Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This just got posted on the Guardian, the Bahrain army shooting protesters:
:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwnUQcKXmMM&feature=player_embedded :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Holy poo poo. That's just straight up murder.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

China's support for its friends Sudan and Burma, two of the worst regimes on the planet.

It seems that the veto is not really an issue since the end of the cold war. http://www.globalpolicy.org/security-council/tables-and-charts-on-the-security-council-0-82/use-of-the-veto.html

If we are talking about a general horrid view, this list shows US views on such things as the rights of children, the trade of illicit arms and peace in space.
http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa03.html

I don't mind continuing it in another thread, but I will not continue this discussion here.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
That was absolutely horrifying to watch. I hope when this is over the rulers of Bahrain find themselves thrown in jail for th rest of their miserable lives.

Dabadu
Feb 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I'm getting the feeling that I might have to limit myself from clicking all these youtube links. Watching this poo poo, altho important to see, is enough to kill a Spartan inside.

Thanks for spreading tho.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Brown Moses posted:

Massacre video

This is going to be an international issue real quick. Those aren't rubber bullets.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that's loving brutal

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Narmi posted:

That was absolutely horrifying to watch. I hope when this is over the rulers of Bahrain find themselves thrown in jail for th rest of their miserable lives.

Give them to the protesters for ten minutes. That would be more justice than what the army did to those protesters.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is the escalation point or the breaking point?

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Why aren't there more people in this thread?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

mdemone posted:

Is the escalation point or the breaking point?

For the regionwide uprising? I think it'll just be more fuel for the fire. The news narrative seems to think that Bahrain failing will result in other revolutions falling down, but I think it'll just make everybody even more angry. When I was asking about the House of Saud falling and its effects earlier, I was hoping to bring this up: a lot of people are encouraged and ready to fight. We're talking about a region that is very weary and angry. Shooting a few fellow revolutionaries isn't going to stop anything, it's going to turn this very nasty. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the House of Saud has a few attempts made on their members because of this. They chose the wrong time to get involved.

When you're dealing with people with nothing to lose, they have nothing to fear. Not even death. And the rewards they will get for trying far outweigh the risks. Bahrain's response is only going to turn this into a very nasty situation that can either be solved quickly with dictators giving up, or through years of violence that will never, ever end.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brown Moses posted:

Goddamn... That video is loving surreal.

Weird how there's a dude that just got shot in the head and guys are hunched over his corpse taking pictures... And a dying dude next to him.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
They're just...reacting. It's what people do. Picture guy may have been a reporter and their job is to report not to triage.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Craiglen posted:

I suspect a lot of us are lurking. I have nothing to add, so I merely follow along, and no doubt I am far from the only one. :unsmith:

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Seems like the media blackout is significantly more intense than it was in egypt. Not nearly as many twitterers. Information is slow, as well as it's the middle of the night.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

I suspect a lot of us are lurking. I have nothing to add, so I merely follow along, and no doubt I am far from the only one. :unsmith:

Likewise. I want to stay informed, but I don't know enough to contribute to the dialog.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

Craiglen posted:

Friday evening. Some people either go out and have a social life or hunker down for a poopsock-worthy MMPORG weekend.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
By the way, yesterday was the 2 month anniversary Mohamed Bouazizi immolating himself in Tunisia.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

They're just...reacting. It's what people do. Picture guy may have been a reporter and their job is to report not to triage.

A picture will do infinitely more good for the people not shot in the head.

Putting your hand on a bullet wound to the head isn't going to do much for the guy but at least the pictures and videos will be proof of what is going on to everyone else. The greater good and all that.

Geek Icon
May 8, 2006
Hello.
It's sad... but hardly anyone in the other GCC countries really care about what's going on in Bahrain right now. The royal families have declared their support for Bahrain's Emir, and no one is surprised at all by all that. Everyone else is just going on their lives, some more shallow than others.
I read a letter in Dubai's local paper, Khaleej Times. This one local woman called the protests "fashionable" and needless. But then again, the local papers aren't even reporting on the the violence being used in Bahrain.

I just saw that video it's just... depressing. There is no solidarity in the Middle East, none whatsoever. :(

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

randombattle posted:

A picture will do infinitely more good for the people not shot in the head.

Putting your hand on a bullet wound to the head isn't going to do much for the guy but at least the pictures and videos will be proof of what is going on to everyone else. The greater good and all that.

That's what I was trying to say but didn't convey it very well.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

This made me cry :gonk:

The balls of that guy with the flag in his hand, he gets up and raises it again, willing to die to make sure his flag represents something he can be proud of in the future. God drat, I wish I had a quarter of the balls that guy has :unsmith:

Edit:

Geek Icon posted:

I just saw that video it's just... depressing. There is no solidarity in the Middle East, none whatsoever. :(

Truly, there never was. They've been fighting and killing each other since before Jesus' time.

Edit 2: From Twitter:

quote:

EnoughGaddafi Enough Gaddafi
And countless still unnamed, may they rest in peace #Libya #Feb17
11 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Moid Fathi Bujlawi 26 yrs old #Libya #Feb17
12 minutes ago

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Rami Salih Almaghrbi 18 yrs old #Libya #Feb17
13 minutes ago

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Idris Ali Raslan Almaghrbi 13 yrs old #Libya #Feb17
13 minutes ago

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Idris Ali Raslan Almaghrbi 13 yrs old #Libya #Feb17
13 minutes ago

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Mohamed Salem Bu Jnah 21 yrs old #Libya #Feb17
14 minutes ago

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Marwan Al-ShatShat 20 yrs old #Libya #Feb17
14 minutes ago

Names of #Benghazi's martyrs: Fawzi Hussein As-Sabri 36 yrs old #Libya #Feb17

Apology fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 19, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Geek Icon posted:

It's sad... but hardly anyone in the other GCC countries really care about what's going on in Bahrain right now. The royal families have declared their support for Bahrain's Emir, and no one is surprised at all by all that. Everyone else is just going on their lives, some more shallow than others.
I read a letter in Dubai's local paper, Khaleej Times. This one local woman called the protests "fashionable" and needless. But then again, the local papers aren't even reporting on the the violence being used in Bahrain.

I'm hoping some poo poo gets stirred up in Dubai. It would be great if all the guest workers went on strike.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Getting evidence of such things is very important. If they didn't take pictures or film it there would never be accurate reports of what the gently caress is going on.

As is, I really think a few of these countries will only find a change in government via armed revolution. Unfortunate that we have a limp wristed President who wouldn't consider having the CIA start dead dropping small arms and anti-tank weapons.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Geek Icon posted:

I would say the common people of the region are displaying a remarkable amount of solidarity. February is apparently official 'lets stop this retarded theology/monarchy/military dictatorship bullshit' month. I haven't been this hopeful about the future of the world in a very long time.

(I'm also one of those damned conservatives. Love this thread full of stereotyping hatred.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Space Monster posted:

(I'm also one of those damned conservatives. Love this thread full of stereotyping hatred.)

There's nothing wrong with actual conservatives. The ones people hate are the bigoted "GOD HATES FAGS MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR AGAINST US" nutjobs that use conservatism to justify their hatreds.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Are any major governments saying anything official about this? Most people are lurking because politics is confusing and frustrating. I am too, but I just wanted to ask about official statements. Otherwise, it would just be, "Well, why isn't Obama saying anything when we're in Iraq and Afghanistan trying to spread democracy? These Bahraini people are trying to spread democracy and being murdered for it. Where's the support now?"

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Young Freud posted:

I'm hoping some poo poo gets stirred up in Dubai. It would be great if all the guest workers went on strike.

You mean the ones who are basically trapped because their passports were taken away? The ones that are for all intents and purposes worked like slaves? Why haven't they revolted already? Serious question.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(

Space Monster posted:

Ahahah, I'm sure if you've managed to justify your conservatism in your own mind you don't have to worry about a few mean posts on the internet.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

King Dopplepopolos posted:

You mean the ones who are basically trapped because their passports were taken away? The ones that are for all intents and purposes worked like slaves? Why haven't they revolted already? Serious question.

Because the army would smash them like bugs with no reservations.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
A man can't ride your back unless it's bent. He didn't run, he kept filming :unsmith:

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's nothing wrong with actual conservatives. The ones people hate are the bigoted "GOD HATES FAGS MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR AGAINST US" nutjobs that use conservatism to justify their hatreds.

The word's been pretty corrupted over the years. What is labeled 'conservatism' is actually 'authoritarianism'. Case in point - if U.S. Republicans were truly conservative, why are they completely unwilling to reduce defense spending?

edit: Also, poo poo like Bahrain serves to show how hosed up U.S. news reporting is. Everyone, I mean everyone else in the world is focusing on Bahrain etc., whereas in the US every single news agency is relegating it to minor stories. And in many cases, with very outdated information: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bahrain-protesters-call-ouster-monarchy-egypt-hold-victory/story?id=12946668

quote:

Soldiers reportedly fired weapons and tear gas canisters into the air this morning

Yeah, I don't think "headshotting protestors" counts as "firing into the air".

Goreld fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 19, 2011

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Generalizations ahoy! I don't think this is a 100% it, but something like 75% of the situation.

The Arabs has a huge youth population bubble that's unemployed

The Arab's highest political unit is the tribe.

I think that you're going to get continuing higher levels of unrest for a couple of decades until this bulge gets into their 30s.

Strongman of the tribe gets control of the seat of government and the tax money, showers it into his faction/tribe until the money runs out/fails to give the tribe enough money, etc and is replaced by another strongman.

I see it as fighting over a desk job with aircon in the Ministry of Something, rather than raging for democracy now.

I can't see them developing jobs any other way. Corruption, lack of responsibility (the jews made me strip the copper from the traffic lights), lack of imagination (able to adapt western technology but not create any), with gently caress you got mine tribalism on top. They have some big cultural road blocks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goreld posted:

The word's been pretty corrupted over the years. What is labeled 'conservatism' is actually 'authoritarianism'. Case in point - if U.S. Republicans were truly conservative, why are they completely unwilling to reduce defense spending?

Because they remain convinced that the US is still at war with somebody. They just need to figure out who that somebody is, but when they do, you're going to be glad you've got that big army!

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Goreld posted:

That's why they came up with the word 'neo-conservative' but it seems like the distinction has vanished for whatever reason.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Dudebro posted:

Are any major governments saying anything official about this? Most people are lurking because politics is confusing and frustrating. I am too, but I just wanted to ask about official statements.

Most goverments are wary of taking sides until everything is over. Ther are a lot of politics at play, which makes it really hard to stand up to the governments here. Hillary Clinton recently called a press conference denouncing the violence and saying the people had a right to protest peacefully, but reaffirming that the US supports the Bahrain government (but then again you can read this thread to see how much she believes that).

Dudebro posted:

Otherwise, it would just be, "Well, why isn't Obama saying anything when we're in Iraq and Afghanistan trying to spread democracy? These Bahraini people are trying to spread democracy and being murdered for it. Where's the support now?"

You have to realize that stability has always been prioritized above peace in these countries. In Egypt the US threw its support behind Mubarak, then Suleiman taking over (who was the CIA point man/torturer) until those scenarios became unrealistic. Also keep in mind that Bahrain serves as a base for the US 5th fleet, and Iran is right next door, so they have a vested interest in not shaking the boat too much there.

e:

Space Monster posted:

Most people who bring up conservatives are more referring to the Glenn Beck/Fox news type, who act as though Middle-Easterners couldn't handle democracy without becoming the next Iran.

e2:

For the record, this sums up what the protesters in Egypt looked like:

Click here for the full 634x472 image.

(Christians formed a human barrier around the Muslims so they could pray peacefully, and the Muslims returned the favour during Mass.)

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 19, 2011

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Been lurking this thread because I'm not too savvy about the region's politics, but this is one of the most amazing and awe-inspiring things I've ever borne witness to in my life. Godspeed you fearless freedom fighters :allears:

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Vernii posted:

Because the army would smash them like bugs with no reservations.

Yeah, that would probably explain it. :smith:
Their foreign workers, so the army wouldn't have any solidarity with them.

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be

BCR posted:

Generalizations ahoy! I don't think this is a 100% it, but something like 75% of the situation.

I think that you're going to get continuing higher levels of unrest for a couple of decades until this bulge gets into their 30s.

Strongman of the tribe gets control of the seat of government and the tax money, showers it into his faction/tribe until the money runs out/fails to give the tribe enough money, etc and is replaced by another strongman.

I see it as fighting over a desk job with aircon in the Ministry of Something, rather than raging for democracy now.

I can't see them developing jobs any other way. Corruption, lack of responsibility (the jews made me strip the copper from the traffic lights), lack of imagination (able to adapt western technology but not create any), with gently caress you got mine tribalism on top. They have some big cultural road blocks.

^^^^

This is basically what we mean when we say conservatives. You know, racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

BCR posted:

I did not know that Arabs all live in the pre-Middle Ages!
FYI that is a pretty terrible analysis in every way, this isn't tribalism, antisemitism and some magical inability to think as good as westerners whipped into a fever pitch

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 19, 2011

• Locked thread