or work my way backwards? I know they're only loosely connected, but I want to know if there are mechanics I'll get used to in the newer ones that will frustrate me by not being in the older ones.

DQIV and V had nice remakes in that leveling up is a lot faster and easier, and it's easy to follow the story from point to point, and maybe the encounter rates are lower. For example, it took me less than an hour to beat Ragnar's chapter in DQIV on the DS without even trying and it took way more time back on the NES.

DQVI, however, it like back on the old NES days. The encounter rate is just stupid high, you don't get half the information about classes and items and whatever like in DQIX, the class system is annoying and takes a lot of time, and most of the time they don't tell you where to go or anything.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Terpfen posted:

DQ6 DS is definitely streamlined compared to the SFC version.

Yeah, I played it back on the Super Famicom as well. The whole "number of battles for class rank" thing is really annoying by today's standards, and to say the encounter rate is high to support this is not very good justification for either system. If you level up just a little too much, or farm metal slimes/metal anything before near the end of the game, then like Hassan virtually gets no classes at all.

I also got really annoyed by the whole "not telling you where to go" thing because that mostly ended back in DQII. And then they brought it back? Great, spend hours wandering and looking for the next place to go all while fighting 606064121564265 random battles and not gaining anything from them.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Terpfen posted:

If you have a better idea of how job progression should occur, please share.

Seriously? Job levels like in DQIX. Skill points like DQ Monsters Joker. JP like in Final Fantasy Tactics. Hell, even fewer level caps would even make DQVI better. All of these later systems are way better than "grind your rear end off X battles for a mystery ability that you don't know how good it is." Even more information about the jobs and what skills they give would be a big step up.

As for the open-world, sure, it's expected. But the depth VI goes to is crazy. I remember several parts where I saw what Madame Luca said and was like "There?" because I'd explored there. And when I went back to where she said, there were no clues as to how I was supposed to get through it. It felt disjointed.

There's other nags I could say about it being just archaic, like how you can totally lose Amos on accident. It's a lot of little nags like this that made me realize that I was a freaking masochist as a kid. You guys can love it, that's your opinion. It just certainly isn't the breezy fun playthroughs that the DQIV and V remakes are, and that's what I was warning that dude about.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Terpfen posted:

Nor am I sure why “archaic” is a bad thing, considering that contemporary games consist of a series of cutscenes depicting the protagonist’s generic rage, which can be quelled only by hitting the win button.

Well it's obvious you're either a way too apologetic fanboy or a troll, so this is just about over.

I grew up playing RPGs that by today's standards can only be called "punishing." You might have a thing for those, but I'm not about to fire up The Bard's Tale or Ultima III or poo poo like that again. DQVI is very much on the punishing end of the scale.

The thing about the jobs isn't just "abstracting" the battles thing, it's giving the player choice and information. That's what's archaic and frustrating, not your little rant about modern games. Instead of making a well-designed interface full of information and still providing challenge, they just obfuscate what are today considered essential details.

If you like an era of ancient game design, more power to you. I'm way over it.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in here for multiplayer.

I don't have Terry's Wonderland, only Joker 2 Professional, and I did okay with a Metal King with regen HP/regen MP and the skill that gives all the spells, and the highest guy I could fit in the other two slots. Sometimes that was another Metal King or two, or a Strongest Metal Slime. You'd be surprised how many dudes can gently caress up even a Metal King with 200+ HP and regen HP, it blows your freaking mind.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

I need to buy a 3DS LL already. After playing IV on the DS and the horrible accents and all the BS, I like playing them in Japanese a lot better. Sure you get dialect bullshit and Sandy, but the whole accent poo poo ruined IV for me.

I am not a fan of the puns in the English games. There are only puns in monster names in Japanese, and even then they're uncommon and generally cute.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Is anyone else playing in the DQX PC beta? I just started, I'd like to get in with some goons.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there an English patch of some king?

No, but there are guides to get through the tutorial section if you need them. You also need a proxy service to fake that your IP is in Japan.

My title is from a iOS rhythm game (based on an anime, I found out later) called Love Live! High School Idol Festival which has pretty much the exact same mechanics as Puzzles and Dragons.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

I wish that all of these remakes Square Enix are making for iOS would actually come to the 3DS and Vita. Final Fantasy V, The World Ends With You, and Dragon Quest VIII are all fantastic games, but I don't want to play them on a phone.

The World Ends With You is actually a lot better on the phone, since your finger is better than a stylus and they changed the double-screen partner thing to be much better.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

But, let's face it, there's no way any of this is getting localized.

Well good news, you can access the app store of any region through iTunes, and pay in US dollars. You just can't do IAP as far as I know.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

And still holding out for DQ7 English translation at some point in life...

I don't think it'll happen. They brought over DQM2, but there hasn't been any word on Terry's Wonderland and it came out a year and a half ago.

I think the problem with these kinds of games is that they just don't sell well over here, and I don't think the Japanese companies consider a small profit to be worth the cost of translation. I think it's dumb, but I know several Japanese companies that just do not think very much about anything outside Japan. Thankfully dudes like Carpe Fulgur are trying to change that, but it's slow.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Say what now?

I remember reading one of the dudes posting about how Recettear was such a success that it helped make it easier for them to have success translating more stuff and bringing it over, because the Japanese guys had no idea something like that would sell well here.

I've certainly noticed a lot more Japanese games coming over on Steam, where PC gaming is such a different animal in Japan. Look at the top 100 bestsellers under PC gaming in Amazon Japan, and you still see Ultima Online timecards up there.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

There's only like 10 things to buy, too. After my brother told me about how people are raging at Bravely Default because "it doesn't explain anything to you," I can't imagine anyone playing DQ1 today and not being totally confused. Most of the the key items are only vaguely mentioned (like silver harp, or flute for Golem), and two whole items you have no idea what they actually do.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

No one playing DQM2 on 3DS, eh?

I'm ordering it soon, but reviews say you need to use Streetpass or whatever to interact with other 3DSs to get keys to other worlds. Lame.

Bongo Bill posted:

Lots of people could not stand the way the DS Dragon Quest localizations used accents all over the place. They are wrong, but I fear they outnumber us, so we've got to stick together.

I can't stand it. They don't do this in Japanese, except for some random inaka dialect or whatever, so it's very jarring. Also there are way fewer puns and jokes. The English versions are a very different product in a lot of ways.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 22, 2014

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

4s problem was that it wasn't a new game. I didn't grow up with Ragnar being Scottish or whatever when I owned it a a kid (in English), so when it came out again I got it in Japanese.

People hate Sandy's accent in DQ9 in Japanese, but I didn't mind it at all because I don't deal with that every day.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

In DQ9, they removed random battles which is by far the biggest change ever made to the series.

As a note, that change continues, as it's in the remake of DQ7, DQX, and all the DQ Monsters now.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

7 on the 3DS is too fresh in my head to remember how the original was. Basic jobs level up like 3 times as fast in the remake, which makes the grinding much more tolerable. Also, it means you can do all your basic jobs first then just do 3 or 4 advanced ones in a row.

Yeah but the way classes work has changed completely.

You don't keep skills between advanced classes anymore, except monster classes, so this forces you to hit monsters classes hard if you want to be anywhere near as powerful as in the original version. It's definitely easier to level up jobs, but if you lose all your Sage spells when you switch to a Superstar (to get the advanced tier next), then what's the point?

I found myself grinding monster hearts so I could get everyone "HealUs" that would actually stick around through class changes.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Retro Access posted:

It seems it would be much easier to use a proxy server on PC than Wii. Can anyone help me out?

It's really easy, as said above. I played in the PC beta test.

I didn't personally like the game much, but YMMV. Overplay VPN is super easy, you just click a widget and open the DQX client.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

I have 7 on the 3DS, the class system is dramatically different. While it's easier to level up, you don't keep most skills between classes so it turns out Monster classes are the best for actually getting skills because they keep between classes.

I don't know if this makes it better or worse than the PS1, as it's still 45 minutes to an hour before you fight anything.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

With DQ7, DQM 1, 2, and even freaking DQM:SL on the iPhone not coming out in English, it definitely seems like Square-Enix has abandoned the US market. When was the last release they announced?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

iastudent posted:

Didn't see anything about it in here, but supposedly the Dragon Quest edition PS4 comes out Dec. 11th in Japan

I really wanted to get this but I just bought a dog, so I probably won't. I also still have like 20,000 yen sitting on my Japanese PSN account too, so that probably indicates how often I console game these days. (almost never except for Destiny)

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just got reminded that DQ Heroes is coming out soonish. Were there any Japanese reviews for it? I played some Hyrule Warriors and loved it and I like the aesthetic of DQ so was interested in it.

No one responded it looks like, but I have it and really liked it. It has my favorite character (Alena) and she's badass in it. You spend a lot of time feeling like a badass and ripping apart classic DQ monsters. The monster coin/ally system is neat. If you like Musou games and Dragon Quest, you'll like it.

Some flaws are that there's a lot of repeated monsters, some skills are totally worthless, some characters are largely worthless (Flora, Crifto), and the NG+ system is pretty bad. You start over and get 50 extra skill points, but you lose all the good items (like ones you have to beat hard quests for, or mini medal ones) and the story doesn't change or anything and there's no new extra levels. The game has lots of postgame content, at least in the Japanese version.

Also, some enemies just take way too much of a beating for no reason, and I found myself just avoiding them as much as possible. Also a lot of the alchemy recipe items just aren't worth equipping when you can make 3 items that increase critical hit rate and you have skills that restore MP when you land criticals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i was doing the DQH mission "showdown at teh crown" and a mysterious swordsman appeared killed a robot and left within the span of seconds and i never saw him, just alert messages and confused dialog with my characters and nobody mentioned it again afterwards. did i miss a special event or hidden character?

Did... did you not recognize him??? How do you own this game and don't recognize him?