Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Erwin posted:

Just got my 3LT Brian in preparation for our trip to Italy starting Thursday. It is actually WAY heavier than I pictured. I have an aluminum tripod that folds up to the same size (it is less tall when set up and way flimsier) so I just assumed the 3LT would have been lighter than it. Just not at all how I pictured a travel tripod.

I'm sure I'm going to love it as a tripod in general, but I'm not even sure I'm going to bring it on the trip. My fault for unrealistic expectations, I guess.

3 pounds is too heavy to take traveling? Are you one of those ultralight backpackers counting grams? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I lug my 10 pound manfrotto everywhere and it's fine once you find a way to secure it to your backpack. Get tough. :v:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

3 pounds is too heavy to take traveling? :confused:

Thank you, I was going to say this.

xenophule
Jan 29, 2011
Hey it's another rear end in a top hat asking about travel tripods! I'm using a Sony a57, the biggest lens is a Tamron 70-300, and I have zero clue how tripods rate for this kind of weight.
I'll be using it mostly for long exposures at night and my goal is to have one that I can throw into a backpack when walking around foreign countries for 8-15 hours a day.

delicious beef posted:

What's the best option for a travel tripod these days? Will be carrying about 3kg at most, up to 300mm. I'm happy to spend up to £150-£200, but all the options are making my head hurt.
This is exactly what I'm looking for, so I sifted through ALL THIRTEEN pages of this thread and picked out the ones people suggested within this price range:

frogbs posted:

What about something like the Slik Sprint Mini? It may not be heavy duty enough though! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html
Least expensive of the bunch, looks kinda bulky in the picture though it could be my virgin eyes.

8th-snype posted:

May I recommend my favorite pocket tripod?
This looks awesome. I may just get one for the convenience.

JHVH-1 posted:

I ended up ordering the Benro Travel Angel, but didn't go all out for carbon fiber:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004477MFQ
There's some on eBay for $125-200, that's in the price range.

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I got a Benro Travel Angel for like two hundred bucks when my wife tricked me into hiking the Inca Trail.

I think the model number was A1692.
Possible contender. eBay has some for £150

Musket posted:

The [MeFoto] roadtrip is the one you want. Buy something you can grow into, not something you will outgrow.
I'm not actually sure if this is a proper travel tripod. The five sections have me wary (re: tiny last section)

Same as above

As the original stated, there's a ton of options out there and it hurts my head too (especially since tripods have not yet become my world).

All in all there's really only five options there, though they pretty much all seem similar to me. If any of you have insight to sway me one way or another it would be greatly appreciated :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenophule posted:

All in all there's really only five options there, though they pretty much all seem similar to me. If any of you have insight to sway me one way or another it would be greatly appreciated :)

Spend more money. Wait longer before you have to buy a tripod if you need time to save it up, but dont buy a lovely tripod.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I recently bought a Benro Travel Angel C2682BT1 since i get into this shopping frenzy every time my wife goes to china (the stuff on China's Ebay equivalent is like a third of the price of what they cost here and no they are not fakes)

I am currently using a Manfrotto RX190 with the 496RC2 head. The tripod is easy to operate but quite heavy. I really hate the head though Its a pain in the rear end to adjust and the RC2 release mechanism sucks balls.

The new Benro has Arca Swiss which i have only heard good things about. Cant wait!

xenophule
Jan 29, 2011

RangerScum posted:

Spend more money. Wait longer before you have to buy a tripod if you need time to save it up, but dont buy a lovely tripod.

I totally get this and I am saving up for one

I'm headed to Berlin in a couple weeks and want one for the interm whilst I save up

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Erwin posted:

Just got my 3LT Brian in preparation for our trip to Italy starting Thursday. It is actually WAY heavier than I pictured. I have an aluminum tripod that folds up to the same size (it is less tall when set up and way flimsier) so I just assumed the 3LT would have been lighter than it. Just not at all how I pictured a travel tripod.

I'm sure I'm going to love it as a tripod in general, but I'm not even sure I'm going to bring it on the trip. My fault for unrealistic expectations, I guess.

I think you need to lug around something like a Manfrotto 190xPROB on a few trips and then get back to us on what you think of the Brian.

Seriously - 3 pounds is nothing for a tripod.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

nummy posted:

I think you need to lug around something like a Manfrotto 190xPROB on a few trips and then get back to us on what you think of the Brian.

Seriously - 3 pounds is nothing for a tripod.

I have the 3LT Dave which is bigger and heavier and I think nothing of grabbing it on my way out the door with the dog at night. I just hang it off my bag and go. My Giottos sticks I have around for LF are heavy as gently caress.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Vanguard Alta legs have a mail in rebate right now (until the 31st). I thought for a minute it'd apply to my acutus legs I just bought but apparently not. Still, if anyone is looking for travel legs on the cheap they apparently are pretty reasonable.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 27, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So for a very long time I've been shooting with a tripod that has no head (because the one I had lost a part and who can be bothered to rectify such things?)

I went out and bought a Manfrotto ball head today and suddenly photography is enjoyable and wonderful again. No more shortening and lengthening tripod legs to get a level shot!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm looking for a tripod that's going to be steady and portable by bike. I have a giant backpack but I also don't want a flimsy stand. Considering I'm only a year into this hobby I don't want to throw fat stacks but I'm ok with spending for something dependable.

I mostly shoot night time cityscape stuff if that matters

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I'm looking for a tripod that's going to be steady and portable by bike. I have a giant backpack but I also don't want a flimsy stand. Considering I'm only a year into this hobby I don't want to throw fat stacks but I'm ok with spending for something dependable.

I mostly shoot night time cityscape stuff if that matters

How big is you camera? Look into 3 Legged Thing.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

It's a d40 with regular size lenses

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Grandmaster.flv posted:

It's a d40 with regular size lenses

Nearly anything will hold that setup. Basically decide how tall you want it to go and your budget then pick up one of the more reputable travel tripods.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

8th-snype posted:

Nearly anything will hold that setup. Basically decide how tall you want it to go and your budget then pick up one of the more reputable travel tripods.

Great! What are said tripods?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Great! What are said tripods?

On the cheaper and shorter end Mephoto and Manfrotto. Benro and 3 Legged thing are a little more expensive but are a bit taller/beefier.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What's the Tamron 17-50 non-VC equivalent of tripods? Getting annoyed with taking long exposures by just balancing my camera very carefully, or doing self portraits with an unsteady setup.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone have recommendations for a 3-axis tripod for $300 or less? I walk a fair bit with my gear but I'm not climbing any mountains so it doesn't have to be the absolute lightest tripod available.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Suicide Watch posted:

What's the Tamron 17-50 non-VC equivalent of tripods? Getting annoyed with taking long exposures by just balancing my camera very carefully, or doing self portraits with an unsteady setup.

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a 3-axis tripod for $300 or less? I walk a fair bit with my gear but I'm not climbing any mountains so it doesn't have to be the absolute lightest tripod available.

I don't know if there's a consensus on tripods the way there is on the Tammy walk-around lens, but I've got whatever alphabet-soup name Manfrotto gives their current-gen of the Manfrotto 055. I'm on my second, the first one (bought from a goon through the buy-and-sell thread) developed too many small problems after I dropped it / bashed it into things / generally mistreated it too many times. It's not the lightest, it's not the cheapest, but it was less than $300, it's strong and stable enough for me and my gear (including a 500mm supertele that weights something like 3.5kg), and it's tall enough for me.

So, my vote for "tammy equivalent" is the Manfrotto 055. It's "enough" tripod.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

What's the recommendation these days for tripods under $150? Looking for a complete assembly with a QR ball head that can support ~10 lbs. Not too concerned about weight or size, but something that can extend the legs out wide to get low with the camera is ideal... Adjustable center section isn't really needed either, as I've heard it affects stability.

I was looking at this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/864142-REG/oben_ac_1441_ba_111_ac_1441_3_section_aluminum_tripod.html

Thoughts?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking for a tripod that's $50 or under and is small in size. I'm looking at Gorillapods but I feel like there might be better alternatives out there?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

huhu posted:

I'm looking for a tripod that's $50 or under and is small in size. I'm looking at Gorillapods but I feel like there might be better alternatives out there?

Cheap and very good

http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPo...=pedco+ultrapod

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I had the nightmare happen to me over the weekend. Set up my shot and walked away to take a light reading and a few seconds later heard an enormous crash. The only casualty was a film back but the moral of the story is don't buy cheap tripods.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Can confirm this is a great cheap tripod. The velcro is a bit weird to deal with but otherwise I like it. Using it for an RX100 but I could see it working well on a DSLR as well.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Question (mostly for Canadian goons), any good solid tripods we can get reliably here without having to convert our funny money? I have a MeFoto Backpacker right now that I do like, but it's a bit short for some stuff and I just don't feel safe loading my RB67 onto it (it actually holds well I'm just paranoid.

Doesn't really have to fold up real small or anything, I'm going to leave it in the trunk of my car. Budget is preferably sub-$200

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm also interested in the above

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Possibly beyond your budget, but I bought a Manfrotto 055 series from the London Drugs in West Edmonton Mall in May of last year for under $300 including ballhead. It is excellent and I am very happy with it.

I also have a Sirui G20 ballhead that I picked up for about $100 several years ago, it's pretty good and I've heard very little one way or the other about their tripod legs. But, like I said, the ballhead is decent.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Look on Craigslist or your local equivalent if budget is a big concern. Unlike other photo gear tripods/heads do not really wear out the same as lenses/bodies. I would rather take an older used model instead of a new current model. A cheap tripod or head not only risks your gear but you will get frustrated and likely end up buying something better in the long run (or not using it). I have 2 Induro CF tripods with Markins heads which I have been happy with and while cheaper than some other options out there are still not cheap persay. One of the Markins heads I was able to get for an absolute steal from CL because on of the knobs (rotation which I hardly ever use) was bent (but still works fine).

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I picked up a used Feisol a couple years ago and holy poo poo they have gone up in price.

edit: :canada:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I see Adorama do the Manfrotto 055CX 3 stage carbon fibre for around the $300 mark in 'E' grade used, is this about the going rate for these legs? I'm not in a position to buy right now, but will stop looking through things if so. I think it'll last me quite some time and the price is very reasonable. Maybe consider the 4 stage just because I really like the idea of doing top down stuff and the extra height sounds like it might be useful then, and might annoy me if I don't get it from the word go.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've got an older Manfrotto tripod (legs are 3001) and somehow lost one of the knobs for one of the upper leg locks. The sites I found in my first hour or two of googling haven't come through for me yet- anyone have a suggestion for a site that would have either just the knob or else an upper leg lock?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've got an older Manfrotto tripod (legs are 3001) and somehow lost one of the knobs for one of the upper leg locks. The sites I found in my first hour or two of googling haven't come through for me yet- anyone have a suggestion for a site that would have either just the knob or else an upper leg lock?

The Manfrotto 190D is apparently the same tripod - https://www.gitzospares.com/190-parts.html

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've got my Manfrotto 055 on the way now, so looking at heads. The Induro BHL1 seems to get a fair amount of love both here and elsewhere and is cheap... Is there any real reason to not get one of those compared to a Gitzo centerball that seems another hundred bucks on top? I want the Arca p0 eventually I think, but it's a bit much right now.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I purchased a mini tripod that maxes out about 1 foot off the ground. It's pretty decent but 1 foot kind of sucks. Are there any decent tripods for $50 or less that are rather compact but will rise at least like 4 feet off the ground?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Not really. You spent money on a camera, spend money on a decent tripod. It is worth it. For cheap and portable, check out the mefoto globetrotter.

I spent about $300 on a sirui setup that was sturdy enough to hold my digital, mf and LF cameras without worrying about sending expensive equipment crashing to the ground. Don't regret a penny of it. Skimping just means you pay more later.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Shellman posted:

Skimping just means you pay more later.

Like I said, decent. $50 is my range. I will pay more later. I've got a Sony rx100 so it doesn't need to handle much weight.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

huhu posted:

Like I said, decent. $50 is my range. I will pay more later. I've got a Sony rx100 so it doesn't need to handle much weight.

This looks pretty good for the price range http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...63816639&sr=1-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Second after lenses, tripods is where you want to spend the big bux. A flimsy tripod isn't all that much better than just handholding the camera.

Having a small one like the gorillapods or similar for vacation stuff is fine but its usually just as easy to ask some other tourists to take a photograph of you.

I have the DSLR gorillapod and i used it like 3 times (as in, on 3 photos) and i regret the purchase.

I am really happy i spent like $800 on a sturdy benro carbonfiber tripod, as it keeps super steady even in moderate wind with a heavy telephoto lens, for long night time exposures.

• Locked thread