Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

foxatee posted:

Edit: wanted to mention http://babyli.st/ which is a pretty neat registry that allows you to add from any store. Best of all, it is free. :eng101:

Amazon lets you add items from other websites as well. They even have an add-on for Firefox that will add the item to your registry when you click it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Longpig posted:

MoCookies, I'm in Montreal and I'm taking 50 weeks through QPIP and my husband is taking 5, plus a week or so that will be paid through his work.

Also, depending on what you do for a living, the Quebec government (the CSST) may pay you 90% of your salary to not work, so ask your doctor about a "Preventive Withdrawal and Reassignment Certificate for a Pregnant or Breast-feeding Worker". If your Dr. feels that your job carries any risk for your baby they will fill this out and have another Dr. consult and sign off on it... Then you send it off to the CSST, and your employer has to either adjust/reduce your tasks (with no penalty in pay) for the remainder of your pregnancy, or you get put on paid preventive withdrawal. Quebec may be annoying in some ways but it is a great place to have a baby.

Speaking of CSST, do they send their checks monthly or bi-weekly? I received mine yesterday and it said it was for February 26 to March 10. My work paid me for the 3 weeks before that so I wasn't sure if that check was just filling out the rest of that month.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Sometimes your band size will increase at the end due to your ribcage expanding. If your cup size is still good you can buy a package of band extenders for about $5.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Is she even going to have time to pump at work? If the dean is demanding she be back that quickly, I'm wondering how much they'll accommodate her pumping needs. The issue is more than the time she'd need to pump, but where she could pump and how she could store the breastmilk. It's something she seriously needs to look into if she wants to keep her supply up.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I failed my 1 hour test, but instead of a 3 hour test they gave me one of the blood sugar monitors and had me test my blood sugar over a week to give them a better idea of my blood sugar levels (which wound up normal). According to the tech, half the women who fail the 1 hour test wind up with normal results. I would take my prenatal with breakfast and it didn't affect my results.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Brennanite posted:

Singin' the heartburn blues over here. I've passed the Tums and cruised on to Tagamet. I've found no correlation to diet, so I'm assuming this is mechanical. Are there any tips you ladies have? I'm only 25 weeks, the thought of doing this for another three months is depressing.

Is it an all-day heartburn or only at certain times? If it's at night, you could try elevating the head end of your mattress a few inches. I'm not positive, but I think they sell little foam wedges for this. Sleeping with your head and chest elevated will help keep the acid down.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Does anyone know of a good book for expectant dads? I want to get my husband one as his first father's day gift.

We were given The Baby Owner's Manual as a gift, and my husband seems to like it. It's meant to be funny but it does have a lot of useful information.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
The risk of falling is high due to your center of gravity changing, so they will probably tell you no ladders or stepladders after a specific week. Repetitive bending and twisting is pretty bad as well.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
People have told me that you don't feel so tired once the second trimester starts, but that didn't really seem to be the case for me. Maybe it's because I had to wake up around 4am each morning. Just try to get as much sleep as you can at night, because lack of sleep feels even worse when you're pregnant. You can have a little bit of caffeine (most literature I've read says 1 or 2 cups of coffee) per day, but it's best to not rely on it.

McStabby fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 20, 2011

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I've never heard of it happening with wrists, but during pregnancy, your tendons and ligaments loosen so you're more prone to get joint pain. Do you work somewhere that is more likely to have repetitive motion injuries?

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I know based off of posts from people who did home births that midwives won't attempt a home birth if there is a risk to the mother or child. Even if the pregnancy is low-risk, they're trained to call for an ambulance as soon as something pops up during labor that could be dangerous. As long as she's been going to her appointments, has spoken to her insurance to make sure they cover a home birth, and has gone over her birth plan with the midwife, she should be fine.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Does anyone have advice for dealing with hip and back pain? I had a little bit of discomfort with my first kid, but this time it feels worse. It probably doesn't help that I have to lift a toddler several times a day. Luckily I have a little over a month to go.

Replying a little bit late to the "what to do for the new parents" question, but you can always offer to watch the baby while Mom runs small errands. Those first few outings to the grocery store for bread are a godsend (Fresh air! Interaction with adults!). If Mom doesn't feel comfortable with someone watching her child that early on, offer to run the errand for her. Small trips aren't always easy when you're messing with the car seat, timing it so your child has fully napped and hopefully won't poop, etc.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Has anyone dealt with placenta accretia/incretia? I had the poo poo luck of the placenta implanting in scar tissue from my previous cesareans, so at this point they're monitoring the placenta to make sure it doesn't invade my bladder. It's certain that I will have a partial hysterectomy (keeping the ovaries) right after the baby is delivered, and the baby will most likely be premature. I'm mainly looking for advice on how to deal with the surgery and recovery that isn't googling and convincing myself that I will bleed out on the operation table (the doctor reassured me that this won't happen because they know the incretia is there, but anxiety is a wonderful day). How does recovery from a vertical incision differ from a horizontal one? Having a premature baby is also a concern, but it's hard telling how premature she will be at this point.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

There are cases every day of women with accreta/increta/percreta with quite good results. While there is always a risk with any surgery, the likelihood of you bleeding to death is low. Your physician is correct, they know its there and they know approximately how far it is progressing. They'll be prepared to deal with it in surgery. In your case, it sounds like you're dealing with an increta, where it hasn't gone all the way through your uterus. Hopefully it doesn't become a percreta where the placenta goes through the uterus and into the pelvis where it can attach to pelvic organs like bowels and bladder, which it sounds like they're afraid of. However it also sounds like they're monitoring you closely and are prepared to move to deliver you if they see that is beginning to occur. In terms of prematurity, they're likely to let you go on as long as safely possible. Unless you're dealing with a severe percreta, they usually aim to let you go to at least 34 weeks if not until term. It sounds like you're having a hysterectomy without oophorectomy, where they take out the entire uterus but leave the ovaries. This is a surgery that is very commonly done and is generally quite safe. The real risk for bleeding with an adherent placenta comes from not knowing its there and having a vaginal birth instead of a scheduled cesarean with hysterectomy. The bleeding they usually talk about is a postpartum hemorrhage, or severe bleeding after the baby is born. However you wont have a uterus left to severely bleed. In your case, the vertical incision will take longer to heal than a low transverse incision, you'll have the staples in longer, and cosmetically it will be more apparent. That's really the main difference for you.

Thanks. Are there more post-op restrictions for a vertical incision? I'm trying to get a good idea of how long I will be restricted on activities such as lifting so I can plan out childcare/paternity leave. With a regular cesarean, it was 4 weeks.

As far as the monitoring goes, I just had an ultrasound this week and I'll have another at 24 weeks. I think they'll do an MRI around 28-30 weeks unless they have reason to suspect earlier that it is invading the bladder. Luckily, it's a university hospital about 15 minutes from my place so I'm able to get there asap if I start bleeding.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I always fall into the gray area on the 1 hour test, but my hospital has women who are borderline monitor their blood sugar for a week rather than go in for a 3 hour test. I don't know if this makes things more accurate but every time I wind up passing the week-long test. Finger sticking isn't as bad as it seems but the strips are expensive if you wind up testing positive.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Placenta update: aside from one spot that needs to be monitored (heading toward a vessel and an ovary), the rest of the placenta is staying more or less where it was when they diagnosed me with incretia. The high-risk obstetrician doesn't think I will need bladder surgery but a urologist will most likely be there anyway to be on the safe side. At this point we will see how close to 36 weeks I can get without bleeding. It was much more reassuring speaking with her and going over the process of the surgery than with the obstetrician at my last appointment who more or less panicked.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I'm a bit late to this topic, but any strangers claiming two boys are easier haven't had to break up a fight at 6am over what cartoon to play on Netflix.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Welp I'm scheduled for my c-hyst Tuesday morning. The baby will be at 34 weeks, 4 days. It's earlier than I would have preferred but they see it as the safest option. Overall, the doctors seem positive that I shouldn't lose too much blood (maybe 2-3 liters), but there's always the risk that things could go south.

At least the whole team seems pretty organized. There is an oncologist who specializes in gynecology (has worked there for 20 years and does cesareans frequently) who will be dealing with the most part of the surgery. The reasoning is that as the placenta is close to a ureter and a vessel so he would be he best equipped to handle cutting out the placenta in that region. There will also be a urologist present in case they need to do anything to my bladder.

I'll try to post when I get the chance later this week, but the reception is rather poo poo at the hospital.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

femcastra posted:

Best of luck. Sounds like you’re in good hands.

It went pretty well, the only issue was that they tried to have me awake for the delivery, but all the prep took so long that the epidural was wearing off. The subsequent epidural didn't really take so they knocked me out (which they were going to do anyways). The surgery took 4-5 hours and I lost 3 liters of blood which is about what they expected. Baby is chilling in NICU as her lungs aren't mature yet. I'm hooked to a bunch of stuff so I can't see her right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

silvergoose posted:

We decided the idea of connecting our baby monitor to anything externally accessible would result in it getting hacked and some nefarious internet predator would watch our baby sleep or something. Just got some regular non internet baby monitor with two cameras, and we're still using it.

There was a unsecured webcam thread years ago in GBS and one of them was set up in a toddler's room so you're probably right.