Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
You want famous people? Uhh... well... Dave Prazak listens to Smart Wrestling Fan and is in our live Stickam chat during the show sometimes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, well Alvarez and Meltzer will have a Hart on their show on Wednesday! :smug:

It's Bruce. :shobon:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's racist dog will never be on the show again :(

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

Dave's racist dog will never be on the show again :(

I can't help but wonder. Dave said his dog died right before Raw, which caused him to miss the beginning of the show, but he still caught most of it. So, how does that work: is he watching Raw in his living room while his dead dog is somewhere else in the house, did he run outside real quick and bury it, did he call someone to take care of it? I'd send in that question to the mailbag, but then he'd probably answer it seriously and I'm not sure I want that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd assume he spent the previous few hours at the vet hospital or whatever, and happened to get back a few minutes after Raw started.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume he spent the previous few hours at the vet hospital or whatever, and happened to get back a few minutes after Raw started.

Why did you have to ruin it with logic?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

dshban posted:

You want famous people? Uhh... well... Dave Prazak listens to Smart Wrestling Fan and is in our live Stickam chat during the show sometimes!

I listen to SWF anyway, but the problem with the show is actually Joe's sources. Where in the blue hell does he find them? The dirtsheets are sites like Wrestling Observer and PWInsider, not NoDQ or wherever he finds them. Meltzer is much more accurate than the free sites.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

ChampRamp posted:

I listen to SWF anyway, but the problem with the show is actually Joe's sources. Where in the blue hell does he find them? The dirtsheets are sites like Wrestling Observer and PWInsider, not NoDQ or wherever he finds them. Meltzer is much more accurate than the free sites.

No idea, but I think we're pretty discerning about sources and stuff. Most of our news is reported in the "news bits and rumours/news bits and lies" category.

Although, if you want to talk about sources, one of our listeners who works at the arena in Oakland where Raw was last night apparently found a shredded piece of paper with the WM card on it and we're gonna look at it tonight. So that could be interesting!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I really like Formerly Creative with Dave Lagana. It gives a pretty neat insight on how awful the creative process is. The one with Court is a bit mindblowing. How the hell is creative supposed to do their job if Stephanie is saying they can't interact with the talent?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The more I listen to Formerly Creative the more it makes me wonder why the top two or three people in WWE are wanting to sabotage their own business. Some of the ways they do things are mindblowingly bad and they are slowly driving the entire company into the ground by rejecting anything new or creative of any actual quality.

That and stuff like Akileese mentioned above - writers are not allowed to interact with talent and many other really stupid decisions.

Edit: Also that the writers never actually see the shows :psyduck:

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2011

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The more I listen to Formerly Creative the more it makes me wonder why the top two or three people in WWE are wanting to sabotage their own business.

I don't think it's so much that they want to sabotage it. Some guys, like Dunn and Ace, just seem to do whatever slimy poo poo it takes to hold their top spot. Guys like Hayes seem to be utterly entrenched in the old ways, regardless of if they work any more or not.

Vince seems clueless because he's surrounded by 'yes men' and Steph seems to think that dad's way is the right way.

It really is a mess.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

In podcast number 3 (Jensen Karp) they mention that Vince once went on a one hour speech about how Wild Hogs was his favorite movie. I think that's really telling.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm shocked Vince has even heard of Wild Hogs.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

In podcast number 3 (Jensen Karp) they mention that Vince once went on a one hour speech about how Wild Hogs was his favorite movie. I think that's really telling.
I listened to that Pod Cast and only after reading your post did I realise which film Road Hog's actually was, you're right this explains a lot, I didn't think Vince would actually buy into this kind of thing as an audience member, I always pictured him more as a self assessed intellectual who would think this kind of thing was beneath him as entertainment. I also thought the content he produces wasn't largely something that reflected his own tastes rather the perceived tastes of his audience..

I think these views need to be re-assessed.

In reference to what Mr. Carlisle said, I don't believe it's intentional self sabotage, I think these people genuinely do believe that their opinion is far more informed and they are far better judges of what is a good idea within the context of the industry and therefore their ideas and opinions are more valid.

It makes you wonder how they justify spending a great deal of money employing a creative team when it seems the vast majority of the ideas, concepts and direction that they spend the time they are being paid for developing is rejected and dismissed so readily and if what we're lead to believe is true eventuates into not6hing tangible within the product most of the time.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 25, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Living Vicariously posted:

I don't think it's so much that they want to sabotage it. Some guys, like Dunn and Ace, just seem to do whatever slimy poo poo it takes to hold their top spot. Guys like Hayes seem to be utterly entrenched in the old ways, regardless of if they work any more or not.

Vince seems clueless because he's surrounded by 'yes men' and Steph seems to think that dad's way is the right way.

It really is a mess.

A lot of companies are like that though. People in the top positions always want to clutch at their position for as long as possible. Hell, it's actually one of the prime examples of what pro wrestling talent does.

I still think eventually someone is going to realize that the system is broken and pull the trigger on some huge changes. I have no insight as to what those changes are and how theyd come about though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Akileese posted:

I still think eventually someone is going to realize that the system is broken and pull the trigger on some huge changes. I have no insight as to what those changes are and how theyd come about though.

That's the thing though - in those situations the very same people that were so desperately clinging onto their 'spot' in the company end up being sent packing anyway due to re-organizations and house cleanings because things are going so badly and business is down. The sad part is all the quality talent and careers that are lost along the way before its finally realized who the problematic people are.

Then again this is WWE so they'll probably fire everyone except the people causing the problems.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Hopefully when Vince dies, Triple H will be reasonable enough to sledgehammer the gently caress out of Dunn and Ace.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Hopefully when Vince dies, Triple H will be reasonable enough to sledgehammer the gently caress out of Dunn and Ace.

Unfortunately, Dunn and Ace are two of Steph's favourites

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After listening to Bryan and Vinny's show last night I think I may need to find a way to watch last night's Impact show. Holy poo poo it sounds hilarious.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Review a Raw / Impact are probably my 2 favorite things to listen to.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Deadpool posted:

After listening to Bryan and Vinny's show last night I think I may need to find a way to watch last night's Impact show. Holy poo poo it sounds hilarious.

Honest to god I tried this last week and got halfway through (The apparent lesbian love triangle) before I just couldn't take it anymore and gave up.

I mean, bad wrestling TV is one thing, but Impact is just bad tv period. I really thought Bryan was exaggerating when he said how awful Impact was week in and out. He isn't.

Also the Bryan and Vinny show is probably the best show that the Observer puts out.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Akileese posted:

Honest to god I tried this last week and got halfway through (The apparent lesbian love triangle) before I just couldn't take it anymore and gave up.

I mean, bad wrestling TV is one thing, but Impact is just bad tv period. I really thought Bryan was exaggerating when he said how awful Impact was week in and out. He isn't.

Also the Bryan and Vinny show is probably the best show that the Observer puts out.

The Adrenaline Flush series that's someone's put up on THE BOARD is a compilation of every B&V rundown of impact in any given month. The July 2009 always gets me in stitches. I wish I could post it here simply because it's the best thing to demonstrate how funny B&V are.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The LAW just had a really good interview with Chris Jericho last night and you should all check it out.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The Adrenaline Flush series that's someone's put up on THE BOARD is a compilation of every B&V rundown of impact in any given month. The July 2009 always gets me in stitches. I wish I could post it here simply because it's the best thing to demonstrate how funny B&V are.

Do you have a link to the thread on THE BOARD? It shouldn't count as piracy since no-one can view it without an active subscription

EDIT: found it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

david lagana's podcast is real cool. i know its been mentioned a lot already but should definitely check it out. the show with robert flores was good.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Congrats on getting the scoop dshban. Sorry that it was confirmed on such a terrible raw.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Congrats on getting the scoop dshban. Sorry that it was confirmed on such a terrible raw.

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Yesterday, on Wrestling Observer Radio, Meltzer and Alvarez went on a five minute tangent about John Cena possibly being afraid to shower, water polo, and other H20 related subjects. I have no idea why, but I enjoyed it a lot and it's a free show, so you can too.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Borh posted:

Yesterday, on Wrestling Observer Radio, Meltzer and Alvarez went on a five minute tangent about John Cena possibly being afraid to shower, water polo, and other H20 related subjects. I have no idea why, but I enjoyed it a lot and it's a free show, so you can too.

Please, everyone listen to this. It's the perfect introduction to the Dave/Bryan WO Radio shows.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Borh posted:

Yeah! Dynamite Dave Meltzer got his head held underwater by bullies hundreds of times and it never caused any um yeah yeah yeah the thing about that is yep well you see um.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah that tangent was weird and ridiculous. I can't tell if Dave doesn't know how to talk like he's joking or he just wasn't even joking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"What is Vince lives to be 150?"

"He won't."

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

MassRayPer posted:

"He won't."

The cockiness of a 150 year old vince would be amazing.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

"Scientists believe that the first person to live to be 150 years old has already been born. I believe I am that person."

This is from an episode of Parks and Recreation but I could absolutely hear Vince McMahon saying it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Karmine posted:

"Scientists believe that the first person to live to be 150 years old has already been born. I believe I am that person."

This is from an episode of Parks and Recreation but I could absolutely hear Vince McMahon saying it.

I now have this horrible fear that Vince McMahon will somehow find a way to either live forever or live through some form of holographic technology.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karmine posted:

Yeah that tangent was weird and ridiculous. I can't tell if Dave doesn't know how to talk like he's joking or he just wasn't even joking.

He's very deadpan, but I do think he was genuinely surprised that Bryan's afraid of water.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

"He won't."

I thought he almost topped that one with:

"Maybe someone tried to drown him [Cena] when he was younger and he's hated water ever since."

"I don't believe that's true!"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The latest Formerly Creative mentioned that the host thinks what it is nowadays is that Vince is just bored and gets a kick out of tearing people down and seeing how they'll react to it and is basically playing a game for his amusement with the company now instead of focusing on the end result of the product that ends up on television.

With the way any good ideas are immediately squashed and how they seem to love pushing a guy only to knock them back down the card I wouldn't say its out of the question.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The latest Formerly Creative mentioned that the host thinks what it is nowadays is that Vince is just bored and gets a kick out of tearing people down and seeing how they'll react to it and is basically playing a game for his amusement with the company now instead of focusing on the end result of the product that ends up on television.

With the way any good ideas are immediately squashed and how they seem to love pushing a guy only to knock them back down the card I wouldn't say its out of the question.

It was less that he's playing a game with the company than that he pokes and prods his employees to judge how they'll react and if they're worthy of his respect. Along the lines of what Jericho describes in Undisputed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There's testing a guy to see how well he does under pressure and then there's killing careers and squashing money making ideas just because you want to see how someone will react. Vince seems to be taking it to an extreme just for his own amusement.

Every former creative member that the host has had on thus far has mentioned many of the same things. Good ideas are likely to get squashed if they didn't come directly from Vince or Stephanie. No matter how much effort they put into writing something it usually changes on the day and is whatever Vince feels like seeing on television that day and that's why things are so much the same all the time. People blame creative for things being poorly written but their ideas rarely get through in the first place. He's had like five members of creative on his show thus far and they've all mentioned the same things consistently. Maybe fans have been directing their anger at the wrong people for the last few years judging by what actually goes on backstage and with the agendas that a few select people seem to have.

Who knows. What I do know is that I personally place less blame on 'creative' nowadays and more on Vince for what seems to be his obsession with running his own company into the ground because he's an out-of-touch old man who enjoys backstage games and his own amusement more than putting on a quality product and turning things around.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 3, 2011

• Locked thread