Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My wife's family has a history of blighted ovum so she has been booked in for an early ultrasound this Friday, which will put her at 6.5 weeks.

This is our first pregnancy, but the wiki article on the issue mentions that an ultrasound cannot detect a blighted ovum, so it sounds like it's a pointless exercise?

I was under the impression that at this stage they need to be looking for a (faint) heartbeat, is that also something they will attempt during the ultrasound?

I just re-read it and I was wrong, oops :o:

Low Percent Lunge fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Wife's at 6 weeks and her doctor has told her to avoid intercourse until she's at 12 weeks. This is odd advice right?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Sorry, 6 weeks pregnant

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Yes, that is odd advice, Whitey, for a typical pregnancy. Was she bleeding or having some sort of issue? If she's not at risk for miscarriage, I don't see why you'd have to wait to have sex.
She has a family history of blighted ovum so she had an intervaginal ultrasound last Friday (5.5 weeks) that confirmed the egg sac is embedded in her uterus.

No history of miscarriage or bleeding.

Edit: Her sister obviously has the same family history and was not told the same thing through either of her pregnancies.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Juanito posted:

Wife had a second ultrasound today. 8 weeks along, and we got to see a heartbeat.

So awesome. :)
My wife is at 8 weeks too.. have you told anyone?

Only her sister knows, we're planning on telling our mothers on Mother's Day (8th May here). Not telling anyone is killing me.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My wife is 11 weeks today. Yesterday she had a ultrasound and it looked like the fetus was a hamster running in a wheel. I kinda expected it to be almost still and not much more, but there was a constant flurry of pumping arms and legs :psyduck:

We had a second scan about 15 minutes later (they forgot to print a copy for us to keep the first time) and it was completely still this time, apart from the heartbeat.

Our obstetrician was overwhelmingly positive and basically said everything was perfect so we're looking forward to telling our mothers in a week on mother's day. It's the first grandchild and great grandchild on my side.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My wife is now at 20 weeks and in her own words, it has been "easy" so far. She's barely showing a tummy, we had the big US and our baby is bang on the development size for her gestational age. Mum to be has not had any negative symptoms from the pregnancy and in the last week I have been able to feel the baby moving about.

I couldn't be happier, having a baby girl is about all I can think about most days.

Oh and everyone is giving us poo poo for finding out the sex prior to birth.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Yeah, my pregnancy was pretty uneventful except for some major foot/ankle swelling near the end and some heartburn I kept in check by chewing lots of gum. I didn't even have morning sickness. It was only when I missed my due date and my blood pressure went up did things get hairy.
Yes my wife has had no morning sickness either.

I still can't get over how crazy our reproductive cycle is, and I probably never will.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

TheSpiritFox posted:

Words of wisdom for a 27 year old soon to be father? Book recommendations? I'm going to start reading through the thread but anything that seems like it should be thrown at me is welcome.
I'm about the same age and it took is 3 cycles of "trying" before we conceived.

At first I was excited, but 12 weeks before you can tell anyone seems to take forever. Then there is a weird period where your partners body changes rapidly, but the situation doesn't. This leads up to high anticipation for 20 weeks for the next big scan where you can find out the sex.

That's when it got REAL for me. At around 22 weeks you will be able to feel kicks and movements from the outside.

It was at this point I started to get jealous that my wife got to bond with our unborn child all day while I have to wait for the birth.

Lots of people recommend "save our sleep" book, but that might be a controversial recommendation because the author believes that happy parents will result in happy kids, rather than letting kids dictate their parents behaviour.

Oh and "eating for two" is not required. A pregnant woman needs to consume an average of 300 calories more per day than her regular diet. That's like a glass of milk.

Your partner probably feels like sleeping for two though.

This thread is very mother centric but there are fathers who lurk and it's a great resource of intelligent discussion from the mother's perspective, compared to dedicated pregnancy websites.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Eglamore posted:

Hey thread, we had our baby this morning, and it does not have a mustache. Or really, eyebrows at all.

He rules. It's awesome.
Congratulations, everything went well?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

We've got a shitload of clothes courtesy of 3 cousins who were gifted summer clothes when they were all born at the start of winter. All new, never worn (not that it would bother us).

My wife also is wearing her sisters and our friends maternity gear.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My wife was obeying all the food rules for about 6 months then just decided it was all nonsense and now eats whatever she likes, soft cheese, shellfish, deli meats, cured meat, raw fish etc. No alcohol though.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

yawnie posted:

Oh my god.

My wife is actually due today, I think I am going to cry when our daughter is born

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

At the hospital and my wife has fallen asleep during labour.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Oh my god.

My wife is actually due today, I think I am going to cry when our daughter is born
So I didn't end up crying when she was born, but maybe had a quiet tear watching my wife bonding with her.

Jessica was born 10pm on the 29th of November, 7lb 11oz

Thanks for being a great resource and group of people.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

netally posted:

I am slightly confused about birth plans. If you're not in the medical profession, how exactly do you go about writing one?
Precisely! It's like asking an aircraft passenger how the plane should be flown. Perhaps the pilot is a better person to make those decisions.

Basically it took us until nearly full term to realise that a 'birth plan' is actually code for 'research things so you're not clueless about childbirth'.

Incidentally, the only thing we requested was to have the placenta pulse out, but our OBGYN chose not to allow this to happen as he delivered our daughter for her safety. That's why we paid him all that money, he's the expert.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

me your dad posted:

Our girl is huge - 11 lbs, 5.4oz. She was delivered at 10pm via C-section after 12 hours of unproductive labor.
My god that's big, I think some countries would pre-book c-section on a child with such a large birthweight.

About the confidence thing, one dad to another, fake it. Act like it's nothing, remember that it's your baby's first time to so they don't know any better. Handle your child confidentially and firmly, make your moves deliberate. The baby will respond to this. The midwives thought our newborn was our second because of how confident we appeared, despite being a bundle of nerves internally.

Also watching a child go through vaginal birth (yours or in a video) you realise that newborns are HARDCORE and withstand pretty much anything so don't think they are fragile in any way.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

My midwife hasn't even told me what 'size' my baby is measuring. She just keeps saying "Yep, normal!" "Everything is where it should be!" I've only gained about 12 pounds and I'm at 36 weeks now so I can't help but wonder if the baby is small? I haven't had an ultrasound since 18weeks for the quad testing.
My wife gained 15 pounds over the 41 weeks and our daughter was 7lb 11oz.

Our daughter is just over 3 weeks old and my wife is now almost 5lb lighter than she was when she fell pregnant.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Your doctor sounds really weird. I took my newborn to babies r us for a boppy when he was a day old. I took my second newborn to the mall when he was a week old. We had family and friends over the day after I had my third newborn. None of them got sick. Avoiding the world is really crazymaking. Just do normal good hygiene things like wash your hands a lot.
Ugh I agree completely. We went out to lunch straight from the hospital 24hrs after our daughter was born and then did some shopping (unseasonably cold summer here, no small warm clothes!).

One friend said she didn't leave the house for 3 months after a regular birth! A couple in our prenatal class asked when it was safe to leave the house and the midwife was incredulous at the notion of staying at home.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Mangue posted:

This is actually very reassuring. My OB said he wouldn't even start to worry about the baby's position until I went into labor and it's nice to know that the baby can turn even then. Still, hope she decides to turn well before then!
I know it's not the same but our daughter was posterior facing until mid-labour when she rolled over to anterior and her head engaged in a single fluid motion.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Sex is supposed to help because sperm has prostaglandin in it, which can help ripen the cervix.
The hospital joked that the amount of prostaglandin in a human ejaculation is so little that it would not have any effect, so they kept elephants on hand in order to deliver a larger... load

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My little girl is now 7 weeks old

She's been so easy, we're already planning our second. She now only gets up to feed once during the night, she will feed from the boob or bottle, hot or cold, without any fuss. She self burps and always seems to be happy.

She's come out on the boat twice now, we made sure she had a whistle, for safety

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Lyz posted:

(And Whitey, where'd you get that life vest? I think they'll have a boat down in Florida and I'd love to take the little man out on it.)
From here;
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=18270&intAbsolutePage=1

But I am in Australia so that link is likely useless to you.

It's for 3-10kg (6lb 10oz - 22lb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Anyone have any secret burping techniques for newborns? I cannot seem to get her to burp after feeding. I finally give up, put her down, then 30 minutes later she's in a fit from gas.
I sit on the couch, put her across my knees (legs hanging off the right, head hanging off the left) and gently pat her back. Usually gets a burp out of her within about 30 seconds.

Of course my daughter's a bit of a self burper and often burps on the boob, so your mileage may vary.