Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Let your husband make the list. If something doesn't get done, or it gets done not quite right, it's not the end of the world. Make him responsible for your share of the household stuff, including planning what household stuff needs to be done, until you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

nyerf posted:

lasered at the paed dentist

I agree with all of this except if your baby is tongue-tied please see if it's clippable before jumping right to the laser. A lot of folks seem to be pushing the laser right now (the dentists certainly are) but it's a way longer and more painful healing process for little people, and there is some thought that it involves more risk to the surrounding structures, as well. For a posterior tongue tie or a lip tie, the laser is the only option in many cases, but for a simple anterior tongue tie a quick frenectomy is all that's needed and it's much easier on all concerned. (Cheaper, too.)

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
There's a risk of reattachment regardless of the method.

Maybe they do the laser differently here? There are two paediatric dentists who do it in my city, and I've generally found the healing time to be 1-2 weeks with a fussy baby. With clipped ties, I generally find the baby's pretty well back to normal the next day. I've had babies actually lose quite a bit of weight after the laser because their little mouths are too sore to feed properly. Maybe we just don't have good paediatric dentists here, although I live in a major city, so that would be surprising.

The folic acid supplementation question is an interesting one. Tongue tie is a subject of robust debate where I am right now and there are lots of controversies. Is it caused by folic acid supplementation, or are we just detecting more of them because we're looking for more of them? (The SOGC guidelines on folic acid have changed recently and now recommend less folic acid, so maybe we'll see in a couple of years.) When should tongue ties be released, and when should they be left alone? If you ask two neonatal care providers you'll get three opinions.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, if you have anything but an uncomplicated anterior tongue tie in a young newborn, which is the most common case, you will probably need the laser. There are some paediatricians at our children's hospital who will do it as a day procedure, but mostly for more complex cases like older babies, tissue regrowth requiring a second procedure, or really complex procedures. But the dentists in town (who charge ~$300 out of pocket, as opposed to clipping, which is covered by provincial healthcare) are really aggressively promoting the laser for everybody, which frankly makes me pretty mad. I think it's sleazy to charge someone $300 for a procedure with extensive aftercare and a possibly elevated risk of complications when the problem could be solved by a 2 mm snip with surgical scissors for free.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

E-Money posted:

Source please? You're the first person to say anything about a longer/more painful recovery and we're taking baby to the pediatric dentist this weekend.

I don't have research evidence to provide; my opinion is based on what I've seen in my clinical practice. It's also NOT medical advice, because I'm not treating your baby, but a recommendation to talk to your care provider about all the options available. I'm not aware of any research that's been done comparing the two procedures and can't make any statements about which is objectively better overall, but I'm a big believer in starting small and working one's way up when it comes to procedures.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

What's the percentage of newborns with a tongue tie or lip tie?

Between 4% and 10% of babies have some kind of tongue tie, so it's very common.

We do screen all babies for tongue tie as part of the newborn physical assessment, but there aren't firm diagnostic criteria, which means that what one person thinks is a tongue tie another might see as normal. There also isn't a universal consensus on how to manage a tongue tie when one is identified. For example, I would say the most commonly-used criterion for diagnosing ankyloglossia is that the baby can't extend the tongue past the gumline, but I've seen babies who can't do that and feed beautifully, and I've seen babies who can but are too tongue-tied to latch appropriately.

Here is the Canadian Paediatric Society's statement on ankyloglossia, which is pretty much what I follow in my practice. Their recommendation is to leave it alone unless it's causing problems, and they caution that there aren't enough data to recommend the laser if a tongue tie does need to be released.

Don't listen to a stranger from the internet when making medical decisions for yourself or your baby. Find a good care provider who has expert training in lactation and get their advice in person.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Oh yeah if I were in a community where the docs doing frenectomies had crappy stats I too would probably go for the laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Kerafyrm posted:

He was born at 1pm on 12/16 after about 12 hours of labor! They ended up needing to induce contractions with Cytotec since I wasn't having any contractions after 12 hours from my water breaking; it took two doses to get labor underway. Serious business contractions sucked a lot. Got an epidural at about 6cm and he was born a few hours later after. Only trouble he gave us was toward the end when the cord was getting crimped when I laid on my right side, so we had to deliver mostly on my left side and with my right side thus only half-numbed by the epidural.

But he's gorgeous, healthy, and has a incredible head of hair :)

What a cutie!! Congratulations.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Friggen hormones. Decorating cookies and listening to a Christmas playlist with 'do you hear what I hear' and the line 'a child, a child, shivers in the cold' made me burst into tears

I confess that line makes me giggle, because it's followed by "Let us bring him silver and gold" and my immediate reaction is always, "...or a BLANKET. Try a BLANKET." I do mist up pretty bad these days at the Céline Dion version of "Noël Blanc" when she sings "Je revois tes yeux clairs, Maman/et je songe à d'autres Noëls blancs." drat you, estrogen!!!