Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ending up ordering the MT190CXPRO3 with a Feisol CB-40D head. Had to keep reminding myself it'd be a (hopefully) life long investment to get over the cost. Would have bought it in the US but thanks to those drat Scots the pound is in the shitter.

After seeing the Manfrotto BeFree carbon in store, it felt really unstable extended compared to the 190, which felt rock solid. Seems like around 1.6kg is the sweet spot for lightness and stability. Its a shame none of the big-name brands are readily available in the UK for me to have tried. Just £1,500 Gitzos as far as the eye can see.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I've never used one, but the Gitzos seem really overpriced. I have a carbon Feisol that I really like that was a lot cheaper.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was considering the feisol, but the price difference wasn't too great, and I feel like the super low ground clearance and easy horizontal column might come in handy at least once in a while.

Either way I really don't want to spend any more money. Thankfully the new iPhone looks a bit crap. :v:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I have a carbon fibre Giottos that's served me well.

Actually, I overtightened the Manfrotto bullhead I had on it, was stuck on for a few years (not really an issue since it's my only tripod and only head :v:). Finally got around to taking the top of the central column off, putting the head + top piece in the freezer for a few hours, and voila, thing came right off!

I am probably gonna sell the legs (and likely the head) soonish, as I no longer shoot large format and am thinking about getting rid of my Hassie system too, leaving me with just mirrorless. I've kinda turned my nose up at Gorillapods before, but one came with my GoPro and when I used it for the first time last month on my A7, it acquitted itself surprisingly well for my uses.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ugh, I was so concerned about price/weight I forgot to check if the bloody thing fits in my backpack. It doesn't. I have an option of strapping it to the side but it doesn't feel very secure. Guess I'll have to eat the return shipping and get something like the Feisol 3441S instead.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 18, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

Ugh, I was so concerned about price/weight I forgot to check if the bloody thing fits in my backpack. It doesn't. I have an option of strapping it to the side but it doesn't feel very secure. Guess I'll have to eat the return shipping and get something like the Feisol 3441S instead.

Wouldn't this be a preferred way of carrying a tripod anyways? Seems like it'd be a colossal pain in the rear end to extract a tripod from the insides of a backpack.

Most modern packs have external tie downs to be used for stuff like that too. I prefer mine vertical because it gets snagged on foliage less, but horizontal works too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

Wouldn't this be a preferred way of carrying a tripod anyways? Seems like it'd be a colossal pain in the rear end to extract a tripod from the insides of a backpack.

Most modern packs have external tie downs to be used for stuff like that too. I prefer mine vertical because it gets snagged on foliage less, but horizontal works too.

It's more for transport when on a plane, I'd like to be able to put it inside the backpack rather than dangling off the side. My Kata backpack strap just didn't feel secure with the tall Manfrotto.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Is there any downside to using a video head for still photos?

I'm looking at this one tripod that I saw in store and it had a head and legs that I really liked, I just want to make sure there's nothing I'm overlooking that would make me regret this.

Here's the one I was looking at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896847-REG/Benro_a1573fs2_A1573F_SERS_1_AL.html

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

piratepilates posted:

Is there any downside to using a video head for still photos?

I'm looking at this one tripod that I saw in store and it had a head and legs that I really liked, I just want to make sure there's nothing I'm overlooking that would make me regret this.

Here's the one I was looking at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896847-REG/Benro_a1573fs2_A1573F_SERS_1_AL.html
Video heads only do tilt (lens pointed up or down) and pan, still heads have a third axis for sideways tilt -- to use the aeronautical terms, video heads do pitch and yaw, heads meant for still cameras have a roll axis too. A video head will be difficult to work with, mainly in that it will prevent you shooting verticals with any camera made after 1975 (the old press cameras like the Speed Graphic had two tripod sockets, one on the bottom and one on the left side, SLRs only have the one), and be a pain in the rear end to correct for uneven ground -- you could mismatch the leg extension, or put the camera on the head at an angle, as opposed to just turning the third knob on a regular head and tilting the camera however you want.

Edit: well, you could put the camera on sideways to shoot vertical, but then you'd lose the pitch adjustment.

Edward IV posted:

I also noticed that the X-T1's grip plate has a smaller threaded hole near the open end. ... Any idea what the hole is actually for?

In line with the tripod-mount hole? That's for a set screw to keep video cameras from twisting on their mounts.

I have a Manfrotto 3221WN with 3030 head; it's way overbuilt for a consumer-grade DSLR, holds a 10-pound Speed Graphic with lightsaber flash, 4x5 monorail, or pro DSLR with big lens just fine. The "WN" means it has foam on the upper parts of the legs to carry it on your shoulder; I'd recommend getting the naked version (something like $20-$30 cheaper when I got it, now discontinued but surely they have something similar) and spending $5 for six feet of pipe insulation -- the foam on the WN isn't much softer than the aluminum; Armaflex is nice and squishy, and cheap enough to replace when it wears out. And/or just cover it in gaffer tape so it doesn't wear out.

It's very much a "short hike from the car" or "moving around a lot but not far" rig, it's pretty heavy, but solid. It's a great lightweight studio or close-to-the-car landscape rig, but not for backpacking.

In other news, I can get all the 1/4"-20 bolts I want for free from my day job; any suggestions on DIY camera mounts?

I'm thinking of welding a bunch of them to a C-clamp at different angles to make a sturdier poor man's version of this for use when I can't be arsed to carry the big tripod, and have windowsills/fences/trees/car luggage racks handy. It would fit inside or hang on the strap of the camera bag. And or course put threaded stubs on the clamping bits so I could swap between carious jaws -- flat plates with padding for flat things, angle iron for pipe handrails, one flat and one angle for car roof racks, &c.
I suppose I could get by with one, maybe two bolts on the C-clamp and put the tripod head on them, but tripod heads have a bigger thread than cameras, don't they? On the other hand, there are thread adapters/helicoils for that, right?

Or with a few bits of wood and some hinges, I could build a thing -- too tired to fully engineer it right now, but basically a Z-shaped arrangement -- that sits on a flat surface and allows for altitude adjustment via wingnuts, and azimuth by just turning the whole thing, and folds flat. Glue some of that grippy toolbox-drawer lining stuff to the bottom so it can sit on slightly angled surfaces. Basically a video head on a plank.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 15, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I ordered a Manfrotto BeFree on Amazon Warehouse for $185, new but damaged box. I do a lot of travelling, did I get the right thing?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I found someone selling a Manfrotto 058B for 100 euros. :stare: It's the same tripod that I get when I borrow Sinars from school and usually my experience involves a lot of swearing but still, for that price I'm willing to drive an hour or two to check it out.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Stuck between a MeFoto Globetrotter and Roadtrip. Globetrotter is only $20 more and 1 lb heavier than the Roadtrip, but I was leaning towards the Roadtrip mainly because I'd probably carry it on hikes, but I'm worried about it's stability. Is it pretty sturdy, or should I just deal with an extra pound of weight and go with the Globetrotter? How do they compare, considering the price gap is relatively small?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Have you guys ever tried or heard about some of the cheap carbon fibre travel tripods off aliexpress - like this one? I'm sorely tempted to try it out since you just can't get lightweight stuff at that price elsewhere, but obviously it's cheap Chinese stuff so I'm slightly wary. On the other hand, everything's cheap Chinese stuff and for all I know they're out of the same factory as Giotto or whatever, so I really have no clue what to think.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jimlad posted:

Have you guys ever tried or heard about some of the cheap carbon fibre travel tripods off aliexpress - like this one? I'm sorely tempted to try it out since you just can't get lightweight stuff at that price elsewhere, but obviously it's cheap Chinese stuff so I'm slightly wary. On the other hand, everything's cheap Chinese stuff and for all I know they're out of the same factory as Giotto or whatever, so I really have no clue what to think.

I use a very similar tripod - shady Chinese poo poo from eBay - and it's fine for shooting my 4x5 on. Just replace the stock ballhead with something nicer, the legs should be fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoff Zahn posted:

Stuck between a MeFoto Globetrotter and Roadtrip. Globetrotter is only $20 more and 1 lb heavier than the Roadtrip, but I was leaning towards the Roadtrip mainly because I'd probably carry it on hikes, but I'm worried about it's stability. Is it pretty sturdy, or should I just deal with an extra pound of weight and go with the Globetrotter? How do they compare, considering the price gap is relatively small?

I have the globetrotter and it isn't actually that stable compared to a real tripod. The legs are pretty spindly. I'd imagine the roadtrip is even worse. the twist lock leg system is also stupid and kind of slow. Quick releases or even screw locks work better.
The globetrotter though is pretty compact and light (which is why I keep it around), a pound isn't that much. The extra height is nice as all these tripods are pretty short and I'm tall. It does get much more stable if you hang some weight off the hook.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 21, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jimlad posted:

The chinese seem to have carbon fiber figured out fairly well if you get it from the right people. A lot of people have no issue buying chinese made carbon stuff for bicycles these days as it's way cheaper and fairly well made. Do some research first obviously as the quality can vary wildly between different manufacturers.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I need a good, new, light, easy, heavy-duty tripod for my Sinar F. What should I get? I have one already but it's busted.

Also a stand to put my Canon 600 flash on and a stand for holding my reflector with

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Geoff Zahn posted:

I bought a Roadtrip as a first tripod, but returned it because it's really short. I'd go for the Globetrotter if you can swing the extra 1lb.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Would a Gorillapod be sturdy enough for a X-E1 and a 35mm?
E: I see pictures with DSLRs and huge L-lenses so I suppose so.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

widunder posted:

Would a Gorillapod be sturdy enough for a X-E1 and a 35mm?
E: I see pictures with DSLRs and huge L-lenses so I suppose so.

May I recommend my favorite pocket tripod?

widunder
May 2, 2002

8th-snype posted:

Thanks, just ordered one.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

idk how I posted in this thread

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 3, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just picked up a Gorillapod SLR Zoom with the ballhead as a last minute purchase before going on a trip, and not wanting to miss opportunities because I have nothing to put my camera no to keep it stable. It seems super fun (I'll check out that pocket one 8th-snype recommended too, it looks useful too!) but I'm intrigued to know how long it takes until you set the Gorillapod on a tree or something without the absolute fear of god that your expensive camera is about to meet it's end when it slips off.

It never goes away, does it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 14, 2015

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

8th-snype posted:

These things are stupidly useful. I hunt a lot and have been filming them as well and these things are great for GoPros or other action cams, especially since you can strap it to a tree at odd angles, stick it on the ground, or place it just about anywhere else. I use one with my GoPro or VIRB and use the other to strap my digital audio recorder (DR 40) to my DSLR tripod so it's right there. Between my hunting partner and I we've got 4 of them I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just picked up a Gorillapod SLR Zoom with the ballhead as a last minute purchase before going on a trip, and not wanting to miss opportunities because I have nothing to put my camera no to keep it stable. It seems super fun (I'll check out that pocket one 8th-snype recommended too, it looks useful too!) but I'm intrigued to know how long it takes until you set the Gorillapod on a tree or something without the absolute fear of god that your expensive camera is about to meet it's end when it slips off.

It never goes away, does it.

Front leg fell off before I even got ten shots. It seems joby are pretty good about fixes but I can't trust $2,000 of gear hanging on something that broke so easily - no impact or anything like that. Pissed because I'm here for 10 more days without reliable stability.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

EL BROMANCE posted:

Front leg fell off before I even got ten shots. It seems joby are pretty good about fixes but I can't trust $2,000 of gear hanging on something that broke so easily - no impact or anything like that. Pissed because I'm here for 10 more days without reliable stability.

Get a Ziploc bag and fill it with sand or beans. Not as versatile as a Gorillapod but it'll work for some situations better than nothing at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As luck would have it, I was given a ziplock the other day. Might have to give that a shot! The pod still seems usable for mini tripod use if I'm careful and near it, but no chance am I wrapping it around anything.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You can always loop some twine or something through the strap attachment points on the camera for some backup security.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another useful tip, appreciated. I'm kind of hoping to have it set up somewhere to be a catch all video at my friends wedding in a few days, but I've not seen the venue yet (it's a beach, so mount points gonna be limited). Will definitely note those down to possibly eek a stable way of getting the vows recorded.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today I picked up a Manfrotto XPROL190 with a 496RC2 ballhead on sale for about $240 CDN - Western Canada goons, this was a "manager's special" at London Drugs. It wasn't available without the head, but so far I'm enjoying the actually-quick-release of the Manfrotto QR plate and I'm not sure what I'll do when my cheap-Chinese Arca-Swiss compatible ballhead gets here in the shipment of research stuff I'm expecting next week.

This seems to be the updated version, possibly by several model iterations, of the tripod I bought in the buy/sell thread about 6 years ago and promptly started damaging. The owner's manual is very clear about warning me not to exceed the 5kg-or-so weight limit; what happens if you overload a tripod? Does it just increase the risk it will fall over and break the camera, or could it collapse the legs or something?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I found this slightly used cheap and nasty fluid head for 20 bucks and I'm enjoying making smooth pans of my room :haw:

It looks pretty comical on my tiny Sprint 150

e: it will never replace my ballhead for photography but for someone who only occasionally dabbles in video it's perfect. I honestly expected it to be way shittier for the price (it's like $44 new @ B&H)

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 2, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So I think my Manfrotto 3401B tripod legs are finally biting the dust. It's not that horrible since they're probably 15+ years old and I paid $20 for them at a garage sale a couple years ago. Two of the lower legs no longer clamp shut and no tighting of bolts/nuts seems to help.

I have a new tripod coming from B&H on Thursday so it's not the end of the world, but if anyone knows of a fix I'd be curious to hear it.

New tripod is this Vanguard tripod/head combo. I use my tripod 99% of the time with a spotting scope so a more stable platform with purpose built legs appealed to me. It's going to be sad to actually gain a pound, but it if helps keep the things steady when I'm standing out on a pier trying to ID an eight inch bird flying by 500 yards away then it'll be worth it I guess.

Anyone use Vanguard tripods?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So is the tripod thread consensus that the best tripod for carrying around is the Manfrotto Befree Carbon Fiber Tripod? It seems super light and compact

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

KinkyJohn posted:

So is the tripod thread consensus that the best tripod for carrying around is the Manfrotto Befree Carbon Fiber Tripod? It seems super light and compact

I prefer my 3LT 'Brian' personally... Didn't like the adjustments on the Befree. Really happy with the 3LT.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

nummy posted:

I prefer my 3LT 'Brian' personally... Didn't like the adjustments on the Befree. Really happy with the 3LT.

3LT seconded, I have an alloy 'Dave" and it's quite nice.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

KinkyJohn posted:

After doing a lot of research myself, I decided on the Sirui t-025x. Haven't got a chance to use it yet, but it seems really good so far.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

nummy posted:

I prefer my 3LT 'Brian' personally... Really happy with the 3LT.

I second this exact statement.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

nummy posted:

Just got my 3LT Brian in preparation for our trip to Italy starting Thursday. It is actually WAY heavier than I pictured. I have an aluminum tripod that folds up to the same size (it is less tall when set up and way flimsier) so I just assumed the 3LT would have been lighter than it. Just not at all how I pictured a travel tripod.

I'm sure I'm going to love it as a tripod in general, but I'm not even sure I'm going to bring it on the trip. My fault for unrealistic expectations, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

EL BROMANCE posted:

man you just gotta think outside the box

e. snow doesn't work as well though if you're doing more than a minute or two, melts too fast

e2. yeah I'm replying to 4 month old posts, deal with it

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread