Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Anyone have recommendations for someone that is 6'5"? Most of the searches I do always seem to be tall enough with the center column extended, but that seems to be a huge NO, as it leads to instability/ I use a D7000, which is about 3 inches from the base of the camera to the viewfinder. Heads seem to vary as far as height goes, as I've been seeing 4-6 inches.

I do not need a carbon fiber tripod right now (sure it would be great), but for now I do not expect to do a ton of hiking. That may change, so I am certainly not against the CF idea. But, I always have this self-conscious "I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat as I am a pure amateur with a CF tripod" insecurity. Hell, the D7000 has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. But, I kinda fell into that one. I love it though, and I love learning.

Not quite of my budget - for now I know I can say no to Gitzo as those prices are certainly out of my range. But, I've seen some Manfrotto's in the 300's, and others that are knockoffs (but could be decent?)

Sorry for rambling - a bit lost... looking at B&H, the amount of choices are overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Captain Postal posted:

Well, I don't mean to be a dick about it I will be, but man-up. As you say, 6'5" means eye level is about 5'10", minus 4-6" for head, minus 5" for body+grip (buy a grip, they rock) and you're looking for 5'. The 055 series are 4'7", requiring you to duck your head by a measly 5" to take the shot, but if you're using wide-normal lenses there's nothing wrong with extending the centre column by that 5" (it's only a no-no for tele).

The benro's are knockoffs that are perfectly fine - I have a 200 series and its just at eye level for me (6'0") being between the 190 and 055 manfrotto series in size; it's carbon, cheap and works as well as any other mid range tripod. The 3XX and 4XX series are even taller. I had a 055 and it was taller than I needed with column down.

Bigger issues though: Do you take every photo standing in the same pose straight upright? If so then your pictures must be loving boring. If you do vary your stance, then you won't always want the tripod at full height anyway for composition reasons. If nothing else it'll mean your photos aren't always looking down on your subject from above (you're a tall bugger). Do you really want to take the tripod outside? Decide now because bigger is definitely worse. That's two good reasons to buy smaller than you think you need.

As for carbon, maybe 15 years ago when it was still space-age stuff you had to be either a pro or a wanker, but it was the same for lithium batteries and IS. The technology has trickled down to the point that mere mortals like us can get away with it. And if you go outside it's a must.

Thanks - understood about the "man-up" comment - I was overstating the amount of bending-over I would be doing, and do not have the best back in the world. The measurements are more clear now. Much appreciated.

No, I do vary my shots, and you're right, it will be nice to do the same with a tripod. I was thinking more along the lines of general landscape shots, but then again, having not use a tripod extensively, I do not think I'm properly envisioning the various ways in which I'll want to use it. And yes, I will be taking it outside quite a bit.

• Locked thread