Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every Christmas, Bryan and Vinny get completely shithoused, open presents from fans and drunk dial a bunch of their industry contacts. Last year Bryan blacked out and at one point came to after eating a bunch of Costco muffins with no idea what had happened for the last hour.

Get drunk and listen to this. It's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Victory Road 2009 review was great. I love how when Bryan was going to bring in meltzer he says "We are going to bring in Dave Meltzer and if he gives this anything but a big thumbs down we are gonna have a little chit-chat"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sotar posted:

Victory Road 2009 review was great. I love how when Bryan was going to bring in meltzer he says "We are going to bring in Dave Meltzer and if he gives this anything but a big thumbs down we are gonna have a little chit-chat"

I love Dave's analysis of No Surrender 2009. Bryan tries to defend Sting letting AJ win the title as not the stupidest thing they've done and Dave has this awesome anti-TNA rant in response. You know you are in for something good if Dave hated a show more than Bryan.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Which show was Orlando Jordan's Time Machine on?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Which show was Orlando Jordan's Time Machine on?

Last I checked it is not in the actual archive and you need to go to one of the stickied threads on the board. I believe it is September 18th 2005.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Last I checked it is not in the actual archive and you need to go to one of the stickied threads on the board. I believe it is September 18th 2005.

Ah yeah, found it, thanks

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Their archives are pretty hosed. Their whole site is, really. When you click on a news update, even if you're a subscriber, there are seven-or-eight pages trying to sell you on the Observer issue you already bought before getting to the news.

The site has a pretty huge learning curve and THE BOARD has too many drat huge signatures, but it's still definitely worth it.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm working my way through the F4W Best of 2009. I just listened to the entire "How do you pronounce 'roof'?" saga and I loving died

evale
Dec 20, 2009
(disregard)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I lol'd at Lance saying he'd seen people get go home cues during their ring entrances in WCW. Oh man...

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

What's everybody's favorite Bryan and Vinny moments? Those shows are basically some of the funniest things I can remember in the wrestling business that doesn't involve PWG or CHIKARA.

"Let's play a song here. 'Someone is back?!' What is this..."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The best thing I've learned from Formerly Creative is that Vince's favorite movie is Wild Hogs.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Mega GIRL posted:

"Let's play a song here. 'Someone is back?!' What is this..."

Are you referring to "My boyfriend's back and you're gonna be in trouble! Hey now! Hey now! Chris Benoit killed his family."?

What's great about that drop is that it got played at least twice before Bryan finally deleted it.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Grant DaNasty posted:

Are you referring to "My boyfriend's back and you're gonna be in trouble! Hey now! Hey now! Chris Benoit killed his family."?

What's great about that drop is that it got played at least twice before Bryan finally deleted it.

Yes, that was in the "Best of 2009" comp too. loving ace

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yes, that was in the "Best of 2009" comp too. loving ace

Could you point me in the direction of the best of 2009 comp? I seem to find it in the compilation thread on The Board

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=88440&hilit=best+2009

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sportsgenius86 posted:

The best thing I've learned from Formerly Creative is that Vince's favorite movie is Wild Hogs.

The only Vince story to compete with that is Paul Heyman talking about Vince competing with his own sneezes.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was most surprised to hear how manhy of the 'Hollywood' writers were wrestling fans anyway and how many who weren't reportedly were so willing and interested in adapting to the wrestling world.

I've really enjoyed these pod casts and it's made me really appreciate just how hard the writers work and it's given me a lot of respect for the writers who managed to stick around for any length of time. I'm amazed that anyone is able to work under those conditions with the minimal amount of perks they get out of their job, at least wrestlers get recognition and fans and the thrill of performing as intensive, where as the writers don't seem to get anything like that.

It's really sad hearing about how little of a life they are able to have outside of their jobs, I hope that financially they're compensated adequately.

They seem like really cool guys mostly and I think Lagana is doing a really good job of his aim to humanise them and give fans an idea of the process they go through with the company and make them think twice about where they direct their criticism.

I can't help but feel bad for them, especially with how passionate the one's Lagana has interviewed seemed about their jobs when a lot of their hard work seems to amount to very little or nothing in the actual product by the time it goes through all of their superiors.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 11, 2011

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How did Bryan and Lance get to be such good friends anyways? I mean, they gotta be pretty close for Lance to travel to Bothell for Bryan's wedding.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Capsaicin posted:

How did Bryan and Lance get to be such good friends anyways? I mean, they gotta be pretty close for Lance to travel to Bothell for Bryan's wedding.

Something that you pick up on after awhile is that although Dave talks to everyone, Bryan has more close friends among wrestlers. This came out in the Benoit aftermath when Dave revealed to the surprise of nobody that Benoit was a source for 20 years, but it was Bryan that was actually personally close to Benoit. Probably a worker vs. reporter thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

I was most surprised to hear how manhy of the 'Hollywood' writers were wrestling fans anyway and how many who weren't reportedly were so willing and interested in adapting to the wrestling world.

I've really enjoyed these pod casts and it's made me really appreciate just how hard the writers work and it's given me a lot of respect for the writers who managed to stick around for any length of time. I'm amazed that anyone is able to work under those conditions with the minimal amount of perks they get out of their job, at least wrestlers get recognition and fans and the thrill of performing as intensive, where as the writers don't seem to get anything like that.

It's really sad hearing about how little of a life they are able to have outside of their jobs, I hope that financially they're compensated adequately.

They seem like really cool guys mostly and I think Lagana is doing a really good job of his aim to humanise them and give fans an idea of the process they go through with the company and make them think twice about where they direct their criticism.

I can't help but feel bad for them, especially with how passionate the one's Lagana has interviewed seemed about their jobs when a lot of their hard work seems to amount to very little or nothing in the actual product by the time it goes through all of their superiors.

It's mainly just proved to me that who they hire or retain as writers means next to nothing because all those people do is carry out other people's ridiculously lovely decisions.

I thought it was sad when they talked about Big Dick Johnson going on vacation by himself because he didn't have any non-WWE friends.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Grant DaNasty posted:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Something that you pick up on after awhile is that although Dave talks to everyone, Bryan has more close friends among wrestlers. This came out in the Benoit aftermath when Dave revealed to the surprise of nobody that Benoit was a source for 20 years, but it was Bryan that was actually personally close to Benoit. Probably a worker vs. reporter thing.

Very true, I get the feeling that while Bryan doesn't have the same rep as Dave in the industry, when he starts talking to people, they get to see him as 'one of the boys' so it's not nearly such a purely professional journalist/source relationship.

And with Lance specifically, I'd say it's the same as how you end up friends with any co-worker. You start talking while you work, then you're emailing or chatting via Skype or something, and boom, you're pals. It's pretty telling that Bryan's one of the few people Lance has done an actual match with since he opened his school.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't think this is true at all. When you listen to Dave's stories and see how long he has known some of the wrestlers he interviews it is very clear that Dave is closer to more wrestlers than Bryan. Not counting wrestlers in the PNW indie scene.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm shocked he didn't try to turn it into an angle somehow with himself, Briscoe and Patterson.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think this is true at all. When you listen to Dave's stories and see how long he has known some of the wrestlers he interviews it is very clear that Dave is closer to more wrestlers than Bryan. Not counting wrestlers in the PNW indie scene.

This was probably true 20 years ago, but Dave isn't taking frequent trips to Japan as essentially one of the American boys anymore. Perhaps Dave is just being more professional and hiding his personal relationships better. I don't get the sense that he has major personal biases and I do all the time with Bryan.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

shithoused

Kinda off-topic, but thank you for introducing me to this term - I can't stop picturing it and laughing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HulkaMatt posted:

:roflolmao:

That is awesome.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

LordPants posted:

:roflolmao:

That is awesome.

The best part is Bryan cutting it off halfway through the Benoit Killed part with "Goddamnit!."

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

The best part is Bryan cutting it off halfway through the Benoit Killed part with "Goddamnit!."

Yeah that and he gets caught by it 4 times by the end I was laughing pretty hard just from that, and the fact you could feel his hate coming through the speaker.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Bryan needs to learn how to segue to his guests, it's always this, "And we'll be back with Lance Storm on the show" followed immediately by "And we're back with Lance Storm."

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Is that Chris Benoit song available anywhere?

I know, I'm a horrible person but I really want to hear it in full now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Is that Chris Benoit song available anywhere?

I know, I'm a horrible person but I really want to hear it in full now.

That is it in full.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Angry Alvarez is the Best Alvarez.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Cactus Jack posted:

Angry Alvarez is the Best Alvarez.

I was about to post Bryan ranting about "Wild and Young" but F4W made youtube take it down :(

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

If we're talking songs on the B&V show, nothing tops "Barrel of rear end" and "You hosed~! a Pirate".

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

If we're talking songs on the B&V show, nothing tops "Barrel of rear end" and "You hosed~! a Pirate".

Are you serious, bro?

Alastor_the_Stylish fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2011

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
A LAW listener gets into a :siren: FACEBOOK ARGUMENT :siren: with everyone's favorite person:

FACE CRIPPLE.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is that a fake Russo? That can't be the real Russo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Gatts posted:

Is that a fake Russo? That can't be the real Russo...

I had that thought but I hope it's real.

• Locked thread