Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

netally posted:

I was bloated at that stage too. My belly was huge, wobbly and uncomfortable. However, at 15 weeks it's turning into a cute little bump rather than an ugly mass of flesh.

Goonettes... Am I crazy to be looking at cloth diaper sets when I don't own a dryer? I usually dry my clothes outside, but will be giving birth in March and the weather will be poo poo. During the winter I usually dry my own clothes inside using a crappy device from the shopping channel, but those diapers look a lot thicker and heavier than my usual laundry. I definitely don't have the space to fit a dryer anywhere. Any advice on brands that are perhaps a little less bulky?

I don't really cloth diaper but I read somewhere that if you're looking for maximum environmental save-age you shouldn't use a dryer on cloth diapers anyway. You'll eat up most of the benefits to the environment if you do that.

Link: http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/pdf/SCHO0808BOIR-e-e.pdf

limegrnxj I think weight gain depends a lot upon what weight you are when you get pregnant. It's also very individual. When I got pregnant I had just had the flu and was on the very low side of my normal weight. On my due date I weighed 45 pounds more than when I got pregnant, and I ate healthy and exercised throughout. Your body will gain as much as it needs, don't worry about it as long as you are eating healthily. Breastfeeding helps you lose the weight.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Gumby Orgy posted:

I bought a belly band. I can wear jeans again without wanting to shoot something. As it turns out, my mom hasn't been a source of much support at all because she thinks I'm going through some horrible thing. She had what she describes as the perfect pregnancy. She never got morning sickness, had cramping, or any of the bad symptoms. She also was never exhausted. She thinks I'm a freak XD

Haha, or she just forgot over the years how it really was ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
chiropractic has been very widely criticized for being ineffective, dangerous, and basically a pseudoscience. I'd rather get a massage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1905885/?tool=pmcentrez

quote:

Conclusions Spinal manipulation, particularly when performed on the upper spine, is frequently associated with mild to moderate adverse effects. It can also result in serious complications such as vertebral artery dissection followed by stroke. Currently, the incidence of such events is not known. In the interest of patient safety we should reconsider our policy towards the routine use of spinal manipulation.

http://www.chirobase.org/01General/controversy.html

These are good guidelines if you do decide to see a chiro:

1. Have the problem evaluated by a medical doctor first. Have underlying serious illnesses ruled out before deciding that the problem is neuromusculoskeletal. Heart disease, cancer, kidney dis' ease, and other serious problems that need prompt medical care may manifest themselves as back pain and dysfunction. Don't allow an overzealous, inadequately trained chiropractor to keep you from prompt diagnosis and care. If the chiropractor recommends X-rays, have them done by a radiologist.

2. If you decide to try SMT, inform your doctor. Ask if there is any reason you should not have SMT (osteoporosis is one common contraindication). if not, ask for his or her help in locating the most skillful practitioner in the area (physiatrist, physical therapist, chiropractor, etc.). Some doctors feel that SMT hasn't been scientifically proven effective, but most are willing to go along with a patient who wishes to give it a try.

3. Remember that the main value of SMT lies in the rapidity of the relief it provides. If you have not experienced significant relief within three weeks, discontinue SMT. Do not submit to long-term care. Do not sign a contract. And do not accept the idea of preventive chiropractic care. Education about how to prevent back problems by safe lifting techniques, proper exercise, and ergogenics (analyzing and redesigning the workplace to avoid injuries) is valuable.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

I'm confused about the pros/cons of getting antibiotics during labor, with regards to trying to prevent group B strep infection in a newborn. I don't know if I'm GBS+ yet, but I've had a hard time coming across any reputable-looking info on the side-effects. Most everything I've found simply says that GBS infection can be really bad in rare cases, so everybody gets antibiotics, and that's that. Personally, I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of pumping my newborn full of antibiotics, and my midwives are frustratingly neutral on the subject. They did warn me that if I need to be transferred to the hospital for some reason (instead of giving birth in the birth center), then there would be a lot of pressure from the hospital staff to simply have the antibiotics. At the birth center, it's totally my choice.

Has anybody else been given this choice?

I would go with what the doctors recommend in this case. I don't understand though, do they give the antibiotics to everyone or just those who test positive (re: Chickalicious's post).

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

Thanks for the GBS-related feedback. I think I'll be getting tested no matter what, because I don't want to be forced to take antibiotics by the hospital should I have to get transferred and I don't know my GBS status. I'm absolutely for antibiotics, vaccination, and things in that vein when they're warranted; this isn't just a knee jerk reaction to someone trying to do something "medical" to me during birth. I've got a pretty decent grasp of the science and statistics involved, and got plenty used to reading scientific studies in college as a biology major.

I'm still in "research mode", attempting to get a balanced view, though I'm not sure the data I'm looking for even exists. What's the cumulative, long-term effect of widespread dosing of women and newborns with antibiotics? I'm worried somewhat generally about the long-term effects of antibiotic use and overuse, but also more specifically about the effects on my baby specifically if one of the first things that happens to his body is getting a big dose of penicillin. Newborn guts getting colonized by the right kinds of bacteria is a really important process, with long-term effects on immune response. So to answer the question from Bodnoirbabe and others, one of the reasons that I am even considering this is that I think categorizing the antibiotic treatment as no-risk oversimplifies the actual situation. One of the studies I've recently found shows that in babies given antibiotics at birth, GBS infection is down as you'd expect, but antibiotic-resistant E. coli infections are up significantly. Infections like that are much harder to treat than GBS, and very dangerous for newborns. I think it's also worth mentioning that some developed countries like the UK don't do routine GBS screenings.

All this researching today is starting to make my brain hurt. How about some more photos of cute, healthy babies in this thread?

I understand what you're saying. The health authorities in each country makes policy based on many factors, and my tendency is to follow their recommendations unless I have very good reason not no. I'm in Norway where there is no screening for GBS and even if a woman does have it they don't necessarily give antibiotics unless she has risk factors for passing it to the child. The health authorities are considering changing it but we'll see. We are way way more restrictive with antibiotics since MRSA is really really rare. This was a derail but my point is yes, there are downsides to routine antibiotics treatment, but there are also risks to not doing it, and the health authorities have a more complete picture of the entire situation on a population level so I'd let them take this decision for me, just like I take the vaccines that they recommend and so on.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Gumby Orgy posted:

I had someone tell me that she was sick when pregnant but, "felt so much better after about the ninth month!" :downs:

The worstbest part was she wasn't trying to make a joke.

Pregnancy is uncomfortable, a little for some, more for others. That description is pretty accurate for most common pregnancy-related things. For me it was heartburn. It sucks but it does go away once the baby is out!

Gumby Orgy posted:

Question:
I currently have zero energy for sex. I hear this changes in the second trimester?

I guess I'm just lucky that my husband has been really understanding. Sleeping for 12 hours a day certainly helps my case.

I think it's very individual. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I had very little sex drive in the second trimester, more in the third actually.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dr. Octagon posted:

Today is my due date! :toot: Too bad baby is still high, and I'm only a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced. I feel like I should've made more progress than this by now - did anyone go from zero to baby relatively quickly? I still feel pretty good, which makes me think that labor is a ways off. They want to schedule an induction for late next week if I'm still pregnant, and I'd really prefer not to be induced. It's weird how you get sort of attached to a due date, even though it's just an estimate.

I felt nothing at all up until the day labor started ;) So it can happen pretty suddenly. I was out and about, went for a walk and hung out with friends, came home and started feeling crampy, took a nap and woke up to quite regular contractions at 4 pm. Baby was born that night.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

The Young Marge posted:

Is anyone else keeping the actual birth private? I think I'd lose my mind if there were a bunch of people there watching as I deliver my kid, and can't imagine why anyone would want that. That's one of the reasons I chose a birth center over a hospital, though (I'm lucky enough to have that choice). People say you end up not caring, but I dont know about that. I think I'll have an easier time if I feel "safe" and have some privacy in a more comfortable setting.

Yeah, we were just me and my husband (and the midwives of course). I think you should do what you want, it's your choice and no one has any right to get upset over it. It's a personal choice (but also a cultural one; to me the thought of other family members being present seemed about as natural as having them there during the conception, haha).

Edit: the vision thing - I've used glasses and contacts for 15 years and there was no change during the pregnancy.

Edit two: not all hospitals have tons and tons of people there when you deliver, I think it varies. A birth center sounds nice though :)

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 13, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Boy clothes don't have to be boring

Your boy can be stylish just like mine :cool:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

I intend to be working right until they kick me out of work, which is about 10 days before due date. My job is very sedentary though; I literally just sit at my desk all day, so there's no physical labour involved, and I take breaks as and when I need to. I get fully paid 6 months off with a temp filling in my job while I'm gone, but I want as much of that 6 months as possible to be for AFTER the baby is born.

Having said that, if I end up being off earlier I expect I will spend all my days playing computer games (world of warcraft... I know, the shame!) and knitting in front of the TV. Already spending my weekends knitting up baby stuff! Husband can do the cleaning at that stage; I'll turn on dishwasher and washing machine and maybe cook an easy meal occasionally, but I doubt I'll do much more than that once hugely pregnant.

I had to start my leave 3 weeks before the baby was born (that's the rules here), which was kind of a bummer since I was more than physically able to work, and since the baby was 9 days overdue, I ended up using more than a month of my leave before he was even born :/

I played computer games at night before baby was born, I often couldn't sleep because of needing to pee and having heartburn so I sat in the dark living room at 4AM playing Diablo 2. I've never felt goonier ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lyz posted:

Thanks! It is getting gradually less aggravating, now that the kiddo is getting better at latching and my milk is coming in, but now my nipples are so chapped it's a pretty painful experience at when he first grabs on. Time to start working on pumping to give them a break.

You might already know, but: Rub some breast milk on them and let them airdry. If it's really bad try lanolin cream, but remember to let it be absorbed into the skin before putting on a bra/shirt, or the moistness could make it worse.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dr. Octagon posted:

I have a few breastfeeding questions. Whenever I feed the baby, I start off on one side and use one of those Medela shells to collect leakage from the other side. My milk has been in for 10 days now and I've been leaking about an ounce per feeding, so I've accumulated more than a half gallon of milk. What I usually do is empty it into a dated breastmilk storage bag in the fridge all day, and at the end of the day, stick the bag in the freezer. Is this wrong? Should I be keeping it in the freezer the whole day and layering the leakage from each feeding on top? I would hate to discard anything I've collected so far, but it wouldn't be the end of the world considering I haven't even pumped at all yet and we aren't planning on introducing bottles for at least another week.

Also, about when did you ladies stop the extreme leakage? Kellymom says supply regulates in 6 to 12 weeks, but I'd really like to believe that I will stop soaking absolutely everything in breastmilk before then!

My baby also seems to get really sleepy during some feedings. I've tried taking his socks and hat off, touching his belly and nudging under his chin, and even holding a cool washcloth to his forehead and/or the bottoms of his feet. Sometimes he just really doesn't want to wake up, and only a diaper change between boobs will do it. Any other tricks to keep him focused on the boob?

Your baby is super adorable :3

The way you're collecting milk is fine, like dreamcatckerkwe said.

To stimulate the baby's sucking, the midwife that helped me with breastfeeding showed me how to rub that baby's cheek, right below/next to his ear, where the jawbone starts. I rubbed pretty vigorously, and he would start sucking again. He was pretty uninterested in sucking for the first few days, so that trick helped us a lot.

As for the supply regulation, I can't really remember. Maybe a couple of months to get a lot better, but more than that to go away completely. I donated milk though, so I had an oversupply.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Oh yeah, def. try cloth nursing pads, you might prefer them over the disposable ones. I had two pairs of wool nursing pads (not itchy), and I just put them in a pot of water, turned on the heat and let them boil for a while, then left them on a kitchen towel to dry (wool doesn't shrink if you just leave it alone, it's the movement that shrinks it). Easy and hygienic!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

Some of the pregnant women I know would be appalled by how relaxed I am about all the "food rules" - I've had some wine, some seriously funky cheeses, a little raw cookie dough on occasion, I still drink coffee/tea/Coke daily, etc. But the fact is that I feel great, even at 38+ weeks preggo, my kid is growing well, and I've really enjoyed being pregnant. It's all anecdotal, but out of the women I know, that's pretty rare.

It is anectodal, but good for you that you feel good. I don't mean to be rude, but I think the "I did X and I'm fine" argument to be silly no matter what the topic. It's just not logically valid. And I ate sushi and drank coffee during pregnancy (two cups of coffee are ok if I remember correctly, and sushi is ok here, this probably varies from place to place) ;) I'd rather people get information of what guidelines apply for them, why those guidelines are there and then use common sense.

Sarsaparilla, I think it's a little unfair to call the guidelines germophobic and hypochondriac. Guidelines like this are (hopefully) based on research and a risk/benefits assessment. Oh and it's not just an American thing, we have the same general guidelines here including a recomendation to completely avoid alcohol.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

I had my baby, and he is awesome. Meet Nolan:

My husband keeps saying, "He's so little!" and I keep saying, "He's enormous! I can't believe I pushed that entire thing out of my lady parts."

The birth itself was WAY harder than I was expecting. I got to 8 cm fairly easily, but I ended up having to push for hours and hours. My midwives and husband were supportive and awesome, and eventually the little nugget came out. I had no idea I could physically work that hard or be in that much pain without just giving up or passing out. The rush of hormones immediately after Nolan was born was magnificent, though. All of a sudden, felt like a million bucks, and couldn't have cared less about how miserable I had been for the previous 18 hours. I'm still feeling pretty awesome, actually. :)

And for what it's worth, learning to hand express has been priceless. We've been having a hard time getting Nolan to breastfeed properly, so being able to feed him regardless of his sleepiness/laziness has been really nice.

Congrats, he's adorable! :) Love the name. Haha, I thought the excact same thing when people said "aaw he's so tiny". For something that just came out of a vagina newborns are pretty big

And I hear you on the pain thing. Took me by surprise too. I remember thinking "surely it's not possible to be in this much pain without passing out?". :smith:

And high five, hand expressing buddy! I hand expressed for 4-5 days before my baby would suck properly. I hope you get good help and that he figures out latching soon. For what it's worth, mine was nursing like a champ by 2 weeks. Good luck!

e: be careful with bottles though - ideally you want to cup or spoon feed him the expressed milk. some babies manage to transition from bottle to boob, but some don't because it's easier to drink from a bottle. Babies are lazy.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

The Young Marge posted:

I wanted to report that I also had my little dude, on November 9th! The great news is that he is very strong and healthy and awesome.

Congrats!

The Young Marge posted:

Despite the induction, I still had no pain meds or epidural

Ouch, jesus christ!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

-Natural flow of hormones helps mom and baby adjust.

does an epidural interfere with the "flow of hormones"? What does this mean?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I used the gas. It made me feel drunk. Later on, it did nothing for me. Jerk gas >:( Anyway, I was up and about maybe an hour later to go pee and shower, but I was wobbly on my feet.

Another thing if you don't mind answering, does the UK do spontaneous pushing or directed pushing? I want to do spontaneous pushing, where I push when my body says so but my doctor and one of the nurses had never heard of that before. But my doula has given birth in Germany and that's what she did so I'm wondering if Europe does that generally.

Isn't pushing when your body tells you to the same as pushing when you have a contraction? Isn't that when they'd tell you to push anyway? I don't understand. I had no clue when to push btw, I couldn't feel those contractions (and I didn't have an epidural or anything, what the hell, body)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Yes to your first question. Second question: From what I understand, American nurses/doctors encourage you to start pushing right away even if your body wants to take a break.

Here is what I've gathered:
During the pushing stage, you have contractions which are meant to push the baby out. You are expected to have an urge to push. But you may not have that urge if you're on pain meds and also I read a study that said many women naturally want to rest and don't feel any urge to push for up to an hour after reaching 10cm. In America, you are encouraged to start pushing right away (again, from what I understand - I've never been through this yet).

Here are some excerpts from the article I posted:

I don't know how true this is. I googled "Valsalva pushing technique" and "directed pushing" and everything I found is against these, so I don't know what advice women actually receive from their nurse/doctor. All I know is that my doctor didn't know what spontaneous pushing was and my doula said that the staff she's interacted with prefer to use directed pushing.

So if I do get an epidural, I'm going to use laboring down, barring medical problems.

If that was more info than you were looking for, my apologies. I've had a lot of fun learning about all of this. When I got pregnant, my ideas of labor and delivery came from TV and I've had to re-learn a lot.

This was very interesting, thanks!

(I'm in Norway btw). Because of my body being weird and not telling me to push, the midwife told me when to push. Then right when the head was crowning they told me to stop and then PLOP out came the baby. I pushed for 24 minutes.

I found the whole pushing thing kind of mystifying since I wasn't really feeling when to push. I was sitting in bed and they told me to lean forwards and I just wasn't coordinated enough to do it properly. In my mind, every time I pushed and the baby failed to come out, that was a total waste of time and I remember feeling like the baby would never come out. Haha. He did come out eventually.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 12, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

netally posted:

Sounds pretty chilled out. I'm a Britgoon as well, and hoping to go for the gas and air/waterbirth route. Big congratulations to you both!

I am slightly confused about birth plans. If you're not in the medical profession, how exactly do you go about writing one? My midwife is fairly useless and always rushed during appointments, and my lovely NHS antenatal classes aren't til I'm 34 weeks pregnant, which seems late to be planning this stuff. Do I just need to figure this out for myself?

You don't have to write a birth plan. If you don't have any particular wishes, I wouldn't bother.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
So sorry for your loss, Legbeard :( I hope you all get through this ok.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

The oval office Pickle posted:

My midwife group is one of those "all natural" types and doesn't want me to take any meds whatsoever and gave me hell for the Zofran so I'm afraid. :( But it's the only birthing center near here where I can have a water birth and they're awesome otherwise. My main midwife just went on maternity leave and she was awesome about it.

Thanks for the replies!

Your midwife sounds like a jerk. I don't think giving someone hell for taking a medication that was prescribed for them and that helps them function makes up for them otherwise being good. That is out of line.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I've never seen any evidence for acupuncture Doing anything like that.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Fire In The Disco posted:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/inducing-labor-naturally-can-it-be-done

Being that it was a small study, it's really hard to say that it's definitive proof that acupuncture helps labor. Really, it's hard to say that for any method of inducing labor that isn't administered by a midwife/doctor, because the woman may have been ready to go into labor anyway. But, there's at least a small chance that acupuncture can help.

I'm still pretty skeptical to be honest. Some quick googling provides several largerr studeis that show no effect. Furthermore, the study you linked doesn't seem to be blinded, while for instance this one is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2919333/

quote:

Methods
Nulliparous women at 38 weeks or greater were randomized to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) acupuncture, sham acupuncture, or usual care only groups. Acupuncture points LI4, SP6, BL32 and BL54 were needled bilaterally. The primary outcome was time from enrollment to delivery. Secondary outcomes included rates of spontaneous labor and cesarean delivery. Medical records were abstracted for maternal demographic, medical, and delivery outcome data. ANOVA, Student’s t-test, Chi-square, and Kaplan-Meier statistics were used to compare groups.

Results
89 women were enrolled and randomized. Maternal age, gestational age, prior acupuncture experience, tobacco, alcohol and drug use, gravida, and history of gynecological surgery were similar among the groups. There were no statistically significant differences among groups for time from enrollment to delivery (p=0.20), rates of spontaneous labor (p=0.66), or rates of cesarean delivery (p=0.37). Rates of maternal and neonatal outcomes were not significantly different.

Conclusion
TCM acupuncture was not effective in initiating spontaneous labor or reducing the rate of cesarean delivery compared to sham acupuncture or usual medical care.

Also, acupuncture isn't risk-free (while acupressure probably is). The risk is pretty low, but there have been people infected with stuff from dirty needles. I wouldn't presonally bother (I'd rather spend my money on something else, haha), but it's pretty harmless comparatively ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The first one. We had this:

It was great for when I needed a shower, because I put baby in it, and then put it next to the shower cabinet. When I was doing things around the house I'd just put him down on the floor on a blanket or on an activity mat.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lyz posted:

On the down side, I buy a stroller because Massachusetts was taking forever to turn to winter so I figure he's finally old enough that being out in 40 degree weather won't hurt him, and it freaking snows. I may have to go to a freaking mall or something, I'm going stir crazy.

Going to a mall is a good alternative. Getting out of the house really helps :) What kind of stroller is it? Many strollers are just fine of snow. Also, 40 degrees f is more than warm enough for a baby as long as he is well dressed and cozily wrapped in blankets and stuff. Generally, -10 C (14 F) is the low end of the spectrum; temperatures below that aren't good for a baby's tiny lungs, so if it's that cold or colder I'd keep it to short (15 minutes or less) trips.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Gravitee posted:

For those of you considering or already in daycare, do you recommend a place that's closer to your office or home? I'd really like to visit the baby during lunch but it would be more convenient for my husband if it's closer to home. It's slightly more expensive to be closer to my office but my husband is on the road a lot.

Most definitely closer to home. We didn't get a place in any of the daycares closer to home, and second choice was closer to my work. My husband works in the opposite direction. So I 'm the one who drops him off and picks him up. It may be easier if you have a car, I don't know. Dropping by during lunch doesn't happen because he's napping when I have lunch break. The whole thing is just much less flexible, because me staying late at work (or work from home, or if I'm sick) requires so much planning, and husband has to leave work early to pick kid up in time. If we had had a daycare closer to home, we'd be able to split the dropping off and picking up between us, effectively getting to see our kid more and he'd have shorter days.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Fire In The Disco posted:

I like Estelle! It means "star." :)

Hahah the Swedish crown princess just named her daughter Estelle. Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary for good measure :colbert: I guess when you don't have a last name you can go all out with the first names ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I was 9 days late. I was sick of being pregnant at the end of it ;)Especially my parents were pestering me at the end, my mother calling me like twice a day D: But the baby came without complications. My mother in law had my husband 3 weeks overdue, poor woman.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wife is 39.5 weeks now. She's feeling intense pressure and pain quite often, but no labor. Her doctor checked her yesterday and she was only 1cm dilated and the cervix was still thick. We're going in Thursday to see if she's getting any closer and if she can be induced.

I'm ready for this little girl to come out and meet me!

Ooooh you're going to have a baby soon! :3 I know the last few days seem like forever but hang in there! I went 9 days overdue and didn't really feel any closer to giving birth, but suddenly I had contractions and he was born like 8 hours later.

Not to be nosy but won't she be barely 40 weeks on Thursday? Unless there's a reason to induce, I'd personally wait at least a week past the due date, induced births can be tougher.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I just got some sour drops. Sour things in general helps for me. I think you just need to try some different ones and see what works for you. It's not a huge investment after all ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

CravingSolace posted:

Question: How soon after giving birth did you start going to the gym again? I see my doctor next month for my post-partum check up, but I've been feeling really good. Should I wait the entire six weeks, or do you think I can start working out again sooner? Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy being able to relax, but I really miss working out.

I didn't go to the gym, but I started walking as soon as I felt up to it. Walking with a stroller can be as intense as you make it ;) Just don't expect to be able to walk as fast or long as you used to at first!

You probably shouldn't lift all the heavy weights and you need to wait the 6 weeks to start training your abs, but other than that your body will tell you if you shouldn't be doing it.

e: you could also look around your neighborhood/gym to see if there are any post partum exercise groups available. My physiotherapist offers postnatal classes where you can bring the baby and they do exercises specifically for women who have given birth recently. Most physiotherapists should know what types of exercises are good/appropriate and can see that you're doing them correctly.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 8, 2012

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

randomfuss posted:

Ok You're freaking me out with the flu vaccine.

Of course here we're all vaccinated against pertussis (not mandatory but schools gets tricky if your kid is not... Like randomly sent home at any outbreak scare and quarantined).

But the flu: when I was pregnant with my 1st we had billboards saying YOU MUST VACCINATE, so I asked my OB/GYN when should I. She said:
"You're not old, athsmatic or have any health problems. I am the first doctor you see in 5y, and how did you cure your last flu?"
Me: "booze" (it was 7y ago)
So she said no shot for me, just prevention and no booze if I get sick.

I asked for a 2nd advice but doctors seemed really not interested in vaccinating pregnant me against the flu. I do have a doctor waiting to inject me with the MMR vaccine since my "R" immunity is borderline, so they're not crazy anti-vaxxers here.

Oh it's Europe.

I don't know where in Europe you are but I'm in Norway and they tell preggos to wait until 2nd trimesters to get the flu shot. Sometimes countries have different recommendations on these kinds of things. If it's a national guideline or whatever I'd not worry about it honestly.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Stairs posted:

As for induction, having done it induced and not-induced I personally didn't notice that big a difference other than induced labor coming faster and more regular. I've never really understood the dislike for inducing, you have to push the sprout out either way, so what's wrong with speeding it up a bit? As a mother of 4 I've decided natural is good, but not waking up at 3 am to drive to the hospital for a false start is better.

I've heard women say induced labor can be more intense and painful too, so it depends on the person. I'd prefer not to if I could, though I'd do it if medically necessary.

I was 9 days overdue with my son (11 days in American terms because you're not due until 40 weeks 2 days here) and labor started the same day I had sex in the morning ;) Worth a try!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Mnemosyne posted:

My mother had 4 kids; I came first with a saddle block (a local anaesthetic injected in your vaginal area), then she had the next two all natural, and then for the 4th she got induced with Pitocin. She maintains that that one was the one that really hurt.

Heh, my mother in law says the breech birth she had with her oldest was less painful than the induced birth of her middle child.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

randomfuss posted:

I can't swallow the horse pills. So I just went to the pharmacy with a list of what I ate the previous week and I was given iron+calcium+magnesium on my first pregnancy. With my second, I already had a prescription for magnesium so I got sent home with the advice "eat cheese at 4PM". And I was taking folic acid, of course. So well, it depends on what you eat. I usually had smoked fish for breakfast so I guess DHA was not an issue.

Yeah, most people don't really need all possible vitamins. I've never taken iron for either of my pregnancies since my iron levels are fine without it. Folic acid is the most important one and should always be taken though.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

It should go away definitely by the time you have the baby. ;) I wouldn't be concerned.

I had very acute sense of smell for a while post partum too :( Or maybe I just had very strong BO :smith: I distinctly remember feeling like I reeked of sweat ALL THE TIME, ugh.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

But did it make you vomit? All of my nausea went away after I gave birth. I do remember still smelling things quite strongly afterwards for awhile though.

Oh, no it didn't. I've been very lucky to have little morning sickness, even the grossest of nasty smells during the first trimester haven't made me puke :toot:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
We tried lots of different diapers until we found the cheapest ones that works for our kid ;P Pampers don't work for him at all, libero are ok but pricey. Luckily the store brand at our closest grocery store works really well and is dirt cheap, woo! I've tried cheapo store brands that didn't work well for us too, so my best advice is to try different brands until you find one you're happy with.

Also, the times we've had leaking issues we've tried going up a size which has often worked. My kid is tall and slim, and we've had to go up a size before he reaches the weight given on the package. Just something to keep in mind if you experience leaking problems down the line! Good luck :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I ended up having to supplement. The hospital I was in had the "baby friendly" certification (which I think is a bullshit designation, but whatever), and fully endorsed breastfeeding with an onsite milk bank. The nurses there, who were pretty anti-formula said that as soon as you're an "older" mother (late 20s and up), you're more likely to need supplementation, the younger mothers almost never do, and whenever you have a bigger baby (which in my area is anything 8lbs and up), you're also more likely to need to supplement. Obviously these are generalizations, but there seems to be some commonalities. They see about 7000 babies born a year, so they probably know what they're talking about in that regard.

I'm curious, what exactly do you think is "bullshit" about the baby friendly hospital initiative? You're talking about the WHO Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative, right? I think it's a good initiative personally. All hospitals in Norway have this certification and we have on of the highest rates of breastfeeding in the world (there are other reasons for this as well, but I absolutely think getting a good start is very important for breastfeeding success).

I was 28 when I gave birth btw and no one said anything about "older moms" needing to supplement more often.

Anyway, hdip, I agree with Chickalicious, I'd try to avoid a bottle if possible. My son refused to take the breast for the first days and I was told to express milk into a little cup and feed him milk directly from the cup. It worked well.