Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Oh good. I've been wondering about that irc channel.

Do you think we should add something in the OP about baby registry essentials/suggestions? In the last thread, a few people asked about strollers, car seats, and wraps/carriers. I know I asked for some goon recommendations in that department.

Also: latching techniques and tips on how to soothe your aching nips?

Edit: wanted to mention http://babyli.st/ which is a pretty neat registry that allows you to add from any store. Best of all, it is free. :eng101:

foxatee fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Ugh.
Will someone please give me a better description of what a Braxton Hicks contraction feels like? My belly is like a drat rock right now. No matter what position I'm in or if I get up and walk around, it's a ROCK. I'm at 33 weeks.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Fire In The Disco posted:

Is it like that, like all the time? Or does it come and go? If it comes and goes, that is a Braxton Hicks. If it's like that nonstop, then I don't know, and I might be worried myself in that situation.

This just started over an hour ago. It's been hard non-stop since then.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Braxton Hicks come and go and will usually chill out if you change positions, walk around, etc. They CAN hurt, but you feel it more at the front and/or top of your stomach. I went to L&D twice when my stomach stayed hard like that for a few hours. If it's rock hard like, say, your forehead for an extended period of time I'd call and see if they want to check it out. Make sure you're really well-hydrated too.

I've tried walking around. I tried laying down. I drink water all the live long day, so I'm not sure how I can be dehydrated. I wouldn't be surprised to learn I drink more than 8 glasses a day. However, I do feel this hardening more on the top and front of my stomach.

Does it matter that I can feel her pushing against my belly? I'm probably fine, right?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Mr-Spain posted:

Wife had to have a C-Section and lost lots of blood, but she is OK now and I've got a brand new 22" 10lb 2oz baby boy.

He is my man-child and we are going by Nutrition Depot on the way home for some Creatine and then we're going to order some P90-X vids from Amazon and he will crush everyone. BOOM!

Get a goddamn swolePT program! :goonygoongoon:

Seriously, congrats on your gigantor baby. Your wife is a trooper for carrying that sucker around. drat.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Congrats, SAKU loving KOIVU! Your baby is making you monies? That is the best type of baby, imo. My husband is part Irish-- can I get in on this action, too? (kidding)

I had yet another doctor's appointment today which didn't go well, I suppose. They detected some protein in my urine, and my blood pressure is up. After asking me a few questions, he's not TOO concerned, but wants to keep a closer eye on me so I'll be checking in with him every week now. Next week we go in for an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay. They're going to do some other stuff, but I don't remember what. Something about swabbing my vagoo.

Currently I'm sitting with my feet propped up since I've been having a lot of swelling lately (increase in blood pressure~), and I'm drinking lots of water (as usual. I really do miss all my sugary drinks). Doctor says if my blood pressure continues to rise, he's going to induce. I'm 34 weeks in and he says the baby feels to be about 5lbs, so he's not going to worry if I have to deliver early. But of course I'M worried.

Is there anything I can do to keep my blood pressure down? Why the hell did it go up? It's been perfect until now and I can't figure out what could be the cause. My husband is blaming Minecraft. :psyduck:

Any helpful advice? I feel completely unprepared for the arrival of this kid. We haven't even gone to the childbirth classes yet!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm guessing they're worried that you might have preeclampsia http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pre-eclampsia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx but it's one of these things where the the symptoms of preeclampsia and the general pregnancy symptoms can be confused.

That's what I figured. He mentioned hypertension, but not preeclampsia. I'm aware of the symptoms since my husband's cousin lost her baby recently that way.

The closer to complete bedrest you can get, the more likely it is that your blood pressure will stay down long enough for you to get to full term. Good luck!

But--But! The dishes! The cooking! The cleaning! The dog! Oh gawd, my apartment is going to go to hell. :gonk:
Seriously, I'm trying not to panic, but lately my emotions have been all over the place. I'm just wondering if I should be doing yoga or something to keep me calm. Also, it would be nice for someone to tell me they went through this exact thing and everything turned out fine. :unsmith:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

====

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll see if my blood pressure has gone down. Hopefully Peanut is okay in there. :ohdear:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Alright. I'm at 38 weeks and I still haven't felt any contractions. At least, if I am having them, I don't notice. The most I've gotten are menstrual-like cramps, which my doctor says is perfectly normal. Is it normal for me not to feel any contractions this late in the game? Because every time I go in for my weekly check-up, he asks if I've felt anything and I feel like such a failure for not feeling a drat thing.

Another question: can anyone tell me the difference between a sports bra and a sleep nursing bra?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I read a few places that the best thing to do is allow the baby to become drowsy in your arms, but not let them fall completely asleep there because they will become dependent on you for sleep. BUT I'm not a parent just yet, so I have no real world experience with this advice.

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for reassuring me that I'm normal. I'm pretty drat sick of being pregnant and just want this kid out already. To go from an active student to someone who isn't even allowed to do the loving dishes is frustrating as hell. (I still do the dishes when he isn't home, but woe is me if I'm doing anything remotely physical when he is. I'M NOT A drat FLOWER! :argh:)

C'mon, baby girl, hurry it up already. :(

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I know I read that some women can develop diarrhea towards the end of their pregnancy, but what about nausea? For the past two days I've woken up feeling awful. Is this something I should be concerned about? Shall I email my doctor or just wait until my appointment on Wednesday? I'm 39 weeks along.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

As far as I know, the glucose test is standard procedure.

Okay, enough about you people. I have a brand new baby! :neckbeard:

Meet Amelia Irene. She made her appearance at 5:41 p.m. on April 20 (:420:) after two hours of active labor. My husband was a real trooper throughout the whole thing and managed not to pass out in the delivery room. I'm very proud of him. We've been having a hell of a time figuring out how to be parents. My mother has been fantastic with helping out and lending me a hand when I need a rest. I think the only down side of having her around is she's not too supportive of my decision to breastfeed. :( Apparently when she was pregnant, she never bothered trying because she was told it was difficult. Of course, I'm having tons of problems feeding little Peanut, but I'm hanging in there and taking all the advice I've read here (as well as the advice of the lactation consultants at the hospital). We went ahead and rented a breast pump, which will hopefully help. In the meantime, we're supplementing with formula until my body gets things going. With luck, things will get easier when my milk comes in. She's just having so many problems latching with my little nipples. :(

I did have a question, though: How long did it take for you to heal up after delivery? Is there anything that helped you along?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

bamzilla posted:

Just want to throw out there that supplementing can mess with your supply because you're not breastfeeding on demand to maintain. We had to supplement because I did not respond to the pump while I was at work, or any other time. My supply tanked pretty much when I went to work and couldn't BF on demand or pump worth poo poo - and I already had issues.

Edited to clarify that I mean supplementing with formula, not pumped milk.

I didn't know this was a possibility.

This is basically what we're doing now: As of last night, my milk finally started coming in (exciting!). Before that, we were using the pump to at least get some stimulation and produce colostrum. I had very little progress, but knew not to expect much to come out. What did come out we fed to Peanut using a syringe (a suggestion given by one of the nurses). When that petered out, we switched to formula. But again, my milk has now come in, so we've stopped giving her formula and are feeding her exclusively breast milk. I'm not working right now, and don't plan on going back to school until June/July. I hope nothing changes too much when this happens.

Good googly moogly, my boobs hurt.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

A few things:
1) My mom has apparently been giving Peanut a pacifier on a regular basis. Although I'm not completely against the use of a pacifier in times of great duress, I didn't want to use them to avoid nipple confusion. Now that Peanut's been thoroughly exposed to them, does anyone know if pacifiers such as the Binky brand actually work as advertised? Should I just start weaning her off them, or am I over-reacting?

2) How can I keep the babe from scratching her face? We have several pairs of mittens, but the mittens-- they do nothing! Currently I have her in one of her long-sleeved outfits with a pair of socks over her hands and cuffs. This seems to be working, but I can't dress her like this forever. Help!

3) Nursing pads. Any preferences?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks for all the replies.

Peanut is still struggling with latching properly; it's still a work in progress. I don't know if that makes a difference regarding potential problem with the pacifier.

Edit: stupid phone.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 27, 2011

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Well, Peanut is still having problems latching onto these tiny nips of mine, so I took the advice of my LC and started using a nipple shield. So far this has been a wonderful solution. We've had three successful feedings.:) I know some don't really consider this to be a great substitution, but I'm happy with the decision. So long as she's getting what she needs, it's all good.

Question: I hear two different things-- let her finish one side, then switch, or feed for 15 to 20 minutes on each breast. Which is it? I'm so confused.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I've heard great things about nipple shields for those who need them, including people who use them up through the first 3, 4, even 5 months before weaning off of them.

How is your supply? Do you overproduce? Underproduce? For the most part, leaving on one side is preferable because the fattier, more filling, more nutrient rich hindmilk is "behind" the waterier foremilk. There are a few exceptions to staying on one side, like if you don't produce much milk and the baby is fussing for more, and you know more isn't flowing.

I guess I have a good supply. At least, I'm told I do (about five to six ounces when I pump, anyway). Although last night Peanut managed to suck me dry. That ended up being a little painful and I didn't realize she was just suckling at first. I hope that doesn't happen again. She was pretty frustrated with me two hours later and I had to give her a bottle. :(

I need to find some way to soothe my aching nipples. I'll have to ask my LC about it, but holy crap it can really hurt when the little one is nursing. I get little sharp pains afterward which make me worry about thrush. Fortunately, the pain is only annoying and not unbearable. I do still check Peanut's mouth for any signs of infection (the pediatrician saw nothing) just to be on the safe side.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Let them air dry and apply lanolin. Cooling packs can help a lot too; there are gel ones that are made to go in the fridge and then you just tuck one into your bra.

I'll have to look into these gel packs. I've been using an ice pack and that lessens the pain a great deal. I have been letting them air dry and whatnot (again with the fear of thrush), but the ice pack seems to be the only thing that makes the pain go away.

peanut posted:

My nurses said 15 minutes a side. And to start on the side with the lower supply.
Yeah, see, this is what some of the nurses suggested. I had two different LCs visit me in the hospital; one said 15-20 minutes a side, the other said to let her nurse for as long as she wanted on one side. Again, very confusing for me. At the moment, I'm just letting her feed on one side. She usually ends up falling asleep, so I assume she's good with this practice.

I just wanted to say: Thank all the gods that ever were for the side-lying position. I've actually been able to snooze!

Oh, I remembered a question I wanted to ask. How can I keep this little bundle of joy from pooping on me? She almost always manages to poop while I'm changing her. The first couple of times, I was completely unprepared for it and she got it everywhere! I've started to put a fresh diaper underneath her dirty diaper in the hopes that I can catch it. So far this has sorta worked if I'm quick enough. Any other pointers? Why does it seem like she manages to hold it in until just the right moment? And why is it always me? :(

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

chknflvrdramen posted:

Some of the best parenting advice I ever received: When you think she's done pooping, always wait 5 minutes before you change her. Unless the diaper has already leaked.

Dood, that doesn't work! We've tried that so many times, thinking we were outsmarting her. But no! She's totally onto us. Sneaky little thing~

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Speaking of wraps and whatnot-- living in Houston in the summer, it gets pretty drat hot. Today it is 90 degrees with a low of 70. What would be the best type of carrier? Keep in mind I gotta get something my husband will use, as well.

In other news, little peanut nursed without the shield last night! Woo!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

But you're never truly prepared. Especially for things like projectile pooping and middle-of-the-night screamfests.

Oh man, this. They need to teach you how to catch that before it happens. I never felt more like an idiot new parent.

I think the most I got out of our class was the different pain medications, what was in them, and what side effects I could expect. It made it a lot easier to choose the epidural. I'll also echo what others have said before, which is my husband got more out of the class than I. It really helped him get an idea of what to expect and what his role was in the delivery room.

Question!

When did you give your newborn his/her first tub bath? Peanut's cord stump fell off about a week ago, but still had some goo, so we waited for that to dry up. Now that seems cleaned up, but we're still worried because her belly button continues to protrude outward. Is it safe to bathe her now? Our pediatrician only mentioned the stump falling off, so we are unsure of the timing.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It's fine, Connor is the same and has been since about 6 weeks. Longest sleep so far has been 11 hours but 9 hours a night is about average for him. He feeds more and doesn't really take any significant naps during the day.

You mean this might happen to Peanut?! O Blessed Sleep, how I miss thee.

Another question: Peanut has been working really hard on her latching. I'm really proud of both of us. We've stumbled upon a problem, though. When she unlatches, she will chomp down on my nipple and pull. Needless to say, this loving hurts! Any ideas on how I can make her stop?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Chicken and bellybutton: WOOOO~ Congrats to both of you!

Wafer: If they were friends or family, I'd worry about using the name. But they're just neighbors, so nuts to them. It could be worse. My sister confided to a friend of hers that she wanted to name her future daughter Serena Rae. Take a wild guess what name her friend used for her daughter when she became pregnant? Apparently this was a deal-breaker as they are no longer friends.

Uziel: the only things that helped me with my snoring were sleeping on my side or sleeping elevated, but my snoring wasn't as bad as you describe.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I need an opinion on something. Amelia has grown out of some of her clothes. So far I've just kept them stored away in a drawer because... well, I guess I just don't want to get rid of any physical evidence of when she was a tiny, cute baby. Although I know of someone who could use the garments, I still can't make myself give away the garments. Is this selfish? Has anyone else gone through this?

Now a question: my husband snores loudly. He snores so loud that he often startles Amelia awake. We've tried nasal strips, elevating, and switching his sleep position but nothing helps. Anything else we could try? I'm tired of having to put her back to sleep-- especially since nothing wakes him so it's always me. Please help me, goons. I don't want to kill my husband. :(

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel so awful for hanging onto her stuff. :)

Kristin: my OB/GYN told me I could take tylenol (acetaminophen) to combat the crampy feelings.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Problem! I'd post pictures to show exactly how bad this has gotten, but I'm posting from my phone. Whatever, my problem is Amelia has started sucking on my arms. We've tried giving her a pacifier, but she refuses it after a few seconds. Is she teething already? She's only 2+ months! What can I do?!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Randomity posted:

Are your arms covered in hickeys?

Good lord, yes! They hurt. :(

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Any suggestions on a chew toy (ha!) for my 11 week old?

Edit: whoops. Fat fingers on phone.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 5, 2011

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

FretforyourLatte posted:

My daughter's name is Claire, and when she was born someone asked me if she was named after Claire Huxtable. Really, how long ago was the Cosby Show even on?

Hahaha! Wut?

Man, go with the name. By the time your child is old enough to care about her name, nobody is going to give a poo poo about the Beckhams. Besides, a lot of other celebrities have used the name, as well.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Adios, suckers! We're off to the parenting thread!

Thanks for all the advice. Good luck to everyone. Here's a picture:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

On friday I'll be 12 weeks and announcing on my facebook that I'm pregnant. Any funny, not sentimental, cheesy, or weepy statuses you can suggest for myself and for my husband?

Also, I am having an odd reaction to buying baby stuff. I know I will need a lot, but I haven't bought anything yet. Not even a book. I just have this feeling that if I start, I wont stop. I'm also really nervous about how much stuff there is and that I'll choose the wrong stuff, the wrong brand, the wrong fabric, etc, etc. Baby stuff seems like a huge minefield to navigate. Anyone else feel this way?

I didn't realize I was pregnant and thought I was just having pains in my abdomen. My friends encouraged me to see my doctor. My mom encouraged me to pee on a stick. After we confirmed the pregnancy with the doc, I posted it on Facebook as such (paraphrasing): "Went to the doctor today. Turns out I have a parasite growing in my belly. According to the doctor, it's a common occurrence among women, and should go away in roughly nine months."

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

We discussed this a couple pages back, I believe. Basically, it isn't necessary, and it's a bit creepy, but whatever rocks your socks.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. It's as simple as that. We got the 3D/4D images and a few 5-second avi videos on a disc. The videos were pretty cool because she was a mover and a shaker, but the still images creeped us right the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

They just had me on bedrest and monitored my blood pressure. Since my mom has her own monitor, it was easy for me to keep track of it.