Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

AlistairCookie posted:

Ditto. Midget did it at around a month a couple times but didn't do it again for a few months after that. Liam just hurled himself onto his side last night; he's two weeks today.

Edit: Question--Uneven milk production. I have noticed that my right side way out-produces my left. I would chalk it up to uneven stimulation or something (even though I really try to keep them even), but I also noticed it when I pumped exclusively for Midget. I noticed it this time since I'm pumping once or twice a day as well as nursing directly. Is this normal? Does it matter? I only care this time since I'm actually nursing--before I didn't care because I figured it was all going into the same bottle anyway, regardless of source. Should I let Liam on the right (heavier) side longer? Or the left (lighter) side longer to prompt it to make more? Or just not worry about it?

My right breast always puts out more than my left. I think that's pretty normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I have a Diaper Champ that's going on 5 years old. I have bleached the poo poo out of it (heh) and set it out in the sun to dry and destinkify and it still smells. I'm thinking of getting rid of the drat thing and doing the kitchen can business. The Champ was really great before it started to smell like a landfill, though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, I'm the person that couldn't care less for a Boppy. I'm large breasted and tend to use the football hold over the cradle hold for nursing and the Boppy really isn't good for that. It is great for propping the baby for tummy time and whatnot so it's not totally useless.

We had a borrowed Bumbo seat and I really liked it. I wouldn't spend the full amount for a new one but I always see them on Craigslist and the like for around $10. I think it's worth that much.

As for the changing table, I've used it with every baby so far. I still use it to change my youngest (he's almost 2) because it's easier on my back than getting down on the floor. I've got a cheapie Ikea Sniglar one. I think I paid about $40 for it so it was a pretty good investment for me.

On a different subject, I just kind of jumped in here but is it better form for me to introduce myself? I'm kind of new to the SA forums and I'm not sure what the protocol is.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That's a beautiful baby, MarshallX. Congratulations!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

A Serious Woman posted:

So what do you guys do to keep your kids entertained? Zoey's just over six weeks old and I'm at a loss as to what to do to keep her interested. I show her black and white baby stimulation images, play with her on her play mat (it has musical toys, dangly things, etc.), sing to her, talk to her, read to her, carry her around to let her see the happenings of the house (I'd do more of this if my back wasn't shot), let her sit in her chair that has dangly things that I'm teaching her to hit, etc. The problem is that no matter what we do, she gets bored within 10 minutes, starts crying and then wants to do something else. I'd be happy to do whatever I can to keep her content but I feel like my usual bag of tricks is coming up short. Any suggestions?

See, I don't really do a whole lot. I think a few minutes of play time here and there are fine but the rest of the time, babies can just observe their surroundings. I don't think the baby is bored so much as she's probably got sensory overload. I think just letting her be as long as she's happy and letting her watch you fold a load of laundry is good enough for a very young baby. Sing a little song while you do it if you feel the need to interact. I don't think you have to be entertaining a baby every moment they are awake.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My employer only allowed me 6 weeks of leave (Yes, I'm in the US, how could you tell?) so after my first was born I went back at that time. I did manage to talk him into letting me work part time for a good while. After my second baby was born, we decided that it made more sense financially for me to remain home considering my job was a 2 hour commute and didn't pay very well.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

AlistairCookie posted:

Now, I feel like at any given moment, I am short changing one of them--or both of them--not to even mention housework or anything. Being short with Midget and having him tell me to "talk nicely" or "take a breath, Mommy". :cry: Letting Liam cry for a minute because I am right in the middle of something with Midget--or not interacting with him like I want to during his awake time. Having to tell Midget to wait for the umteenth time because Liam is nursing (still, again, it's all the same since he eats constantly right now). I know it's a learning curve, figuring out how to juggle two. And I remember that this super-needy stage of Liam's doesn't last forever (and that I will probably miss it when it's gone).

I guess, the long and the short of it is that I feel really overwhelmed by becoming a FT SAHM, by learning how to deal with both kids, and feel like a total poo poo that I even have the audacity to feel like this. I love my boys! Why do I feel like such poo poo at the prospect of spending every day with them?! Anyone else have trials and tribulations when having a second kid and/or quitting their job to stay home?

P.S.--I've tried to work this post over to keep it brief and not sound like a selfish snatch as much as possible, so please forgive me. (I feel selfish though, and that's part of my little complex at the moment.)

It's hard being around demanding little people all day. Do NOT let yourself feel bad about not loving it. I'll be honest, I don't love being a stay home mom all the time. Some days are better than others, of course, but for the most part, it's very nerve wracking being someone's bitch all the time.

The comforting thing is that a) your kids are young enough they won't remember most of what happens during this time (I'm assuming your oldest is fairly young) and b) it gets better. You will adapt and find a way to get everyone's needs taken care of. Everyone will survive and be reasonably happy.

Personally, I think it's good for the older kid to learn to wait. I'm not a servant. I am not there to do my daughter's bidding. She's had to learn that sometimes snacks don't magically appear the moment she asks for them and that this ok. In fact, she might even be able to get it herself! Woo, independence!

Once the baby gets a bit older, I promise you it will be easier. Until then, it's all about triage. The one that cries the loudest gets served first. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You know, my kids are 4 and 2 and they STILL lose their freaking minds between 5 and 7 pm. I call it "The Demon Possession Hour".