Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

MoCookies posted:

2. I'm somewhat ambivalent about this pregnancy, and it feels false to pretend that it was planned and that I'm loving over the moon about it. Obviously, that makes people uncomfortable, since they want to say "Oh, Congrats! You'll be the best parents ever, etc." I'm sure I'm not the only pregnant person that feels more overwhelmed than overjoyed. Am I really just supposed to put on a happy face?

3. I can't sleep. Insomnia ahoy. I just keep thinking about how I'm going to tell my parents, how my to-do list just keeps growing exponentially, and how I need to find/buy baby stuff I don't hate, etc. Is there something I could safely take to chill out, or is it time to brush up on my meditation skills?

2. I was more than "somewhat ambivalent" and I didn't pretend at all. Most people understand if you just respond, "It was a big surprise and I'm still getting my head around it." Sometimes I just flat out said it wasn't planned and I was completely overwhelmed. No one judged me.

3. 'Sup, insomnia buddy? Mediate, take Benadryl, enjoy a nice shower before bed, whatever helps. I found reading to be very relaxing (focused my brain on something other than worrying). My sleep schedule was complete crap during the first trimester, though. Things have settled down since. Hold out hope!

That said, tomorrow's my Down's/spina bifida blood draw and I'm feeling nervous. Do they take as much blood as the first visit (four vials)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Umm, my bra no longer fits in the cups. Do they even make maternity bras? I'm hesitant just to buy a bigger bra because (presumably) I'm only 17 weeks and haven't put on much weight. Would a nursing bra be a good choice? I like the idea of adjustable cups.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Wow. That is a lot of good advice. I cried at how comfy looking the Bravado bra seemed and I hadn't even considered a sport bra. I think I will head to Target this weekend and try on some of everything. Thanks!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
First, my Target totally sucks. They only had the Gilligan and O'Malley nursing bras, which all had underwire. I wound up ordering a bra similar to the Bravado one for $10 less online. I hope it gets here soon.

Second, since last night, I've been having pain in the cervical region (internal side). It's not constant, just like getting a sharp poke from time to time. There's no blood or discharge so I'm not particularly worried, just curious. Does this sound like standard expansion pains or has my kid found a terrible way to say hello?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Where do you guys find nice, inexpensive maternity clothes? I don't want anything fancy, just semi-fashionable and not $$$. I think others have mentioned Target, but mine sucks. A row of plain tees and a rack of capris does not a maternity section make!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Ooo, those are all good suggestions. Turns out Old Navy and Gap maternity items are on sale today, so I picked up a couple of nice shirts, a swimsuit and a dress for my graduation. Hopefully I'll be able to find some shorts at Penney's over the weekend and finally have clothes that fit again. Hurray!

Also, ChloroformSeduction, yoga pants are awesome and if I didn't live on the surface of the sun, I would never wear anything else. Instead, getting dressed is a delicate balance between naked and work-appropriate.

Never be pregnant in the summer. :(

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
First, the Bravado bra on the last page is AWESOME. Totally worth the money. Second, when is the glucose test usually done? My next appt. is at 23 weeks and no one's said anything yet. Third, my hips/lower back are killing me. Anyone have tips for dealing with/lessening the pain?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
All the talk of nursing pads is bringing out my secret shame: I'm only 22 weeks and I've started to leak. It's just a few drops so far, but I'm worried. Will it get worse the further along I get or will it just stay a few drops until the baby comes?

This is really embarrassing to ask. :blush:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Singin' the heartburn blues over here. I've passed the Tums and cruised on to Tagamet. I've found no correlation to diet, so I'm assuming this is mechanical. Are there any tips you ladies have? I'm only 25 weeks, the thought of doing this for another three months is depressing.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

McStabby posted:

Is it an all-day heartburn or only at certain times? If it's at night, you could try elevating the head end of your mattress a few inches. I'm not positive, but I think they sell little foam wedges for this. Sleeping with your head and chest elevated will help keep the acid down.

Thanks for all the help. It's not all-day (thank goodness), but late in the evening mostly. Elevating my head does help, and I'll try to scatter more small meals in. The protein idea seems particularly good as I need to increase my intake anyway.

Now, another question: how did/do you find birthing classes? My practice offers a two-class seminar. The first class is pre- through post-labor and the second is newborn care. Personally, I think it takes more than an hour to be adequately prepared, but maybe that's just me.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
This was back a page, but all the Bradley classes are full until November. Apparently, demand is higher than the number of instructors. I'll keep asking around, see what I can find.

Also, whoever recommended Old Navy for maternity clothes is awesome! Cheap (sometimes included in those 20/30% off sales they're always having), comfortable, and flattering. I feel like I hit the lottery. Thanks too to whoever said not to go overboard on maternity stuff. I'm six months and just barely stopped wearing regular (non-tee) shirts. This thread saved me a lot of money.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

bellybutton posted:

A couple of days ago, I posted about being told my little fetus likely had a heart condition.

This morning, we had our appointment at Children's Hospital in the fetal medicine department for an echocardiogram.

After, the cardiologist came in and went over each part of her heart with us. The bottom line? The baby is FINE. There is nothing wrong with her heart. He has no idea what it was that caused someone to get all worked out on the ultrasound, but at the end of the day, her little heart is perfect.

I got a TON of PMs and introduced to some pretty amazing folks in the Facebook group over the last couple of days. Thank you all SO much for your support and encouraging words. It made a difference.

So glad to hear this. I can't imagine the relief you must be feeling.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

I feel you. About a week ago it got to the point where I was having to wear a rubber band just to be able to sit down at work. I finally caved and bought maternity pants. I was really upset that at 5 1/2 weeks I had changed shape enough to not be able to wear regular pants anymore. Apparently it runs in my family. Lousy bloating.

On another question, I noticed that my heart rate for the past 6 weeks has been a steady 90-95 bpm just sitting around the house which I read is normal, but today I was clocking a measly 70 bpm while I was just resting. I read that my blood pressure can run kind of low right now and I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it? Aside from the nausea, righteous boob pain, mood swings and exhaustion I feel pretty normal. Has anyone else had experience with this?

See, this was the worst part of the first trimester for me. It seems grossly unfair for your pants not to fit before you've gained any weight.

My blood pressure runs low all the time and it hasn't been a problem so far (28 weeks). Feel free to call the nurse, but if you're not dizzy or feeling light-headed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Question for those of you who have already had your babies: how often do you use your changing table? (As opposed to changing on the floor/bed, I assume you change a lot of diapers in general.) Do you consider it necessary to have? If you have open shelves, do you wish you had drawers? I'm thinking about making one, rather than paying $90 for a couple of pieces of particleboard.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Thomase posted:

My wife came back from a blood test with very low iron count (anemia) and other than daily iron pills is there particular foods with higher content? Red meats? Etc? She was around 13% of what her body was supposed to have, what are the negative side effects?

Also, stroller and baby seats. Is there a particular reason baby car seats can't be bought from the states and used in canada? Atleast I haven't found a store online that has been willing to ship it over the border.

Wifes due beginning of september, we're just getting everything sorted.

Here's a handy list of iron-rich foods from the Red Cross: http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods

Taking iron supplements on a full stomach is really important. Also, when they say iron supplements "may" darken the stool or cause constipation, they mean "almost certainly will."

I really appreciate all the opinions on changing tables. I don't want to go overboard on baby stuff, but it sounds like they are worth having. I think I'll make one or buy a secondhand dresser and put a changing pad on top.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

That is one cute baby, zombie duck v2.0.

YUP. I'm in exactly the same boat. And 90% of items for boys are stupid cars or sports.

Have you looked at the Carter's line at Target or Old Navy/Baby Gap? I've found lots of cute baby clothes with sweet giraffes or turtles or other things that aren't cars or sports. (Neither of which are adorable. :colbert:)

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Spoilering this for the squeamish: This morning my left nipple really hurt. When I lifted it slightly to examine it, a nasty pus-like liquid gushed out. Now, it still hurts, but there are no other signs of inflammation. Google suggests a clogged duct, does this sound right to you ladies? Also, the biggest treatment seems to be nursing, but my little punk isn't even born yet! Any other ideas to clear this up?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Janelle posted:

Get to your ob. That was the first question my ob asked when I called for my mastitis. You need antibiotics to clear it up. She might recommend a breast pump. Sorry for your pain. :( That crap hurts.

Hot compresses and warm showers helped me a great deal.

Awesome. :suicide: I was just at the doctor's last Friday; why couldn't this have happened then? The hot shower and compress were surprisingly helpful though; thanks for the tip.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Is it too early to switch to a maternity bra? My breasts, when no in bra feel just fine, a bit tender, but nothing horrible. I'd say less than even PMS. But if I've been wearing a normal under wire bra all day, by the end they are killing me at the slightest touch!

Bit late to the party, but Bravado also makes a "basics" line for Target that's around $20-25. I just picked up one similar to the Silk seamless (which I also own and is awesome) but less structured. I really like it and it's great for late pregnancy when your band size, cup size, and sensitivity seem to fluctuate by the minute.

In other news, I can't decide if I want to have this baby NOW or never at all. I'm hoping that when the time comes, I'll just want the whole drat thing over with.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

Just got back from the hospital with heavy bleeding--the baby is still fine and at the right age and its heart is beating, but part of the placenta detached. I guess all I can do is lie flat and wait to find out which way it's going to go. The bleeding seems to have at least slowed greatly now, but we're still so scared.

So sorry to hear this. May I ask how far along you are?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

My goal is to stop around 12 months, we're at nearly 8 months now. I honestly just want my body back, as in I'd love to get rip-roaring drunk one more time! Our goal is to have another kid when my first is around 2 years old, which means I have maybe a 6 month window of time for grandma to babysit a few times and momma to have some fun! I know that sounds immature, but I've been breastfeeding on demand for nearly 8 months and I could use a break.

I honestly never thought I could go this long but here I am, so I could see people going a few years. My mother-in-law loves to tell the story about how my husband just refused the boob one day, so self-weaning is possible.

I think that sounds reasonable. There's nothing wrong with wanting to (responsibly) blow off some steam, particularly between babies. You sound like a good mom, you're allowed to have your own life as well.

Also, I am heartily recommending swimming to very pregnant women. I am so much more comfortable now and it somehow seems easier to swim now at ~35 weeks than it did back at 25.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My husband and I have been discussing after-birth care. It was going to be my husband and me for the first two weeks, then my mother for a week, and my MIL for a week. This seemed perfect, since I have to go back to class two weeks after birth and leaving a two-week-old with a sitter seems wrong.

However, my MIL doesn't want to come help. She feels too old to care for a newborn. Okay, I appreciate her being upfront with her feelings. But then my husband tells me his entire family wants to come for part of the time his mother was scheduled for instead. My husband will have exhausted his vacation time, so it would just be me w/his family, and the baby, and school.

To me, this says "Bad Idea" in flashing red lights with sirens. Am I being unreasonable? My husband is willing to back me, but he seems to think I'm a bit nuts.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks to Fire in the Disco and MoCookies for their advice on after-birth care and visitors. I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm saying no. I understand they're excited to see the baby, but I just don't think we'll be settled into a routine by three weeks. They can come down a few weeks later when I've (hopefully) figured out how to balance the baby with life and school.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I'm 37 weeks and 90% effaced and 2.5 cm dilated, so whoo for me. I have no idea what station the baby is at, other than "wow, he's really low." We still haven't packed a bag yet and I'm trying to remember what should go in it. Right now:

Basic toiletries
Change of clothes for everyone
Chapstick
Water bottle
A couple of granola bars
Ipod
Camera
Lotion
Aromatherapy stuff

I'm sure I'm missing something, what do you guys recommend?

Also, if you have stories about how you were 2.5 cm at 37 weeks and went on to have the baby the next week, that would be pretty awesome. I'm worried I'll be stalled here until at least my due date. :sigh:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Revenant77 posted:

You're probably including it with your change of clothes but extra socks! And don't forget extra batteries for your camera. Hang in there, you're almost there!

Of course I remembered socks. Who forgets socks? *quietly slips socks into bag*

Bamzilla posted:

large fluffy towels
A boppy, and a nightgown/oversized shirt with buttons down the front or a low scoop neck if you plan on breastfeeding.

I had not even thought of bringing the boppy. I bet it would make a nice pillow/neck support during labor too. Anything has to be better than those fake hospital pillows.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

iPod charger

I've never done the whole baby having thing, but there's nothing like settling in to kill time with your ipod and then suddenly it goes gently caress YOU 2% BATTERY :dies:

Charger added. I don't know how much good it will do, they don't like you stealing their outlets. (The nurse who gave the tour explained it was really a stupid cost-cutting measure and most of the nurses couldn't care less if you used an outlet or two.)

Panne posted:

Bags of snacks like nuts and dried fruits were a godsend to me. Easy energy!

Edit: And speaking of dried fruits, there is a reason many hospitals offer prunes and other dried fruits to women having just given birth. My advice: Eat them. Eat all the prunes.

Okay, now you're just making me hungry. Also, I like prunes. I'm weird.

Idonie posted:

Books! Or an e-reader. (Yes, I know this might just be me, but my daughter slept a ton the first few days and so I had time to read.)

Also, hospital air is dry dry dry, so you might want to pick up some of that saline spray for your nose -- I think the brand name is Ocean but there are tons of cheap generics. That's the one thing I really wished I'd had; I asked the nurses and they could give me little tiny tubes of saline but nothing designed for my nose, which got so dry that it bled.

Books are a really good suggestion. I love reading and if I have any non-sleeping, non-baby care time, reading would be a nice way to pass the time.

Whew! I think I covered everyone. There was a lot of good advice that I hadn't thought of. I appreciate the attempted cheer Eglamore. Helps counter the "oh, I was at 2.5 cm for the last month" of my MIL. :gonk:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Someone please tell me the weird pregnancy dreams go away immediately after giving birth. They're really starting to freak me out. Last week I was attacked by Clifford, the big red dog, after my grandfather tried to force me to eat a Norwegian elkhound as punishment for...visiting? And that was the most normal dream in the last month by far. :(

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Bah, I'm still pregnant. Didn't there used to be a list of labor starters at the beginning of the thread? Did I miss it? I think I wouldn't be so bothered about it if the doctors hadn't hammered home the "any day now." I've been sitting at fully effaced, 2.5 cm dilated, dropped baby for two freakin' weeks!

Then I get kind of scared about the whole giving birth thing and worry I'm not up to it. So maybe another day isn't so bad. :sigh:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

People will tell you a long list of things that "worked" for them but who knows if they were going to have the baby that day anyway. Are you overdue?

Fresh pineapple is supposed to do it. Spicy foods. Sex. Walking. Waiting works for sure ;)

My first was 10 days late.
My second was 4 days late.
My third was 16 days late.

Hours away from being overdue. I like pineapple and spicy foods, so I'll start there. It will make me happy if nothing else. Sex is (sadly) out, and walking is near impossible for me. Not because of my back/hips, but my lower abs. Go figure.

Also, 16 days?!! You have to fight for anything over 41 weeks and I've never heard of anyone going over 42. You must have had a very, very chill doctor/midwife.

Edit: MoCookies :argh:. Now all I want Oreos and I have no way of getting them. I hope you're happy!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Shouldn't have stressed about the due date, baby arrived the next day. There was some trauma, so for those of you will major tearing and/or blood loss, how long did it take you to recover? What on earth did you do for the pain? Were you really able to walk for an hour a day one week postpartum?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My baby just switched to pummeling my ribs and headbutting my cervix. I was cheated. The last six weeks sucked so much. Ironically, it's not the labor/delivery/caring for a newborn that makes me want to have no more kids, it's that drat last few weeks of pregnancy.

Eternal thanks to Randomity and anythingbutbloo for the dermaplast suggestion. I am a much more comfortable and happy person. Also, anythingbutbloo, if you don't mind, how much blood did you lose? I'm trying to gauge how bad my own loss was.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

anythingbutbloo posted:

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. My husband would have a better idea, as he works in the field and was more aware of everything going on at that time than I was (he says "a lot" -- super helpful, no? :shobon:). It was enough that my doctor was called in earlier than usual during labour and, afterward, strongly recommended a blood transfusion for me. For reasons not worth going into, I really preferred to not receive blood and, after speaking with my doctor to ensure that this wasn't a terrible choice, I declined a transfusion. I was told to expect to feel "off" for several weeks. The first few days were the worst -- standing, showering, etc. really got to me fast, and I just felt extra exhausted (though I imagine some of that also had to do with just having a baby and all), but after a week or two I didn't notice it nearly as much. I also had some pretty bad baby blues for a couple weeks, so I don't imagine that helped any.

Sorry I can't offer a better comparison. The best thing for me was just taking it easy, resting as much as I could (cuddling my new baby!) and waiting it out. I was also given some iron pills, if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, I never would have known either (besides my husband's description of "gushing waterfall") if the delivery nurse hadn't told me. I was curious because they didn't transfuse me, which seemed to really confuse and piss off the postpartum nurse. I'm really glad to hear you were able to bounce back fairly quickly. I only planned a two-week maternity leave and would like to feel at least able to walk around and sit w/o a donut by then.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

starshine posted:

Congratulations on your baby, going to announce details? Squishy newborn pic? ;)

What kind of job do you work? I don't think I was able to cook myself a legitimate meal for almost two weeks, and I didn't even have any stitches or unusual blood loss. Can't imagine going back to work that soon!

I'm a grad student, so I just need to be able to attend my classes. Luckily, my mom will be here to help with the cooking/cleaning/baby-sitting when I go back. Also, sorry for the lack of baby details, I completely forgot I hadn't posted them!

Baby Brennanite was born Saturday morning. I awoke in the early morning to my water breaking. And breaking. Seriously, I could not believe how the fluid just keep coming. I showered and contractions started. My husband started freaking out when he realized they were way closer than 5 minutes apart. The intake nurse was shocked I was already 6 cm dilated by the time we reached the hospital. Four hours later, I had a baby. The delivery was a little complicated and I hemorrhaged afterwards, winding up in the OR and losing 44 oz of blood there. He, however, is perfect and adorable and very big. 8.5 lbs, 21.5 in long. Total labor: 6 hrs, which apparently is some kind of record for first-time mothers.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

The hospital told me to come in as soon as my waters broke, minus a quick shower, change of clothes and something to eat. Not only do they like to monitor you, but they want to make sure your labor is steadily progressing since any interventions are restricted by the 24 hr limit.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

yawnie posted:

You're not alone. I'm 32 weeks and I've felt like this kid was an abnormally violent kicker for the entire pregnancy. I felt his first movements at 15 weeks and by around 20 weeks, it was starting to get strong enough to keep me up at night. These days I honestly fear that he might break a rib. Some days it literally feels like he is trying to claw his way out of my cervix. I have about a gazillion friends that are also pregnant right now and they all look at me like I'm crazy when I describe how active he is - And I want to punch anybody who describes baby movements as feeling like "butterflies". It is nice to know whether he's head down or not (which he almost always is), but after a long day of violent kicks it can get pretty tiresome. I've always been very in-tune with my body too, so that may contribute to it. Anyways, all that is just to say that I feel your pain.

Ha! This was me. By the end I was shifting positions, trying to keep him from kicking the same spot in my ribs so I wouldn't start crying. It hurt so bad.

On the bright side, all that cervix kicking/clawing encouraged dilation, so maybe that will be true for you too.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Gumby Orgy posted:

I didn't know they made pregnancy spanx. Although, I didn't know maternity panties were a thing until a week ago, either.

Pregnancy spanx sound like the worst thing imaginable. Maybe a maternity corset would be worst, but I don't think they make those. Maternity panties, on the other hand, are awesome. Comfort incarnate.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Panne posted:

I would go with what the doctors recommend in this case. I don't understand though, do they give the antibiotics to everyone or just those who test positive (re: Chickalicious's post).

Those who are positive or of unknown status is standard. Also, if they can't get the antibiotics into Mom before the baby's birth, they will be administered directly to the baby after birth. The risks are minimal, but the benefits are significant.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Zulily is having a sale on Fuzzibums ($13) and HOTmilk bras ($20-25) if anyone is interested. I don't think you need an invite, but PM me w/an e-mail address if you do.

Now questions. My baby has terrible mucus globs in his nose. He screams bloody murder when I try to use the bulb syringe and becomes nigh inconsolable. Worse, the syringe seems useless on the ones that are even a little bit dry. What are some other things I can try?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
If she is dating, I want to know her secrets for getting ready and still caring for a newborn! My baby is six weeks and I didn't make it past getting dressed today. (I didn't shower though. :ssh:)

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

Holy colostrum, Batman! Seriously? Anyone else had it come in at full force around 25 weeks? I thought I had at least another month or two before I'd have to wear freaking breast pads.

'Sup, leaking buddy. :hfive: This was totally me. I finally started hand-expressing to increase comfort. Everyone was very impressed and told me how I would have no trouble feeding--then my milk didn't come in until day five. Pregnancy is indeed weird, and bodies are unpredictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

What's standard in the US for how many people in the room when you deliver? It was my partenr and I and 2 midwives when I had Connor and that seemed like pretty much all you need - is it standard to have more over there or are people talking about having no medical people at the birth?

I don't have any pictures of me and the baby immediately after birth, earliest one is of Connor taken on my mobile when he is about 3 hours old. It's not something that bothers me at all but then I'm not that fussed about photos anyway.
I had my husband, labor nurse, a resident, the doctor, NICU team, and a life flight nurse, for a total of eight people in the room for the actual birth. It was comically crowded, but I couldn't have cared less. I'm pretty private about my person (I hadn't seen a male doctor, much less a male OB/GYN since puberty), but it was more like "yeah, that's what they're for, big whoop" than "I feel so embarrassed because I am completely exposed from the waist down," even with the crowd.