Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Urgh. So I'm 8 weeks today, and dying under god-awful morning sickness. The only thing that's keeping me from taking up permanent residence on the bathroom floor is zofran, which knocks my nausea down from 'crippling' to merely 'constant and grinding'. This is still not ideal, though, given I'm basically non-functional at work. I heard there's some new drug out that's specifically for morning sickness-- has anyone tried it? Do you know if it's more effective than zofran?

I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow, so I'm trying to gather data of things to bring up. I really don't want things to keep grinding on this way for another 4-6 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Thanks guys, it was the Diglegis that I was thinking of. I'll ask him about that-- it's worth whatever I have to pay if it lets me keep working. I'm the main income provider, so for me to be down and out is a really big problem. We've got everything sorted for by the time the baby comes, but me being sick this early was definitely not in the plan.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Just got done with my appointment, and there's a wiggly 8 week old bean in there-- so that's good! In less good news, apparently I have really low blood pressure which is what's making the nausea so much worse. My doctor said I could have diglegis if I wanted, but it's a lot cheaper to just do unisom + B6-- and that if zofran wasn't working, it probably wouldn't help either. So I have some suppository or another whose name I can't recall, which should make a difference. In the meantime, I have to eat as much salty crap and gatorade as I can stomach. Here's hoping!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

This is definitely not true. I needed both meds in my case, but either one by itself wasn't enough. Twice I decided that the unisom/B6 combo wasn't helping and stopped taking it. I was wrong both times and got quite sick each time until I could get both meds back in my system. That certainly doesn't fit with the idea that they each would just have the same effect. And like I mentioned before, many women find that unisom/B6 helps a lot more with nausea than Zofran does.

Is the suppository Phenergan (promethazine)? I use that one to deal with nausea from my migraines and it works well for me. I tried it a couple of times during the pregnancy and found it to be pretty similar to the unisom/B6 in effectiveness. It will definitely make you sleepy.

Yeah, it's phenergan. I'm not sure how well it works yet, but we'll see. He was pretty focused on bringing my blood pressure up over 90/60, since that should bring me some serious relief apparently and shouldn't require drugs. He definitely said I could try the B6/unisom if I wanted, but if the problem is the low blood pressure making it worse then it's better to treat that rather than throwing more anti-nausea drugs at me. It's still a thing in the bag we can go to if this doesn't help, though.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

jota23 posted:

If you are having a hard time keeping liquids down, try eating ice chips (made of water, gatorade or otherwise). I found that the ice form convinced my stomach I was eating while getting the fluid intake I needed without throwing up.

Holy... holy crap. If I'd known shoving stuff in my butt could have made me feel this good, I'd have done it a long time ago! Seriously, it's like night and day with the phenergan. I pretty much feel like a normal human who can eat and drink and brush my teeth and not want to die at every moment of the day. I did spend most of the morning asleep, but I'll take that over being sick any day of the week.

... I'm actually freaked out a little bit now, because I feel so much better. Even though I saw a perfectly healthy baby yesterday! Phenergan is apparently class C, though not linked to any defects that I could find. I just can't win!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We saw it! We saw our wiggly baby at the 12-week screen on Friday! The way she was jamming around in there made me a little surprised that I couldn't feel it. It seems like I should feel a headbutt like that, you know? Based on the ultrasound tech's experience and the left-side placenta, we're pretty sure it's a girl. Guess we'll know for sure in a couple weeks?

I had a question for you guys, though. We know conception / ovulation date pretty exactly, and measured spot-on to date at the 6 and 8 week ultrasound. This time, we measured 13w1 instead of 12w3. Am I doomed to have a big monster baby? I wasn't super big but my brother was, and my husband was big but his mom had diabetes so I don't know that it counts. I'm losing weight still with morning sickness, so I don't think it's due to my diet?

I'm doomed, aren't I.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

That's awesome, Kegslayer. Hi five for 12-week baby scans!

It really was amazing when they did the entire organ checklist. Not only that the baby that was a 6-mm blob 6 weeks ago HAS all those things, but that somehow we can see them without hurting her.

Thanks for the reassurance about size. I'm not sure I can stop myself freaking out about it, but I'll try. It's just that my husband's head is so BIG! It's terrifying to look at. I have weird new sympathy for his mom.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Goobish: some batches of those tests do give terrible evap lines. But they also detect positives crazy early too. Best thing to do is just keep testing the same time every day. I ended up buying a FRER after a bunch of days of 'maybe' positives, just to confirm without a doubt.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Ginger is ineffective for me, but mint helps. Especially double mint gum! I've also discovered that tums can help cut the nausea a little, even when it doesn't feel like heartburn.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

It takes off maybe 5% of my nausea. Not enough on its own, or even that helpful on a bad day, but it can take the edge off if I'm also taking my Zofran and eating correctly etc., etc..

Of course, I'm vomiting worse now at 15 weeks than I ever did in the first trimester, so it's possible that I am broken and my advice is terrible.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Welp. Sudden and severe vomiting has put me in the ER. Whoever said the second trimester was supposed to be better was a goddamn liar!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Holy... holy poo poo you guys. Diclegis. Without it I'm vomiting everything up (at 18 weeks, too, joy) and zofran only sort of sometimes stops the puking while making me still feel miserable.

Diclegis makes me a normal human. My doctor pooh-poohed it forever but finally gave in a few weeks ago and gave me some samples. I was taking just the lowest dose starting at week 16 (after I'd been in the ER for uncontrollable puking). My vomiting totally went away, but I was convinced that was due to time + traveling to my mom's house. Nope. The Diclegis ran out and my vomiting immediately returned 100%. I went back on it, and it all stopped.

Tell your friends. B6 + unisom is some sort of goddamn miracle drug.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

kaishek posted:

Any tips on dealing with nausea? Wife is having pretty bad symptoms, although she can still eat and drink in short intervals. Trying candied ginger, lemon drops, sea-sickness wristbands, and a bit of Emetrol.

Diclegis. Diclegis. Diclegis. None of the 'dietary' stuff ever worked consistently for me, and I progressed from bad nausea to crazy go nuts vomiting at all hours of the day. I have to have at LEAST 20mg of Diclegis (B6/unisom) to even consider food, 50mg if I want to be able to eat and enjoy red meat.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also along these lines-- I've run a super informal poll on one of those crazy birthing websites, and I'm actually getting really interesting information. It looks like there may be a correlation between moderate/severe morning sickness, B6/diclegis, and an MTHFR mutation. Maybe? Out of the 10 people who had bad morning sickness and got better with megadoses of B6, 9 of them have a known MTHFR mutation. I'm hoping I get another 10-20 people responding at least, to see if the correlation holds.

I can link the poll it if people are interested, though I don't exactly know the rules on linking to that sort of thing off-site?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

annaconda posted:

Re: visitors post partum: We came home on a Friday night, and told everyone we didn't want visitors at all on the Saturday. On Sunday, EVERYONE came, which was pretty crazy, but then they all sort of had their fill and just trickled in over the next few weeks.

I was all hopped up on hormones for the first couple of weeks and didn't mind having visitors - since I am breastfeeding, it was really easy to say "OK baby needs to feed now!" and take him back/away from everyone, and if he was asleep they all tiptoed around and let him sleep.

Now that he is 9 weeks old I am way less inclined to have visitors. My boyfriend's mum in particular has become much more comfortable with our baby, to the point where she will pick him up while he's trying to sleep and wake him, or not hand him over when he is giving early hungry signs. She also keeps insisting he has "a pain in his tummy" and giving me this look like I am failing somehow by not magically making him fart the drat fart out.... maybe it's me with the problem here! Regardless I was fine with people to start with, now I wish they would be more considerate.

ETA: I am working on finding a way to get the message across so it actually penetrates. Saying "He's trying to sleep now, so I want to leave him in his bouncer. If he doesn't sleep during the day he has a really ratty night" wasn't clear enough?

"If you pick up my baby one more goddamn time while he is sleeping so help me I will drown you in the river."

Too much? I am having hormones so it's hard to tell.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Has anyone had an IUD both before and after giving birth that can talk about the comparison? I had a paragard before we decided to get pregnant, and while I liked it I always had pretty bad cramping due to a little uterus. Your uterus is bigger after giving birth though, so I'm curious if I'll not have the cramping issue? Anyone have any experience with the comparison? I have 10 weeks left to decide if I want another one put back in right away!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

35 weeks today. Is it early for my baby to have started dropping? In the last day or two I've really felt her head grinding against my bladder when I walk (which I've been spared thus far due to carrying super high and a long torso). I'm not sure if it's just because she's getting bigger or if my body is legit getting close or what.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

apathetic JAP posted:

Yes. Research is finding that it's pretty important, though they're not exactly sure why. From WebMD:

Researchers found that infants born to mothers with higher blood levels of the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) at delivery had advanced levels of attention spans well into their second year of life. During the first six months of life, these infants were two months ahead of those babies whose mothers had lower DHA levels.

Attention is considered an important, but not the only, component of intelligence early in life, lead researcher John Colombo, PhD, tells WebMD.

"This adds to the mounting evidence that DHA plays an important part in brain development," he says.

DHA is important for the developing brain, which accumulates large amounts of it during the first two years of life. Compared to the rest of the body, the brain and nervous system contains very high levels of DHA but its exact role in the brain is not fully known.

In any case, it certainly can't hurt.

I think you get way more DHA / omega3 from fish oil than you do from any prenatal, FYI. I know my vitamins have 1/10th the amount that is in a single one of my fish oil capsules.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I'm using a combo cocoa butter / Shea butter bar from lush. No stretch marks so far, but I'm only 37 weeks. It does keep me from being as itchy on the belly as I see a lot of my fellow third-trimesters seem to be, though. I very rarely have any itchiness on my belly, and no dryness at all. I can never remember the exact name of the bar, but it's called like 'king of butter' or something. Two seconds of swiping it on at the end of my shower and I'm all set.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We also have a tiny baby! Adara was born on Memorial Day at 7 lb 5 ounces and is basically a champ at everything. So far we're nursing great after a couple initial latch issues, and making tons of wet diapers.

I do have a question, though. Part of the latch issue where she started mauling my nipple is that she reaches a point where she doesn't want milk, she just wants to comfort of sucking-- so she chomps down on the end of it to stop the flow and sucks. Painful! I asked the LC about introducing a pacifier to help her get to sleep with this sucking thing since she screams bloody murder without it, and she was afraid I might tank my supply and recommended waiting until we'd regain birthweight?

What do the goons think? Alternate suggestions? A nurse proposed using a finger instead, but I'm not sure I see the difference between a pacifier for 5 minutes or a finger for 5 minutes. Literally nothing else calms her enough to sleep but sucking, and I'm really not willing to sacrifice my nipples to the cause.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

skeetied posted:

I agree that you should wait until your baby regains her birth weight if not until three to four weeks old. The reason a finger is considered different than a pacifier is that the bone and the fingernail in it have a completely different sensation to them than a nipple or artificial nipple (like on a bottle or a pacifier). It's not nearly as likely to impact your daughter's latch, whereas an artificial nipple can actually change it in a negative way. It's still the best to comfort nurse at the breast but I definitely get the clamping down thing. My newborn likes to look around while latched on. :/

Her latch is getting a lot less violent now that I've got some serious milk in (so she doesn't drown herself, hah!) so it's becoming less of an issue at least. She also doesn't seem to want to spend as much time sucking (see aforementioned milk-drowning) and is falling asleep faster. Hopefully we don't regress, though. I really like my nipples un-scabby.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. It really helps to have something definite for me to latch onto when it's 3am and she's crying and I just want to sleep!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

The pinky finger is awesome!
For another perspective, we waited too long to introduce a pacifier because "OMG latch issues!" The result was a baby that point blank refused anything vaguely nippleshaped that wasn't an actual nipple. It's awesome to be pacifier-free now that she's 11 months, but there were some horrible months where my boobs were the pacifier when she wasn't actually hungry, but just wanted something to suckle while she fell asleep. Not making that mistake again!

But nursing IS awful for the first couple of weeks, then your nipples toughen up and it's (unless there are other issues) a breeze.

We're back over birth weight so I've tried a couple times in the middle of the night when my nipple can't take it anymore... and she sucks for two minutes then spits it out. Welp. She'll suck on my finger for longer than that.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My most appreciated thing was DVDs/video games that a friend brought by. Really easy, brainless stuff because man newborns don't do much but you're so tired! It was nice to have lightweight activities to pass the time with while feeding on the couch.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Funhilde posted:

Posting in this thread again. Only about 5/6 weeks along but feeling some serious nerves. I don't know that I'll be comfortable until after I pass the point that we were the last time I was pregnant and miscarried. Anyone have any calming suggestions?

Any food stuffs you really loved eating in your first trimester? Any exercise routines that were good/helpful?

Congratulations and good luck!

I was pretty sick, but when I wasn't sick I craved eggs all the time... especially farm-fresh ones. The yolk is good for building brains!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Sorry to say, friends, but I'm two months post-partum and still really sensitive to a lot of smells. Thankfully the nausea that used to accompany it went away, but they still gross me out and make me leave the room.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Congratulations dude!

I can't believe my tiny baby is three months old now. Just this time last year I was enjoying my last PAX as a free woman. Crazy how much things change in a year!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Vitafusion gummies! Small, taste good, and my nails are hard like steel since I've been taking them. As someone who's always had kind of lame fingernails even when taking multivitamins, this is exciting to me.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The first two weeks were definitely the hardest. I did not end up with PPD, but I still randomly burst into tears at the slightest (or weirdest) thing. For a while I think I was mourning my pregnancy, which is super weird seeing as I was sick and miserable the whole time. After about two weeks though, I adjusted to having an outside baby instead of an inside baby, and we'd started to learn each other and how to make her happy.

It totally gets better! Mine is three months old now, and sometimes we sleep for 5-6 hour stretches!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Useful diagnostic tool in the baby-or-gas question: lay down flat on your back and put something light and rigid on your belly (like the TV remote). If it moves in a way you can't account for with breathing, then it's baby!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Funhilde posted:

Alright I will try this !

Omg it totally worked. My husband saw it too- a great big push up. Thanks so much for that tip.

Ahaha awesome! That was the only way I could prove to my husband that the baby was moving around, because until well into the third trimester she would stop what she was doing if he came anywhere near with a hand. It was actually pretty funny.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I did it. I had a short labor (6 hours of contractions) so take my experience with a grain of salt: I didn't feel like it was that bad. I've broken my leg, and that was worse. I had a doula, though, and did three classes with her to prep, so I felt like I had a lot of techniques ready. I really liked being free to move around, and to get up two minutes after giving birth. All the pain really did disappear the second she was out of me.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Same, we had the best of intentions about using the crib, but it's just full of clean laundry. I work long hours, so the night + morning of baby cuddles helps get me through the day.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I took the birth class that my doula offered. It was three sessions and covered labor, birth, and life with a newborn while recovering. I found it really useful, especially at getting my husband and I on the same page. It prepared us for what was likely to happen (we were in the hospital) and what sorts of things we could ask for. I definitely would recommend it. By the time labor actually rolled around (exactly one week after our last class), we felt like old pros even though this was our first baby.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

kimcicle posted:

My wife gave birth to our son on the 14th and things have been going pretty well. However, the pain she experiences from the stitches after the delivery has been increasing despite the fact she's on prescription medication; she likens it to menstrual cramping. The amount of blood in the pads is not increasing, so her OBGYN told her to rest more and make sure she's taking her medication. Does this happen often?

C-section stitches or perenium-area tear stitches? My tear hurt worst a few days to a week later, while everything was healing. I guess it is normal? She should check for weird smells or discharge (heh) just in case infection, but yeah. Ice, ice, ice. It'll get better!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Post-partums who breastfed: when your period came back, was it regular right away or did it take some time to stabilize? Were your cycles the same length as before you were pregnant?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

There was an outbreak of listeria on fruit while I was pregnant (I think from Trader Joes). You can make yourself crazy trying to follow all the possible latest infection vectors. Decide on a probability you are comfortable with, and then live your life. Your fetus is in way more danger every time you get in a car than every time you sit down to lunch.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I had mine in six hours start to finish, 30 minutes of pushing and no drugs. I had a weird labial tear but I didn't even notice. The worst pain was when the doctor was stitching it back up because she mis-placed the Novocain shot. You guys can do it! Don't fear the labor! It can go sideways, but chances are good that it won't.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I lost 10lbs from HG by the time I hit the second trimester, and my baby ended up a perfectly average, healthy 7lb 5oz. I had good luck with diclegis from the second onward, which is pretty darn safe as far drugs go. Hopefully your wife feels better soon!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I tried to get on a plane at ~7 weeks to go visit a friend in New York and it was completely unmanageable for me due to crazy nausea even though I'd felt perfectly fine up until 5 weeks. Sometimes pregnancy makes you hella sick. Hopefully not for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I ended up letting my doctor do just one, at 38 weeks, because I wanted to see if my feeling of having a baby about to drop out of me matched up to the reality of what my cervix was doing.

It did. My doctor said I wouldn't last until the next week's appointment, and drat if he wasn't right.

Go with your gut! I declined at 37 weeks when he first offered.