Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If it was possible you would have already done it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mine was less than 2 hours once the iv was in.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan has no restrictions. They even served sashimi in the hospital.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It is a well-known phenomenon that babies hate cribs. Junior prefers a sloped surface with her butt low and feet high. A beanbag is her favorite sleep spot.
Or, go for a walk and let them sleep in the stroller on your porch, Swedish style.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rear end cream

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're also likely to receive clothes as presents. Shopping is fun but it's easy to overspend. I agree with 6 outfits washed often.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most baby clothes sold in the US pull over the head, which sucks with any baby who can't sit yet. I use front-snap rompers and kimono-tie undershirts the most.
US sizing is confusing too. Centimeters 4eva.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah, pretty similar! Those look even nicer because they have ankles. Mine are just open bottom like a hospital gown.
Another thing I've noticed on US baby clothes is buttons on the back of the neck. How does that make any sense for a creature laying on its back all day?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Talk with your boss, arrange it so you or someone you trust does the test. You can probably get a false name assigned to your paperwork (and hospital room) as well.

I found it helpful for my work to know early on so they wouldn't make me do strenuous stuff.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Re: twins
My brother hired an au pair for his twins. Don't worry about moving yet... or possibly move asap to a country with health insurance.

What's the deal with doulas? What do they do that the obgyn clinic doesn't? They don't exist here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm still lolling at that My Birth Plan :cry: blog.

And mourning. Mourning that I only saw Fury Road in the theatre once, not twice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg praying 4 ur nips

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hand-me-down everything :shrug: People will probably offer stuff after your pregnancy is public knowledge.

You'll also probably get diapers and outfits at the baby shower and/or after birth.

Don't overthink, don't overstock, don't overspend.

P.S. I literally use GOON diapers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Forgot the photo, and here's an article too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't worry, I'm p sure your cute pajamas would get taken off and/or destroyed.
I wore band shirts and similar ugly shorts :megadeath:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Miranda posted:

I might get to come join you guys (if the little guy sticks) but in the meantime, I couldn't find it earlier in the thread so, best pregnancy book?

Ohhh dang hey. I would advise against going nuts with new books since you already have too much baby experience. Your doctor and/or the internet can provide answers and timelines. Wait for hand-me-downs and check the library and used book stores.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 3, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woah dang I never thought of it that way :eek:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Both of my kids drank both, it's fine and normal.
Pumping while #1 was in the NICU was hell. I also found a benign lump that interfered with the pump and lemme tell yall, the time I got a mammogram while lactating is probably a favorite story for the radiology staff to gross out noobs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My bff* was on hospital bedrest for twins, but went into labor before her scheduled c-section despite the iv anti-contraction medicine. The girls were kept in the NICU for about a month until they were both big enough to take home.

*We met in the hospital XD I lasted long enough to get the iv taken out (36 weeks) but my kid was born at 36+5 and spent a week in the NICU anyway.

So... I know it's frustrating to sit and wait, but listen to the doctor's advice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I had to tell work very early on so I'd get less strenuous assignments (like dancing the hokey pokey instead of head, shoulders, knees and toes). It's a kindergarten so the office and work environment is 100% pro babby. Not everyone has to know, just immediate supervisors and anyone else involved in long-term scheduling!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^^

Tearing is about the structure of the mother, not the size of the baby. Do all these things.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My throat was sore for a few days after from all the screaming. Hope that helps and Good luck !
( ;∀;)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rondette posted:

ohhh I thought that was babbo moving around. I've been lying down and yeah, stomach goes really hard for a few moments and then soft again. it doesn't really hurt me, just feels weird. I guess that's why I assumed it was baby turning over- I thought Braxton Hicks were painful. (edit- I'm 26 weeks atm, do they come on that early?)

If your abs feel hard and tight for a while, even after you lay down, it could be signs of early labor. I found that out the hard way. A monitor test will provide an answer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Minibug like to sleep on an incline. Folded towels when she was tiny, and a beanbag since she couldn't fit in the bassinet (with a thick quilt barrier so she doesn't sink in deep.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We inherited two convertible car seats. No one uses the removable buckets here. They seem nice for those moments you don't want to wake babby up, but I think it's good for babby to stretch and change posture.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ignore all (unsolicited) advice from distant and also close relatives.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I kept a bag of little konnyaku jellies at work. Good for constipation too, maybe?!?!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Americans are told to steam or microwave deli meat. It sounds like too much to me but otoh the US has a history of serious food contamination. (Meanwhile in Japan you get tea, sashimi and raw eggs in hospital meals.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I got special (powder) detergent for cloth diapers and it didn't wash out well and the lack of softener agent left everything rough af (no dryers here, we line dry.)
Then I gave up on the detergent and cloth diapers in general and life went on.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Home washers here only have cold water, that explains half my problems! :vince:

Most garbage here gets burned, that solves the other half of my problems.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rondette posted:

I walked into town yesterday (2 miles round trip) and by the last 200 metres or so I had to bribe MYSELF with sweets to keep going, my belly and pelvis were so tight and sore I wondered whether I was actually in the early stages of labour.

This happened to me and it *was* early labor. Take a break, don't force yourself.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We all just sleep in one room and change diapers on the floor :toot: But I'm glad our new place has a room for toys away from the living room.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maternity leggings with skirt things and cardigan things.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bella Bands etc are great for post partum pudge too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

skeetied posted:

I'm breastfeeding a 2.5 yo still

Why

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I can totally understand the calorie burn ( ;∀;) Minibug quit last month and it's difficult to taper down my snacking.
Otoh it is awesome to sleep on my stomach again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Around here, ladies are usually admitted to a hospital when their nausea is that bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ Minibug always preferred an incline until very recently. We put a thick quilt on a beanbag to make it firm. It's also closer to the floor for when she rolled off...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I did hella treatments and as soon as I said gently caress This Stress and stopped going babby was formed.

(This is why stupid teenagers get knocked up easily while careful couples can't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Non obgyn docs won't do anything for pregnant women here. If you catch a cold or anything short of a car crash you have to see the obgyn first. Dentists won't use local anaesthetic. I couldn't even get my pits lasered in the one period of my life I had both free time and money :(

But you can walk into a clinic for same-day appointments and get 3d sonograms with printouts at least once a month so, still winning.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 7, 2016