Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

froglet posted:

An update to this - I have such an oversupply I am now donating to the local milk bank for premature babies.

It's kinda funny given that I thought I wouldn't have enough, but I'm happy I'm able to donate :unsmith:

Having had premature babies- hey, thanks <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having had premature babies- hey, thanks <3

Aww, hope they're doing well. <3

Kiddo is gassy, can't move it, and has screamed almost non-stop since about 1pm.

I took him to my parents house, he slept a bit in the car, and we all took turns trying to console him to no avail. My dad even went out and bought degassing drops, but no idea if that's helped yet.

We've finally come home, I've passed the little nugget onto his dad, and am currently blasting music through noise-cancelling headphones to drown out his screams.

The poor little guy is struggling, and I'm not sure how we can help him beyond what we're doing already. :smith:

Also, he's not really slept properly since lunchtime, idk how we can soothe him when he won't sleep coz he's in so much discomfort.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mylicon degassing drops are awesome. They basically eliminate surface tension of bubbles and the gas turns into tiny foam bubbles and everything just kind of flows. It's inert, and not processed by the body so, while you shouldn't give them more than the recommended dose, don't worry about giving them a half dose just give them the full dose, as often as recommended on the bottle

Also look up the "I love you" gut massage technique to try and move the gas bubbles moving

And yeah it's totally fine to just drive them around in the car until they pass out and then go park at a nice park with the windows open. Parents with sleeping babies in the back seat are like a third of all Starbucks drive through customers

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Baby is due at the end of next February and just got my diaper bag and looking at all the cool stuff out there.. Looking at the Nuna MIXX Next + PIPA™ RX Travel System and all the other stuff out there.

Any thoughts on this baby brezza bottle washer ? Seems expensive but I keep hearing all the horror stories of bottle washing

https://babybrezza.com/products/bottle-washer-pro

fyallm fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 27, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyallm posted:

Any thoughts on this baby brezza bottle washer ? Seems expensive but I keep hearing all the horror stories of bottle washing

https://babybrezza.com/products/bottle-washer-pro

A friend got me a Baby Brezza sterilizer. It looks like it holds about the same number of bottles as that washer. Here's what I'd say:

• It's not too bad to load with just bottles, except the square Hegen bottles hang weirdly
  • Loading anything except bottles (e.g. breast pump components) is a pain in the rear end because it's actually super cramped inside and you can't really put anything in the top rack except nipples.
  • It's finicky about how much water you put in. If you don't pour in enough, it'll get halfway through the process and then stop to yell at you.
  • It takes up a shitload of space on the counter

We use it occasionally. For actual day to day washing, we just toss the bottles into a steel bowl in the sink and then once or twice a day go in and wash them all by hand. A $2 bottle brush and hot water is all you need for the bottles themselves. For everything else, I use half a dish sponge (the smaller size makes it more versatile) that I dedicate to bottles, plus a smaller brush for getting inside the nipple tips.

IMO spend the money on a good breast pump instead.

edit: just saw your edit, we have a Nuna Pipa + Triv system and like them a lot. You really need to get your hands on these things to decide if you like them. At least around here (SF bay area), Nordstrom carries a lot of Nuna.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

With baby 1 we didn’t use a sterilizer and we spend a shitload of time washing bottles (which isn’t all bad, i remember those bottle washing sessions very fondly as quiet podcast time).

We got one for baby 2 because saving that time seemed like a good idea, and while it does have some negatives (counterspace, still have to organize 20 things after, a little cramped) it’s definitely worth it imo.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Are you going to use a lot of bottles? If you’re planning to breastfeed vs pump vs formula feed will greatly change the urgency of this purchase for you. And also - you may plan on one of these things and end up doing another. My advice is to wait and see until after baby is here unless you’re 100% sure from the get-go you’re doing formula. You can always order one with 2-day if you need it, but otherwise you run a serious risk of having bought stuff you don’t use.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

We combo fed in the beginning and changed into 100% formula fed at two months and we've made do with 5 bottles, handwashed and sterilized in the microwave. I don't mind the handwashing, it doesn't really take that much time imo. Just make sure you have a clean bottle at hand when baby is hungry.

Idk if Mam is a brand in the US but they have self sterilizing bottles you fill with water and pop in the microwave. Super easy.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

A friend got me a Baby Brezza sterilizer. It looks like it holds about the same number of bottles as that washer. Here's what I'd say:

• It's not too bad to load with just bottles, except the square Hegen bottles hang weirdly
  • Loading anything except bottles (e.g. breast pump components) is a pain in the rear end because it's actually super cramped inside and you can't really put anything in the top rack except nipples.
  • It's finicky about how much water you put in. If you don't pour in enough, it'll get halfway through the process and then stop to yell at you.
  • It takes up a shitload of space on the counter

We use it occasionally. For actual day to day washing, we just toss the bottles into a steel bowl in the sink and then once or twice a day go in and wash them all by hand. A $2 bottle brush and hot water is all you need for the bottles themselves. For everything else, I use half a dish sponge (the smaller size makes it more versatile) that I dedicate to bottles, plus a smaller brush for getting inside the nipple tips.

IMO spend the money on a good breast pump instead.

edit: just saw your edit, we have a Nuna Pipa + Triv system and like them a lot. You really need to get your hands on these things to decide if you like them. At least around here (SF bay area), Nordstrom carries a lot of Nuna.

Thank you for this info, i think we are going with a mom cozy for breastpump.. (i think thats hpw you spell it but hesrd great things)

Also, the nuna we tried out in person at a pottery barn and really liked it!

Edit: thansk for the info, it only held 4 bottles but good to hear some of you thought it was worth it and this new one i cluses washing and sterlizling amd drying

fyallm fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 27, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyallm posted:

Thank you for this info, i think we are going with a mom cozy for breastpump.. (i think thats hpw you spell it but hesrd great things)

Also, the nuna we tried out in person at a pottery barn and really liked it!

Edit: thansk for the info, it only held 4 bottles but good to hear some of you thought it was worth it and this new one i cluses washing and sterlizling amd drying

Yeah I guess if it also washed the bottles we'd probably use it a lot more.

My wife tried the MomCozy S12, didn't like it, returned it. I think she found it was kind of a hassle to get them on properly and keep them there. I always felt like they were going to leak.

We've had good luck with a Spectra S1 and a Pumpables Genie. They're both basically the same technology, just with slightly different cup designs.. and I'm actually pretty sure you could plug the Spectra cup/bottle assembly into the Pumpables pump and vice versa.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I guess if it also washed the bottles we'd probably use it a lot more.

My wife tried the MomCozy S12, didn't like it, returned it. I think she found it was kind of a hassle to get them on properly and keep them there. I always felt like they were going to leak.

We've had good luck with a Spectra S1 and a Pumpables Genie. They're both basically the same technology, just with slightly different cup designs.. and I'm actually pretty sure you could plug the Spectra cup/bottle assembly into the Pumpables pump and vice versa.

Thank you for that, will add them to the list 🤗

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Hadlock posted:

Mylicon degassing drops are awesome. They basically eliminate surface tension of bubbles and the gas turns into tiny foam bubbles and everything just kind of flows. It's inert, and not processed by the body so, while you shouldn't give them more than the recommended dose, don't worry about giving them a half dose just give them the full dose, as often as recommended on the bottle

Also look up the "I love you" gut massage technique to try and move the gas bubbles moving

And yeah it's totally fine to just drive them around in the car until they pass out and then go park at a nice park with the windows open. Parents with sleeping babies in the back seat are like a third of all Starbucks drive through customers

Yeah we did bicycle leggies and massages and it helped a bit (I got the most beatific of smiles when a small fart came out, haha).

He would doze long enough to charge his screaming batteries, screamed some more, and eventually ran out of puff around 11pm. He then slept 8 or 9 hours, had a feed and a nappy change, then went back to sleep. Which meant everyone was recharged and ready for his next round of unsettled screaming! :v:

While he's still got a bee in his bonnet about something, he's a lot better today. :unsmith:

cailleask posted:

Are you going to use a lot of bottles? If you’re planning to breastfeed vs pump vs formula feed will greatly change the urgency of this purchase for you. And also - you may plan on one of these things and end up doing another. My advice is to wait and see until after baby is here unless you’re 100% sure from the get-go you’re doing formula. You can always order one with 2-day if you need it, but otherwise you run a serious risk of having bought stuff you don’t use.

Yeah, this. My other suggestion is if you're planning to primarily breastfeed or pump but want to keep formula on hand while supply is being established, get a small tin of formula or the sachets of it. I did need to top my little guy up with formula at the start, but I only did it a handful of times and then had to throw away a huge container of formula coz it had expired (I forgot to give it away on my local Buy Nothing group).

Re: pumps - I have a Spectra S1, and I think the only reason I've been able to exclusively keep feeding my boy breast milk is that I can pump directly into milk storage cups. The spectra breast shields are compatible with the Philips Avent bottles and milk storage cups, which means I don't have to worry about running out of bottles to express into.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For bottle washing we got one of the nuby silicone bottle brushes (the nicu told us we should use a silicone one since it's easier to clean out and you can sanitize it), plus a munchkin keyring with several different brush styles.

You need the bottle brush to get inside the bottle. We used the Dr. Brown's bottles so you need the keyring brushes to get into the little parts. The munchkin one is nice since we can use the tiny brush to go through the nipple (be careful with very tiny nipples like a preemie flow or something). If you get the Dr. Browns do not shove their little blue brush through the nipple, it's a nipple destroyer. The munchkin one has a very tiny tip so it won't wreck the nipples.

IMO you should also get a dedicated tub to fill with soapy water and a drying rack that can be cleaned through the dishwasher.

With bottle cleaning, you should either just hand wash the bottles immediately after use, or buy enough bottles that you can run it through the dishwasher with a sanitize setting or through whatever device you choose. If the bottle isn't washed within an hour you'll need to sterilize it, otherwise a routine cleaning is fine (with sterilization every day until they're old enough that it doesn't matter).

Cleaning out the Dr. Brown's bottles takes probably twice as long as a regular bottle. All the parts are finnicky and need the detailed cleaning tools. But even then it's not that long, maybe like 5 minutes after a feeding.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

But yeah playing it by ear at the start is good. My wife intended on breastfeeding, but she never produced much milk at all (seriously like 5ml every pump for weeks, with a hospital-grade pump) so she had to give up and we went full formula.

If you do go formula though buy a little 0.1g scale so you can weigh out the formula powder. It will save you tons of money since you don't have to go by the scoops.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We used formula from the drop and we used a food scale and a Dr. Brown's pitcher to make a day's worth of formula once a day. We could boil the water and all that (for the first two months) once a day instead of for every time we needed a bottle. We just kept it in the fridge and dosed it into bottles thru the day as needed. We hand washed bottles in a stainless steel tub for those first few months then would just run them thru the dishwasher on sanitize.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Controversial information coming up: I never sanitized my kid’s bottles after the initial sterilization after taking them out of the packages, and for that I boiled them in water. All I did was throw them in a bowl of soap water, and at the end of the day washed them by hand in hot soapy water. They would be fully dry by the next day.

That being said, I did exclusively breast milk the first time, then breast and formula combo the second time, so wasn’t using hardly as many bottles as someone who relies entirely on bottles would.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have one of those kids unspillable bottles from the shark tank thing. I am really on top of rinsing them out before anything solidifies, but my wife will leave it in the sun all day and turns to yogurt or worse

We usually just use soapy water, and after I drop the kid off at school I'll toss it in the microwave for 2:30 which is enough to boil the water and after school I'll pull it out of the microwave (10 min sitting in the microwave after the soapy water boiled is enough to kill pretty much anything) and rinse it out

Prior to the unspillable bottles we just ordered pre-mix formula in cases of 48 and disposable latex nipples in bags of 50 or 100 for the first year and never had to wash anything, which was awesome. Also didn't have to worry about refridgerating or heating up the milk as it was shelf stable and sterile. Pre-mix formula and disposable nipples for one baby cost us about $1200 including shipping and tax over a year. I highly highly recommend this if you can afford it. If kiddo wakes up in the middle of the night you can get the bottle in their mouth in 30 seconds (because it's room temperature and it's and it's right there and they will go back to sleep right after feeding without getting too worked up.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Koivunen posted:

Controversial information coming up: I never sanitized my kid’s bottles after the initial sterilization after taking them out of the packages, and for that I boiled them in water. All I did was throw them in a bowl of soap water, and at the end of the day washed them by hand in hot soapy water. They would be fully dry by the next day.

Yeah we also just did soap and water - I hand washed for like 2-3 months then started putting them in with our regular dishes in the dishwasher and ran it thru a sterilize cycle. I hand washed with separate brushes I suppose. We did boil formula water for campylobacter concerns but they only recommend that for the first 2 months.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

marchantia posted:

Yeah we also just did soap and water - I hand washed for like 2-3 months then started putting them in with our regular dishes in the dishwasher and ran it thru a sterilize cycle. I hand washed with separate brushes I suppose. We did boil formula water for campylobacter concerns but they only recommend that for the first 2 months.

We just did soap and water as well. I’d def recommend a drying rack that’s able to accommodate a lot of random poo poo. We got the one that looks like grass and has a tree attachment for nipples, and we just made that space the place where only extremely clean things ever go. My wife gave up trying to boil-sanitize the breast pump parts and just used the tiny brushes similar to above.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
If you have a fridge or a wall next to your drying rack, you can hang up a metal shower caddy for extra bottle drying space that’s off the counter.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Pre-mix formula and disposable nipples for one baby cost us about $1200 including shipping and tax over a year.

drat I think my formula budget would be over twice that and I use dry powder! Maybe I should have bought a palette of the powder or something.

If you do want to do that though just wait a bit and make sure your kid does well on whatever formula.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We just continued to buy the same stuff they were serving at the hospital, unless they were out, and there were some shortages mid pandemic

Yeah once you factor in the $250 bottle system, $100 to replace lost poo poo, and $200 in dishwasher electricity and whatever other incidentals maybe the delta isn't so high

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I’ve only ever cleaned my bottles and pump equipment with soap and water 😳

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
I'd hesitate to advocate for anything resembling recommending not sterilizing things that go in newborn mouths, even if it is convenient. Fungal infections can go real bad real fast. Didn't we learn this from the Last of Us?

Sometime I will do a write up of my five-day clusterfuck of a failed induction (well, not entirely failed - I got into labor for three days and everyone left the hospital alive, but I ended up in the OR when I didn't want to be due to everyone's vitals getting fucky). Then again, it isn't exactly funny or uplifting or whatever, so maybe better to leave it at the short summary.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Man, I just wanna say that I've been keeping Mylicon stocked in our medicine cabinet since the kid was born over a year ago, and it's still such a lifesaver omg. Lately he's been gassy at night, we're trying to narrow down the cause but in the meantime it's cool as hell to have what feels like magical drops to get him from wailing to calmed down to asleep within 10-15 minutes

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

I’ve only ever cleaned my bottles and pump equipment with soap and water 😳

The midwives told me that's fine if all bub is eating is breast milk, so that's what I'm doing!

(Except when I express for the hospital - then I do sterilise the pumping equipment)

Super Librarian posted:

Man, I just wanna say that I've been keeping Mylicon stocked in our medicine cabinet since the kid was born over a year ago, and it's still such a lifesaver omg. Lately he's been gassy at night, we're trying to narrow down the cause but in the meantime it's cool as hell to have what feels like magical drops to get him from wailing to calmed down to asleep within 10-15 minutes

Yeah the drops helped heaps, though I wish they worked on him as quickly as they do on your bub!

In the past week I've discovered parenting with a cold is truly cursed. Nothing quite like loudly sneezing just when you've gotten the little guy all drowsy! :suicide:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Toured a Primerose on Monday... $1,400 a month. No cameras anywhere in the building (would be nice for me to know people are being held accountable and can replay if needed). And she pointed out their low child-to-adult ratio, and then I counted the kids thru the glass doors during our tour, and 3 rooms were over the ratio...

Then I asked about the cleaning of rooms and such, and they have different shoes for different rooms, and then not even 30 seconds someone walked past us wearing shoes from outside into the room... So I was like uhh it all sounds good but I dunno about this..

Also online it talked about how they teach sign language and all this other stuff and they didn't mention any of that..

Going to check out a Goddard school and another one tomorrow. Hopefully I get a better feeling from those

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyallm posted:

they have different shoes for different rooms, and then not even 30 seconds someone walked past us wearing shoes from outside into the room

huh?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Yep daycare is expensive AF, my two kids go part time and it’s $350/week. The ratio thing is concerning though, daycare should be super strict about this.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
We checked out Primrose and they just seemed to really not have their poo poo together.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What my wife did was go online and check the violation and complaint citations for each daycare on the state website.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
We had a really good experience going through our local university child development center for childcare. It's usually pretty affordable, they use the latest research-backed methods, and if you or a partner happen to be a student at the time you can often get priority or discounts.

That being said, the fact that child development center abbreviates to CDC is pretty apt. We spent August through April this past year sick continuously with no breaks. But that's going to be an issue anywhere you go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would like to get off the "continuously sick from daycare diseases" ride, please

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Currently in month 11 of being sick all the time

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What my wife did was go online and check the violation and complaint citations for each daycare on the state website.

Oh this is a great idea, I need to see if I can find it for my state, thank you for this. I found where I can file a compliant but not see where I can find it.

We checked out Goddard and Prescolaire and I couldn't really see the benefit of the extra 600 a month for Prescolaire, but we really liked Goddard.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 12, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Any rock solid tips for waking up a newborn for breastfeeding? Ours is 3 days old and today the little bastard just wants to scream his lungs off instead of actually eat.

At first I thought it was because I was waiting too long to wake him up (which tbf I think I was) but I tried getting him as soon as I saw feeding cues this time (rooting, eyes fluttering, arms wiggling) and same result.

We had been waking him by changing his diaper and then putting him on the boob, which worked the first two days, but today it’s just pissing him off too much to eat. Is there a gentler way to get him up while keeping him in the right mood to eat? It is distressing my wife to no end, which ironically just makes the baby more upset and the whole thing harder. We’re still at hospital, and the nurses/consultants keep showing us tricks that work once and then never again apparently

I love him but cmon, give your mom a break here

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Yep daycare is expensive AF, my two kids go part time and it’s $350/week. The ratio thing is concerning though, daycare should be super strict about this.

Absolutely about the ratios, here in Australia there's news articles about parents being asked to keep their kids home so the centre doesn't go over ratio.

We've started our 4 month old at daycare one day a week, mainly to ensure there's availability for us when we both go back to work.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Any rock solid tips for waking up a newborn for breastfeeding? Ours is 3 days old and today the little bastard just wants to scream his lungs off instead of actually eat.

At first I thought it was because I was waiting too long to wake him up (which tbf I think I was) but I tried getting him as soon as I saw feeding cues this time (rooting, eyes fluttering, arms wiggling) and same result.

We had been waking him by changing his diaper and then putting him on the boob, which worked the first two days, but today it’s just pissing him off too much to eat. Is there a gentler way to get him up while keeping him in the right mood to eat? It is distressing my wife to no end, which ironically just makes the baby more upset and the whole thing harder. We’re still at hospital, and the nurses/consultants keep showing us tricks that work once and then never again apparently

I love him but cmon, give your mom a break here

With my little guy I'd hand-express some directly into his mouth/onto the nipple while he was screaming into it to tell him that food was right there. As soon as he tasted the milk, he'd go "oh poo poo, FOOD!!!!" then latch on like a gummy piranha.

Alternatively, the hospital should have a breast pump available for her to use so you can bottle-feed him. It might make sense to give him the bottle to take the edge off his hunger, then offer him the boob? I had difficulties breastfeeding despite having a massive oversupply, and had to mainly bottle-feed him for the first couple months coz he was born a little bit early and couldn't latch well (that and sometimes he wanted a dribble of milk but I was giving him a high-pressure firehose of the stuff instead).

However, if he's losing his mind coz he's hungry, there's nothing wrong with giving him a bit of formula, especially while supply is being established.

Good luck, I hope it goes well!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

And at 3 days old there's no reason to think it'll continue like that. Once your baby gets into a better rhythm (they're born with a hosed up rhythm because in-utero they like to be active when the mom is resting and rest when the mom is moving) it could very easily get better. That and getting back from the hospital into a more calm environment where they can get some good sleep in the dark and don't have lights, beeps, and nurses everywhere.

Not that it's guaranteed he won't keep pulling that poo poo in a week's time, but from my memory a lot of bullshit my dude would pull just kinda got better over time. And then some other things might get worse but y'know that's just babies.

In the meantime, a few other things to think about: is he being swaddled? Maybe swaddling, rocking, and shushing a bit after diaper change until he calms down a little then try feeding? Have you tried feeding right from sleep? The sucking and swallowing is basically a reflex so he might just go for it a little bit. IDK if that's discouraged or not though. You could try feeding a bit, then change, then finish or some variation like that maybe?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

My little guy has a cold. He then gave it to me. It's also an 'unprecedented' heatwave here, so even though I'm mostly recovered, it's not like I can really take him out in the pram anywhere unless it's really early in the morning or late at night (and I don't think taking him to the shops is such a good idea when he's still poorly).

Poor thing coughs so much he wakes himself up, then cries at me coz he's tired. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

update on my post (which i'll be honest i only half remember making lol babies)--the issue was one of production, he was screaming because he was hungry and not getting enough to eat. Forever grateful to the angel/nurse who quickly figured that out and suggested we supplement with formula, everything's been fine since on that front. that was a very, very long night