Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Our 9lb 7oz whopper arrived 17 days late via caesarean after 22 hours of labour and pretty much every induction method didn't do the job. The size was a bit of a surprise as they'd had him as slightly below average to average in all of our midwife appointments and scans!

My wife and the baby have stayed in hospital a few extra days to get to grips with feeding, which is proving challenging although I gather that's not uncommon in C section. Basically baby knows where the nipple is and can even start latching on but after a couple of sucks he just gives up and either gets bored and falls asleep or gets frustrated and starts screaming into the nipple.

Otherwise, he's so lovely and chill so far! I'm surprised by how much and how well he's sleeping, aside from his first night which was a struggle for both mum and baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Nine days in with our whopper newborn and while a combo of nipple shields, pumping and formula are helping with the feeding our large infant son keeps getting trapped wind.

I'm wondering if there are times we're interpreting as him being hungry where he's actually just uncomfortable because of gas and getting confused? Normally I'll put a knuckle or a finger to his mouth and if he sucks we'll assume he wants a feed but I'm wondering if that's just happening on reflex - but then he pretty much always takes a bottle or tries to latch on to a breast if he's offered.

Also, despite not being the birthing parent I seem to be getting sympathetic baby blues. On a rational level I can see how it entirely makes sense that such a massive life change combined with sleep deprivation and a pretty traumatic birth experience would take an emotional toll, but man, I hadn't anticipated finding myself getting weepy quite so often or pretty much entirely losing my ability to concentrate on anything beyond Traitors on TV. My wife is being so amazing and I feel like we're making a conscious effort to emotionally check in with each other, which really helps, and I want to be able to support her effectively (which she tells me I am), I'm just a bit worried about going back to work at the end of next week (though luckily I'm a remote worker with a very understanding/compassionate manager).

Not really sure what I'm asking for here, just felt like I needed to get my thoughts out there .

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Wife announced formal plans for baby #2 this morning

No actual progress, just... Apparently this is a thing she's decided to do

How long is it since baby #1? My wife has already said she definitely wants to do it again (in spite of difficult labour, caesarean etc), I think we'll definitely be giving it a couple of years though!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Just wanted to thank everyone for the words of support and reassurance it definitely helps to know it gets better and it's not uncommon to feel like I have been. It feels ridiculous to say but I feel like while on one level I knew having a baby would be a massive, life-changing experience, we weren't prepared for how it would make us feel - I don't think anything in my life so far compares. I'm so excited to see how the little guy changes and grows as time passes though and to get to know the person he'll become.