Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
For dried or sticky poops, I find using warm water and a cloth or soft paper towel (Kleenex Viva brand is awesome) works really well, and really helped my daughter's diaper rash. PLUS, the warm water seems to keep her from peeing, unlike the cold wipes.

The first time I tried to trim her nails with clippers I nicked her, so I haven't done it again. I just bite or peel. You really have to stay on top of it though, or use mittens. You haven't lived until a baby has grabbed your nipple and twisted it with their razor-sharp claws. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Phooney posted:

My wife didn't get much sleep last night after I left the hospital because it seems Jake only likes to sleep while he is being cuddled. He seems to hate being swaddled and put down, and has so far struggled out of our and the midwives' best swaddling efforts and cried until he was picked up.

We're really hoping that he likes his own cot (which will be attached to the side of our bed for now) better than the clear plastic cot he is currently refusing to use. We don't *want* to co-sleep any closer than the side-car style cot, but will of course cave if that is how everybody gets more sleep.

Is it the consensus that some babies just don't like swaddling? Even though I've read through all the previous thread, all I seem to recall is just how much babies love being reminded of the constricted environment of the womb, but Jake just loves being frog-legged face to chest with mummy and daddy :3:

Pixley loves being swaddled unless she has gas, but the first 2 weeks she wouldn't sleep unless I held her. We gradually got her in her own bed. We have a pack n play next to the bed and I started out by snuggling near it and laying my hand on her tummy and rubbing her back. Now she can sleep alone until she gets hungry or poopy, which is every 2-4 hours give or take. She's 6 weeks old.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Also try stripping her down to a diaper with your shirt off too. I had an extremely sleepy baby and the skin-to-skin contact really helped a lot.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
There's no point in putting her on a "schedule" because it's going to change. At 2 weeks Pixley's sleeping/feeding habits were totally different than even 4 weeks and now at 7 weeks. We're just now establishing a bedtime routine, but the timing's still different almost every night.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Braxton Hicks come and go and will usually chill out if you change positions, walk around, etc. They CAN hurt, but you feel it more at the front and/or top of your stomach. I went to L&D twice when my stomach stayed hard like that for a few hours. If it's rock hard like, say, your forehead for an extended period of time I'd call and see if they want to check it out. Make sure you're really well-hydrated too.

RE: nursing...I was ready to give up at least once a week until now when my daughter is 8 weeks. I had pain the first week or so and then we just had issues all over the place. We've finally hit our stride and everyone was right, it IS getting so much easier! Hang in there.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Me too, I would just sit on th couch and cry while I nursed her. I pumped and had my husband give her a bottle every so often when I thought I would lose my mind. Side-lying nursing in bed really helps me relax when she gets boob-crazy and wannts to clusterfeed for hours. Also get a special snack or something you can enjoy just when you're nursing. I know that sounds juvenile but it's nice to have something to look forward to.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

Congratulations, Longpig! That's one fine looking baby you have there!!

Ok, Zoey is just over 5 weeks old and breastfeeding is still posing to be a huge challenge. She still wants to eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours except during the night where I'm lucky enough to get 3-4 hour stretches. That being said, I feel like I'm tethered to both her and the house. I'd love to go out to see people or even just get a coffee and in theory, I have no qualms about breastfeeding in public. However, we're still on a nipple sheild (despite my daily efforts to get her off), I leak out the other boob that I'm not feeding her with, she eats for up to an hour at a time and I have such a forceful letdown about 5-10 minutes in that she chokes on my milk and coughs in routinely in my face. It's not a pretty picture. This just seems to make breastfeeding in public impossible. Everyone keeps saying that it gets easier after 6 weeks but they never say how it gets easier. Like, will my supply regulate and stop choking her? Will she not eat for an hour at a time? Because right now, I feel like I'm at the end of my rope and I really, really want to give up breastfeeding, switch to formula and have my husband help out with the feedings.

The first 3 weeks I had to feed Pixley and then pump and feed her expressed milk b/c she wasn't gaining weight. I then managed to pump myself into an oversupply and had the same issues you're having now. I spent a lot of time crying and feeding her. All of a sudden around 7 weeks things just magically got better and my boobs regulated themselves, and now at 11 weeks I just pop her on and off casually as needed for the most part.

To break myself into feeding her in public, I went to a casual restaurant with my family and put her carrier on the table in front of me, so it really blocked us. I fed her for like 45 minutes and no one was the wiser, or more likely just didn't care. Now I feel like I could do it just about anywhere, and it really helps.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We nursed to sleep until very recently and she does fine now without it (she's 3 months). I still feed her before bed, but lay her down when she is done eating and drowsy but still awake. She wakes up twice to eat during the night, but the second time I bring her into bed with me I snooze while she eats/sleeps. I had to go back to work when she was 2 months,and nursing her in bed is the best thing ever when I have to get up at 6am.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

foxatee posted:

Thanks for all the replies.

Peanut is still struggling with latching properly; it's still a work in progress. I don't know if that makes a difference regarding potential problem with the pacifier.

Edit: stupid phone.

If she's having difficulty latching I would try to avoid the pacifier for right now honestly. If she's already kind of dependent on it for soothing, maybe just give it to her in those times when nothing else is working?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Panne posted:

I never nursed for a specific amount of time - I listened for swallowing sounds. When he was no longer swallowing anything, I switched breast. Usually the lack of swallowing would be accompanied by his letting go of the boob more and more often and fussing a bit.

Yep, this. Also you can tell by their jaw movements; when they're engaged in nutritive sucking it looks like they're chewing gum and their jaw will be moving up by their ear. It's really hard to time nursing. I usually alternate which breast I start with because she often will only take one and be satisfied. The second boob is more of a dessert if she's not quite full. :) Sometimes she'll nurse for 30 minutes and sometimes 10 -- just keep watching and it gets easier to tell as you go. By 8 weeks I felt like an old pro.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I'll admit I was pretty puffy the whole pregnancy, I think partly due to the fact I was eating low-carb for a year beforehand and immediately stopped when I found out I was pregnant. I had to take my rings off around 28 weeks and still can't wear my engagement ring. Also I got hugely bloated like 2 days after labor because of all the fluids they gave me for the epidural.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Our daughter did it too. We had success with Playtex drop-ins, using a newborn sized slow nipple. The milk barely drips out. To get her to take it I had to leave the house. Now she fusses a bit on Mondays after a weekend with me just breastfeeding, but otherwise takes a bottle fine. Plus she can hold it herself now. :3:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Aww I miss counting pees and poops! Huggies Pure & Natural (which are neither of those things) smell like popcorn when there's pee.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I got terrible headaches all throughout my first trimester. My OB prescribed Tylenol with codeine and it didn't do poo poo, but helped me sleep through the night so I would occasionally take one when it got bad enough. I'm sure there are better options, but definitely bring it up if it's bothering you.

We have a changing pad on top of her dresser, which is really convenient when she needs a change and a change of clothes too. I think we both almost ALWAYS use the changing table, we both love it. We have decals on the wall above it she loves to look at.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

legbeard posted:

Could anyone tell me what kind of restrictions the doctor will put on a pregnant woman for work? I'm single and I found out last week that I'm pregnant. I work in construction, so it is physical work and somewhat hazardous.

I'm just curious what the doctor will let me do and for how long. I gotta work so I can pay for stuff.

I work in a hospital and had to stop hefting around stacks of charts around 20 weeks, I was also on a 15-lb. weight restriction. I had issues with pre-term contractions in my early 3rd trimester and had to go to desk-only 100% sedentary work, that sucked but I was able to work until the day I went into labor.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

My wrists didn't bother me when I was pregnant, but I was studying to be a medical transcriptionist shortly after having Dexter and was reading up on the Finklestein maneuver to test for DeQuervains tenosynovitis. I tried it out and I hurt my wrist. Bad. It hurt from about a month post-partum until my son was 18 months old. It would come and go. They aren't lying when they say that your ligaments get totally hosed when you're pregnant. Plus the hormones your body creates that allow your ligaments to get loose and easily hurt can stay in your system so long after you've had your baby.

Case in point: I gave birth in January and in late April started hurting myself. It started with hyper-extending my wrist and needing to be in a brace for a week. I thought I broke it somehow because I heard a snap but it was my ligaments snapping across my wristbone :gonk:.

At the end of May I tried to start running again and hurt both knees to the point of having to take a week off work and being on crutches. I could literally not walk. I feel better now after a cortisone shot to each knee and some PT. The weirdest part was getting these random shooting pains in my knees whenever my milk would let down.

Pregnancy just does bizarre poo poo to your body.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I never had visible swelling until the week before I delivered (38 weeks). My feet DID go up a size though, but went back down when P was a month old. And yeah that picture is NOT normal at all. Just drink plenty of water and keep your feet elevated when you're resting and it should be fine.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I will come right out and say I bitched about the attention at the time, but now that she's just about 7 months old no one cares and I miss it. When you're pregnant people are all "Oh let me get that for you dear" but when your kid is screaming in a restaurant it's more like :getout:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I just wore tunic tops bc even when my waist was like 60 inches I had sag.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So, this is a sensitive question, but how does one go about dealing with their uh...more sensitive bladder? Coughing, laughing, sneezing...they're all becoming a bit hazardous to my pants. Any tips?

Panty liners and Kegels.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I looked more pregnant at 10 weeks than 14, it was all bloat. Totally normal! Your baby is still so tiny, and a lot of moms feel like they aren't pregnant anymore right at the start of the 2nd trimester.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Baby names posted:

I sent out an e-mail with her name photoshopped onto a sonogram shot. I knew there would be backlash as my daughter has a really unusual first name (Pixley). As soon as she was born no one ever gave me a hard time about it again though, the name really suits her just like we knew it would.

Hospital posted:

I went to the hospital and was admitted at 4cm dilated, so pretty early. My water hadn't broken but I'd been having contractions for a while and they were getting close together and more intense. Plus there was a huge snowstorm so I was nervous about that too. They had me put on a gown right away.

As soon as I was admitted I also got an IV because I wasn't sure I wanted an epidural, but they have to give you 2 bags of fluid asap before doing the epidural and wanted me ready if I decided to get one. I had no problem with any of this. I had been laboring at home for the better part of a day and night and was exhausted.

I personally liked the gown because it was easy access for the doctor/anesthesiologist/nurses and I didn't care that it was covered with all manner of bodily fluids by the end. It was very soft and it also had shoulder snaps so I could do immediate nursing and skin-to-skin when she was delivered.

On a side note, my water didn't break until I was 10cm and it popped audibly and splashed the nurse checking me. It was totally badass, everyone in the room heard it and was shocked.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Try a support belt. My daughter wasn't terribly fond of it but it lifted her weight off my hips enough to give me relief.

Also floating in a pool was amazing.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
You need to have a serious talk with your employer because at some point you will be going to the doctor weekly. If morning sickness is a problem you think is going to effect your job, talk to HR and your doctor immediately about intermittent FMLA leave, because then they cannot fire you for missing work related to your pregnancy.

You really need to advocate for yourself starting now. Early pregnancy is the tip of the iceberg as far as missing work. At some point you will be going to the doctor weekly. Once you have the baby if you are going to pump at work they are going to need to make accommodations. What are you going to do if your kid has a fever and can't go to daycare?

That is why I waited to tell my employer I was pregnant. I said I had the flu until the pregnancy was confirmed and had my first trimester visits all set up.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I gained about 40 lbs when I was pregnant, and at 8 months PP I'm still hanging on to an extra 10 lbs. I lost 30 lbs. before I got pregnant, and I was still eating an extremely clean low-carb diet when I found out so I'm sure going off that had some backlash. I started at 138, delivered at 180, and I think I was like 160 the day I left the hospital. The rest has just kind of come off slowly.

Every time I cut calories my milk supply drops like a stone, and I've had some lasting joint issues from my pregnancy so working out hasn't really been an option, but it'll happen when my body is ready. No biggie!

There's a woman at my work who is almost 9 months pregnant and completely obsessed with food/weight gain. She's only gained 10 lbs. her whole entire pregnancy and constantly brags about it. We are having a shower for her and she lost her poo poo about having a cake. It makes me really sad.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Hey soon-to-be-moms, Babysteals has a pretty good deal on the best swaddling blankets ever (in my opinion): http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/

These are super resilient and stretchy. You can get a nice,tight, lasting swaddle AND they're really good as a nursing cover too because they're light and breathable. I swear I don't work for them, I just really love these blankets.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Totally normal, there is such an increased flow of blood there when pregnant. It goes away after delivery and the swelling from THAT.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Don't worry, your constipation issues will be solved when you start pushing during delivery. :D

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
False positives are kind of rare, and your morning pee has more of the pregnancy hormone in it, so a test taken earlier might make a difference. She should definitely call her OB to get a definite answer. How late is her period though?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

I'm totally down with getting this show on the road, too! Finally hit 37 weeks, so it's just waiting time now. I felt a little silly packing my birthin' bag today, but figured it should probably be done.

Trying really hard to ignore the due date and just assume that I'll stay pregnant all the way up until 42 weeks. But I can't help overanalyzing twinges/pains in the abdominal vicinity and waiting for my water to break every time I stand up. :)

So, postpartum belly binders. Worth it? Waste of money? Good for looking somewhat normal in clothes again, at least?

Don't feel silly, pack it! I waited and went into labor a week early, there are "hilarious" pictures of me throwing poo poo into a duffel between contractions.

Kind of pricey but Glamourmom makes a nursing tank with stomach support in it, definitely nice. I also did not enjoy the sensation of being able to grab handfuls of my loose empty abdomen. I'm 9 months PP and still like to wear a light support cami under most stuff.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I don't know what kind of birth you're planning to have but mine was easy as gently caress and the room was like 68°F in January and I sweated my rear end off not to mention being covered in all manner of fluids. No one demanded to shave my labia with a Bic either.

Edit because that came off really bitchy: If you want to get dolled up because it will make you feel good, go for it, but if it's stressing you out don't worry about that stuff.

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 12, 2011

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Lazenca posted:

You might regret not wanting new mum and baby shots. Yeah you don't look great, but you just had a BABY! No-one expects you to be looking at your best. I treasure all my post-birth photos with both kids, despite looking like a wreck in them.

Me too, I look at them probably once a month and they are my favorite pictures ever.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Lyz posted:

My husband and I plan on bringing the camera with us, but since it's just going to be him and me in there I think it would be unfair to expect him to stand back and take pictures. It's nice to have photos for later and all, but sometimes you gotta just put down the camera and experience it instead.

I do, however, want to trim myself up a bit down there before I go into labor, but it's kind of hard with this huge belly in the way. =/

I got one of those Schick razors with the electric trimmer, it was awesome. It's impossible to cut yourself with it so you can do it without being able to see. Or enlist your husband!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My husband was the only non-medical person in the room most of the time. My family came and went to say hi until I started transition. It ended up being 2 nurses, 2 medical assistants, and the doctor. The doctor was whoever was on call (my doc was on vacation) and she was awesome, we had the Pixies playing and she was singing along. The poor medical assistants had to put my placenta in a trash can. Sorry ladies!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Someone got me a princess-Christmas-elf dress thing in newborn size...My due date was 1/18. :downs:

It gets better once you're into bigger sizes. Now that my daughter is comfortable in shirts/tunics with separate pants it's easier to find girl stuff that's not over the top. Now that she crawls I use that as an excuse to return dresses.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I didn't hate being pregnant. I loved the excitement leading up to her being born. The physical stuff sucked but honestly it's mostly a blur now. I don't think it's magical, but it's pretty loving cool to grow a tiny human inside you. I loved feeling her kick and watching her stick her butt out. :3

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

Pregnancy is a poo poo sandwich.

:mad:

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

I am going to say this from a place of concern for you, I am not trying to be catty or bitchy, or a know-it-all. I am sure you are going to think "I don't understand" but I just gave birth 9 months ago and I DO understand to a point. You are very newly pregnant. Your body is going through the changes every woman in history who has ever been pregnant is going through. It can be unnerving and it's really stressful, especially before you find out if the pregnancy is viable.

If you continue to focus on every tiny little issue and negative feeling, you are about to be in for the longest 30+ weeks of your life. You need to relax. If you are already this genuinely stressed out, you really should consider talking to a therapist. Pregnant women ALWAYS seem to get pissed when moms say this, but once you actually have a newborn in your care, your stress level will reach new heights and you need to have a plan in place for dealing with it.

Urinary tract infections are so common in pregnancy that my OB tested urine at every visit for every pregnant patient. It is something that needs to be treated with antibiotics, though, so call the nurses' line if you think you have one.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Thoughts are with you guys, so very sorry for your loss. :(

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

That's actually pretty comforting to hear. One of the girls I work with worked until like two weeks before her due date - which I can't even fathom! And I was feeling kind of like a wimp barely able to keep up with it almost 7 months in.

Don't ever feel this way. Parenting is one of those things where some moms feel they have to constantly one-up you. "Oh my labor was 128 hours and I had a 7th degree tear through my rear end in a top hat that they stitched up with twine during a hurricane" type of poo poo. You have to listen to your own body. I work at an extremely fast-paced pediatricians' office and I was relegated to phone-answering duties at 28 weeks because I couldn't carry stacks of charts anymore, and we had a pertussis outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Lyz posted:

Welp, my body has failed me. I started early labor on Sunday morning... and then it petered off. It came back hard and fast that night, with short, close together contractions, so we went to the hospital at 3am... and I was still only 2cm so they sent me home. And now after a day of painful contractions it's petered off again. I haven't slept since 6am Sunday morning and I'm at the end of my rope, so the induction is tonight. I would have loved to go naturally, but if this is what it takes to get things going then so be it.

Sounds like your body just needs a kickstart. Good luck!! :)