Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
So we all love talking about wrestling, and we all love wrestling news. We also love interviews with wrestlers. All of these things can be found in text form on the Internet, but nowadays we also have the option of getting them in audio form by way of podcasts! Some are good, some are great, and some are terrible. Let's use this thread to share some of our favorites/least favorites and talk about why we love/hate them!

Here are the ones I'm aware of:

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four-This is probably the one that most Wrestlehut goons are familiar with. They usually do three free shows a week (though this past week they did like five for some reason). I find it to generally be pretty informative although it's mostly just Dave/Bryan/Vinny/whoever recapping and reviewing the TV shows and PPVs. If you're a subscriber they do like 15 shows a week and I can't imagine how much worthwhile content those could possibly have.

The LAW - Live Audio Wrestling-This is probably my personal favorite. It's a Toronto-based weekly radio show that airs every Sunday on Sirius (you can also listen online). They upload the show to their website after it airs and if you listen to it this way they also include a podcast of reviews done by a couple of their hosts. The same two hosts also do weekly reviews of raw and impact.

Art of Wrestling-Weekly show hosted by indie wrestler Colt Cabana. He interviews a different person every week and it's generally pretty drat entertaining. I've only listened to a couple episodes so I don't really have much else to say about it.

Wrestlecrap Radio-This sucks, don't listen to it.

PW Torch-They do something like three shows a week and they're OK, but nothing special and the website is loaded with popups.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with, and you can get all of them through itunes as well as from their respective websites. Post some of your favorites and I'll add them to the OP.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq1--TAbBjg

Dr. Keith Presents is probably my favorite. Happy Irishmen Alan4L hosts the show and gets a variety of different people on to host with him. He also does interviews with a bunch of Indy wrestlers.

The show is about anything in wrestling. Indy wrestling. Japanese wrestling. WWE. Just a very fun show with people who are very positive about wrestling. It's another show on the Observer site.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 17, 2011

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
If you subcribe to the Observer, make sure to go back and listen to the older Bryan and Vinny show's. They're not amazing anymore but they used to be absolutely hysterical. Orlando Jordan's Time Machine was the greatest moment in the history of our sport. As was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asukXln1rMc

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I dig the podcasts on the Observer. You get Lance Storm on every other week talking about random stuff like his disappearing student who some how got into the locked house and left without anyone noticing. Also on Bryan and Vinny you get Granny every Thursday and Granny is just the best. The best dammat :colbert:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah I don't really get the Granny stuff or the "Let's talk about Bryan's cats for a half hour" stuff. Is there something I'm missing or do I just not give a poo poo about cat stories?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Bryan and Vinny Show TNA reviews from the archives are my favorite things ever

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
http://iwantwrestling.com/

Former WWE/ROH/Friends writer Dave Lagana has two different podcast shows starting up. One series is "Formerly Creative," which features him talking about the business and the backstage culture at WWE with other past members of their creative team, and other is "Press the Press" which spotlights wrestling journalists and the like. There are three episodes of the former and one of the latter up thus far, and they've all been pretty interesting and well produced.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I have to go back to an old Da Sharpshooters show and find my favorite clip. They were talking about Cena being allowed to come back for his farewell address after he'd been fired, and it went something like: "You can't let someone back in to the company after they've been fired! They're gonna shoot up the place and kill everyone."

There was not even a hint of a joke in this statement. It was completely serious.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Bryan and Vinny Show TNA reviews from the archives are my favorite things ever

I thoroughly enjoy hearing Bryan Alvarez lose his poo poo over how dumb TNA is. It's actually kind of fascinating.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
It's the sole reason I subscribe

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Cabana's podcast is great and free and I recommend it to anyone who likes interviews. Since he's friends with everyone he interviews (usually anyway) he gets to ask questions normal interviewers might not ask.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

2 of my favorite rants from Alvarez in the last year:

TNA moves to Mondays: Part 1 - Part 2

VINCE RUSSO: Part 1 - Part 2

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The Victory Road 2009 (Jenna vs Sharmell) review episode of Observer Live opening with a heavy sigh never ceases to make me laugh

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
The best Bryan rant is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDZ-ZHB6ZU

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
I co-host a podcast that I know some on here are aware of called Smart Wrestling Fan. I promise you it's not as smarky as it sounds! It was actually the first wrestling podcast on iTunes too, I believe, we've been doing weekly shows for almost 6 years now.

Please don't hate me for plugging my own show but I loved it when I was just a listener and then I became a co-host and I'd like to think that it's still good!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

dshban posted:

I co-host a podcast that I know some on here are aware of called Smart Wrestling Fan. I promise you it's not as smarky as it sounds! It was actually the first wrestling podcast on iTunes too, I believe, we've been doing weekly shows for almost 6 years now.

Please don't hate me for plugging my own show but I loved it when I was just a listener and then I became a co-host and I'd like to think that it's still good!

bring back Watching

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Jim Cornette used to have a semi-regular podcast @ http://whosslammingwho.podomatic.com/

I think he was supposed to start updating it again this month but plans can change at anytime as many of you are familiar.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Akileese posted:

I thoroughly enjoy hearing Bryan Alvarez lose his poo poo over how dumb TNA is. It's actually kind of fascinating.

My favorite thing is when Bryan recaps something that happened on TNA with a totally neutral inflection, and I think of what's wrong before he tells me.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

dshban posted:

This is where it's at folks.

Bryan's NXT rant always gets me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I remember a while back there was some website that did a radio show after WWE PPVs and it was some of the most hilariously pathetic call ins I've ever heard mixed with a terrible chat that was ungodly entertaining to read.

Does anyone remember what that was?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

2 of my favorite rants from Alvarez in the last year:

TNA moves to Mondays: Part 1 - Part 2

VINCE RUSSO: Part 1 - Part 2

Am I the only one who thinks this makes Alvarez looks way worse just by virtue of caring THIS much?

e: nevermind the Russo one just got really good

yall walker
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
In the same vein as Smart Wrestling Fan, there's RBR: Weekly Wrestling Talk. They do their live show on Saturday nights, and release it as a podcast overnight. It's just four guys talking about the week in wrestling, with a some off topic stuff strewn about. I imagine it is what this forum would be in podcast form. They also bring wrestlers on the show to interview them. Some of the ones in the past include Batista, Tyler Black, Maria, and Shad.

One of the former co-hosts is also a goon. Can't remember his forums name.

yall walker fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 17, 2011

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Karmine posted:

Wrestlecrap Radio-This sucks, don't listen to it.

This podcast is completely, totally, and unabashedly lovely, and I love it. :3:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As fun as Alvarez is to listen to most of the time it's exactly the opposite for Meltzer. He's a horrible speaker. He runs off on some of the stupidest tangents. He can't string more than three words together without a 'ya know' or an 'umm' or an awkwardly long pause. Half the time Bryan tries to coax some coherent conversation from him he respond 'Ehhhh, I dunno' after a long pause and then proceeds to stumble over his words while trying to tell us why he doesn't know. And he's absolutely clueless about the simplest poo poo half the time. At least his newsletters are full of good info, that is if you can get over his very awkward writing style.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

My favorite thing is when Bryan recaps something that happened on TNA with a totally neutral inflection, and I think of what's wrong before he tells me.

He does it for that very reason I think. He likes to play the "Do you see what's wrong here?" bit. He's so good at it.

e: Oh my god, I never heard the TNA monday night right. This is absolutely epic. I finally get the gold boat reference.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 17, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

As fun as Alvarez is to listen to most of the time it's exactly the opposite for Meltzer. He's a horrible speaker. He runs off on some of the stupidest tangents. He can't string more than three words together without a 'ya know' or an 'umm' or an awkwardly long pause. Half the time Bryan tries to coax some coherent conversation from him he respond 'Ehhhh, I dunno' after a long pause and then proceeds to stumble over his words while trying to tell us why he doesn't know. And he's absolutely clueless about the simplest poo poo half the time. At least his newsletters are full of good info, that is if you can get over his very awkward writing style.

Half the time is a complete exaggeration. Meltzer will more often than not know a hell of a lot of history about what is being talked about. Sometimes there will be a question he doesn't know, but they are in the minority and are usually about something pretty obscure. At least he's being honest. Do you expect them to pre-screen callers or mailbag questions for stuff they know, or make poo poo up?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxLZA_VgszU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've been listening to the LAW for just over a year. The one thing that I really enjoy more than the actual LAW podcast itself is Review-a-Wai / Raw / Impact. Wai and Pollack just hanging out talking about old PPV's and the current WWE and TNA stuff.

I would recommend at least listening to the last hour of the weekly LAW show as well as both of Wai and Pollacks Review-A-(whatever) podcasts because they are loving hilarious.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Chilly McFreeze posted:

bring back Watching

We had the exciting conclusion already though!! Find me another fan fiction that horribly written and I'll consider it, though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPsZUJtwPw

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bryan Alvarez is my hero.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I don't care if this isn't actually David Flair style, this is the greatest internet video.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Akileese posted:

He does it for that very reason I think. He likes to play the "Do you see what's wrong here?" bit. He's so good at it.

e: Oh my god, I never heard the TNA monday night right. This is absolutely epic. I finally get the gold boat reference.

And for those that don't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgK5GfoW1Dc

Just got done with the TNA rant, where I'd heard the gold boat part before but not the whole thing. Jesus that was amazing.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Graic posted:

The best Bryan rant is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDZ-ZHB6ZU

Co-signed.

'We are wild and young. gently caress YOU! :argh:'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

https://www.bryanalvarez.com

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I listen to about half the stuff on F4W/Observer, the Lance Storm every other week is usually good. The Jericho interview a week or so ago was great also.

One of my favorite things is reading the old Observer archives they release. He just released the ones around the time of the Sid/Arn scissors incident. My only complaint with the Observers is the paragraphs are like 2 pages long, for the love of god Meltzer, hit your enter key once and a while, would make reading it much much easier.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

I haven't listened to week 3 yet, but how in the blue hell did you wind up being interviewed by Alvarez?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

I've been wanting to listen to those but just haven't jumped in yet. Knowing you're on one means I'm downloading it now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I haven't listened to week 3 yet, but how in the blue hell did you wind up being interviewed by Alvarez?

Before he started the show I asked him if he'd be interested in using some of my friend's music as the theme and that it's too bad my specialty is debunking conspiracies or it'd be fun to do the show. (Since to me it is far less interesting to hear how things are wrong.) He said that actually he'd love to do that kind of a show and asked when I'd like to do it.

I have a MA in Political Science so I sound sort of impressive as a guest too. (Not really.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
The only one I listen to regularly is Kick-Out Radio at http://www.kickoutwrestling.com/ - probably the most professional sounding podcast I've heard, and he knows his stuff

• Locked thread