Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

update on my post (which i'll be honest i only half remember making lol babies)--the issue was one of production, he was screaming because he was hungry and not getting enough to eat. Forever grateful to the angel/nurse who quickly figured that out and suggested we supplement with formula, everything's been fine since on that front. that was a very, very long night

fed baby == happy baby!
Glad it worked out, those first nights are truly insane because of so many reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down
oops never followed up on my previous post! everything is genetically normal and i have way fewer doc visits with this pregnancy, which is nice (one year under the geriatric pregnancy cutoff :corsair: ). was under the impression that an anterior placenta meant you would feel less movement. this baby is somehow more active than my first and at 27 weeks things are starting to get violent in there. he seems to be sideways breech like his sister was up until the end. noticed that he jumbles around in there when my 14m old yells/cries, which is kind of cute...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I hope this question fits in the thread:

As part of Christmas, I’m putting together a big care package for my partner who is coming up on 5 months. So far, just a bunch of her favorite comfort foods and lotions etc.

What I’m wondering is if there is anything she’s gonna really need as the date draws closer that would also be suitable?

This is our first kid, so it’s all new to us.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Fruits of the sea posted:

As part of Christmas, I’m putting together a big care package for my partner who is coming up on 5 months. So far, just a bunch of her favorite comfort foods and lotions etc.

What I’m wondering is if there is anything she’s gonna really need as the date draws closer that would also be suitable?

Pregnancy pillow, if she doesn't have one already? There's noodle-shaped ones and cheese-wedge shaped ones.

Eye mask and earplugs for the hospital, especially if they're a light sleeper.

Long shoe horn to help them put shoes on - only if you think they'd find it useful and they'll have a sense of humour about it (not everyone will take it well). IKEA does a very affordable one.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Fruits of the sea posted:

we just had ours at the start of december and the lowkey champ of the delivery and recovery period was a clip on battery powered fan to keep her from overheating, highly recommend

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
A good water bottle or cup if she doesn't have one or fifty already.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Emily Spinach posted:

A good water bottle or cup if she doesn't have one or fifty already.

oh also my wife swears by this for breastfeeding - https://easyjug.com/

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Mad Wack posted:

oh also my wife swears by this for breastfeeding - https://easyjug.com/

Jesus Christ my wife would love this. Her ragtag collection of the largest cups we own just ain’t doing it.

As for other things, and I could be off on this, a big one is comfortable maternity clothes. We had a ton of handmedowns from well-off family and my wife’s life was made a LOT easier by having lots of high quality and functional maternity wear.

The thing that I got her that she gets the most use out of is YouTube premium, along with nice earbuds to make sitting in a dark room for potentially hours bearable.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My wife's only request for the emergency maternity bag so far is that I bring the Switch so she can play MK and tetris if she gets bored. I don't think she'll need it but ok.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions! That’s lots to work with.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I absolutely used our steam deck while we were in postpartum for our second back in June. Not really while I was in labor, but it was only like six hours from starting the induction to baby. It's totally plausible someone with a longer go of it would get bored, especially during early labor.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Shoehead posted:

My wife's only request for the emergency maternity bag so far is that I bring the Switch so she can play MK and tetris if she gets bored. I don't think she'll need it but ok.

my wife also requested the switch, we brought it to the hospital and it is sitting next to her for the first two weeks postpartum but frankly she's been too exhausted to play it

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Hey folks, my wife is about 30 weeks along with our first kid. Previously, she has noticed her belly can get a bit lop-sided when the kid is pushing in a particular direction, but now she is noticing her belly is lopsided all the time. Is this anything to be worried about?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Only if you have a very symmetrical photoshoot coming up

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

HaitianDivorce posted:

Hey folks, my wife is about 30 weeks along with our first kid. Previously, she has noticed her belly can get a bit lop-sided when the kid is pushing in a particular direction, but now she is noticing her belly is lopsided all the time. Is this anything to be worried about?

my wife was lop sided the entire pregnancy and it wasn't an issue at all, he just really liked the left side! it got pretty funny by the end, and it didn't ruin our maternity photo shoot either

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mad Wack posted:

my wife also requested the switch, we brought it to the hospital and it is sitting next to her for the first two weeks postpartum but frankly she's been too exhausted to play it

I figure it'll be like trying to take my DS to things as a teen, if we bring it we'll never look at it once but if we don't things will drag.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Jesus Christ my wife would love this. Her ragtag collection of the largest cups we own just ain’t doing it.

it was three 32-oz Nalgene bottles for us and god help me if I forgot to fill them before bed.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

As for other things, and I could be off on this, a big one is comfortable maternity clothes. We had a ton of handmedowns from well-off family and my wife’s life was made a LOT easier by having lots of high quality and functional maternity wear.

My husband got me a nice, comfy bathrobe with good-sized pockets while I was pregnant, and it's easily one of the best pregnancy/parenthood gifts I received.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Super Librarian posted:

My husband got me a nice, comfy bathrobe with good-sized pockets while I was pregnant, and it's easily one of the best pregnancy/parenthood gifts I received.

A goon friend gifted me a maternity Oodie. While I'm not sure if it's something available outside of Australia, I imagine you can get similar - it's amazing. During (southern hemisphere) winter even Mr Froglet wore it a few times.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

froglet posted:

A goon friend gifted me a maternity Oodie. While I'm not sure if it's something available outside of Australia, I imagine you can get similar - it's amazing. During (southern hemisphere) winter even Mr Froglet wore it a few times.

They have a US store too, and it looks like they're having a sale too. Now I have to resist temptation.

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

HaitianDivorce posted:

i noticed this about halfway through my first pregnancy, right side of my abs stuck out farther especially when flexing. never went away postpartum, didnt affect my workouts or abdominal strength, and i didnt experience diastasis recti. its more obvious now because i am pregnant again but my OB didnt seem concerned. both pregnancies have had baby chilling transverse breech the majority of the time!

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Freebus posted:

i noticed this about halfway through my first pregnancy, right side of my abs stuck out farther especially when flexing. never went away postpartum, didnt affect my workouts or abdominal strength, and i didnt experience diastasis recti. its more obvious now because i am pregnant again but my OB didnt seem concerned. both pregnancies have had baby chilling transverse breech the majority of the time!

Much love and appreciation to you and everyone else who answered my post. My daughter was born 10 weeks premature around 2:45 this morning.

Turns out the listing to the side, the over fullness of her belly, and the breach position were all signs of a unicorn uterus which no one caught. With only one horn/tube developed in her uterus, my wife's body wasn't quite able to take her to term and she started gushing amniotic fluid at random last night.

I am with my wife in a postpartum unit recovering from her C-section in one hospital and our daughter is in a NICU in a different one. I went to see her this afternoon and she is terrifyingly tiny and fragile but seems to be getting along well. Hoping that she will be able to come home in late Feb/early March.

Thoughts and prayers if you have them, goons. Thanks again to everyone.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Congrats, and I hope the best for you!

I know they can be terrifyingly tiny in the nicu. My boy was only 4 weeks premature, and he was very tiny.

My wife was born at like 2 lbs and change or something like that. I saw some old photos and she was even tinier.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:toot: merry christmas!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Apropos of thread title.

Has anyone gotten hemorrhoids treated/tied off? What was it like?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looks like our baba is about 2cm short of where he should be at week 34. We've a scan soon, hopefully things are OK

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

HaitianDivorce posted:

Much love and appreciation to you and everyone else who answered my post. My daughter was born 10 weeks premature around 2:45 this morning.

Turns out the listing to the side, the over fullness of her belly, and the breach position were all signs of a unicorn uterus which no one caught. With only one horn/tube developed in her uterus, my wife's body wasn't quite able to take her to term and she started gushing amniotic fluid at random last night.

I am with my wife in a postpartum unit recovering from her C-section in one hospital and our daughter is in a NICU in a different one. I went to see her this afternoon and she is terrifyingly tiny and fragile but seems to be getting along well. Hoping that she will be able to come home in late Feb/early March.

Thoughts and prayers if you have them, goons. Thanks again to everyone.

hope your family is doing well

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Looks like our baba is about 2cm short of where he should be at week 34. We've a scan soon, hopefully things are OK

Hope everything is OK - I've heard stuff like this many times and it just ends up being weird percentiles. For example me and my wife were born in one country and the country we're in has crazy high standards for baby weight, so everyone is always warned about baby weight although we're within our country's percentiles. Statistics are weird and deviations don't always mean something is wrong

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Our 9lb 7oz whopper arrived 17 days late via caesarean after 22 hours of labour and pretty much every induction method didn't do the job. The size was a bit of a surprise as they'd had him as slightly below average to average in all of our midwife appointments and scans!

My wife and the baby have stayed in hospital a few extra days to get to grips with feeding, which is proving challenging although I gather that's not uncommon in C section. Basically baby knows where the nipple is and can even start latching on but after a couple of sucks he just gives up and either gets bored and falls asleep or gets frustrated and starts screaming into the nipple.

Otherwise, he's so lovely and chill so far! I'm surprised by how much and how well he's sleeping, aside from his first night which was a struggle for both mum and baby.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congratulations!

Don't feel pressured to do boob only

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Freebus posted:

hope your family is doing well

Hey, thanks. It has been a hard few weeks, but things are looking ip. She's about 3 lbs 12 oz today. Wife is doing alright, though very concerned about both milk supply and making sure she's not getting our daughter sick. I think they're gonna try taking her off CPAP in the next day or so we are excited to get to see more of her little face :unsmith:

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

Shoehead posted:

i dont put too much faith in ultrasound measurements after my first. scans kept having her head circumference 20-30%ile and she decided instead to come out with a 99%ile head

HaitianDivorce posted:

Hey, thanks. It has been a hard few weeks, but things are looking ip. She's about 3 lbs 12 oz today. Wife is doing alright, though very concerned about both milk supply and making sure she's not getting our daughter sick. I think they're gonna try taking her off CPAP in the next day or so we are excited to get to see more of her little face :unsmith:

oh that is exciting news, is weaning CPAP the last step before she can breathe independently? hope she keeps making good progress :unsmith:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Good news, my wife finally had a scan (I couldn't go this time) and he is apparently just a slightly small baby, though the nurse was surprised that the midwife also didn't take the time to talk to us about him being breeched, which we both could tell anyway. She's secretly delighted for the confirmation though, she's been obsessed with the idea of a caesarian for years, in a morbid blood and guts kind of way :sweatdrop:

We are at 36 weeks as of today

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You never know, the lil dude could just decide to flip himself! But also probably not.

I remember during my wife's c-section I was watching them pull the guy out and the anesthesiologist was saying "Hey look they're pulling him out by the feet! Usually it doesn't go like that" and I was thinking "Ok yeah great thanks for that, I think I figured that part out already"

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Also breech doesn't always mean c-section. Not going to advocate for vaginal breech because it's unsafe, but external versions work in the majority of cases, especially with pain management (I know two people who were not offered pain medication for theirs - I don't know why this was the case but it's not what I would consent to). They basically grab the fetus by the head and butt and spin baby right round, baby right round.

C-section aren't the end of the world, but as someone with long term nerve damage from one I would have preferred to avoid it if at all possible. Also if you want more kids in the future, having had a prior C-section limits your options for induction and makes the whole thing less likely to work out (see: my second C-section).

Again, they're not the end of the world, the best outcome is that everyone lives to leave the hospital, but if you can get out of major surgery with a minor procedure then you definitely should! External versions do actually work!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wife announced formal plans for baby #2 this morning

No actual progress, just... Apparently this is a thing she's decided to do

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Nine days in with our whopper newborn and while a combo of nipple shields, pumping and formula are helping with the feeding our large infant son keeps getting trapped wind.

I'm wondering if there are times we're interpreting as him being hungry where he's actually just uncomfortable because of gas and getting confused? Normally I'll put a knuckle or a finger to his mouth and if he sucks we'll assume he wants a feed but I'm wondering if that's just happening on reflex - but then he pretty much always takes a bottle or tries to latch on to a breast if he's offered.

Also, despite not being the birthing parent I seem to be getting sympathetic baby blues. On a rational level I can see how it entirely makes sense that such a massive life change combined with sleep deprivation and a pretty traumatic birth experience would take an emotional toll, but man, I hadn't anticipated finding myself getting weepy quite so often or pretty much entirely losing my ability to concentrate on anything beyond Traitors on TV. My wife is being so amazing and I feel like we're making a conscious effort to emotionally check in with each other, which really helps, and I want to be able to support her effectively (which she tells me I am), I'm just a bit worried about going back to work at the end of next week (though luckily I'm a remote worker with a very understanding/compassionate manager).

Not really sure what I'm asking for here, just felt like I needed to get my thoughts out there .

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

How long is it since baby #1? My wife has already said she definitely wants to do it again (in spite of difficult labour, caesarean etc), I think we'll definitely be giving it a couple of years though!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're at uh, 3.25 years. I think we gave it the old college try around October but my wife hates her job now and maternity leave is looking not terrible. Not that I'm complaining. Was looking for 3-4 so 2 is better than 1

Owlkill posted:

Nine days in with our whopper newborn and while a combo of nipple shields, pumping and formula are helping with the feeding our large infant son keeps getting trapped wind.

I'm wondering if there are times we're interpreting as him being hungry where he's actually just uncomfortable because of gas and getting confused? Normally I'll put a knuckle or a finger to his mouth and if he sucks we'll assume he wants a feed but I'm wondering if that's just happening on reflex - but then he pretty much always takes a bottle or tries to latch on to a breast if he's offered.

Maybe double check with the local hospital phone nurse baby hotline, or if you're well equipped the lactation consultant but you might need to do formula supplement. If that's not the case maybe just give them a pacifier. Babies are programmed to be angry without a nipple in their mouth. Will need to experiment to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Hadlock posted:

We're at uh, 3.25 years. I think we gave it the old college try around October but my wife hates her job now and maternity leave is looking not terrible. Not that I'm complaining. Was looking for 3-4 so 2 is better than 1

Going to keep trying until you get one that will call you dad, eh?