Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.

JustinMorgan posted:

Hey goons! I'm not pregnant, my brother's wife is, and I have questions I feel weird/ rude asking her.
1. She's having a "complicated" pregnancy. I'm not sure of all the details, but I know the baby is RH+ and the mother is RH-. She's apparently been told by the doctors not to lift anything over 10 lbs. or to exert herself too much. Why?

2. She talks about her "birth plan". What exactly does this mean? I don't have any children but it seems trying to plan something that has so much out of your control is kind of futile. Plus, any movie with a pregnant woman has them freaking out because things aren't going according to their birth plan.

3. She's been craving salads. Is it true that the foods you crave are your body's was of telling you you're deficient in those vitamins?

My sister in law had the RH factor in both of her pregnancies. She wasn't aware of this for the first one and almost lost the pregnancy. From what I can remember, she had a one time shot or pill or something to that effect. It remedied the situation for the entire pregnancy. The no lifting anything over 10lbs rule seems a bit excessive but I don't know all the possible complications she may have. The rule I used for myself was if I wasn't exerting it was probably ok to lift it. I'm not sure of exact medical reasons for not lifting anything heavy but I think they warn against it because it could cause miscarriage.

Anyone who has any sense about them will realize a birth plan can change at any minute. It's mores there as an outline. It's true that it's pretty futile to expect childbirth to go exactly as you picture it in your head. Sometimes some folks deal with their anxiety about birth by figuring out their ideal situation. It's also nice to let as many people know what things you will not bend on, like breastfeeding asap, or no pain meds, or as many pain meds as possible. Some people do delayed cord cutting and it's just good to have these things laid out for anyone involved to see and follow to the best of their ability.

I think, for non-pregnant people, cravings can be a sign of some void in nutrition. In pregnancy a whole new set of rules comes into play. Some women crave dirt while pregnant. (never seen it but it comes up in almost everything regarding pregnancy cravings so I guess it must've happened once or twice) I want to say it's entirely hormones but I never really had the crazy OMG have-to-have-it-now cravings while pregnant. I did want to exist entirely on mcdonalds cheeseburgers though. I guess that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

We throw ours in our trash can and haven't run into any problems with animals or bugs. Our trash can is plastic, with a pretty heavy lid. It also sits right outside our back door for most of the week, so we just need to open a door, flip the lid, and toss it in. Most times I don't even need to step out of the house, just lean over. We had a diaper genie-type thing but it stopped keeping the stank out, so we just started throwing them in the big trash can.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Banana Cat posted:

I'm almost 18 weeks along and both wrists have been KILLING me for the last week. At first I thought I was just sleeping in a weird position since just one wrist initially hurt, but now they're both really sore--more when I move them--from the top of my wrist to about halfway to my elbow. I remember briefly seeing a section on "Pregnancy Carpel Tunnel Syndrome" in a library book, but I flipped past it since "Yeah yeah, doesn't sound like that'll happen to me!" :downs: Since I've sworn off Googling symptoms for a while due to the whole "EVERY SYMPTOM MEANS YOU ARE DYING RIGHT THIS MINUTE!" typical search results, can anyone else give me more info? I don't have another prenatal appointment until August, but if the pain gets worse I'll definitely contact my OB.

My wrists didn't bother me when I was pregnant, but I was studying to be a medical transcriptionist shortly after having Dexter and was reading up on the Finklestein maneuver to test for DeQuervains tenosynovitis. I tried it out and I hurt my wrist. Bad. It hurt from about a month post-partum until my son was 18 months old. It would come and go. They aren't lying when they say that your ligaments get totally hosed when you're pregnant. Plus the hormones your body creates that allow your ligaments to get loose and easily hurt can stay in your system so long after you've had your baby.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

Saying we want to be surprised worked for the majority of both sides of the family that are unfamiliar with our previous situation.

There's a handful of people, mainly my wife's sister (who does know about the situation and is being a bitch, but that's a whole other story) and a couple of my aunts who knit like crazy, who are being fairly pushy about it, on the "how am I supposed to know what color blanket to make" type of whining. It's just getting drat annoying and it got brought up at my grandfather's funeral two weeks ago and again at the luncheon after his burial this past friday. We don't want to be rude, but at this point it's looking like we'll have to be.

As for my wife's sister, I'm of the opinion that she can go gently caress herself after she flat out told my wife when she miscarried and called her up for some support, "I don't see why you're so upset, you didn't seem all that happy to be pregnant when you told us at Christmas."

I kind of skimmed, so I'm sorry if anyone else mentioned this idea. Why not just tell them that the baby wouldn't cooperate so you don't know, and aren't getting any more ultrasounds (Or tell them the baby was shy and not showing parts every time you go for an ultrasound)

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Lyz posted:

Gotta enjoy the happy moments while we can, next week he'll hit the magical 12 week mark where we can start sleep training and a gradual weaning to the cosleeper. My hips and back can't take much more of sleeping with a baby in the bed.

Just prepare yourself for a lot of back and forth of you plan on sleep training so early. Theres a lot babies go through in the first year of life that really screws with how they sleep. I wasn't even aware it was ok to sleep train that early. I would assume it wouldn't really do much but make everyone involved frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

My c-section was an emergency and not all c-sections are like this, but please don't ever consider opting for one without even trying a vaginal birth first. Obviously there are a few medical issues where a c-section is the only option, but those are few and far between. It's like saying you should just cut out your gall bladder because one day you might need to. Why rush to have surgery? Yes, some people recover from it well, but some people also die from even minor surgical procedures. I'm glad my son is alive but I hate that I had to have a c-section. I hate that a bunch of strangers got to hold and care for my child while I was still knocked out. It was hours after Dexter's birth before I got to hold him. People who want to have a c-section just to save their precious vagina need to rethink their priorities. Our bodies are built for shooting an infant out of there, it won't be exactly like it was before but it will get better. Sorry if I seem bitchy but I really hate how people glorify c-sections now.