Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So we're expecting in April and trying to figure out what the hell we actually need. Of course it seems like everyone on the Internet either explicitly wants to sell you stuff, or is being quietly paid to talk about how great Product X is, so it's kind of hard to tell what's worth getting and what's not. Any thoughts are appreciated:

• Bassinet vs crib. Bassinet seems like a short-term thing but I guess it's nice to have the newborn right at the bedside?
  • Are the automatic baby swings worthwhile? I see some that look like a traditional swing while others kind of swivel
  • Get a carseat+stroller system so you don't have to transfer them when they're asleep, or no? Are those Doona things any good?
  • I see a lot of stuff about cloth diapers in the first page of the thread, are those still generally considered worth the fuss?
  • Diaper bags: I looked at some in the baby store and wasn't convinced they offer a lot over a regular backpack, except that they have things sewn in specifically to hold bottles
  • Speaking of bottles, what's the deal with those bottle drying things that look like a patch of green grass, and why not just use a rack?
  • What's a baby monitor that doesn't blast everything that happens in the nursery to some poorly-secured Chinese server farm? As a computer toucher I know it's possible to send video from one device to another across the local network only, but if you just shove it to the cloud it's easier to do an app and as we all know, apps are good!!!

If there's an Inspect Your Gadgets thread about baby gear that I should've posted in instead, my bad!

I'm the oldest of 4 and I remember my mom always kept things pretty drat minimal: cloth diapers (just a square of absorbent cloth folded and pinned, nothing fitted), hand-washing bottles, no bassinet, no baby monitor, no stroller. I'm a soft and lazy man, so I'll probably want more conveniences, but I also think there's a lot of stuff out there you don't really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

36 is where fertility begins going down but it's not really until 39 when it starts dropping off fast. PShe can get blood tests and other diagnostics to figure out her fertility level. Assuming no issues sounds like you guys have at least six more years to do family planning. There's rarely ever a perfect time to have kids though. And 9 months is a long time to get your poo poo together. We bought a house and moved before ours arrived

This is a good idea for anyone. For instance some women can get pregnant but need supplemental progesterone until the placenta is formed or they're likely to have a miscarriage. Honestly if I have a girl I'm gonna suggest she get screened for all that sort of stuff when she's like 18... doctors are all too happy to say "irregular periods? huh, weird, anyway birth control will fix the symptoms, next patient!" and then you don't find out the underlying problem until you try to have kids 10 years later.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So what's the story with getting insurance reimbursement for a breast pump in California? My wife was looking at https://health.babylist.com/ but there's so much scamminess around "company promises they'll work with insurance/Medicare to get your health devices" that I wanted to check in with people who've actually done it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm sure they cost a bajillion dollars in the US but going to a post-partum center for 2 weeks after 4 days in the hospital was great for my wife and gave us time to prepare for the entire going home process. It would have been nicer before the covid protocols (no family was allowed in, most mommy extracurriculars. we're cancelled) but they helped teach my wife how to feed, how to pump, how to swaddle, how to give the baby a bath, everything. Although by the end of two weeks we had only had the baby in the room twice - instead they have a camera set up in the nursery for you to watch them on tv. Absolutely worth it to pay for peace of mind.

hang on you spent 2 weeks in the hospital after birth and only got to see the baby twice in that time?

we've been working toward this baby for years now... forget US healthcare costs, they couldn't pay me to put up with that poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

remigious posted:

Pregnancy Megathread II: I got to stick the qtip up my own butt for the gbs test.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What do y'all wish you had known or thought to do or buy in advance before the first child arrived?

Wish we'd taken better inventory of our actual newborn outfits before we got him home. "Oh he'll be wearing 3mo clothes before you know it, newborn clothes are such a waste" they say... yes sure but it's day 2 home from the hospital and I didn't angle his penis right at the last change, he's soaked his outfit, and a trip to the dresser reveals that actually we only have like 1 more thing that fits him. At least grab a pack or two of the cheap plain white Gerber onesies, and a few of those long-sleeve ones with a zipper.

Swaddling is great when you can do it right and the baby cooperates, but for other times, sleep sacks and the velcro swaddles are really drat good. Plus, they're so cuddly when they're in the sleep sack.

One thing we didn't expect / know about during delivery: labor shakes. My wife was shaking uncontrollably on and off throughout her labor and for a few hours after delivery. Disconcerting at first, then just annoying for her.

A trick we picked up from somewhere that the nurse didn't know: if you put a warm washcloth on the baby's belly, he'll often urinate (if he's ready to otherwise), potentially saving you a face full when you open the diaper. (It's kind of a hassle though so I've been rolling the dice more often lately)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EVG posted:

I'm assuming that working for a company with less than 50 employees I'm SOL re: FMLA?

Unless you're in California, where the FMLA is superceded by the CFRA, which among other things reduces that 50 employee limit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TheKevman posted:

The wife is starting to have what she has described as period cramps down near her pubic bone and lower back pain which sound like they're typically associated with cervical dilation, so that's exciting :dance:

m'wife spent over a week at 4cm dilation so you might not want to put your shoes on just yet

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We've been very pleased with the Nuna Pipa carseat and the Triv stroller, but they're on the pricier end. I was pushing for the Chicco Keyfit but we found sales on the Nuna stuff. If you're in the US, it seems like there's not a hell of a lot of options for looking at these things in person, but Target usually has the cheaper ones and Nordstroms has the fancier poo poo. As another poster said, highly recommend getting hands-on with your stroller. We liked the Triv for how easy it is to fold / unfold, while we hated the same company's Tavo model.

Seconding the Halo and Love to Dream swaddles; I was good at blanket swaddling for the first day at the hospital and then somehow I totally lost it and have rarely been able to execute a good one since.

We got the Halo Bassinest swiveling bassinet which has been really convenient. It's set up right next to the bed and when we swivel it one way it overhangs the mattress in easy reach, but then we can swing it around the other way to more easily pick him up. I can't imagine that the sliding kind would be as easy.

More generally, there is a ton of poo poo out there for babies and you really don't need most of it. Ours just hit two months, here's a list of what I consider "wouldn't go without" items:

• Bassinet (we got a hand-me-down crib but he hasn't used it)
  • Changing pad
  • Swaddles/sleep sacks
  • Zip-up onesies
  • Diaper pail (we have the Dekor Plus and it's good, you can use regular trash bags in it if you like)
  • Breast pump (Spectra S2, it's pretty good)
  • Milk storage stuff: we use little plastic bottles in the fridge (I'd rather have glass but haven't gone looking yet) and a combination of 50mL lab conicals & the plastic milk storage bags for the freezer.
  • Bottles (Philips Avent glass bottles)
  • That weird "grass" drying rack that everyone has, and a bottle brush
  • Diaper bag (some thing off Amazon, make sure you get a wipe-down foldable changing pad too)
  • Tula Explorer carrier (hand-me-down from a relative and it's been really good)
  • Bathtub and knee pad (ours are whale-themed hand-me-downs, Fisher-Price I think)

We also have a Philips electric bottle warmer which can absolutely be replaced with a $10 electric kettle and pyrex bowl/measuring cup, and a "Tommee Tippee" travel warmer which is basically a thermos with a big plastic cover that you can pour the hot water into for warming bottles when you're out and about. Neither were particularly expensive, neither is critical but goddamn if they're not convenient.

Hadlock posted:

i really liked the kikaroo peanut changing pad. my daughter is coming up on 3 and we're still using it every day (finally potty training).

we have one of these (another hand-me-down) and yeah it owns.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of expensive poo poo, has anybody here had IVF embryos transferred to another state? We're contemplating a move but we've got a bunch of frosty blastocysts at a local clinic waiting for their shot to be kid #2, and man it would suck having to come back again for the interminable prep+transfer process.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone else agonizing over whether to have another kid? It would be our third. I am so, so torn. I feel like I would absolutely want a third if we had endless money. Alas, we do not, and I don’t know how to make this wrenching decision. (Also we have two boys and desperately want a girl, so that’s for sure part of it, but if we decide to try for a third obviously I will have to be okay with the possibility of ending up with three boys.)

Apologies if this isn’t appropriate for this thread, for some reason it feels like it belongs here more than the parenting thread.

You can pick boy or girl if you do IVF, at least in the US--provided of course that you got both male and female embryos. If you're not willing to do that, well, I'll just gesture to all the families of 100 years ago that had 7 girls followed by a final boy and point out that, statistically, you have a 50/50 chance of having a boy this time too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Aggro posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S47SXP3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My wife and I use this little gadget to cut the baby’s nails while she’s eating or otherwise distracted. It works great and is super safe.

We have the same thing, it works well enough for the price. The first thing I did was just jam it against my skin in various ways to make sure it couldn't cause any pain, and it passed the test. Only trick is to apply it such that the wheel is rotating down onto the nail, not up, or else the nail will "skitter".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyallm posted:

Any thoughts on this baby brezza bottle washer ? Seems expensive but I keep hearing all the horror stories of bottle washing

https://babybrezza.com/products/bottle-washer-pro

A friend got me a Baby Brezza sterilizer. It looks like it holds about the same number of bottles as that washer. Here's what I'd say:

• It's not too bad to load with just bottles, except the square Hegen bottles hang weirdly
  • Loading anything except bottles (e.g. breast pump components) is a pain in the rear end because it's actually super cramped inside and you can't really put anything in the top rack except nipples.
  • It's finicky about how much water you put in. If you don't pour in enough, it'll get halfway through the process and then stop to yell at you.
  • It takes up a shitload of space on the counter

We use it occasionally. For actual day to day washing, we just toss the bottles into a steel bowl in the sink and then once or twice a day go in and wash them all by hand. A $2 bottle brush and hot water is all you need for the bottles themselves. For everything else, I use half a dish sponge (the smaller size makes it more versatile) that I dedicate to bottles, plus a smaller brush for getting inside the nipple tips.

IMO spend the money on a good breast pump instead.

edit: just saw your edit, we have a Nuna Pipa + Triv system and like them a lot. You really need to get your hands on these things to decide if you like them. At least around here (SF bay area), Nordstrom carries a lot of Nuna.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyallm posted:

Thank you for this info, i think we are going with a mom cozy for breastpump.. (i think thats hpw you spell it but hesrd great things)

Also, the nuna we tried out in person at a pottery barn and really liked it!

Edit: thansk for the info, it only held 4 bottles but good to hear some of you thought it was worth it and this new one i cluses washing and sterlizling amd drying

Yeah I guess if it also washed the bottles we'd probably use it a lot more.

My wife tried the MomCozy S12, didn't like it, returned it. I think she found it was kind of a hassle to get them on properly and keep them there. I always felt like they were going to leak.

We've had good luck with a Spectra S1 and a Pumpables Genie. They're both basically the same technology, just with slightly different cup designs.. and I'm actually pretty sure you could plug the Spectra cup/bottle assembly into the Pumpables pump and vice versa.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyallm posted:

they have different shoes for different rooms, and then not even 30 seconds someone walked past us wearing shoes from outside into the room

huh?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Jesus Christ my wife would love this. Her ragtag collection of the largest cups we own just ain’t doing it.

it was three 32-oz Nalgene bottles for us and god help me if I forgot to fill them before bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If watching Call The Midwife has taught me anything is that with a combination of girdles and big sweaters you can hide a pregnancy from your employer or family right up until that big sploosh of water hits the floor, and that doing so is always a good idea.