Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A new challanger has entered the arena:

quote:

Senegal: Associated Press reports a man setting himself on fire in front of the presidential palace in Senegal on Friday, the latest self-immolation on the African continent.

quote:

Tunisia's mutiny that ousted President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was touched off by a struggling 26-year-old university graduate who lit himself on fire after police confiscated his fruit and vegetable cart in December. Other self-immolations then quickly spread elsewhere in northern Africa and the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

All these people still out there despite having some of the most threatening dictators in the world willing to attack them... this whole series of events is something truly once in a lifetime.

And yet it's happening multiple times in the span of a month. Just watching these events take place has been enough to completely restore my faith in humanity, and then some.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Toadofsky posted:

Is the goal with these protests specifically democracy or do they just want change in general?

If only there was a really comprehensive and informative OP that covered this.

Stop posting in these threads if all you're going to do is ask things you could answer yourself with minimal effort.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on the shooting at Pearl Square:

quote:

Soldiers fired tear gas and shot heavy weapons into the air Friday as thousands of protest marchers defied a government ban and streamed toward the landmark square that has been the symbolic centre of the uprising against the Gulf nation's leaders.

Hospital officials said at least 20 people were injured, some seriously. Ambulance sirens were heard throughout central Manama a day after riot police swept through the protest encampment in Pearl roundabout, killing at least five people and injuring more than 230.

An Associated Press cameraman saw army units shooting anti-aircraft weapons above the protesters in apparent warning shots and attempting to drive them back from security cordons about 200 yards (200m) from the square.

The clash came just hours after funeral mourners and worshippers at Friday prayers called for the toppling of the western-allied monarchy in the tiny island nation, which is home to the US navy's fifth fleet.

The cries against King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa and his inner circle at a main Shia mosque and at burials for those killed in Thursday's crushing attack reflect an important escalation of the political uprising, which began with calls to weaken the Sunni monarchy's power and address claims of discrimination against the Shia majority in the tiny island nation.

The mood, however, appears to have turned toward defiance of the entire ruling system after the brutal crackdown on a protest encampment in Bahrain's capital, Manama, which led the government to put the nation under emergency-style footing with military forces in key areas and checkpoints on main roads.

"The regime has broken something inside of me ... All of these people gathered today have had something broken in them," said Ahmed Makki Abu Taki at the funeral for his 23-year-old brother, Mahmoud, who was killed in the pre-dawn sweep through the protest camp in Manama's Pearl roundabout. "We used to demand for the prime minister to step down, but now our demand is for the ruling family to get out."

The Bahrain government really isn't doing itself any favours reacting like this, it's just making the protesters more defiant, and makes their demands more and more extreme. It's like Egypt all over again.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Things seem to be getting very serious in Libya, there's reports of protests spreading across the country, and in Benghazi people are arming themselves with weapons stolen from police stations to fight the mercenaries that have been recruited from Chad to fight the protesters.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Live ammunition used in Bahrain, ambulance drivers and head of the ambulance service arrested, hospitals full, do they honestly think any of this poo poo is going to break the protests up?

fakedit: They are opening fire on protesters from helicopters. What the gently caress.

(all from AJE, talking to an MP and a doctor. The doctor is literally begging for help.)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

A BBC correspondent in Tripoli says unconfirmed reports from Benghazi say the building of the state broadcaster there has been taken over by anti-government protesters.
It really sounds like the government has lost complete control of Benghazi.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Reveilled posted:

I'd say better. Unless the person who said it is actually a racist or something, the statement itself is genuine ignorance rather than what we usually mean when we say "ignorant" which is "dumb and racist".

I actually think someone honestly believing the Egyptian gods are still widely worshipped in Egypt today is so dumb it's sort of cute. :3:
I'd like it more if he was using it sarcastically. As if to point out that the premise of the Abrahamic religions isn't any more or less absurd than worshiping sun gods or sexy cat-head deities so why WOULDN'T Egyptians have stuck to their guns and kept with it :)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

It really sounds like the government has lost complete control of Benghazi.

Libya is really an interesting case since you(perhaps I'm being pessimistic here) really would expect the sort of military crackdown we're seeing from America's close personal friends in Bahrain. Instead, and it is hard to know for sure since there are so few sources of information, protesters seem to be gaining steam and physically expelling the regime from cities.

If it succeeds I'd really love to read a book examining what actually happened because these glimpses are fascinating.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Bahrain government ran towards the flames of revolution with buckets filled with napalm today:

quote:

A witness to today's dramatic events in Manama tells al-Jazeera English: "[There were] only bullets. They didn't give us any [indication] so that we could just run away from them. They just started shooting us. Now there are more than 20 injured in the hospital. One guy, he has already passed away because he got shot in his head. And there are more than three injured. They will pass away in a few hours because... they have got shot... near their chest or near their heart."

quote:

Lots of tweets flying around about medical treatment being denied in Manama. Reports unconfirmed as yet.

@BahrainRights doctors from Salmanya hsptl just confirmed to AlJazeera the army are not allowing ambulances to enter the area to save the injured #bahrain

quote:

Martin Chulov is tweeting from Salmaniya hospital in Manama. A man admitted with gunshot wounds has just died, Martin says.

• @martinchulov Just seen one man in hosp hit with live round in the head. In terrible shape. Not expected to live.

• @martinchulov Man shot in the head just died.

quote:

Guardian correspondent Martin Chulov tweets from Manama: "Man shot in the head just died. Easily 10k people - all seething - inside hospital grounds. Anti regime chants non-stop."

quote:

CNN's Hala Gorani tweets: "Medical source tells CNN 20 people killed, 200 injured in clashes w/ security forces in Benghazi. #Libya"

Yeah, good job King Hamad, I'm sure that'll do a brilliant job of calming down the situation and ending the protests. Maybe there's a few Shi-ite babies you can throw off the skyscrapers in the city centre to calm down things too?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I don't think Bahrain is trying to calm down the revolution though, it is trying to turn it into an explicitly sectarian conflict. The dangers of that boggle the imagination given the shiite populations along the coast, but if that's what the Sunni leadership of the gulf states want to do they'll have the full support of Saudi Arabia.

According to the guardian liveblog, funeral practices in Bahrain usually take three days. The governments insistence on violent repression could set up a martyr cycle as we saw during the Iranian revolution. Unfortunately the gulf states have a bigger stick in the form of borrowed Saudi thugs.

In that case though, what happens in Southern Iraq ia going to be incredibly interesting since that shiite group is going to be a hell of a lot harder for the Saudi's to crush.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In many ways, Egypt was in a far better position to pull off a peaceful revolt than a lot of the the other Arab states. This is only going to get uglier for a while.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
If the Saudis get involved on the ground, unless covertly, there will be worldwide backlash -- I doubt that will happen. It's really up to the protesters with how far they want to take it, which depends on their spirits and determination. Recent history has proven that this could go either way; Egypt/Tunisia, or 2009 Iran (or far worse.) The next few days and weeks are critical to the entire future of the middle east. Amazing.

vvv Well, it depends. I think if you are well informed and know what you are talking about even if you are in a first world country you still have a right to question, criticise and demand a better government/society. However, in my experience people rarely know what the gently caress they are talking about, which I guess is a symptom of living in first world country and taking for granted what you have.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 18, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Does anyone else occasionally get physically loving angry about the poo poo these people have to put up with?

Also, next time my dad bitches about taxes, I am going to show him this article:

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=12424

Even after tax, the average UK income is staggering compared to what most Egyptian people have to live on. And my dad is pretty high above the average. I know I'm not taking poo poo like cost of living into account, but still. He just never seems to realise how good he's got it.

edit: Is there a new channel for all the poo poo going down in the Middle East or are we staying in #tahrir on SynIRC?

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 18, 2011

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Pureauthor posted:

In many ways, Egypt was in a far better position to pull off a peaceful revolt than a lot of the the other Arab states. This is only going to get uglier for a while.

I am actually rather optimistic about Libya. Its army is similar to Egypt's in that it is conscript-heavy, and the society does not have the sectarian split of the gulf states. I also have a feeling like Gaddafi has enough crazy mental flexibility and residual political capital to maybe pull off resigning gracefully into an elder-statesman role. All he really has to do is declare the success of the revolution which he led, the maturation of a new generation, and grab a bunch of people to form a constitutional convention. Then he leaves with enough of a mixed legacy to spend his retirement jetting around and making speeches. A Kissinger of the maghreb if you will.

This last bit is also why I'm optimistic about Egypt's generals wanting to preside over a successful transition to legitimate, well-crafted civilian rule. Sure, they could go for being the next Mubarak, but the gig might not last so long. On the other hand, if they do the right thing there's a chance of being as revered as George Washington. We'll have to see which way they go.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ChaosSamusX posted:

And yet it's happening multiple times in the span of a month. Just watching these events take place has been enough to completely restore my faith in humanity, and then some.

The strangely beautiful thing in all of this carnage is that it didn't have far to go when it bubbled to the surface. This flies in the face of American Imperialism: real change is going on right now. And stuff is getting done. It's not always successful and it's very bloody and violent, but this is happening. To a cynical and pampered American like myself, it's quite touching to see people going through so much just to get a better life for themselves. I wish them all success, and I hope it turns out right for them.

That said, if Bahrain manages to overthrow the Saudis, things will go into overdrive.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Bahrain is going to be a blood bath before it's over (even more than it already is). It doesn't help that the region is perceiving this as an entirely Iranian-backed uprising against Sunni's in general and this really gives the United State's some leverage to use to frame any involvement that the U.S. may take as being noble and with "national security" aims.

They were just showing some images on Al-J earlier of Bahrainian military personnel firing tear gas canisters in rapid succession at protesters a mere 5-10 feet away from them. Now that is something that would leave people wishing they had been shot rather than hit with a flaming projectile that can weigh upwards of a pound in the chest/neck/head/back. That is just cruelty in it's worst form.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Wahat are the odds that the UN gets involved in Bahrain? Bahrain is a member state, and they've already condemned the violence against protesters, but I haven't heard of any action taken other than that.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Narmi posted:

Wahat are the odds that the UN gets involved in Bahrain? Bahrain is a member state, and they've already condemned the violence against protesters, but I haven't heard of any action taken other than that.

They'd have to get things through the security council to do anything more, wouldn't they? I don't see that happening anytime soon.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Space Butler posted:

They'd have to get things through the security council to do anything more, wouldn't they? I don't see that happening anytime soon.

China generally would veto any attempt to interfere with "internal security" issues.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Protesting in countries that have dictators and police who will fire automatic weapons at citizens without a second thought is just so incredibly badass compared to protesting here.

Cull
Feb 20, 2005

Bear attack!

Space Butler posted:

I know I'm being ridiculous but I would love it some 5th Fleet commander went rogue and drove a triage boat straight the gently caress in there to take on casualties.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Narmi posted:

There's only a few countries that are not members of the UN. Perhaps they'll form a committee to study whether people are upset. Then they'll recommend that a committee be formed to look into whether the government should stop shooting people from helicopters. Then the Bahrainian government will pretend they didn't hear that recommendation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rosscifer posted:

There's only a few countries that are not members of the UN. Perhaps they'll form a committee to study whether people are upset. Then they'll recommend that a committee be formed to look into whether the government should stop shooting people from helicopters.
This is always the joke I hear, how true is it? Has the UN ever successfully dealt with problems like this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The UN SC usually stays out of internal disputes like this. UNless it starts to threaten regional security or whatever.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cull posted:

I know I'm being ridiculous but I would love it some 5th Fleet commander went rogue and drove a triage boat straight the gently caress in there to take on casualties.

I think we all would.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The UN is limited due to the fact that countries like China and Russia have veto powers over any actions. That's right, Russia and China, absolute dictatorial autocracies can veto any proposal for the United Nations to intervene in a countries disputes.

What a poo poo system.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The UN is limited due to the fact that countries like The United States, China and Russia have veto powers over any actions. That's right, The United States, Russia and China, absolute dictatorial autocracies (sorta excepting the US for the time being) can veto any proposal for the United Nations to intervene in a countries disputes.

What a poo poo system.

I fixed it for you because you forgot the main offender of veto abuse

euphronius posted:

Well even if they weren't themselves bad governments, it is against the UN Charter to interfere in the way people seem to be talking about.

That too, the security council is more about scolding people and declaring nonbinding resolutions, not creating international police actions.
It's a diplomacy council, not a war room, and that flies over America's collective head pretty often.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 18, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The UN is limited due to the fact that countries like China and Russia have veto powers over any actions. That's right, Russia and China, absolute dictatorial autocracies can veto any proposal for the United Nations to intervene in a countries disputes.

What a poo poo system.

Well even if they weren't themselves bad governments, it is against the UN Charter to interfere in the way people seem to be talking about.

Cite: Article 2 paragraph 7 of the UN Charter

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Can someone give any political and social details on the impact of Bahrain protests in relation to the Saudi Arabian Government/State?

I know very little on the relationship between the two regions as well as religious and sectarian differences.

What sort of outcome can we expect with Bahrain protests, both successful overthrowing and failure?

I've heard on AJE that the protesters are waiting for the US and other countries to weigh in to the atrocities of killing peaceful protesters before they continue onto the square. What sort of relation does the US state department have with the Bahrainian Govt. and can/will that have any influence with our relationship with Saudi Arabia visa vi the previous question concerning their government's relation to Bahrain.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

One one hand I hope Bernie Ecclestone cancels the Bahrain GP because it is the leaders pride and joy; but on the other hand he will go absolutely mental and a lot more people are going die. There was an article in the Times saying it would be decided on Tuesday/Wednesday depending on how the situation is, so this weekend has potential to be shockingly brutal. Not really sure how it can get much worse than automatic gunfire into crowds but the protesters are going to need a lot of courage if the protests are not to stop overnight.
e:I wouldn't be suprised if he had more influence on Bahrains government than the US right now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sivias posted:

What sort of relation does the US state department have with the Bahrainian Govt. and can/will that have any influence with our relationship with Saudi Arabia visa vi the previous question concerning their government's relation to Bahrain.

My guess is, "Well, we really need that Saudi oil soooooooooooo... It's cool, we'll just have Hillary give a speech where she mildly condemns you for wantonly murdering your own citizens. That's OK, right?"

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:( but i've waited so long for F1 to start up again.... Cant freedom wait until april!?

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

@MrQwerty

Sorry for being obtuse, does this mean that the Saudi and Bahrain governments have close ties? (Apart from requiring it for geographical location)

Does the establishment of the Bahranian government have a direct influence on the export of Saudi Oil?

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Lascivious Sloth posted:

That's hot

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sivias posted:

@MrQwerty

Sorry for being obtuse, does this mean that the Saudi and Bahrain governments have close ties? (Apart from requiring it for geographical location)

Does the establishment of the Bahranian government have a direct influence on the export of Saudi Oil?

The Saudis have threatened to actively involve themselves in Bahrain. The leaders of the Gulf States are all close allies/relatives of the House of Saud, and have an agreement through the GCC that nobody is allowed to advance liberalization of their governments independently of the rest and etc.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Cull posted:

Or a Patrol Boat could invoke the machine spirit of the U.S.S. Samuel B. Roberts and take on the entire Bahraini military by itself (which would still be less badass than what the original ship did).

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

So basically, Saudi Arabia is hosed. Every single nation around them are going through uprisings. Except Oman and the UAE, and Kuwait (Although the protests in southern Iraq can probably count as Kuwaiti protests to some extent.)

Are there any reports for any sort of demonstrations happening within Saudi Arabia? I know they're considered the most conservative of all the Islamic middle eastern nations, and sedition is quite frowned upon, but they have to have some big concerns on what is happening all around them.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

:( but i've waited so long for F1 to start up again.... Cant freedom wait until april!?

It doesn't really start till Australia anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

MrQwerty posted:

The Saudis have threatened to actively involve themselves in Bahrain. The leaders of the Gulf States are all close allies/relatives of the House of Saud, and have an agreement through the GCC that nobody is allowed to advance liberalization of their governments independently of the rest and etc.

In short, Bahrain will be a total bloodbath. :smith:

E: Libya is looking a bit more promising, though. :unsmith:

Ogive fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 18, 2011

• Locked thread