Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Finally got my copy of DQ6, now I can safely say I've at least played all of the core games.

I've noticed it mentioned a couple of times, but it needs to be stated in no uncertain terms: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is by far and away one of the best DS games and DQ games available.
Take the battle system of DragonQuest, the monster collecting of Pokemon and the breeding/fusing of a ShinMegami game and throw it into the same graphics engine as DQ9 and you've got one of the most under-appreciated gems of the past few years.
I'd imagine it's pretty hard to find nowadays, but if you're interested in any of the games it borrows it's concepts from, you're going to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Now go play the Dragon Warrior Monsters games for the Gameboy Color. I liked Joker, but DWM1/2 were on a whole new level of amazing and have aged surprisingly well.

What do you think it was that lead me to buying DQM: Joker in the first place ;)
I loved the original DQM games, especially with their rogue-like, randomly generated levels and encounters, but on a whole, Joker just really tied everything together in a more comprehensive package. All the systems were there and refined to a greater degree, plus the fully 3d rendered monsters and environments really gave you a great sense of scale and wonder that even the more wildly successful pokemon games have yet to fully realize.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Kiggles posted:

That is an extremely bold statement. Is there any context? My guess would be he just understands releasing on home platforms is a losing battle next to handhelds, but for all I know Nintendo might've dropped the ball somewhere.

Considering all the past main DQ games have been made for the predominant console at the time, I think it's par for the course for them to not bank on an unproven console.
If you take in the fact that Dragon Quest releases are something of a national event in Japan, whatever device is in the most hands of the Japanese will no doubt be what they design for.

Wouldn't shock me if it's the DS again.
Guaran-drat-tee it won't be 3DS.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I just wanted to step in here and say that I consider the original Deus Ex one of my favorite games of all time. I was stoked when the prequel came out and enjoyed every minute playing it. Adult, serious and touching upon deeper meaning than most games these day, I believe together they compromise one of the finest gaming experiences in recent memory.

That said, I would throw both of the discs into a stump grinder to be able to play DQM: Joker 2 right now.

Then I can breed my own lil' slimes and drackys and make 'em fight :neckbeard:

Seriously, DQM: Joker is the best DS game. This is not an opinion.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So are big monsters worth it in Joker 2? I just got to Iceolation and I have a green dragon, which takes up two spaces. I'm not convinced he's as good as two regular guys.
I'm totally addicted to raising everyone to 10 and seeing what I can get from them though.

I'm a couple of areas past Iceolation now, and in my experience so far, having three single-slot guys is definitely the way to go until you can get a decently powerful big dude from some selective breeding. Green Dragon is okay, but you'll find larger monsters that have two attack turns or hit multiple enemies. Until then, just hang with three.

Bonus Pro-Tip: Keep a high level Swarmtroop from the first area on hand. He will ruin metal slimes like nothing else.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I would have to say that Dragon Quest VIII is by far the best, classic style Japanese RPG ever. It does nothing new nor does it try to reinvent old concepts, it simply polishes established jrpg tropes to a mirror finish. I think IX (although an incredible game in it's own right) veered off the course with its grindy, Monster Hunter-esque vibe, but VIII... it made me feel like I was a kid, playing the original NES Dragon Warriors for the first time, only perfected for a modern audience.

It's kind of interesting when you look at how crazy and different the Final Fantasy series has changed over the years, constantly trying to innovate itself, whereas plucky little DQ keeps doing what it's doing.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

iastudent posted:

Swarmtroop (or any monster with Hit Squad trait) + Metal Slash = Dinner's gonna be high in iron tonight! :v:

Speaking of, the best slime hunting I've found so far is a guaranteed Liquid Metal Slime that you can get to in less than a minute.

Go to the Bemusoleum, zip to the warp point and enter the large chamber that you will or did fight the Boss in. Take the first warp to your left, clockwise from where you enter and follow the path to the little dead end ledge at the end of the path.

And there he is. Takes about a minute from entering the zone to getting to him. Plus, you can save right before fighting him, so you're more or less guaranteed a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How would you guys rate the three numbered DQ games on the DS in order from best to weakest?

As someone who has played all of the DQ games as they've been released in the US, I'd say they're as good as they were chronologically released. 4 is a terrific game and one of the first RPG's that I can recall that had distinct characters and a large party of people to choose from. 5 continues that and adds in "recruitable" monsters (although they just amount to more and varied party members to choose from, nothing wildly distinct). Then 6 further refines the class system touched upon in 3, allowing you to really customize and define your party members as you see fit.

If you're intent on playing the DS games, you should just start with 4 and play through them all. They are all terrific games. But, as with many long running series, they've just gotten better with every incarnation. So, if you're looking for the "best", just play 6.

Or to truly answer your question, from best to worst: It's 4, 5 and 6.
If anyone tells you different, they're probably not unlike me and hold a nostalgic place in their hearts for 4.