Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The Middle East

Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Yemen

Contribute to collating information:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K132vA6Gza0hkWwmLx0YVH6YpRjcNPny2qpNEH364a8/viewform?c=0&w=1

The collected information:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WBdeug1Rs-oFL-A0ACm7qR5U5ME49pCssgiaUMLOpx4/edit#gid=1395554344

Timeline thus far (Updated June 2015):

Tunisia: Revolution in 2011. Rejected introducing Sharia Law in March 2012 by a secular government. Held first democratic elections in November 2014 which appears to be moderate. The country appears to be moving along relatively well.

Egypt: Revolution in 2011. Morsi elected in 2012 with much controversy in his policies over the next year. He was deposed by the military in 2013 in a coup and any opposition to the coup was crushed brutally. The following years restrictions on freedom of speech and press were put in place and those questioning the military's power and motives were crushed. Many of the Islamic Brotherhood were incarcerated and executed. The military coup followed with protests reminiscent of the Tahrir protests, however there was a brutal intervention by the military. El-Sisi, head of the military then instituted himself as the president in "free" elections. The military currently rules under the illusion of a democracy. Tension still simmers however, and normalcy has not been restored.

Libya: Revolution began in Feb 2011 after the success of Tunisia and Egypt. A civil war broke out over the coming months and eventually the seemingly united revolutionary forces had secured the capital by August 2011 with assistance from NATO forces, and in October the revolution had secured its win, and Gadhafi's death. July 2012 the first parliamentary elections were held and in August an interim government was created. Between now and then there have been ongoing tribal, sectarian and regional fighting between militias. The government remains weak and divided, and bloodshed continues to be spilled with many players in action vying for power.

Syria: In March 2011 an uprising against the Assad regime began. At first it appeared hopeful, however it became entrenched and global players all had their hands in the conflict, and it turned into a civil war embroiling the entire country with the Free Syrian Army coming into existence to fight the Assad military. As the war went on, in around 2012-2013 foreign groups started arriving and taking advantage of the destabilization from the war. A dominant Islamist group sprouted up and was established in the war in 2014 called the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). This powerful group with much support and a background of insurgency leadership from the US war in Iraq and ongoing Middle Eastern instability, grew suddenly and fast, and succeeded in a large insurgency from the East in Syria. They crushed much of the Free Syrian Army and more moderate groups fighting Assad in their regions. In response, as ISIS were growing in momentum in Iraq and Syria, Kurdish groups from Iraq and Turkey joined the fight against them and support from Western nations also provided military support in 2014 and 2015 to lead a counter-insurgency against the group, which at current in June 2015 has had much success and the fight within Syria and Iraq against ISIS appears to be pushing their area of influence and insurgency back. Assad remains in power, and continues to bomb cities and kill masses of civilians, and lead a war against dissidents and rebel forces, and also continues to fight the ISIS forces on other fronts as well. It is unknown where this civil war will lead, but it appears to be a protracted conflict with many factions and forces with different agendas, and the regime appears to be slowly losing ground.

Yemen: In 2011 protests began against the Saleh government. Saleh handed over power to the vice president under immunity. This paved way for a multi-region republic to be created, however in 2014 a Shia insurgent group called Houthi took over the capital, and the government disbanded. The situation is very precarious currently, and there are many groups within Yemen and global interests. It appears that there may been under-table promises and interference from old-world groups which may lead to Saleh or his son vying back their power, and their plan to be create a dynasty. UAE governments have now intervened and sent in troops and bombing runs in April 2015, and are pushing the Houthi groups back, looking for them to surrender. This has caused many civilian deaths and the outcome and impact of this intervention is yet unknown.

Good posts in this thread
kustomkarkommando's breakdown of Kurdish forces fighting in Iraq and Syria
Brown Moses posts regular updates
fade5 makes a lot of quality posts regarding progress in Syria and Iraq

Information
Al-Jazeera English - Live Feed 24/7
Al-Jazeera English - Website

Previous Threads
Egypt 1
Egypt 2

The revolutions, civil war and wars that are interwoven through this period in time:

kustomkarkommando's Kurdish forces breakdown

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
Does anyone else find it suspicious that there is so much upheaval in the area and it just so happens that the US has taken an active interest in the region?

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Turtle before the Storm posted:

Does anyone else find it suspicious that there is so much upheaval in the area and it just so happens that the US has taken an active interest in the region?

Yes because they certainly haven't taken an interest over the last 15 years eh?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

superv0zz posted:

Yes because they certainly haven't taken an interest over the last 15 years eh?

Try 50. But yeah I'm not sure what's "suspicious" here.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lascivious Sloth, could you tack these three Twitter lists to the end of the OP please?

http://twitter.com/#!/list/IckyEtardo/middle-east-news

http://twitter.com/#!/list/ThomasMeadia/live-from-bahrain

http://twitter.com/#!/list/ThomasMeadia/newegypt

They're good for following the news on the ground as it happens. I might find more good specific lists later. For instance, I haven't been able to find a good list for Algeria, so if I do find one, I'll let you know.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Earwicker posted:

Try 50.

Yeah, I didn't want to blow his mind with too much history

Vacation Tenzin
Jan 23, 2005

I'M TOTALLY CALM AND RELAXED.
Or it could be that people who were fed up before but thought they were alone/had no way to organize now have access to that thing called the internet, which helps them do that tremendously?

Oh, who am I kidding, Bush did WTC!

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Very nice OP, I was wondering what became of the Iran protests.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think it's a lot of factors that ignited this all, including: tech-savyness/internet, large unemployed group of youth, bad economy, high prices for food and basics, large group of oppressed and educated youth etc.

Apology posted:

Lascivious Sloth, could you tack these three Twitter lists to the end of the OP please?

http://twitter.com/#!/list/IckyEtardo/middle-east-news

http://twitter.com/#!/list/ThomasMeadia/live-from-bahrain

http://twitter.com/#!/list/ThomasMeadia/newegypt

They're good for following the news on the ground as it happens. I might find more good specific lists later. For instance, I haven't been able to find a good list for Algeria, so if I do find one, I'll let you know.

Is that okay?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
The following link contains a dead baby from Bahrain:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/183652_165414813510316_100001253966056_400835_4808560_n.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I keep on forgetting how freaking tiny Bahrain is.
Also that image of the dude whose head got blown apart is going to haunt me forever.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Glad to see these threads still going strong. I was really active in the Egypt one and took a few days away when Mubarak fell for work and just to detach myself from it. The intensity was starting to get too much for me and I'm half-way across the globe from Egypt!

Egyptian prosecutors have ordered the arrest of former ruling party chief and three other ministers from the Mubarak government.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/17/egypt.revolution.arrests/

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I think it's a lot of factors that ignited this all, including: tech-savyness/internet, large unemployed group of youth, bad economy, high prices for food and basics, large group of oppressed and educated youth etc.

Is that okay?
Yes, thank you so much! I can't always follow the news as closely as I'd like, so now other people can follow it when I can't. Your OP is wonderful.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Furious Mittens posted:

Egyptian prosecutors have ordered the arrest of former ruling party chief and three other ministers from the Mubarak government.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/17/egypt.revolution.arrests/

Not just that, Al Adly, the minister of interior is being investigated for coordination of/collaboration in the new year's eve church bombing which killed 23 Egyptians, the government blamed that on palestinian islamists.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
NYT writer Nick Kristof is in Bahrain covering it, sounds like the ruling family is trying to get him kicked out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/opinion/18kristof.html?_r=1
http://twitter.com/NickKristof

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's a link to a Twitter portfolio of photos documenting the violence in Bahrain:

:nms: http://twitpic.com/photos/halmustafa :nms:

None of them are as bad as the one of the guy with his head destroyed, but still, there are dead bodies and a lot of blood in some of them.

5ive
Oct 5, 2010
Iran's got some good looking wimmenz

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

5ive posted:

I followed the 2009 protests avidly and it's true, everyone in the threads agreed, Iranian women are super fine. But more to the point, the Green Movement was a massive women's rights push as well, with women being a big part of the protests.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Apology posted:

Here's a link to a Twitter portfolio of photos documenting the violence in Bahrain:

:nms: http://twitpic.com/photos/halmustafa :nms:

None of them are as bad as the one of the guy with his head destroyed, but still, there are dead bodies and a lot of blood in some of them.

I don't know exactly how to say this, but seeing that guy's injured foot gave me this sick sense of happiness after seeing that entire row of images.
"Oh look, awesome! He didn't lose his brain, I love this picture at the bottom. I had that happen to me once in a bowling accident, I feel for him."
All of this is so intense. So much good can come of this and yet so bad. We need more good.
I want the world in revolution.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

5ive posted:

I think by contrast I didn't see that many hot Egyptian women.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Glad to see the new thread Lascicious SLoth, and that's a really impressive OP.

e: just a suggestion, but AJE has a spotlight on Tunisia and Algeria and a live blogs for Bahrain, Libya and Egypt. The Live blog for Egypt was espcially helpful in the Egypt thread.

Live Blogs:
Bahrain
Egypt
Libya

Spotlight on Algeria
Spotlight on Tunisia

Narmi fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 17, 2011

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've switched back over to Chrome so that I can get automatic translations in Arabic, and now, Farsi. It doesn't seem like Google translates Farsi so well, but heck, it's better than nothing.

A translated article that claims that live bullets, not rubber bullets, were used on the protesters in Bahrain, and after seeing that guy's head blown apart, I think they must be using elephant guns:

Fidh, translated from Arabic by Google posted:

Security forces fire at protesters
February 15 (February 2011)

International Federation for Human Rights condemns the severe repression exercised by the Bahraini authorities against peaceful demonstration organized on Monday, February 14, 2011 and continues to some extent today in Bahrain, which led to the deaths of two people in the ranks of the demonstrators and injuring many of them wounded.
Those demonstrations, involving tens of thousands of people as a member of the Bahraini organizations organized federal response to the appeal launched via Facebook to the "day of rage" following the example of the Egyptian and Tunisian Baltejrebtin.

Security forces did not hesitate to use live bullets to disperse the demonstrators, killing Ali Abdel-Hadi Mushaima, a former member of the Committee on the unemployed, and who died in a hospital in Manama Salmaniya his wounds. During the people gathered for the funeral of Ali Mushaima today killed Fadel Ali discarded, 32 years after he was hit by a live bullet fired by security forces.

The International Federation for Human Rights strongly condemns the excessive use of force against peaceful demonstrators and the use of live ammunition and calls for the authorities to take necessary measures to determine responsibilities in the commission of these crimes and to ensure respect for the right to demonstrate peacefully.

And a statement from the Green Way Path of Hope group on Facebook:

Green Way Path of Hope, translated from Farsi by Google posted:

For months that educators, teachers and scientists have taken the country hostage, students were deprived of the right to education and youth Rashid blood homeland are dormant, but mercenaries and thugs, comfort and dignity of people with the official green light to beat unfit disruption your imagination, call for justice and freedom for people to silence those who fear the funeral, on defenseless citizens clubs and daggers kill them in Bydadgah to accuse War, under protest desecration, torture and justify killing civilians. But this exercise is no object, except that the nation's determination in seeking the right to traverse the path to a more firm.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The government of Bahrain's strident claims they're trying to prevent sectarian riots simply make it more clear they're trying to undermine any call for reform as mere sectarian troubles. The attempts to incite sectarian violence to prevent political reform hinge on Sunni solidarity. The shiite majority in Bahrain needs to pull in some sunni faces publicaly to remove the regime's cover.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Excellent OP.

Is that equestrian statue Alexander? (I assume in Alexandria?)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

Excellent OP.

Is that equestrian statue Alexander? (I assume in Alexandria?)

Thanks and yes it is, which I thought was awesome for the OP.

Narmi posted:

e: just a suggestion, but AJE has a spotlight on Tunisia and Algeria and a live blogs for Bahrain, Libya and Egypt. The Live blog for Egypt was espcially helpful in the Egypt thread.

Thanks, Done!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think by contrast I didn't see that many hot Egyptian women.

The one in the OP is such an uggo. :rolleye:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Anyone else watch that interview with the UK advisor on Bahrain just now?

He was saying that the protesters are "malcontents" and a "vociferous minority" who want to change Bahrain away from being a tolerant nation and are basically ruining it for the rest of the Bahrainis.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I really hope another protest succeeds in toppling an autocrat soon, the region needs it to solidify momentum.

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme

Nihiliste posted:

I really hope another protest succeeds in toppling an autocrat soon, the region needs it to solidify momentum.

I'd say Bahrain, considering the tweets I'm reading from there have far far more venom that anything I ever read from Egypt, I'd say they're going to topple the king or the king will have no subjects (because he killed them all).

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Radio! posted:

He was saying that the protesters are "malcontents" and a "vociferous minority" who want to change Bahrain away from being a tolerant nation and are basically ruining it for the rest of the Bahrainis.

Missed it, but you'd think that after backing the wrong horse last time they'd keep from betting on his brother now.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Radio! posted:

Got to justify selling them more weapons somehow!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Radio! posted:

I hear a lot of misplaced criticism of Obama, but all the negative and ignorant comments and statements I've heard on these protests have been from the UK.

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
For good info on the ground in Bahrain http://twitter.com/angryarabiya If you want to add them to the OP, I've been getting the bulk of my info from them.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oxfordgirl is good for Iran related stuff.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm sitting here in my comfortable white middle class American ivory tower wishing my Middle Eastern friends a peaceful resolution and the rights that I take for granted that they too deserve.

Assalamu Alaykum, as it were.

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/tunisia-saudi-official-says-ben-ali-condition-grave.html

Ben Ali is reported to be in a coma. Is this like a new 'thing'? I made an arrested development joke in the other thread but it didn't catch on.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Government of Bahrain has effectively declared war on its people. There's no way this can end well.

Seriously, even if the Bahrain monarchy survives, it will only do so through a pile of its subjects' corpses and the end of any plausible claim it has to being a "moderate" state. It seems like it's trying to out-Iran Iran in terms of brutal suppression.

Also, I never thought I'd see the day that Libya, of all places, felt the stirrings of revolt. I'm deeply skeptical that it'll go anywhere, but even the attempt shows that the Libyan people haven't been totally cowed by half a century of lunatic rule. Masha'allah, you protesters. Masha'allah.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Radio! posted:

This ought to shut his mouth, an Al Jazeera piece filmed at a local Bahraini hospital. The video is fairly disturbing and features dead bodies, but the worst of it is blurred out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6RCBOC-MAM

Yes, doctors and nurses are "malcontents" and part of the "vociferous minority". :rolleyes:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Radio! posted:

Was it Ian Henderson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Henderson_(police_officer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Regarding Bahrain, is the government still trying to place the blame on "violent protesters" for the more serious injuries and deaths? Nobody seems to be buying it.

quote:

12.45am New York Times columnist Nicolas Kristof, based in Manama, wrote:

quote:

As a reporter, you sometimes become numbed to sadness. But it is just plain heartbreaking to be in modern, moderate Bahrain today and watch as a critical American ally uses tanks, troops, guns and clubs to crush a peaceful democracy movement and then lie about it.

This kind of brutal repression is normally confined to remote and backward nations, but this is Bahrain! An international banking center. An important American naval base, home of the Fifth Fleet. A wealthy and well-educated nation with a large middle class and cosmopolitan values.

NYT source

• Locked thread