Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007
"It gets two squeaks, 'cuz it's the funniest one of all!!!"

Brighty2002 posted:

I am currently 35.2 weeks pregnant with di-di twins. I am currently dilated to a 2 and almost completely effaced. My doc says she wont induce until 38 weeks. ARGH! But she did agree to strip my membranes next Friday. I was just wondering how many of you this has been successful/unsuccessful for? Ive heard it works for about 50% of women. I'm also curious if its more/less/the same for twin pregnancies.

I'm also nervous its going to be painful. Is it just painful if you're not dilated or is it painful no matter what?
My doc stripped mine and it didn't hurt any more than the other internal exams she did, which I found to be quite painful every single time she did one. Stripping the membranes did nothing for me; I had a scheduled induction on my due date and I had a vaginal delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

Have any of you used nipple shields? If so, were you ever able to transition to not using them? I'm also concerned with my oversupply issues. There's no way Zoey can keep up with me but I'm scared about engorgement and blocked ducts. The LC suggested I cut back how much I'm pumping but I'm scared about developing problems if I don't properly drain my breasts. Have any of you had these issues?
Jude wouldn't latch for the first few weeks bc he was confused - he was drinking bottles of formula in the hospital due to jaundice and it really caused an issue for him. I pumped and fed him via bottle for about a week and then went to see an LC and she gave me what for me was God's gift - a nipple shield. We used it every time until he was 5 weeks old and around that time he started to seem frustrated by it on his own (I definitely was at that time) and I slowly started offering my breast without the shield during the day. For a while he could only do one boob without the shield and only in the afternoon bc they were so much bigger in the morning. Then suddenly we were off the shield entirely - I think it was around 6 and a half weeks? We have been pros ever since and he is a terrific eater and very efficient. He takes bottles when I am at work and there is no confusion whatsoever.

I also had oversupply issues bc of all of the pumping and I did block feeding - you feed on one side only for 2 or 3 feeds in a row for a day or 2 - it worked itself out on its own.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
Before that he was sputtering and coughing and pulling away and shaking his head frantically, so I knew I had to do something. I still make plenty of milk - more than double of what I need for the day for him (he only gets a bottle once or twice while I am at work bc I can feed him on my lunch break) and my freezer is full and I am now actively looking to donate.

Keep at it - it gets better, I promise.

edit: sorry, link already posted

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

So, I've had a number of people say to me that I should try to start getting my baby on a schedule. I mean, she's two weeks old.
Stop listening to anything these people say. Please.

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

That is exactly what I did. It probably helped more than if I had not done that, but they were in both in the middle of the night, and the prospect of putting him back on the starting side for a third time at that point had me beside myself. :( I am using this strategy now (especially during the day), for sure, to help keep things even and hopefully get us on track. At our last feed, just an hour ago, he nursed both sides for a reasonable amount of time and de-latched himself.

Even though Liam (nickname pending...right now Daddy is liking Starvemaster 3000) is our second, I am feeling very inept at feeding him for the moment.
I had so many days where I would cry bc I would nurse for an hour and then have to do it all over again in an hour. It hurt, and I pumped and gave bottles at times to just give myself some sanity. I WISH I could fast forward for you to 6 weeks, bc I PROMISE you it will get better. And once it does, there is nothing like it. Just keep at it.

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

So I've finally figured out how to wear Zoey in our Moby wrap and she's loving it! I can't believe that it allows me to "hold" her hands free and get other things done. I think it might save my sanity. That being said, I don't want to wear her all the time. I'm a bit curious for those of you who use wraps, how often are you wearing your baby? I know you can't "spoil" a baby but I really don't want to set the expectation that she'll constantly be held/worn by me. I also realize she's only three weeks old so I know no real habits have been established yet.
I very rarely wear Jude in the house. I wear him when we go on walks and for most errands.

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Also, Mom is able to produce great with a pump but Grayson wants nothing to do with latching, even though he will shotgun 5ML out of a bottle in 3 seconds flat and suck on your finger to no end when hungry.

Any tips? I know it's early and this is common, just trying to keep new options on the table.
KEEP TRYING. I pumped and fed with a bottle in the beginning bc of a latch issue compounded by jaundice and the nurses demanding he be overfed formula in order to poop the bili out, and with a lot of tears, help from the lactation consultants for the first 5 weeks, and nipple shields, we were finally nursing like old pros at about 6 weeks.

I will tell you though, having my overbearing parents staying at my place for 12 - 15 hours a day for the first few days after we arrived home from the hospital was no help in regards to nursing. I don't know where you are on the MIL front, but I hope she is gone and leaving you to bond as a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007

MarshallX posted:

pumping after nursing
I was advised to pump after most, if not all nursing sessions in the beginning while using the nipple shield. I pumped myself into oversupply, but that was pretty easy to regulate in a few days and now I have more milk in the freezer than I will ever need - I have even donated about 400 ounces, which is something I am really proud of. If she isn't too tired, I personally think it is a good idea to pump after nursing and I plan on doing it with my next baby, nipple shield or not.