Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

skibunny402 posted:

I think this was mentioned in the old thread, but I can't seem to find it...what's the name of the FB group? I just realized I'd never joined :(

It's SA Moms. I don't know if it's findable by searching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Phooney posted:

Question for Aagar! As a man who no doubt has much experience in getting feces off scrotums... what advice can you give? It was a long ordeal for me, and I think must have been pretty distressing for him.

Question for anybody: He has long razor sharp fingernails already, and I worry about the lifespan of his face and eyes in that environment. Should one invest in some baby fingernail clippers, or is it best to just cover his hands in mittens until a certain age?

Congrats! :D

His poop should get easier to get off as it gets more runny when the meconium has passed. Some olive oil makes the meconium easier to remove.

I just used my fingers to trim baby's nails, I'm too much of a sissy to get close to his hands with scissors. What worked for me was doing it while he was eating, towards the end of a meal when he was calm and drowsy. Good luck!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
My estimate was pretty accurate - they told me between 3 and 3.3 kilos if he was born on his due date. He came 9 days overdue and was 3.5. Hey, they have to be right some times ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Miss Shell posted:

There are different breech positions and some of them, eg. footling breech, are pretty risky positions for vaginal delivery. Delivery of breech babies can be dangerous because the head (which is the biggest part) stays up in the birth canal while the body is out. So if the head then gets stuck, you have a problem. I believe the cord would also be half out/half in, and so could become compressed.

While it is possible to deliver breech babies vaginally, I personally wouldn't risk it, and most doctors wouldn't either. Just too many ways for it to go wrong.

Edit: Beaten, but there you go!

Also it depends on where you are. Over here as long as en x-ray confirms that baby's head can fit through the canal and the baby isn't foot or feet first, you're good to go. You'll need a doctor in addition to the midwife though, since the risk is greater, I was breech and my mother was fine, the birth was no more complicated than a regular birth. But yeah, you need to be sure beforehand and have an expert present.

Edit: Most of you are in the US though so that fact is kind of irrelevant. Just pointing out that it's not necessarily as risky as it's made out to be. Although I'd be pretty scared to deliver a breech baby myself :(

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 26, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

A Serious Woman posted:

I guess my questions are: Have any of you dealt with a baby who wouldn't stay latched on? If so, what did you do to correct this problem? I'm considering using a lactation aid. Have any of you used one of these? Did it work for you? Did it cause any problems? I'm meeting with a lactation consultant tomorrow but would appreciate any advice because I really want to make breastfeeding work.

Yes. My baby would latch on fine, then let go. Over and over and over again. The midwife we saw at our one week check up said it was probably because of my strong letdown; the milk was choking him. 3 part solution:

1. Try "tulip fingers" (also called Cotterman's grip):

This softens an engorged breast and makes it easier for the baby to latch.

2. Boob sandwich - shape the breast to fit better in baby's mouth. Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuu8...&has_verified=1 around 5.00 minutes for an illustration.

3. Angle your baby so that the head is higher up, so she has to work against gravity.

And be careful of nipple confusion. Maybe you could feed her with a cup so she won't get too used to the bottle and refuses the breast?

Edit: Sheesh, I forgot to say Congrats! :) Glad everything went ok, that sounds scary as hell! Love her name.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 27, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
When she falls asleep, you can also try rubbing her jaw up by her ear. Do it pretty vigorously, it stimulates the sucking reflex.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

peanut posted:

They might be confusing schedule for a routine. Moving to the bedroom around the same time every night is the best you can do with a newborn.

Agreed 100%!

We have never aimed for a specific schedule, but as our baby grew, he started sleeping around the same time. Very early we started differentiating day and nighttime. Then we started putting him to bed around the same time each night. Sometime after a feed between 7-9 pm. After a while he got tired around the same time, earlier and earlier, until he went to bed pretty consistently at around 7. It is possible to get a routine going, but it's best to work with your baby and don't stress it! Notice when he gets tired, then start putting him to bed a little before that to avoid overtiredness for example.

I did a nap chart for a while, to see patterns in his sleeping habits - then I started trying to join together some of the smaller naps into longer ones. Just remember, A Serious Woman, 2 weeks is really young. I didn't start seing a pattern until 4 weeks I think.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

CrispyMini posted:

By the time baby is ready for solids (6mos +), he'll be sitting on his own and possibly able to escape the Bumbo completley.

Maybe he will, maybe not. My kid is almost 7 months and doesn't sit on his own, whcih is not unusual. He can be propped up in a highchair on our laps though which is fine for eating.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Ariza posted:

She's a third year medical student finishing up her last two rotations of the year. If she were to miss more than five days of her rotation, she would end up having to repeat the year and taking out private loans to do so. Taking the extra year would have repercussions for her down the road looking into the residencies she would like to do. This may all be bullshit, but she was dealing directly with the Dean at her school and that's how he laid it out for her. She's doing Peds now and her preceptor has been pretty understanding of the whole situation. It's all very annoying but I have to stick by her decisions. I quit working and am only attending school part time for now so we can avoid a daycare as long as possible.

This is so sad. Why isn't there maternity leave for school? Not to be a downer, but she might not be able to go through with this, if not physically then mentally. Good luck!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MarshallX posted:

Also, Mom is able to produce great with a pump but Grayson wants nothing to do with latching, even though he will shotgun 5ML out of a bottle in 3 seconds flat and suck on your finger to no end when hungry.

Any tips? I know it's early and this is common, just trying to keep new options on the table.

I had this problem with my son. He was not interested in sucking on my boobs (especially the left) for the first few days.

Be a little careful with the bottle, he might get "lazy" and prefer the bottle to boob, as milk flows faster and the sucking technique is different. With my son, I hand expressed and fed him from a cup. I let him suck on my little finger to stimulate his sucking. Both me and my husband spent as much time as possible skin-to-skin with him, as that stimulates the baby's sucking. When he was 4 days old he ate mostly from my boobs, and by 2 weeks all issues were completely resolved. Best of luck, you can do this!

This video shows how to get a good latch.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MarshallX posted:

Well, low and behold, we got Grayson home and the first time we try in his room he latched on both sides!

My wife is elated. :) Maybe the calmness of the house and the quietness gave him a bit of reassurance, but it was pretty special.

That is excellent news! He might go a bit back and forth; my son would suddenly refuse to stay latched on one breast, then be fine the next feed and so forth. So if that happens, don't be discouraged! You can do it wooooooo!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

A Serious Woman posted:

So what do you guys do to keep your kids entertained? Zoey's just over six weeks old and I'm at a loss as to what to do to keep her interested. I show her black and white baby stimulation images, play with her on her play mat (it has musical toys, dangly things, etc.), sing to her, talk to her, read to her, carry her around to let her see the happenings of the house (I'd do more of this if my back wasn't shot), let her sit in her chair that has dangly things that I'm teaching her to hit, etc. The problem is that no matter what we do, she gets bored within 10 minutes, starts crying and then wants to do something else. I'd be happy to do whatever I can to keep her content but I feel like my usual bag of tricks is coming up short. Any suggestions?

This sounds completely normal and fine. Have you tried putting him on a blanket on the bathroom floor while you shower? My kid loves the sound of running water, so when he was younger I'd do that sometimes to entertain him and get clean at the same time ;)

When my kid was that age, a lot of times he would get tired from all the impressions, and I just let him sit in my lap or lie next to me for a while with no talking, no eye contact and so on. Babies can get overstimulated if there's too much going on. I also carried him in a wrap, and that always made him fall asleep (after some looking around for a while).

I might have gone on about this before, but unless it's colder than -10 C you can go out! Just dress properly (wool is best). I totally get wanting spring to come though - we've had lots of snow this winter, and not having to trudge through it is all kinds of awesome! Also, my kid hates putting clothes on, sigh. He thinks we should live in southern California or something, he just loves being naked.

Edit: the -10 C is because babies' airways can't handle really cold air. Other than that, you could theoretically dress them warm enough for even colder temperatures.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MarshallX posted:

How long did the people that had issues nursing try until they gave up and pumped? How did you deliver the pumped milk to baby?

We are still having issues with Grayson, he either falls asleep or freak outs and won't suck even when he gets a small latch on Mom.

This is very frustrating :(

We think he is being lazy because the dumb bottles the hospital made us use when he wouldn't latch for the first time are too easy to get milk out of whereas getting it from the source takes more work.

We tried putting milk on the pad of our finger and getting him to latch to that for the same size source but he didn't want anything to do with it.

Sorry you're having problems :( It can be very stressful. I already said this, but it took me 2 weeks (not until I gave up, until he managed to latch consistently).

It's very early yet for you guys, you can do it! Fire in the Disco speaks the truth, ditch the bottles and use a cup or a syringe! Also, you mentioned that you supplement with formula. Are you sure he needs it? Unless there is some issue, babies are fine with what mom produces, their stomachs are made to match the output. The "danger" of giving formula is that mom's boobs needs the stimulation from the baby to make her produce milk. Too little stimulation can make a vicious cycle where there's not enough supply, then you give more formula, leading to less stimulation and so on.

Of course, if you feel like you need the peace of mind, you could give formula, but have mom pump or hand express more. Be aware that it can be hard to judge if the baby is getting enough only based on his behaviour. The only reliable indications are 1) weight gain and 2) wet/poopy diapers.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

A Serious Woman posted:

Question: When did you/when are you folks planning on returning to work? The earliest I can return to work is at 17 weeks, June 20 (technically I can return whenever I want but my husband can't use any of the 17 weeks) and the latest I can return is at 52 weeks, February 20, 2012. Whatever I don't take in leave, my husband will take the remaining portion. As it stands, I'm looking to return to work just after Labour Day. Do you guys wish you could have stayed at home longer or did/do you want to go back to work? i'm contemplating going back to work in June but part of me is greedy and wants the summer off. Just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of returning to work early or late.

Aaaw, your baby is cute!

I'm going back to work when my kid is 9 months, his dad will stay home with him for 3 months after that. I think I'll be pretty ready at that point. I miss work and am excited to start. I will have to pump at work, but I think that will go pretty well.

I kind of wished I could have had leave over the summer, so next baby I will try to have in the spring ;)

Next time I might return earlier so his dad can stay home more. I wouldn't return until the kid is 6 months or later though, as I think it's easier when the baby can get a little solids and doesn't ONLY eat boob milk.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

AlistairCookie posted:

So the discussion a couple posts back was all about when to return to work, (like we have a choice in the matter here in the US, but anyway) and FITD talked about her decision to stay home with Cecelia. I've had a lot of anxiety the past week or two and this seems as good a in as any to let off some steam:

I had been working two days a week after I had Midget, but now it no longer makes sense for me to do so, so I'm not going back after my leave this time. I will stay home (probably, barring something unexpected) until Liam is in kindergarten--5+ years. It is by far the most logical decision for us financially and logistically with two kids.

I know lots of moms (and dads) would be envious of being able to do this, and that makes me feel like an even bigger heel. Just typing this out brings tears to my eyes; I am so overwhelmed by the thought of staying home with the kids all the time. That I don't get that break anymore where I get to wear a different hat. I have been at my job for 9 years and I like it. I have good friends there and I'll miss doing the work, and seeing my co-worker friends so often. Yes, we socialize outside of work, but it's not the same. It felt good to work PT--I got to wear the Mommy Hat and the Alistair Hat and switch back and forth and it was good to always get a break from both roles. It made me better at both, in retrospect--I got a break from home, so when I was home I really appreciated being with Midget. And I was always fresh going to work, even if I was always playing catch-up with the goings on.

Now, I feel like at any given moment, I am short changing one of them--or both of them--not to even mention housework or anything. Being short with Midget and having him tell me to "talk nicely" or "take a breath, Mommy". :cry: Letting Liam cry for a minute because I am right in the middle of something with Midget--or not interacting with him like I want to during his awake time. Having to tell Midget to wait for the umteenth time because Liam is nursing (still, again, it's all the same since he eats constantly right now). I know it's a learning curve, figuring out how to juggle two. And I remember that this super-needy stage of Liam's doesn't last forever (and that I will probably miss it when it's gone).

I guess, the long and the short of it is that I feel really overwhelmed by becoming a FT SAHM, by learning how to deal with both kids, and feel like a total poo poo that I even have the audacity to feel like this. I love my boys! Why do I feel like such poo poo at the prospect of spending every day with them?! Anyone else have trials and tribulations when having a second kid and/or quitting their job to stay home?

I'm sorry you're having a hard time :( Is it because of the cost of daycare that it's financially better to stay home? I'm afraid I don't have any advice; I'll be back to work soon - just this: There is nothing wrong with you for feeling this way! I love my kid to pieces but I look forward to going to work (even if I will miss him a lot during the day, my little babyyyyyy waaah! ;) ). Staying home all day every day is just not for me (even if we do not literally stay home, we go out all the time, but you know what I mean). It's not for everyone.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The feminist in me rages at this. It should be possible to combine family and work! :argh:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

foxatee posted:

Alright. I'm at 38 weeks and I still haven't felt any contractions. At least, if I am having them, I don't notice. The most I've gotten are menstrual-like cramps, which my doctor says is perfectly normal. Is it normal for me not to feel any contractions this late in the game? Because every time I go in for my weekly check-up, he asks if I've felt anything and I feel like such a failure for not feeling a drat thing.

Another question: can anyone tell me the difference between a sports bra and a sleep nursing bra?

I never felt anything more than menstrual-like cramps and braxton hicks right up until my contractions started for real.

A sleep nursing bra is much less supportive, and also has easier access to the boobs I think.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

AlistairCookie posted:

I have a question of my own: So my milk supply is crazy go nuts overnight and all morning long. Liam will feed off just one side sometimes and I'll have to pump. I have to pump during the overnight after he feeds because I'm still that uncomfortable. But then during the afternoon it levels off and by dinnertime through bedtime, they're coughing up dust. So I've been giving the extra milk in bottles from the morning hours in the evening to make up for it, so I guess in the end it's okay. It gives me the freedom to do a better bedtime with Midget since Dad can bottle, but I was wondering what's up with all that? To be clear, I still nurse Liam when he wants to, for (mostly) as long as he wants, but he gets frustrated and angry during the ~5-6pm and ~9pm feeds. Nurses for a bit, pulls away, screaming all pissed off, repeats for a half hour. Then he'll drink 3oz or better from a bottle, like I've given him nothing and be happy. He latches and nurses fine during any other time.

Am I just out of whack, or out of sync with him?

The milk you produce in the evening is often fattier than the morning milk. So even if it doesn't seem much, it's higher in calories and more filling.

Edit: It's common for babies to be fussy in the evening, see this: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Brennanite posted:

Where do you guys find nice, inexpensive maternity clothes? I don't want anything fancy, just semi-fashionable and not $$$. I think others have mentioned Target, but mine sucks. A row of plain tees and a rack of capris does not a maternity section make!

Do you have H&M near you? Their actual maternity clothes are pretty ugly, but they have lots of longish tops that work really well as maternity tops. I bought a few and they were good as nursing tops as well because they could be pulled down easily.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

Are these glucose tests done for everyone, or just for specific reasons? I've never heard of them before.

Depends on where you are. You're in Ireland if I remember correctly? I don't know how it is there, but I'm sure your doctor knows :) In Norway where I am it's not done unless there's a reason to suspect you have it so I had never heard of it before reading this thread.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Brennanite posted:

All the talk of nursing pads is bringing out my secret shame: I'm only 22 weeks and I've started to leak. It's just a few drops so far, but I'm worried. Will it get worse the further along I get or will it just stay a few drops until the baby comes?

This is really embarrassing to ask. :blush:

Haha, don't be embarrassed ;) Boobs are awesome! I think it's different for everyone, some people only leak tiny drops, but a friend of mine used to soak her sheets with milk when pregnant.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

LuckyDaemon posted:

All of this "one drink will make your baby retarded" stuff is pretty unique to this country!

Not really, the recommendation over here too is no alcohol during pregnancy. I don't see it as paternalistic, it's mostly due to the fact that while most of the time the baby is ok, it isn't really known exactly how much alcohol can damage the fetus.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I never nursed for a specific amount of time - I listened for swallowing sounds. When he was no longer swallowing anything, I switched breast. Usually the lack of swallowing would be accompanied by his letting go of the boob more and more often and fussing a bit.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Cross_ posted:

At around 7 weeks we tried bottle-feeding our son and it was straight-forward. He latched on and drank the thawed breast milk. Since then he's been breast feeding only which is also working fine. Now at 3 months we tried to give him the bottle again and he refuses it.

At times he was trying to push the bottle away, at others he just left his lips wide open without sucking. Eventually some milk drips down his throat, he starts choking and crying. I have been trying to tease him with the plastic nipple against his lips which for the most part did not elicit any response. Milk and plastic nipple were warmed to body temperature. Any ideas ?

My son was the same way. We got him to eat from a bottle occasionally by laying him on the breastfeeding pillow ;) He seemed to associate that with eating.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Also you get a feel for how heavy it is. A really wet diaper is a lot heavier than a dry one!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

The Young Marge posted:

Question - did/does anyone use any white noise to help soothe your newborn? I read something about recordings of "womb sounds" and it piqued my interest (I'm also reading The Happiest Baby on the Block, but haven't reached the section about sound yet). I've heard of people running vacuum cleaners or hair dryers, too. Just wondering about this, particularly what sounds seem to help the most.

I downloaded the sound file from rainymood.com and put it on a mp3-player with an external speaker. It really helped my baby sleep. We used it until he was maybe 6 months old. :)

The formula thing - while I can see it being tempting to give formula when things are rough, I can also see it being a stress decreaser. Like, if you know your baby won't go hungry then it might make you less stressed about the breastfeeding, even if you end up not needing it. I think you do need to know the basic facts about breastfeeding in any case, so you know what is normal and don't use formula when it's not neccessary! :)

Also, I know I've said it before in this thread but to me living in Norway the fact that hospitals actually hand out free samples of formula is so alien - advertising formula is actually FORBIDDEN here :O

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Uh oh. I've said for years now I'm going to use Eleanor because I'm a huge Beatles fan and love old fashion names. But I see this popping up more and more and I don't want a kid who's name is in the top 50. Would I be a bad person if I named her Prudence?

Also, my husband loves the name Athena. What say you guys?

Also also, Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread. I'm 7 weeks along with my first kid. Already had an ultrasound and everything. Due date is 02/17/11. Also, I found out today my sister is 8 weeks pregnant with her second. WOW! Kind of cool!

Prudence just makes me think of prude and prudish ;( But I'm an internet stranger, don't listen to me ;) Love Athena!

Oh and congrats! :toot:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

I have some questions for y'all about practical pregnancy nutrition.

I'm now 21 weeks pregnant, and everything is going pretty smoothly so far. Baby's growing fine, my midwives are nice, I've mostly stopped puking, etc.

However, I'm a little concerned about my weight gain, since I was overweight to begin with (but had lost ~40 lbs over the previous 8 months). So far, I've gained 12 lbs, and roughly a pound a week for the last 6 weeks or so. I keep seeing 11-20 lbs as the recommended weight gain at my BMI, and it just doesn't seem like that's even possible for me at this point. I know I need to be getting more vegetables in daily (I tend to get 4-5 servings of produce a day), but all I can think about is eating carbs and fast food. Most days I manage pretty well and my eating isn't out of control, but I still seem to be gaining faster than I 'should.' I'm eating plenty of fruits and dairy, at least. I'm a good cook, which is part of the problem - I can whip up something delicious and high-cal really quickly, which is not helping my dietary self-control. Trying to get excited about eating whole grains and steamed veggies is pretty tough when I can't even see a picture of a cheeseburger without fixating on it for the rest of the day. I'm keeping a food journal again to help keep me honest and motivated, but I'm still struggling.

How did you ladies manage? Did you gain the 'recommended' amount for your weight? I'd love some tips, hope, encouragement, and/or a reality check.

I gained in the very upper range of "recommended" weight gain I think (it was hard to get a definite number for exactly how much was recommended). I ate pretty healthy, but I was hungry a lot. I just figured that my body was telling me how much it needed and tried not to stress over it. Lots of it was water I think, and the rest came off with breastfeeding. Something that helped me when I craved unhealthy stuff was allowing myself to have a small amount and then get something healthy that I seldom eat. Like, I wanted ice cream, so I had some, and then I ate a mango, something I seldom eat because it's often a bit expensive. I did the food journal too, so that I could track calories, but I didn't restrict calories as long as they came from healthy food.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

starshine posted:

my midwives actually didn't care one bit about how much weight I was gaining. Weighing myself and recording the weight was a totally optional part of prenatal care! Don't stress too much :shobon:

My doctor didn't care either but he still recorded my weight and he explained that it was just in case it did something really weird like suddenly drop a ton or increase 3x speed which could indicate a problem and need to be checked out.

Regarding post partum weight loss, in my experience it can be really busy so I often forgot to eat. That helped with weight loss but it's not the healthiest way I'm sure ;( Keep some healthy snacks around like nuts and dried fruit, breastfeeding can make you suddenly ravenous. If you live in an area where it's possible, go for walks with the baby! It's good for you both and helps you get back in shape.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 7, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

yawnie posted:

Is that normal? It really put me off because I want to exclusively breastfeed, and if my baby is away from me for 3 hours, I can only assume they will be feeding him and I'm not okay with that. She also kept mentioning that the nurses would be "in and out of the room to feed and take care of the baby" during our stay. But.. I don't want them to feed the baby. I'm just worried that I will run into this at both hospitals and I don't want to feel like I'm fighting with the nurses to get them to leave my baby alone. I really appreciate having the help available if I'm tired and I need it, but I don't want to be sleeping and wake up to one of the nurses trying to give my baby a bottle, or taking him away for three hours in the morning.

Anyways, just curious about others experiences with this.

Just say no. The pediatrician only checked my baby once and we were there the whole time. They don't need to check on the baby for 3 hours every day, wtf (as long as there's nothing seriously wrong with the baby). I'd go to a mother-child friendly hospital if there are any (http://www.unicef.org/programme/breastfeeding/baby.htm)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

VorpalBunny posted:

My goal is to stop around 12 months, we're at nearly 8 months now. I honestly just want my body back, as in I'd love to get rip-roaring drunk one more time! Our goal is to have another kid when my first is around 2 years old, which means I have maybe a 6 month window of time for grandma to babysit a few times and momma to have some fun! I know that sounds immature, but I've been breastfeeding on demand for nearly 8 months and I could use a break.

I honestly never thought I could go this long but here I am, so I could see people going a few years. My mother-in-law loves to tell the story about how my husband just refused the boob one day, so self-weaning is possible.

My kid is 11 months now and is rapidly losing interest in nursing. I offer him boob before most meals (even activating letdown beforehand in case impatience is the issue) and he refuses, then eats solids like a fiend. He is down to one nursing per day, maybe two. It's a little sad actually because I get afraid he'll just wean completely any day and I wanted to keep going until he starts daycare, but I'm not going to force him ;) (even if it was possible). Like Starshine said, nursing is a relationship, and both parties have to want it.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's generally believed by boob gurus that babies won't self-wean before 18-24 months. Have you looked at the Kellymom page on nursing strikes? I'm not 100% sure it applies in A's case, but it never hurts to look. :)

He had a nursing strike at 8 months that he got over. This is more gradual, so I don't think that's what it is. He still takes one to two nursings a day like I said. I'm curious though how they define weaning as opposed to a nursing strike. I know of many babies (this is anecdotal) that lost interest between a year and 18 months. It just seems like a circular definition is what I'm trying to say I guess, if everything below the age of 18 months is defined as a nursing strike regardless :confused:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Janelle posted:

Now for questions. Those of you who use/d moby wraps, how long would you wear baby and was it hard to get him used to not being held when he outgrew it? I bought one today and it is a godsend. How hot do they get? I'm in Texas where we get very, very hot. Will I get super sweaty if I wear it outside?

I used a similar wrap from my baby was newborn and until he was 3-4 months when I switched to a woven. I'd wear him for as long as he wanted, the longest stretches were 3 hours, a couple of times 4. It wasn't hard at all to get him used to not being held, it happened gradually as he got older that he wanted to be on the floor more :) I live in a much cooler climate so I can't say anything about heat, but I think the mobys are pretty thick comparatively. I think Fire in the Disco used a gauze wrap which is supposed to be cooler.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I am almost halfway through my first pregnancy and in the past few days have been waking up with my right ear feeling clogged. I am pretty sure it isn't wax because the feeling goes away by the middle of the day. My OB said their office doesn't have the equipment to look into my ear and that I should just take Sudafed -- but I am not fully confident with her practice (I am actively meeting with potential new practices). Could this just be part of the pregnancy inflammation (ex: rhinitis) that I've read about? I am a little worried because it hasn't gone away yet today. Think the Sudafed will actually help?

They don't have the equipment to just take a look into your ear :confused: Can't they just use that funnel thing with a light on it? Anyway, to rule out wax you could try putting a few drops of some kind of oil in your ear overnight, as it should loosen wax buildup.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Bags of snacks like nuts and dried fruits were a godsend to me. Easy energy!

Edit: And speaking of dried fruits, there is a reason many hospitals offer prunes and other dried fruits to women having just given birth. My advice: Eat them. Eat all the prunes.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 9, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

So is it common to stay in the hospital for several days after the baby is born? I figured I'd go home asap unless there is bad tearing.

I think it depends on the hospital. The advantage of staying for a few days is that you can get help with breastfeeding. My hospital has a "patient hotel" where you get a private room, so I liked staying there for the 3 (or was it 4?) days we were there. I think if I had been in a regular ward I'd have wanted to go home earlier.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Hahaha the ultrasound doctor we went to called it "the third leg".

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

People will tell you a long list of things that "worked" for them but who knows if they were going to have the baby that day anyway. Are you overdue?

Fresh pineapple is supposed to do it. Spicy foods. Sex. Walking. Waiting works for sure ;)

My first was 10 days late.
My second was 4 days late.
My third was 16 days late.

Yes oh my god yes. Everyone and their aged grandmother had some magic trick that worked for them, from acupuncture to zebra-riding. Well, maybe not that. But when you're overdue the baby WILL come soon no matter what, and people just remember the last thing they tried and credit that for starting labor. Mine was 9 days late so I got all the well meaning tips.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I started feeling faint fluttery sensations some time around week 17 I think - it felt like a muscle spasm at first, but a really tiny one. I had an ultrasound sometime around week 18 and seeing the baby move on the screen and then simultaneously feeling the kicks was really cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Gumby Orgy posted:

How long into your pregnancy did it take before your pants were snug? I'm about seven weeks and I'm either bloated or carrying a rhino. I haven't gained weight at all, quite the opposite, but my pants are uncomfortable.

I thought I was getting a baby belly quite early but it was just gas, haha :butt:
I started using Fire in the Disco's hairband trick at ~12 weeks, mostly because my stomach got really sensitive to pressure.