Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
True, but if you've already decided to have one, I can see why having it postponed at the last minute would cause angst.

I do think that my husband learned as my first pregnancy went on, and as this one goes on, that I may not be completely rational in my emotional response to things, but that didn't mean that to me, at that moment, it wasn't completely valid. It took some work to get there, but I feel like having rational discussions after the fact when you're emotionally calmer is a really good idea. Emphasizing that I don't really have control over pregnancy hormones helped a lot, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I don't have any NICU advice, but man oh man is he gorgeous! I hope your remaining time at the hospital with him is as uneventful as possible.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Re: Packing for the hospital

You don't need maternity pads, wipes or diapers. The Hospital will provide a plethora of these - probably even a bunch for you to take home too.

This differs greatly depending on your hospital. Maybe finding out what they do provide is a good thing to do, so you know what you need and what you don't. The hospital I was at provided diapers but not wipes.

A nursing pillow might be a good idea too. My Boppy was priceless when I was in the hospital (and after).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Stairs, my husband and I have similar issues with names. I like more unique names and he likes more common ones. Our compromise so far has been old-fashioned names that are not as popular as some others.

Regarding scheduling infant feeding sessions-- when y'all are talking about schedules, you are referring to making sure the baby eats at least every couple of hours and not that you make them wait for a 2-4 hour window to be up to feed them, right? The first makes sense, but the second goes completely against recommendations from AAP, who point out that crying is a late signal of hunger, not an early one; the WHO and La Leche League. Breastmilk is metabolized pretty quickly, and remember, an infant's stomach is really small.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That's crazy, Eleanor is our top choice for a girl too, though I am pretty sure the baby's a boy.

edit: vvv :aaa:

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Stairs posted:

You know, I wanted a Lord Of The Rings based name because my husband and I met at an Oscar party that was organized around Return of the King. I never considered Elanor but it's beautiful and a name in the books! I'm putting it on my short list.

Also bamzilla aren't you due around early August? I'm August 6th.

I'm due late July/early August, personally!

edit: Bodnoirbabe, don't feel badly about doing what you need to do to make this work. I will say, though, most women who tough it out to 6 weeks breastfeeding find it gets immeasurably easier, so if you can, do it!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Well, like I said, I think I have a boy in here, so it's probably not going to happen for us. But if it does, there are so many pretty nicknames for Eleanor and I love them all!

edit: vvvv I love Esther. It's a pretty common Jewish name and comes up in my family background in a few places, but we both love Eleanor more.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 28, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My daughter's middle name is after my late aunt, and we're trying to figure out how we want to honor my husband's late grandmother with this baby's middle name. It's a tradition I have always loved.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Stairs posted:

I did that with my first daughter's middle name. Her middle name is Desiree after my favorite teacher who died two days before I found out I was pregnant (I found out the day I called her to tell her the news.) This new baby will have the middle name "Sue" because both his and my mothers are named Sue.

As for using names in our family history, unfortunately it's all names like Verbena, Geneva, Ival, Estelle, and boring ones like Jean and Debbie.

I like Estelle! It means "star." :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

chrysoula posted:

Not that they explicitly stated but I believe it has to do with the medical professionals assuming a once-a-week snapshot tells the whole story: the baby wasn't permanently engaged at 40 weeks, so never again will be. Must Extract! But we'll put it five days out so it still has a chance to escape naturally.

Or it could be that despite not maintaining continuity from week to week on my status, she remembers that trying to induce me at 35 weeks 4.5 years ago failed.

I am so getting a new doctor if I ever get pregnant again.

I just wanted to say this-- you are the woman who is giving birth in this equation, and you have rights. You really can go there and demand to be checked, and demand that you discuss induction before going straight to a c-section. You have the right to do this. And while I personally wouldn't switch providers so far along, it has happened before. I have to say, I would be royally pissed in your shoes.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I don't even think you have to melt down in histrionics! I think you could go in and say, "I want to know where I stand right now, and I want to see about not going straight to a c-section on Friday if I haven't gone into labor by then. I would like to discuss my other options."

I'm not trying to push you, it just seems like your doctor really didn't listen to your concerns, and without even checking you dismissed how you were feeling. Even if you didn't have a successful induction 4 years ago, this is a different pregnancy, a different baby, and your body is different. I'm just angry for you!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Oh man, that insurance situation sucks. I'm so sorry. And as a full time diabetic and gestationally hypertensive 33 year old, I can totally sympathize. I would also be with a midwife in a heartbeat if I could. :glomp:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Mine came back the week of my kid's first birthday, even though we were still nursing. Still, that's a pretty long stretch to go. I have friends who exclusively breastfeed and still get their periods back a month or two postpartum.

My postpartum bleeding tapered off very quickly and was just spotting for a couple of weeks. It stopped around 4 weeks, came back for a bit at 5 weeks and was totally gone by 6 weeks.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I personally wouldn't do hormonal birth control because it can affect supply and also because it took my own body a long time to get fertility back after being on oral contraceptives. I know a lot of people have great success with copper IUDs.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I never knew there was a term for that outside of "attachment parenting." I know quite a few people who "ecologically breastfeed," then. I guess I almost counted as that myself, except for the fact that I had a low supply due to breast surgery. But all supplementation took place at the breast, so idk, that might make it count or something.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

bamzilla posted:

I don't think AP is anywhere near as strict as EB.

I think there's a wide range of what fits into the umbrella term "AP" as well, but I also didn't think there was a separate name for EB, which seems like it fits under AP pretty well.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I would just keep doing the break latch via finger in corner of mouth method.

As far as FAM postpartum goes, my own experience was a lot of irregularity with regards to fertility symptoms. Basically, I had a lot of variety of symptoms on and off during the first year, and then when I got my first period back the week she turned one, that was it for another four months. Now, for us, it wasn't a big deal because we would have welcomed another pregnancy if it had happened then, but if you're trying to go for a certain spacing between your kids or no more kids at all, I would be really careful.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 2, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I had sort of the opposite experience. When I started contracting in the afternoon, I was convinced I wasn't in labor, because I was 2 weeks shy of my due date and everyone told me first babies don't come early. So I just chalked it up to intense BH or "practice" contractions until that night when I realized they were coming closer and closer together. My girl was born exactly two weeks before her due date.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Mangue posted:

The crying...Jesus the crying! My daughter is 4 weeks old today. For the last few days she has decided that nothing makes her happy except sucking. Unless she is nursing or sucking on a pacifier she is full of rage. Non-stop crying. I don't think it's pain because she manages to sleep pretty well through the night. She just...hates the world right now I guess.

Please tell me this is a phase! Please don't tell me this is a phase called colic :( She does seem to have an intolerance to cows milk protein but she has been exclusively breast fed for the last week and I have cut out milk from my own diet. I am moving on to cutting out all dairy from today on to see if that helps...

It just seems like some switch flipped and she's really unhappy now. Anyone else deal with this and what sort of things helped? I have two more weeks until I return to work and right now I can't wait. I hate to say it but the idea of someone else taking care of my daughter for 8 hours a day is so friggen awesome.

Beyond what dream said about other intolerances, keep in mind that it can take several weeks for things to get better when you cut food out of your diet. It is not an overnight thing.

Does wearing her help? It helped my daughter. In her case, it turned out that she also had mild reflux (not bad enough to be medicated, but enough to cause her pain) and pretty gnarly gas. Wearing her upright helped a lot with both, and being close to me or her dad also really helped her feel happier.

Finally, if you haven't already, check out the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block. Definitely helped us a lot, too.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

rangergirl posted:

I'm still puking fairly frequently at 16ish weeks, but I'm feeling a little better overall. I was wondering if anyone had used the seaband wrist band things with any success??

They helped a little with my all-day nausea. They ended up hurting my wrists after too long, though, so I only wore them when I had to leave the house and drive or something.

quote:

Oh god, the googling has already begun. I am trying to find out what non-caffeinated teas I can have. The internet has pretty much told me I can't drink anything. Ever.
Can anyone suggest a REPUTABLE don't-eat-or-drink-this page?

Web MD? American Pregnancy Association? Mayo Clinic?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My daughter hated taking baths alone, but when I got in the big tub and had her on a receiving blanket on my lap, she loved it. I guess she felt insecure being in water and not being held. Have you tried bathing with him? We also didn't do full on baths very often because there really isn't a huge need with an infant. Even as a toddler now and all over the place, she doesn't get baths every day or anything (actually, anymore, she just showers with me).

As far as the wet diaper thing goes, have you considered trying elimination communication (EC) with him? He might really take to it, and then there is no sitting in wetness.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
They might, they might not. It's hard to say for sure, unfortunately.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Idonie posted:

It's interesting how all the symptoms seem to be coming earlier this time; I was nauseous from weeks 8 to 30 last time, and my sense of smell went through the roof. So far the nausea is minor, but I can definitely smell everything which made walking to the park with my toddler today a little surreal.

Totally my experience this time around too. I was all-day nauseous the first time around from about 7 weeks (when my sore boobs and nausea prompted me to take a pregnancy test and I got my positive result) to 13 or so. This time, it was almost instantaneous. I got a faint positive at 6 days past ovulation and in the next few days the symptoms kicked in. Thankfully they mostly faded by 13 weeks, like last time, but the fatigue hasn't. Still, that's probably as much because of parenting a toddler as it is because of pregnancy. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My cats were great with the newborn, and have also been with my niece, who I nanny for part time. They don't sleep in the bedroom at night, though, after one decided that my hair was delicious to eat and gnawed off a couple of curls about 2" below the root. :smith:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Also, I'm curious about tummy time. When do you guys do it? For how long? How do you keep them engaged instead of getting frustrated and crying?

We didn't really do it, because Cecilia absolutely hated it. I wore her a lot, which helps build neck and upper body strength, and when she was older and was wanting to start moving on her own, she didn't mind being on her tummy anymore.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Cathis posted:

My *actual* question in all this is twofold, I guess.
One: Which trimester was the best? So far the first isn't excellent and the third kind of seems like it might suck a lot.

Two: Baby crap. When is too early to begin stockpiling baby things? Furniture or whatever. We were in Ikea the other day and I wanted to start buying things. All of the things.

Ok, maybe three: For those of you in America, how long did you work for up until delivery, and has anyone returned to work after delivery and if so, when? I know everyone is different, but I rather like my job :) I just can't go into the field now, or towards the end, or after birth for awhile I guess.

First pregnancy: really none of the trimesters were unbearable. First sucked for the symptoms, but because I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 7 or 8 weeks along and my symptoms ended around 13-14 weeks, it was short lived. Also, I had a flexible job that let me work my hours when I wanted to, and I was able to rest and stuff as needed. Second was great, and then most of third was also. I think I was about 36 or 37 weeks when I was like, "OK, DONE," and then I had my daughter at 38 weeks.

This pregnancy: First was hard. My symptoms started way earlier this time and lasted until 13 or 14 weeks again. Also, being a stay at home parent to a toddler (who has given up naps, I might add) means that I can't just stop and sleep whenever I want to, and I suspect that that has made it a lot harder. I have more fatigue this time around by far. Other than fatigue second has been fine. I'm 20 weeks now, so we'll see what happens with third trimester.

Buying stuff: If you find stuff you really really want, can you pin them to a registry? Like we did an Amazon one where you can link to stuff that's anywhere on the web, not just Amazon. Then when people ask you about what you want, you can direct them to it.

Work: I worked until the end of 37 weeks pregnant, and then I went into labor literally the first day of my maternity leave. I was going to go back to work after 12 weeks (6 paid and 6 unpaid), but decided to stay home instead. I was really really really not interested in leaving my daughter, and when we did the financials, we weren't going to be missing that much by me staying home vs. returning to work and paying for childcare. I think it was the best decision we've ever made, but of course, it's different for everyone.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, there's something called pregnancy rhinitis, which basically is you producing a lot more mucous during pregnancy (you also might notice an increase in cervical mucous). I had a hard time with it my first pregnancy, but oddly, not this time.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I think it's really dependent on the woman. I have a couple of friends who will quite literally pass out if they lay on their backs for longer than about 10 minutes while pregnant. I, on the other hand, figured out my system and it works for me-- I put my body pillow next to me, and I lay half on it and half on the bed. I'm not flat on my back, but I'm comfortably on my back for sleep. These days I mostly sleep on my side with my daughter, but I still end up in the half-back position sometimes.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I didn't want to buy a doppler, but a friend of mine sent me hers to use. From 12-ish weeks until I started to get lots of regular movement around 16 weeks, it was really a huge relief to have. But given that I only really needed it for about 4 weeks, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My OB said it's class B, so yes, it is considered safe for pregnancy, but in this case, not so much for breastfeeding:

quote:

FDA pregnancy category B. Zyrtec is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Cetirizine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use Zyrtec without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
From drugs.com

edit: vvvv Good to know. Hale is awesome.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 27, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Gender disappointment is a real thing, and in my opinion, nothing to be ashamed of. I think where you go with it is what will make or break your experience, if that makes any sense. This is one of the reasons that finding out the gender early is kind of nice, because it gives you the next few months to get yourself used to the idea of having a girl (in your case).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I have a low supply due to breast surgery 12 years ago, and what I did to keep my supply up and to increase the amount of time my daughter spent nursing was to supplement at breast with an SNS. That might be something for you to look into, too, if you are interested. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

TacoNight posted:

edit: We tried the supplemental nursing system, but I'm not sure if we were doing it wrong. Gracie quickly figured out how to do a lazy suck at the tube and get the milk flowing, so that she was latching on the nipple much worse than without the tube. We were afraid of teaching her bad nursing habits, so we stopped. What do you do to make sure she has to keep up good technique while using the SNS?

The SNS lets you stop the flow to the tube by pulling the tube against the bottle top. When my daughter was little and I was trying to make sure that my supply got as big as possible, I would latch her on with the tube, but leave the flow locked off for a good 10-15 minutes of the breastfeeding session and then only when she started to get squirmy (which was an indication that she wasn't getting milk anymore; I never felt a letdown or felt the milk end so I didn't have any other way of knowing) I would let the flow begin.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

yawnie posted:

I really feel for all of you struggling to breastfeed. For the first week of my son's life, I was SO incredibly anxious and scared, and I was certain I was doing it wrong. He was lazy and jaundiced (I think a large number of babies are) and I didn't know what hunger cues to look for, so he would get frantic and cry at the breast. He lost almost a pound in his first two days and wasn't peeing enough. I was incredibly determined to breastfeed but it just didn't seem to be working right. If it was so "natural", it should have been easier, was my thought process.

I spent a lot of time pumping, a lot of time skin-to-skin, I basically just went topless for days so that he could have constant access to the breast. I spent hours online, researching different techniques and watching latch videos (Dr Newman's stuff helped me a lot - http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/). Finally we rounded the corner. It was still about six weeks before I could feed him without incredible pain, but once we hit that 6-7 week milestone, things started rapidly improving. We're at 5 months of exclusively breastfeeding now, and those awful first few weeks feel like a lifetime ago.

For nipple issues, a combo of nipple shields, hydrogel pads, lanolin, nipple butter (palmer's or earth angel), expressed BM, and neosporin were all helpful to me at one time or another. For milk supply, LOTS of water, oatmeal, fenugreek, blessed thistle, and as a last resort, prescription domperidone or Reglan are all things to try - Though I agree with others, don't rely on pumping to tell you how much you're producing. Nursing round the clock is the best way to boost supply. There are also patterns of pumping that are best for stimulating supply, as well as minor details that most people overlook, like how the flanges should fit, different kinds of shields, etc. Also keep in mind that a double pump will stimulate better than a single, and electric is generally superior to manual. Breast compression and massage can help enormously too. There is a ton of information online - Kellymom alone can keep you busy for hours with these kinds of tips and tricks.

This is all so true and so good to hear. For some women and their babies, nursing comes very easily, but for so many, it doesn't. And it's true that really the best "cure" for nursing issues is to nurse as often as possible and stick with it, because a combination of you learning what works best for you, baby learning how to latch, baby's neck muscles growing strong and in many cases mouth growing bigger, all lead to success. The recommendation to stick with it for at least the first 6 weeks tends to be very accurate, because by then, most of the earlier issues with pain and with latches have gotten resolved. But if they haven't, there are still a ton of great resources that can help. Dr. Newman's website and Kellymom are two of the best internet resources, and La Leche League locally can also be a huge help. Don't be afraid to ask for help! I know that hospital lactation consultants often get a bad rap (and rightly so, it seems), but that doesn't mean all of them are horrible-- mine was great. Finding as many resources for help as you can will only be to your benefit!

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 29, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Back sleeping is the current recommendation. Most babies will turn their heads to the side even when sleeping on their backs. Those side positioner things aren't really sold anymore because of the "back to sleep" campaign.

Personally, it never mattered for us because my daughter just slept in my arms on her side. But if the baby isn't sleeping with an adult, on their back is considered the safest. There are ways to do inclines if they suffer from reflux, so you can try Googling that too, if you think it will help.

edit: vvv Obviously, you have to make the decisions that work best for your family, but my very, very, very strong suggestion would be to not do something permanent like a vasectomy at this stage. Many, many people don't feel like they want a second child for a long time after the first. It's really a lot more common than not to want to wait. I remember my daughter being 9 months old and thinking to myself, "What the gently caress was I thinking wanting kids 18 months apart? There's no way I'm ready for another!" And so we waited and my daughter was closer to two when the desire for another baby started coming back. I would just really strongly advise you guys not to make any permanent decisions when you're in the middle of arguably one of the hardest stages of parenthood.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 30, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
A pregnancy support belt helped me a lot with SPD the first time around, and I'm sure in the coming weeks (I'm 21.5 weeks now) I'll need it again. Basically it stops all of the weight of baby, water, placenta, etc. from resting solely on your pelvis. It can't stop it all, but it can help a lot. I got mine at BRU. Mine has the strap that also goes over the top of the belly, but I never used it. The bigger belt part was sufficient.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

slowfoot posted:

Welp, I'm in the process of having a miscarriage at 9 weeks, so that's that I guess :(

I'm starting to feel like I'm too old to try again (I'm 36). I just felt like I always wanted to have two kids. Maybe I should just be happy with the (adorable/evil) one I have already...

I'm so sorry. :( I hope that you can heal from it, and that your next pregnancy is viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Thanks, I was already doing it wrong by testing at 1 hour after dinner tonight.

Not necessarily wrong, depending on what your OB's requirements are. When I am not pregnant, I test two hours after meals. When I am pregnant, I test one hour after meals. My OB and edocrinologist in combination like to see lower numbers while pregnant and are slightly more lax when not.