Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I believe they had me wait until 6 months postpartum to check my eyes again. I go yearly due to Lasik surgery. I was told not at all during the 3rd trimester - due to the changes you described - and then not for 6 months.

I nursed and went at six months, so I don't think that should be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

Banana Cat posted:

Did anyone else have to deal with someone finding out about your pregnancy before you were ready to announce it?

Yes - my morning sickness let the cat out of the bag long before I wanted to announce anything. My husband and I had wanted to wait until 12 weeks, since the chance of miscarriage drops significantly at that point, but I started in with severe morning sickness right at 6 weeks, so it was hard to hide.

Since I was so sick, I had to inform my work and many of my friends found out. I told most of my family on the phone simply because if I hadn't, most people wouldn't have found out until she was born. And while I told my parents and siblings at 7 weeks, I still waited until almost 12 weeks to tell my grandparents, even though others knew.

I wouldn't worry about your co-worker, hopefully she will be nice and not ask specifically! There is nothing wrong with wanting to wait until 14 or 15 weeks, though I know I couldn't do it, so you can do it in person, but there is also nothing wrong with telling family over the phone. They will be just as excited when they get to see you at 14 or 15 weeks, regardless of when you told them.

Good luck and I hope your pregnancy sticks!!

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

bamzilla posted:

This is really mostly true if you do it with multiple kids. With one kid, I don't see it saving a whole lot of money what with initial investments and whatnot.

I believe the average cost of diapering one child in disposables is in the range of $2000. I have spent a grand total of $350 cloth diapering my daughter who is currently 17 months. This, of course, does not factor in water and electricity from laundry, but I did not notice any real change in our bills when we started washing her diapers every couple of days.

I do use a less expensive type of cloth diaper (and I use cloth wipes that I made myself)- prefolds with covers - but that is by choice. I prefer the simplicity of prefolds over all-in-ones, pockets, or hybrids. I have friends however who use pockets or AIOs and still have only spent about $500 total diapering their children.

Another bonus is that cloth diapers have resale value. I have sold the pockets, all-in-ones, and other diapers that I have no liked to provide the money for the diapers I use now.

Cloth diapers do have a heavier upfront cost, but over time they more than pay for themselves.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

Amykinz posted:

Well, according to the doctor, I am 4 weeks, 5 days pregnant, already have some mild nausea, but is it normal to be incredibly hungry already? Yesterday I could not eat enough. I'd finish what I had, and be starving almost directly afterward. I am slightly overweight, but these last few months I've been working on my portion control vs. calories daily. Is it normal to already feel like I have a tapeworm?

I was starving weeks 4 and 5 with my daughter. Then I started morning sickness from weeks 6-20 where eating was a pain. Hopefully, you'll just stay hungry and skip the second half of that!

I was a little overweight when I got pregnant with my daugther and just worked to continue eating healthy. I actually lost weight through most of my first two trimesters. My doctor was just fine with it, because despite the morning sickness I was eating enough (I pretty much ate non-stop to replace what my body rejected) and i was eating healthy.

Congrats and good luck!!

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

A Serious Woman posted:

So in short, MarshallX, just do what works best for your family regardless if it's breatfeeding or formula feeding. Don't let anyone make you or your wife feel guilty about the decision you make because at the end of the day, their opinion doesn't really matter. Just let your wife know she's not the only one who has experienced this problem.

I just wanted to second this as well. With my Aki, I had latch issues and used a shield for 3 weeks until she completely refused to latch. I then turned to trying to pump for her and because I already had supply issues I ended up having to supplment with formula. For 6 weeks, I fed Aki from a bottle 10 times a day and pumped no less than 8 times a day. It was insanity and I was exhausted and miserable.

We switched to formula around her 7th or 8th week and honestly, while I was not able to breastfeed her, which I had wanted, I was so much happier. As a result, she was happier too, because her mother was in a much better place to take care of her and actually have the energy to bond with her.

Hang in there, you make whatever decisions are best for you and your family. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks!!

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

Ariza posted:

I've tried her swing and vibrating chair but she just starts crying as soon as I set her down.

Do you have a carrier like a wrap or a pack carrier that you can put her in. I just to carry Aki in my moby wrap around the clock (except overnight) until she was 3 or 4 months old. She could sleep in it and I was able to sit in my rocking chair and at least relax completely while she slept. Hang in there, they really do have to learn to sleep on their own. Who knew sleeping was so difficult.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I too am anti-CIO, particularly those first few months when they really have no idea why you have abandoned them. I really believe that when they are that little there is no way they are manipulating you or playing you. If they are crying they need something, even if it is just comfort. I responded to Aki's every cry when she was tiny and now that Aki is almost 18 months we still have never let her go than 5 or so minutes of fussing before we go get her and we never let her get to full blown upset before we go to her.

That being said, we did not try to do anything sleep "training" related until she was 4 months old. I did not feel that she was mature enough to try prior to that point. Once we did, we did what Foxatee said, we would lay her down drowsy, but not yet asleep. Around 6 months, it suddenly seemed to make sense to her and she now sleeps a solid 12 hours most nights.

I also am a firm believer in an early bedtime once they are hold enough to start learning to go to sleep on their own. Aki is still in bed before 7 every night and often by 6:30. Yes, that means I get a wake up call around 7am every morning, but she is an incredibly pleasant, happy baby on that schedule and I really do think that her bedtime makes a huge difference.

Good luck! With the hubby and I talking about getting pregnant again, I am both nervous and excited to live those early days again!

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

Fire In The Disco posted:

This kind of thing, I have found, is generally true for many kids, but it's good for people to know that there are always exceptions to the rule. Cecilia's one of those kids who has always napped well but never slept more than 8 or 9 hours at night-- certainly not 12. But, even though she goes to bed at 9-10pm, she is happy and well-rested and I don't see a need to try to force her to sleep more, since she does well as is. So yes, try for an early bedtime when your baby is sleeping consistently, but if it doesn't work for your family for whatever reason, don't stress it either. :)

I agree and should have mentioned that myself! No baby is 100% "average," "normal" or any of those other words that go out the window when you have a kid. I still laugh whenever I open my parenting or pregnancy books, because while there are good things that I can take away, I find that more than half of the stuff I just have to ignore, because it would never work for Aki. You always do have to just find what works best for your family on pretty much everything!

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
All I know i that due dates are calculated on last menstral period, unless you are dead sure on the day you conceived. I am guessing that is why tests go based on your menstral cycle, since in theory it is the one known quantity in the getting pregnant equation.

Pregnancy tests detect HCG and are only so sensitive. So you have to be far enough along to actually have a hcg level that will register. HCG goes up quuickly in early pregnancy, so a negative test one day could turn into a positive the next.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I too failed my 1 hour glucose test and then passed my 3 hour with flying colors. The hardest part of the three hour test for me was the sweet drink took my morning sickness to a whole new level and I had to fight to keep it down.

Hopefully your wife will have a good result in the 3 hour, though GD is definitely manageable. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I can't think of why she would need to skip them, but that being said, if her stomach is at all touchy right now, I would just wait until after the test. Prenatals can be hard on the stomach anyway, the sweet Karo drink definitely doesn't feel great on the stomach, and without food both can make your stomach insane.

There is certainly no harm waiting to take it after the three hours are up and she can eat with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her!