Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
I'm hopefully going to take a look at a tripod I saw listed on Craigslist, it's a Bogen 3130 which some googling tells me is the same as a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head. The ad doesn't specify what the legs are but I assume they're some model of Bogen/Manfrotto, which means this looks like a pretty good deal for $50... if it's still in good condition. What sorts of things should I be looking at on a used tripod/head? How do they tend to wear out and how can I quickly test it before plunking down the cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beerios posted:

I'm hopefully going to take a look at a tripod I saw listed on Craigslist, it's a Bogen 3130 which some googling tells me is the same as a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head. The ad doesn't specify what the legs are but I assume they're some model of Bogen/Manfrotto, which means this looks like a pretty good deal for $50... if it's still in good condition. What sorts of things should I be looking at on a used tripod/head? How do they tend to wear out and how can I quickly test it before plunking down the cash?

Check the legs open and closing actions. Fully extend, put some weight on it to see if it collapses...and put the weight on each leg individually. Other than that, look for obvious wear.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i'm looking for a tripod to strap to my backpack to bring with me on hikes and such. Right now I have it hittled down to two Slik models, the Slik Sprint Mini II GM and the Slik Sprint Pro II GM. I like the MIni because it is lighter and its folded length is only 14", however it only rises to 3.5 feet high or so. The Sprint pro goes up to 63" and is only .3lbs heavier than the mini, but its folded length is a little over 18" which is kind of large. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Any other brands/models I should be looking at?

This will most often be holding up a Canon t1i with a sigma 30mm 1.4 attached, so a little over 2lbs total.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Just found a post on craigslist for these legs and ballhead for $125, seems like a drat good deal. Am I missing anything that would make this combo so cheap?

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190MF4-3-Section-MagFiber-without/dp/B0007WVAA0

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-488RC2-Rapid-Connect-System/dp/B00009R6N0

edit: annd it sold already, jesus. I emailed the dude right after I posted this.

Strategy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 17, 2011

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Well, this is the second dumb question in the Dorkroom today, but here it goes. Earlier tonight I bought a 322RC2 off craigslist along with 190xdb legs. My issue is that I think there's something wrong with the locking mechanism, but I can't find a manual or anything online that confirms this. When the trigger is not engaged I can still move the ball relatively easily. When I engage the trigger it definitely gets slightly easier to move, but I was under the impression that when the trigger isn't engaged the thing was supposed to be solid as a rock. Am I missing something?

I got a good deal on the set, so even if I have to do some repair work I'd feel ok about it, but I just need to know what to expect.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, this is the second dumb question in the Dorkroom today, but here it goes. Earlier tonight I bought a 322RC2 off craigslist along with 190xdb legs. My issue is that I think there's something wrong with the locking mechanism, but I can't find a manual or anything online that confirms this. When the trigger is not engaged I can still move the ball relatively easily. When I engage the trigger it definitely gets slightly easier to move, but I was under the impression that when the trigger isn't engaged the thing was supposed to be solid as a rock. Am I missing something?

I got a good deal on the set, so even if I have to do some repair work I'd feel ok about it, but I just need to know what to expect.

On most ball heads there is a tension knob that adjusts that. Once you turn down on the knob, it will get tighter when the trigger isn't engaged.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Falco posted:

On most ball heads there is a tension knob that adjusts that. Once you turn down on the knob, it will get tighter when the trigger isn't engaged.

Yup, I have (and love) one of these - it looks like a bigass thumb wheel on the top of the handle.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

joelcamefalling posted:

Yup, I have (and love) one of these - it looks like a bigass thumb wheel on the top of the handle.

Yes, that part works fine, but when I engage the trigger it doesn't feel very noticably easier to move it around. In fact, I'd say at higher tensions there is no difference. I guess I'll have to drop by a local store and play with a demo unit or something to see what what a new unit is like.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So I now have a very heavy camera, a 40D with a grip and a 70-200. My tripod broke with it. So now I need a new one. The whole tripod market is rather confusing, mostly cause they don't have a practical naming systems for heads or legs. I want/need to move up to a drat beefy tripod now, But I'm not entirely sure where to start. I can't dump $300 into a tripod either. I'm looking for something in the area of $100-200. I understand you can get some decent manfrotto setups for that price. Anyone got some advice, or at least explain the naming system? The OP is good, however the variety is limited.

Also, what's up with the wooden leg tripods? I wouldn't imagine those are practical at all.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
What's the best option for a travel tripod these days? Will be carrying about 3kg at most, up to 300mm. I'm happy to spend up to £150-£200, but all the options are making my head hurt.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

rcman50166 posted:

So I now have a very heavy camera, a 40D with a grip and a 70-200. My tripod broke with it. So now I need a new one. The whole tripod market is rather confusing, mostly cause they don't have a practical naming systems for heads or legs. I want/need to move up to a drat beefy tripod now, But I'm not entirely sure where to start. I can't dump $300 into a tripod either. I'm looking for something in the area of $100-200. I understand you can get some decent manfrotto setups for that price. Anyone got some advice, or at least explain the naming system? The OP is good, however the variety is limited.

Also, what's up with the wooden leg tripods? I wouldn't imagine those are practical at all.

Here's what I ended up picking up. It's heavy, but works perfectly for me. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480322-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

delicious beef posted:

What's the best option for a travel tripod these days? Will be carrying about 3kg at most, up to 300mm. I'm happy to spend up to £150-£200, but all the options are making my head hurt.

What about something like the Slik Sprint Mini? It may not be heavy duty enough though! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

this seems very good for the price http://www.amazon.com/Benro-Magnesium-Carbon-3-Section-Release-supports/dp/B001VEIZXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311405555&sr=8-1

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

If you're looking for cheaper than the Manfrotto posted, I would recommend this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131427-REG/Slik_615_315_Pro_700DX_Tripod_with.html

I have it, and I love it.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
This Benro appears to be a discontinued model. Worth it or junk?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My manfrotto is pretty nacked up. Lose joints and just generally crappy. Can I get manfrotto to make it nice again or do I just have to put up with it/buy a new one?

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
GT1531 Legs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567483-REG/Gitzo_GT1531_GT1531_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html
GH1780QR Head
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562406-REG/Gitzo_GH1780QR_GH1780QR_Center_Ballhead_with.html

Must have setup for hiking, I love it.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

A5H posted:

My manfrotto is pretty nacked up. Lose joints and just generally crappy. Can I get manfrotto to make it nice again or do I just have to put up with it/buy a new one?
You can tighten the joints with a small allen key. Mine came with one clipped to a leg like this.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Counterpoint:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759477-REG/Gitzo_GT1542T_Series_1_Traveler_6x.html
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3T.php

I have the 1541T, which I hear is actually better than the 1542T. Folds up smaller - fits in my carryon when I fly - and Arca Swiss is awesome.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I use that Markins head as well and I love it, rock solid and lightweight. And it locks tight as well with no droop unless you're loading some really heavy poo poo on it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

This Benro appears to be a discontinued model. Worth it or junk?

I've got its big brother, the C258. This one is rather small, but if it's the right size for you then "worth it".

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Picked up a 190pro tripod and a manfrotto 048 ball head with a quick disconnect. I am not a huge fan of the 190, it will be replaced in a few years but I really needed one bad and didnt want to drop the cash on a carbon fiber one. The head on the other hand is absolutely awesome. Super smooth.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good tripod in my budget. I'm looking for a ballhead AND legs for $450-500. So far all I've got is:

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-classic-tripod-ct3402-rapid-p-27.html
+
http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-36N_NS.htm

This will be for hiking/backpacking, so I need it to be as small and light as possible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tyorik posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good tripod in my budget. I'm looking for a ballhead AND legs for $450-500. So far all I've got is:

+

This will be for hiking/backpacking, so I need it to be as small and light as possible.

Light, stable, cheap. Pick any two of these qualities.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Tyorik posted:

+

That's really similar to the setup I was looking into for hiking/backpacking. The Feisol 3441t + PC-36N is what I was looking at a few months back. Seems like a great combination and pretty lightweight.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?
Any thoughts on this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744021-REG/Benro_C0190T_Travel_Flat_C0190T_5_Section.html

It seems like it would be a great travel/hiking tripod, paired with a lightweight, sturdy ballhead.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Tyorik posted:

Any thoughts on this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744021-REG/Benro_C0190T_Travel_Flat_C0190T_5_Section.html

It seems like it would be a great travel/hiking tripod, paired with a lightweight, sturdy ballhead.
CF and twist locks are great.

However, be aware that with 5 sections, that last section is going to be really really skinny and it won't be as stable as something with fewer sections or as stable as if you don't extend the last section. In other words, treat the height spec as optimistic.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Anyone have recommendations for someone that is 6'5"? Most of the searches I do always seem to be tall enough with the center column extended, but that seems to be a huge NO, as it leads to instability/ I use a D7000, which is about 3 inches from the base of the camera to the viewfinder. Heads seem to vary as far as height goes, as I've been seeing 4-6 inches.

I do not need a carbon fiber tripod right now (sure it would be great), but for now I do not expect to do a ton of hiking. That may change, so I am certainly not against the CF idea. But, I always have this self-conscious "I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat as I am a pure amateur with a CF tripod" insecurity. Hell, the D7000 has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. But, I kinda fell into that one. I love it though, and I love learning.

Not quite of my budget - for now I know I can say no to Gitzo as those prices are certainly out of my range. But, I've seen some Manfrotto's in the 300's, and others that are knockoffs (but could be decent?)

Sorry for rambling - a bit lost... looking at B&H, the amount of choices are overwhelming.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Marklar posted:

Anyone have recommendations for someone that is 6'5"? Most of the searches I do always seem to be tall enough with the center column extended, but that seems to be a huge NO, as it leads to instability/ I use a D7000, which is about 3 inches from the base of the camera to the viewfinder. Heads seem to vary as far as height goes, as I've been seeing 4-6 inches.

I do not need a carbon fiber tripod right now (sure it would be great), but for now I do not expect to do a ton of hiking. That may change, so I am certainly not against the CF idea. But, I always have this self-conscious "I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat as I am a pure amateur with a CF tripod" insecurity. Hell, the D7000 has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. But, I kinda fell into that one. I love it though, and I love learning.

Not quite of my budget - for now I know I can say no to Gitzo as those prices are certainly out of my range. But, I've seen some Manfrotto's in the 300's, and others that are knockoffs (but could be decent?)

Sorry for rambling - a bit lost... looking at B&H, the amount of choices are overwhelming.

Well, I don't mean to be a dick about it I will be, but man-up. As you say, 6'5" means eye level is about 5'10", minus 4-6" for head, minus 5" for body+grip (buy a grip, they rock) and you're looking for 5'. The 055 series are 4'7", requiring you to duck your head by a measly 5" to take the shot, but if you're using wide-normal lenses there's nothing wrong with extending the centre column by that 5" (it's only a no-no for tele).

The benro's are knockoffs that are perfectly fine - I have a 200 series and its just at eye level for me (6'0") being between the 190 and 055 manfrotto series in size; it's carbon, cheap and works as well as any other mid range tripod. The 3XX and 4XX series are even taller. I had a 055 and it was taller than I needed with column down.

Bigger issues though: Do you take every photo standing in the same pose straight upright? If so then your pictures must be loving boring. If you do vary your stance, then you won't always want the tripod at full height anyway for composition reasons. If nothing else it'll mean your photos aren't always looking down on your subject from above (you're a tall bugger). Do you really want to take the tripod outside? Decide now because bigger is definitely worse. That's two good reasons to buy smaller than you think you need.

As for carbon, maybe 15 years ago when it was still space-age stuff you had to be either a pro or a wanker, but it was the same for lithium batteries and IS. The technology has trickled down to the point that mere mortals like us can get away with it. And if you go outside it's a must.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 8, 2011

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

I'm looking for a compact tripod that I can carry around with me in my messenger bag. I'm having a fair bit of trouble finding something small, it doesn't need to have great height because mostly I intend to use it to photograph from 0-1m off of the ground. It's just going to sit on tables and chairs, and occasionally on the ground for macro shots of exciting flowers and whatnot. It needs to hold at least my a580 and 16-80, so 1.2kg, but ideally it would be to bear 1.8-2kg so I can stick my flash on it as well.

I'm thinking about either a Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini Tripod or a Slik Sprint Mini II GM Tripod. I'm leaning towards the Velbon simple because its folded length is shorter than the Slik, but I've never used either brand before so I'm not sure which is better and I certainly don't want my relatively expensive camera gear taking a nose dive into the dirt.

Everything from brands like Manfrotto available to me seem to either be far too large when folded, or uselessly small. Any ideas, or comments/opinions on the tripods I have linked?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

ruro posted:

I'm thinking about either a Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini Tripod or a Slik Sprint Mini II GM Tripod. I'm leaning towards the Velbon simple because its folded length is shorter than the Slik, but I've never used either brand before so I'm not sure which is better and I certainly don't want my relatively expensive camera gear taking a nose dive into the dirt.

Everything from brands like Manfrotto available to me seem to either be far too large when folded, or uselessly small. Any ideas, or comments/opinions on the tripods I have linked?

Ha, these tripods look awesome. I didn't know such well built mini-tripods existed on the market. Maybe it's just personal preference but for a small tripod i would just get a Gorillapod SLR Zoom tripod. Much more handy when it comes to really weird angles, and I think they are rigid enough to take nice sharp photos. I have been contemplating getting one for my work. I take a lot of macro photos and need something very flexible. If it flexes while taking a photo, I have a intervelometer that I use for shaky camera mounts.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Captain Postal posted:

Well, I don't mean to be a dick about it I will be, but man-up. As you say, 6'5" means eye level is about 5'10", minus 4-6" for head, minus 5" for body+grip (buy a grip, they rock) and you're looking for 5'. The 055 series are 4'7", requiring you to duck your head by a measly 5" to take the shot, but if you're using wide-normal lenses there's nothing wrong with extending the centre column by that 5" (it's only a no-no for tele).

The benro's are knockoffs that are perfectly fine - I have a 200 series and its just at eye level for me (6'0") being between the 190 and 055 manfrotto series in size; it's carbon, cheap and works as well as any other mid range tripod. The 3XX and 4XX series are even taller. I had a 055 and it was taller than I needed with column down.

Bigger issues though: Do you take every photo standing in the same pose straight upright? If so then your pictures must be loving boring. If you do vary your stance, then you won't always want the tripod at full height anyway for composition reasons. If nothing else it'll mean your photos aren't always looking down on your subject from above (you're a tall bugger). Do you really want to take the tripod outside? Decide now because bigger is definitely worse. That's two good reasons to buy smaller than you think you need.

As for carbon, maybe 15 years ago when it was still space-age stuff you had to be either a pro or a wanker, but it was the same for lithium batteries and IS. The technology has trickled down to the point that mere mortals like us can get away with it. And if you go outside it's a must.

Thanks - understood about the "man-up" comment - I was overstating the amount of bending-over I would be doing, and do not have the best back in the world. The measurements are more clear now. Much appreciated.

No, I do vary my shots, and you're right, it will be nice to do the same with a tripod. I was thinking more along the lines of general landscape shots, but then again, having not use a tripod extensively, I do not think I'm properly envisioning the various ways in which I'll want to use it. And yes, I will be taking it outside quite a bit.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Marklar posted:

Thanks - understood about the "man-up" comment - I was overstating the amount of bending-over I would be doing, and do not have the best back in the world. The measurements are more clear now. Much appreciated.

No, I do vary my shots, and you're right, it will be nice to do the same with a tripod. I was thinking more along the lines of general landscape shots, but then again, having not use a tripod extensively, I do not think I'm properly envisioning the various ways in which I'll want to use it. And yes, I will be taking it outside quite a bit.

With landscape it's reasonable to just want straight up, but the trade off is that you have to carry the darn thing to get anywhere interesting. Also, like I said before, extending the centre column is not a problem with wider lenses, just don't do it with super teles for wildlife and you'll be fine.

And you definitely want carbon. Trust me. I'd also recommend getting 4-5 leg sections as they pack down smaller, although are reputed to be slightly less stable (which doesn't matter anyway with short lenses). My benro is 3 sections and it's too wide to carry horizontally below my backpack, too awkward to carry it mounted to one side of the pack and if I carry it on the back of my pack it moves the centre of gravity too far from my spine, which really fucks it (and my back doesn't have problems). If I was buying again I'd get one that packs down to be the same height as my backpack is wide - if that makes sense - and sling it under. And if it is too short, I don't care because slightly short but taken with you is better than perfect but too heavy/bulky to pack.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Wonder if anyone can help me make a choice picking out my first tripod. I got $150 amazon gift certificate for my birthday and have some credit from my card, so I am looking for something maybe around $100-$200 that I can strap to the side of my camera backpack.

I had this slik pinhead one on my wish list:
http://www.amazon.com/700DX-Professional-Tripod-Panhead-615-315/dp/B0002EXF38/

Then I saw this one with a ball head and built in levels which sounds decent:

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Alta-264AB-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B001D81Z16/

Or should I go lightweight with the slik mini:
http://www.amazon.com/Slik-43-3IN-Compact-Section-Tripod/dp/B0029QGQ5Q/

Or is there another option I am missing I can pick up on amazon? I might do a little video, but mostly still photography.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
My first tripod just showed up. Manfrotto 055cxpro3 and a 498RC2 head. Big, but light. Is it wrong that carbon fiber gives me an erection?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Wonder if anyone can help me make a choice picking out my first tripod. I got $150 amazon gift certificate for my birthday and have some credit from my card, so I am looking for something maybe around $100-$200 that I can strap to the side of my camera backpack.

I had this slik pinhead one on my wish list:
http://www.amazon.com/700DX-Professional-Tripod-Panhead-615-315/dp/B0002EXF38/

Then I saw this one with a ball head and built in levels which sounds decent:

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Alta-264AB-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B001D81Z16/

Or should I go lightweight with the slik mini:
http://www.amazon.com/Slik-43-3IN-Compact-Section-Tripod/dp/B0029QGQ5Q/

Or is there another option I am missing I can pick up on amazon? I might do a little video, but mostly still photography.

I need to walk away from this thread...

1) and 2) will do fine as tripods, but they're both FAR too big to strap to anything other than a car. Forget about taking them in the field with you on your back. You might say you're up to the task of carrying them, but I'll bet :10bux: that after 1 or 2 outings they get left behind for being too heavy, and your $150-$200 is wasted. (Perfectly fine for studio or carpark though)

As for 3), it depends on your longest lens. Any more than normal length, I'd say probably no. You can't be sure until you test as manufacturers don't publish that info. But it's the only one of the 3 I'd maybe buy to take outdoors.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Captain Postal posted:

I need to walk away from this thread...

1) and 2) will do fine as tripods, but they're both FAR too big to strap to anything other than a car. Forget about taking them in the field with you on your back. You might say you're up to the task of carrying them, but I'll bet :10bux: that after 1 or 2 outings they get left behind for being too heavy, and your $150-$200 is wasted. (Perfectly fine for studio or carpark though)

As for 3), it depends on your longest lens. Any more than normal length, I'd say probably no. You can't be sure until you test as manufacturers don't publish that info. But it's the only one of the 3 I'd maybe buy to take outdoors.

Right now I just have a couple primes and the kit lens, so nothing huge. I think when I decide to invest in something gigantic, by then I will be at the point where I could also invest in another tripod anyway.

I saw a video demo of the manfrotto monopod for video which was pretty cool. It has feet at the bottom to help stabilize it. I think I might just pick up the slik travel one for now unless I find something more fitting.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Right now I just have a couple primes and the kit lens, so nothing huge. I think when I decide to invest in something gigantic, by then I will be at the point where I could also invest in another tripod anyway.

I saw a video demo of the manfrotto monopod for video which was pretty cool. It has feet at the bottom to help stabilize it. I think I might just pick up the slik travel one for now unless I find something more fitting.

Unlike other photography gear that doesn't depreciate much (like lenses and lights), I don't think most tripods hold their value. You're going to eventually want something better. IMO a cheap tripod is a useless tripod since they're so frustrating to use that you'll never want to use it. In other words, I think it's a big waste of money.

The old advice is to just go out and buy a $700 tripod when you can afford it. That way you don't waste any money and since tripods can last forever, you never need to buy a new one. While I believe that the old advice still rings true, in this day and age you don't need to spend $700 to get a good tripod. There are a few brands coming out of China (like Induro and Benro) that are cheaper and match the Gitzo/Manfrotto gold standard. Instead of spending $700, you can do well with $400-$500.

So that's my advice for still photography, video is a different matter. If you want to do professional quality video, you are in for a whole new world of financial hurt. You really need specialized gear that is made for the task and still photography gear won't cut it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Haggins posted:

Unlike other photography gear that doesn't depreciate much (like lenses and lights), I don't think most tripods hold their value. You're going to eventually want something better. IMO a cheap tripod is a useless tripod since they're so frustrating to use that you'll never want to use it. In other words, I think it's a big waste of money.

The old advice is to just go out and buy a $700 tripod when you can afford it. That way you don't waste any money and since tripods can last forever, you never need to buy a new one. While I believe that the old advice still rings true, in this day and age you don't need to spend $700 to get a good tripod. There are a few brands coming out of China (like Induro and Benro) that are cheaper and match the Gitzo/Manfrotto gold standard. Instead of spending $700, you can do well with $400-$500.

So that's my advice for still photography, video is a different matter. If you want to do professional quality video, you are in for a whole new world of financial hurt. You really need specialized gear that is made for the task and still photography gear won't cut it.

Maybe I'll get one of the Benro travel angels that also convert to monopod. The carbon fiber model is like $400 with head included. Aluminum is $100 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I have a set of SystemPRO T325P 3-section legs, and I've been using it with a Manfrotto 498RC2. The brand doesn't seem at all famous, but this thing has been an absolute charm to use (I waded into the middle of a river and set it up, and it kept my Mamiya 645 still). The only qualm is that occasionally (every few months) you may need to tighten the leg nut(s) to keep one of the legs from flopping about as you carry it.

Plus, they're only $240 on amazon

• Locked thread