Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

This just popped into my head, but after birth, and before you leave the hospital, make sure you get a piece of paper with these two numbers on it:

24 hour nurse hotline
pediatrician's office

And then call both of them to make sure they work as expected. I think in general every hospital has a nurse hotline you can call, if you can get a human on the phone at the hospital, then they can transfer you to the correct line/person, but the first time your kid gets sick at 3am and you/your wife is panicky it's nice to have the number taped to the fridge ready to go

Chances are, they will tell you to dose tylenol and wait an hour, but it's really nice in those first three sleep deprived weeks to hear from an authority that you probably don't need to go to the ER

Great advice!

fyallm fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Baby is due at the end of next February and just got my diaper bag and looking at all the cool stuff out there.. Looking at the Nuna MIXX Next + PIPA™ RX Travel System and all the other stuff out there.

Any thoughts on this baby brezza bottle washer ? Seems expensive but I keep hearing all the horror stories of bottle washing

https://babybrezza.com/products/bottle-washer-pro

fyallm fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 27, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

A friend got me a Baby Brezza sterilizer. It looks like it holds about the same number of bottles as that washer. Here's what I'd say:

• It's not too bad to load with just bottles, except the square Hegen bottles hang weirdly
  • Loading anything except bottles (e.g. breast pump components) is a pain in the rear end because it's actually super cramped inside and you can't really put anything in the top rack except nipples.
  • It's finicky about how much water you put in. If you don't pour in enough, it'll get halfway through the process and then stop to yell at you.
  • It takes up a shitload of space on the counter

We use it occasionally. For actual day to day washing, we just toss the bottles into a steel bowl in the sink and then once or twice a day go in and wash them all by hand. A $2 bottle brush and hot water is all you need for the bottles themselves. For everything else, I use half a dish sponge (the smaller size makes it more versatile) that I dedicate to bottles, plus a smaller brush for getting inside the nipple tips.

IMO spend the money on a good breast pump instead.

edit: just saw your edit, we have a Nuna Pipa + Triv system and like them a lot. You really need to get your hands on these things to decide if you like them. At least around here (SF bay area), Nordstrom carries a lot of Nuna.

Thank you for this info, i think we are going with a mom cozy for breastpump.. (i think thats hpw you spell it but hesrd great things)

Also, the nuna we tried out in person at a pottery barn and really liked it!

Edit: thansk for the info, it only held 4 bottles but good to hear some of you thought it was worth it and this new one i cluses washing and sterlizling amd drying

fyallm fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 27, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I guess if it also washed the bottles we'd probably use it a lot more.

My wife tried the MomCozy S12, didn't like it, returned it. I think she found it was kind of a hassle to get them on properly and keep them there. I always felt like they were going to leak.

We've had good luck with a Spectra S1 and a Pumpables Genie. They're both basically the same technology, just with slightly different cup designs.. and I'm actually pretty sure you could plug the Spectra cup/bottle assembly into the Pumpables pump and vice versa.

Thank you for that, will add them to the list 🤗

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Toured a Primerose on Monday... $1,400 a month. No cameras anywhere in the building (would be nice for me to know people are being held accountable and can replay if needed). And she pointed out their low child-to-adult ratio, and then I counted the kids thru the glass doors during our tour, and 3 rooms were over the ratio...

Then I asked about the cleaning of rooms and such, and they have different shoes for different rooms, and then not even 30 seconds someone walked past us wearing shoes from outside into the room... So I was like uhh it all sounds good but I dunno about this..

Also online it talked about how they teach sign language and all this other stuff and they didn't mention any of that..

Going to check out a Goddard school and another one tomorrow. Hopefully I get a better feeling from those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What my wife did was go online and check the violation and complaint citations for each daycare on the state website.

Oh this is a great idea, I need to see if I can find it for my state, thank you for this. I found where I can file a compliant but not see where I can find it.

We checked out Goddard and Prescolaire and I couldn't really see the benefit of the extra 600 a month for Prescolaire, but we really liked Goddard.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 12, 2023