Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apparently things are pretty violent in Libya today as well:

quote:

Libyan protesters seeking to oust longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi have defied a crackdown and taken to the streets on what activists have dubbed a "day of rage".

There are reports that more than a dozen demonstrators have been killed in clashes with pro-government groups.

Opponents of Gaddafi, communicating anonymously online or working in exile, urged people to protest on Thursday to try to emulate popular uprisings which unseated long-serving rulers in neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt.

"Today the Libyans broke the barrier or fear, it is a new dawn,'' Faiz Jibril, an opposition leader in exile, said.

Full article, and there's also a video here:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/02/201121716917273192.html

Seems like all these Middle East/Northern African dictators use the same playbook.

• Shoot as many peaceful protesters as possible
  • Release prisoners to run riot and rampage, then blame the crime spree on the protesters. Bonus points if the prisoners injure, rape, or kill some of the protesters
  • Organize pro-government counter protests, pay people if you have to
  • Try to blame it all on a small faction of loud malcontents
  • Grossly under-report the number of casualties, both injured and dead

Although I have to say, attacking medical personnel seems to be a new one. Bahrain is innovative. They're going to have to add a page to the playbook now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Speaking of playbooks, NYT has an article up on “From Dictatorship to Democracy,” a 93-page guide to toppling autocrats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/world/middleeast/17sharp.html?src=me&ref=general

quote:

When Egypt’s April 6 Youth Movement was struggling to recover from a failed effort in 2005, its leaders tossed around “crazy ideas” about bringing down the government, said Ahmed Maher, a leading strategist. They stumbled on Mr. Sharp while examining the Serbian movement Otpor, which he had influenced.

When the nonpartisan International Center on Nonviolent Conflict, which trains democracy activists, slipped into Cairo several years ago to conduct a workshop, among the papers it distributed was Mr. Sharp’s “198 Methods of Nonviolent Action,” a list of tactics that range from hunger strikes to “protest disrobing” to “disclosing identities of secret agents.”

Dalia Ziada, an Egyptian blogger and activist who attended the workshop and later organized similar sessions on her own, said trainees were active in both the Tunisia and Egypt revolts. She said that some activists translated excerpts of Mr. Sharp’s work into Arabic, and that his message of “attacking weaknesses of dictators” stuck with them.

I want to go to a workshop on how to topple autocratic dictators in 30 days or less your money back guaranteed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ham posted:

Not just that, Al Adly, the minister of interior is being investigated for coordination of/collaboration in the new year's eve church bombing which killed 23 Egyptians, the government blamed that on palestinian islamists.

Thought I cross-post your post this from the old thread, because it's so fresh...

Ham posted:

Major news out of Egypt: Habib Al-Adly, former Minister of Interior, responsible for most deaths during the revolution and for releasing prisoners and ordering all police districts to abandon their posts paving the way for major looting has been arreted, and so has former Minister of Tourism Zuhair Garana and former Minister of Housing Ahmad Al-Maghrabi. Also, Ahmad Ezz, one of the most hated men in Egypt and a steel tycoon who engineered the 2010 parliamentary elections is also under arrest.

These men have also had all their assets and their families' assets siezed and are all on no-fly lists.

EDIT: Wow, Habib Al Adly is also under investigation for orchestrating this terror bombing on a church in alexandria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Alexandria_bombing

I'm actually reeling from this. It's just so unbelievable. And then I remember that this bombing was one of those talking points about what would happen if Mubarak fell and the Muslim Brotherhood took over.

Turns out Mubarak's men actually did that.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sorry for the double post, y'all, but this is an entirely new protest that I hadn't heard of, the Ivory Coast in Africa:

quote:

In Ivory Coast, the stepped up financial pressure is starting to spill over into protests. Several hundred angry cocoa farmers set piles of cocoa beans on fire in front of the European Union office in Abidjan on Thursday, protesting sanctions put in place by the international community to try to force Gbagbo out. They say the sanctions have instead paralyzed the industry in the world's largest cocoa grower.
"We aren't politicians, we're farmers," said Patrick Ayemou, a cocoa farmer from the Sud Comoe region. "We own this cocoa, and the European Union shouldn't confuse politicians and farmers. Because of the EU's embargo, we can't live off the fruits of our labor."

Now the protests are currently rather small, but they're expected to get bigger as the government fails to meet it's payroll:

quote:

Nine banks, including Ivory Coast's largest, have shut down their operations one after another this week, further squeezing the country's strongman who is refusing to leave office nearly three months after being declared the loser of the presidential election.
Together, the financial institutions halting operations this week hold the vast majority of civil servant bank accounts in the West African country. The move is expected to prevent almost all government employees from receiving their salaries. Panicked people gathered in lines desperately seeking to take out their savings in fear of a cash shortage.
The international community had said it would use financial sanctions to dislodge sitting president Laurent Gbagbo, who is refusing to step down although results issued by his country's election commission and certified by the United Nations showed he had lost the Nov. 28 ballot by nearly 9 percentage points. Among the sanctions slapped on Gbagbo's regime was the revocation of his signature on state accounts at the regional central bank which prints the currency used in Ivory Coast.
Once that happened late last month, the Gbagbo government was no longer able to make deposits into the private banks where government salaries are cashed.

http://napavalleyregister.com/business/article_a415fff2-496f-5f1f-9441-9c02074ce452.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So, the dictator/President of Ivory Coast not only managed to lose the election by a wide margin, he's now refusing to step down in spite of all the banks in the country closing and growing unrest. Beautiful. I've added an Ivory Coast feed to the Middle East News list on Twitter.

Edit: Thanks for saving me from double-posting!

Apology fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 18, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Apology posted:

Sorry for the double post, y'all, but this is an entirely new protest that I hadn't heard of, the Ivory Coast in Africa:

The election was in November and the protests/standoff started soon after.

edit: Ah, protests against the sanctions. That makes sense.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Furious Mittens posted:

Glad to see these threads still going strong. I was really active in the Egypt one and took a few days away when Mubarak fell for work and just to detach myself from it. The intensity was starting to get too much for me and I'm half-way across the globe from Egypt!

Wow, if uprisings in another country get you so upset you might want to get that checked out.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So here's a weird idea as far as the internet's and anonymous' role in these things. We know that governments spread misinformation when there is unrest to try and quell the uprisings, but how how effective would spreading counter-misinformation be? Stuff like claiming that a government is near the breaking point, or that military leadership is starting to have inner conflict. It seems that a group like Anonymous could find a way to spread information like this quickly and have it sound somewhat reliable. I feel like if it were an effective thing, it might give protesters in the areas more hope and cause them to continue fighting when they would otherwise give up.

^^^ - as far as the above comment goes, I think that its important that people from all over the world become attached. As people in more privileged countries start to see other countries begin to have more freedoms maybe they might start thinking about how they can improve their own countries situations and inspire further revolution and change.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Apology posted:

Apparently things are pretty violent in Libya today as well:

Full article, and there's also a video here:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/02/201121716917273192.html

Seems like all these Middle East/Northern African dictators use the same playbook.

• Shoot as many peaceful protesters as possible
  • Release prisoners to run riot and rampage, then blame the crime spree on the protesters. Bonus points if the prisoners injure, rape, or kill some of the protesters
  • Organize pro-government counter protests, pay people if you have to
  • Try to blame it all on a small faction of loud malcontents
  • Grossly under-report the number of casualties, both injured and dead

Although I have to say, attacking medical personnel seems to be a new one. Bahrain is innovative. They're going to have to add a page to the playbook now I guess.

I can't help but wonder if Egypt might start actively formenting revolution in other nations once the country is back on its feet. If/when a new civilian reigime led by the opposition groups comes to power, it's going to be pretty unpopular amongst the kings and dictators of the rest of the Arab-Iranian world, especially if the unrest continues for a prolonged period. If that happens, active support for the protestors in other nations would be in Egypt's national interest.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Reason posted:

So here's a weird idea as far as the internet's and anonymous' role in these things. We know that governments spread misinformation when there is unrest to try and quell the uprisings, but how how effective would spreading counter-misinformation be? Stuff like claiming that a government is near the breaking point, or that military leadership is starting to have inner conflict. It seems that a group like Anonymous could find a way to spread information like this quickly and have it sound somewhat reliable. I feel like if it were an effective thing, it might give protesters in the areas more hope and cause them to continue fighting when they would otherwise give up.

Surely with Twitter and the like, there's no need for this? Anonymous isn't going to be a lot of use compared with a shitload of tweets, posts etc in the language all of the protesters will speak.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Reason posted:

Unless these thins are actually happening, I can see there being some serious blowback. If people get their hopes up that the government is going to step down and they don't that could seriously dicourage them.

But then again the same thing happened in Egypt and it just made people angrier, so who knows really.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Apology posted:

This ought to shut his mouth, an Al Jazeera piece filmed at a local Bahraini hospital. The video is fairly disturbing and features dead bodies, but the worst of it is blurred out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6RCBOC-MAM

Yes, doctors and nurses are "malcontents" and part of the "vociferous minority". :rolleyes:

AJE was actually playing the hospital footage in the background while the guy talked about how there wouldn't be women and children at a protest in a less tolerant country. It was pretty well done.

Scorchy posted:

Was it Ian Henderson?

No, his name was Clanwilliam.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
This is actually really awesome to watch. Not the death, or the terror, or the horrible conditions these people faced to make them revolt, but rather the idea that people my age are actively changing the world.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

This is actually really awesome to watch. Not the death, or the terror, or the horrible conditions these people faced to make them revolt, but rather the idea that people my age are actively changing the world.

how does it feel to know you will never take part in something to momentous?

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Radio! posted:

Anyone else watch that interview with the UK advisor on Bahrain just now?

He was saying that the protesters are "malcontents" and a "vociferous minority" who want to change Bahrain away from being a tolerant nation and are basically ruining it for the rest of the Bahrainis.

Oh look, this could just as well be another message from the Obama administration. UK, US, same note to another different tune. Seriously, they were on the wrong side of history with Tunisia and Egypt and they're going to continue to be on the wrong side again their full continued support of dictators.

I simply can not wait for this to go full global scale and it topples the US regime as well. We're starting to see this already happening in Wisconsin, but just confined to that state for now.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Apology posted:

It's pretty clear they are all getting scared at just how quickly a population can rally together with the internet and modern technology in it's hand. They want to crush this as fast as they possibly can but I think the revolutions in Egypt and whatnot have shown that it can be done.

I dunno if any of them will be able to stop it just by killing and beating up some people at this point.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

The Angry Bum posted:

Oh look, this could just as well be another message from the Obama administration. UK, US, same note to another different tune. Seriously, they were on the wrong side of history with Tunisia and Egypt and they're going to continue to be on the wrong side again their full continued support of dictators.

I simply can not wait for this to go full global scale and it topples the US regime as well.

God I hope this is a troll.

quote:

We're starting to see this already happening in Wisconsin, but just confined to that state for now.

Oh good, it is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

randombattle posted:

It's pretty clear they are all getting scared at just how quickly a population can rally together with the internet and modern technology in it's hand. They want to crush this as fast as they possibly can but I think the revolutions in Egypt and whatnot have shown that it can be done.

I dunno if any of them will be able to stop it just by killing and beating up some people at this point.

They won't. It only energizes the protesters because now they've got something specific and incredibly recent to hate you for. If someone calls you an rear end and you respond by punching him in the throat, he's not going to start thinking "oh I guess he's actually a really great guy!"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

God I hope this is a troll.

Oh good, it is.

Even if I wouldn't go so far to say that America's corporatist policies are a regime by any measure, it would be nice to see some positive changes come out of this in the western world.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Space Butler posted:

how does it feel to know you will never take part in something to momentous?

If obama loses to a tea-party type in 2012, we just may.

But really, I don't care that I'll never get the chance to participate in something like this. What I care about is how little coverage this is getting in the US. I mentioned what was going on at work, and everyone just went "wat?". It's not getting mentioned in their schools, it's not getting mentioned on the news, it's not getting mentioned period beyond a little footnote, or page filler in the middle of the paper.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Hey, did you hear about the protests in the capital of Bahrain?

"Manama? Nah."

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

But really, I don't care that I'll never get the chance to participate in something like this. What I care about is how little coverage this is getting in the US. I mentioned what was going on at work, and everyone just went "wat?". It's not getting mentioned in their schools, it's not getting mentioned on the news, it's not getting mentioned period beyond a little footnote, or page filler in the middle of the paper.

Are people really that oblivious to it in the US? I mean, here (in Canada) I've encountered people who are at least fairly knowledgable about it everywhere. And I don't mean just places like university; I also mean places like my parent's church or the thrift store I volunteer at on Saturdays (it's run by a sweet old conservative protestant family, and they all support the protesters).

But nobody at your workplace was aware of this?

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Oh mysterious forces at work, do Russia next.

UnkleDan
Feb 6, 2004
Unbanned for a purpose.
It's awesome that the revolutions have been so successful under the circumstances. It's not awesome that the inevitable revolution cost so much innocent blood.

I think we should try to look at all the pictures of the injured and dead. These are real people, good people by any measure, heroes deserving respect.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Wait, seriously? It's front page news in the UK, all over the TV news too. How can it just not get reported over there?

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

ChaosSamusX posted:

Are people really that oblivious to it in the US? I mean, here (in Canada) I've encountered people who are at least fairly knowledgable about it everywhere. And I don't mean just places like university; I also mean places like my parent's church or the thrift store I volunteer at on Saturdays (it's run by a sweet old conservative protestant family, and they all support the protesters).

There was a poll that just recently came out about what was going on in Egypt and the views relating to the unrest in the Middle East. 52% of Americans had no idea what was going on. And that's with it being the top weeknight broadcast news item for over a week.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ChaosSamusX posted:

Coming from Southern California, I'm seeing a pretty even breakdown between people who weren't aware, people who support the movements, and people who think angry muslims are rioting to install a theocracy under Sharia law(also, something about Caliphates).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's been a front page story in the NYT every day for over a week. Top US reporters (Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, Nick Kristof, etc) have all been reporting on it.

Some people just don't pay attention to the rest of the world.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Yes, Americans really are oblivious to this. Even the military. We're still showing ESPN and now we've moved on to kids shows on other channels. There's been a near total blackout of the news channels every time I've been at Aafes and a couple other clubs and restaurants. Occasionally AFN news is on, but it's more bias than Fox and basically only talks about events on military bases that noone really cares about. At home we've got news channels, but out in public, I haven't seen CNN on since poo poo really hit the fan.

My parents are faintly aware of some "Egyptian thing" going on (though they have 0 knowledge of why or the depth of it and constantly keep comparing it to an American revolution and the States need to rise up and :words: ), my husband's family couldn't care less. Most of my friends in the US were unaware of this until I got them watching it.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
ياللا بينا يا الشام

I'm waiting for Syria to go nuts.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Space Butler posted:

Wait, seriously? It's front page news in the UK, all over the TV news too. How can it just not get reported over there?

1) I live in a red state in the midwest. Most of the people here think the entire middle east is full of "terrists" and the entire region should be carpet-bombed.

2) Most people here don't care about what is going on beyond their own lives. Their idea of current events is what TMZ is reporting.

And it makes me sad that this is what America is like, and that anyone that tries to change this is met with the wall that is the anti-intellectualism that the sterotypical american personifies.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ashmole posted:

ياللا بينا يا الشام

It's started today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHLsU-ik_Y

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

1) I live in a red state in the midwest. Most of the people here think the entire middle east is full of "terrists" and the entire region should be carpet-bombed.

2) Most people here don't care about what is going on beyond their own lives. Their idea of current events is what TMZ is reporting.

And it makes me sad that this is what America is like, and that anyone that tries to change this is met with the wall that is the anti-intellectualism that the sterotypical american personifies.

Just to back this guy up, and while I'm aware that yahoo isn't a paramount news source, you'd think there'd at least be a 'Middle East In Revolt' or something, bolded, obviously something interesting and world news worthy, right?:

Click here for the full 1664x903 image.

That's the US Yahoo homepage. There's a single link about Bahrain. It's entirely unnoticable.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

Good Citizen posted:

Coming from Southern California, I'm seeing a pretty even breakdown between people who weren't aware, people who support the movements, and people who think angry muslims are rioting to install a theocracy under Sharia law(also, something about Caliphates).

Same here. I can't help but wonder how much the accurate awareness would decrease if this area didn't have as many people living here who are connected to the Middle Eastern diaspora, though.

Most people I'm connected to here at least know someone who knows someone who's intimately impacted by the protests and their direct implications. In my podunk hometown, it's almost strictly blissful ignorance or :foxnews:ish apoplexy.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

That's really sad, and more than slightly worrying. :ohdear:

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xandu posted:

It's started today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHLsU-ik_Y

I added a few Syrian tweeters to the Middle East News list. One of them is also following anonops and cableleaks. I didn't add anonops or cableleaks to the list because I don't want a bunch of "Longcat is looooong" crap making GBS threads up my list. I think the Syrian anon will work out fine because, after all, it's his country that's involved, so I doubt he'll have time for memes and other such crap. If anybody notices any trolls, government plants, or really consistently lovely posters on the Middle East News list on Twitter let me know who they are and I'll delete them from the list. I haven't noticed any fuckery so far, other than Thomas Meade's constant self-promotion of his lists. His lists are good, though, so I'm hesitant to delete them.

Edit: Uh oh, Twitter is over-capacity

Apology fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 18, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

Oh mysterious forces at work, do Russia next.

Gorbachev thinks it may happen. http://on.wsj.com/gIKwhY

Ashmole posted:

ياللا بينا يا الشام

عقبا لسورية والأردن والسعودية واليمن وليبيا والمغرب والكويت وإيران والإمارات وعمان وقطر والبحرين

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
"Wait, Muslims? There aren't any Muslims in Egypt."
"No, there definitely are. It's a pretty Muslim country."
"But what about, y'know, Osiris and stuff?"

Is that better or worse than going on about the Muslim Brotherhood establishing a theocracy?

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2011

Fimbulvinter
Nov 6, 2008

by elpintogrande

ChaosSamusX posted:

Even if I wouldn't go so far to say that America's corporatist policies are a regime by any measure, it would be nice to see some positive changes come out of this in the western world.

They have been entrenching for this sort of thing for too long. If it ever happens in the "Land of the Free"(lmbo) you are going to see some real brutality.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

"Wait, Muslims? There aren't any Muslims in Egypt."
"No, there definitely are. It's a pretty Muslim country."
"But what about, y'know, Osiris and stuff?"

Is that better or worse than going on about the Muslim Brotherhood establishing a theocracy?

Better. Its massively ignorant but not actively hateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

quadratic posted:

Gorbachev thinks it may happen. http://on.wsj.com/gIKwhY

عقبا لسورية والأردن والسعودية واليمن وليبيا والمغرب والكويت وإيران والإمارات وعمان وقطر والبحرين
! بالطبع! ولكن أنا سوري إذا اريد أن اشهد الثورة السوري الآن
Man I need an Arabic keyboard.

• Locked thread