Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!

CrispyMini posted:

Any thoughts on the opposite problem? We've tried 3 different nipples, and probably 6 or 7 different pacifiers, but I can't get Quinn to take a bottle. We've tried me giving it to him, his dad, when he's hungry and when he's not. I'm not willing to go out and buy a ton of new bottles "just to see" if they work, as it's just a once in a while thing that he'll need one. I have the Medela bottle that came with my pump, a Born Free, and a Tommee Tippee because it was advertised on the box as "closest to breast". (My kid was not fooled)

It's not a HUGE deal, but we've got a couple of evenings coming up soon that we need to go to, so it would mean the difference several hours of screaming baby or not to our sitter (my poor sister).

I'm assuming you've tried leaving the room? We couldn't get Atticus to take a bottle until one day I handed the bottle to his dad and left to take a shower. If I was around, he'd look at me like WHAT THE gently caress MOM. But as soon as I left he gave it a shot. He wasn't very good at using it, he'd kind of chomp on it, but it was enough to hold him over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
I liked Dr. Sears's Baby Book a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Book-Everything-Revised-Updated/dp/0316778001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303259875&sr=8-1

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
I drank a fair amount and smoked (cigarettes mostly but pot too I think) my first month of pregnancy because I had an oops baby. He's totally healthy. Just make the right decisions from now on out and you should be good!

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
I used a nipple shield for a few weeks. It saved our nursing relationship (he couldn't latch w/o it at first) and wasn't difficult to wean to wean him off when I was ready.

I'm sorry the pain is so bad. :( Nursing can really be a pain in the rear end at first, but it's definitely short term hard work, long term laziness!

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002

Exelsior posted:

You would really fit in better over at the mothering.com forums.

Yeah, no science and thinking about decisions allowed here! She's not saying OMG GET MEDICINE AWAY FROM MY BABY, if I understand correctly it's just that she wants to have more information. It's pretty normal in my opinion to want to have a good idea of what kinds of medicines you are given and what their possible effects are.

MoCookies, I don't have any information for you, but I'd keep pestering your midwives. What do you mean by frustratingly neutral? If I were you, I'd explain that you are confused and you want their recommendation. I would strongly agree that the antibiotics are a low risk compared to what can happen without them but this should really be something you talk through with your provider.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
I was pregnant over the Chicago winter! It's...pretty awful, haha. Stay indoors a lot. When I was pregnant (and even now still,but less so) I was super sensitive to temperature so the cold was even worse.

I'm cheap and was pretty broke at the time, so I just bought an oversized peacoat at Kmart for $20 bucks. At the very end of the pregnancy, I couldn't button it all the way but I was layering a ton so it didn't matter. I used it for babywearing the next winter so I really got my mileage out of those 20bucks.

Make sure you have boots with good traction too!

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002

Gumby Orgy posted:

Pregnancy is a poo poo sandwich.

:mad:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

I had hyperemesis. It sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked. I was hospitalized twice for dehydration and was sick until the last two months. Even after the constant nausea went away, I still threw up occasionally. I took Zofran, that helped a lot. It still blew. I hated pregnancy.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002

chachu posted:

Your condition is called "being pregnant". You throw up (a lot). Hyperemesis gravidarum literally means "throwing up a lot during pregnancy". That's what you do in pregnancy. You feel like poo poo. You cry over everything. You're super emotional. You seriously need to chill lest the next 32 weeks of your pregnancy give you a nervous breakdown. Might I suggest http://livejournal.com?

I love you chachu, but screw you. Hyperemesis gravidarum is not the same as normal pregnancy at all. Now, there are lesser cases of it that go away after the start of the second trimester, and its highly possible that will happen to Gumby Orgy, but please don't falsely equate those two. It was so incredibly frustrating for me when I was pregnant to hear women say "oh, I had bad morning sickness too!" It's not the same thing. I couldn't eat at all, I could barely drink, I lost 20 lbs in a few weeks, I had to quit my job. (I was going to school full time as well at the time, and I did manage to do that but only with the help of understanding teachers) And while the worst only lasted a few weeks, I was dependent on the Zofran for six months just to keep food down and I STILL threw up half the time anyway. It was loving miserable.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002

Whitey Ford posted:

Oh my god.

My wife is actually due today, I think I am going to cry when our daughter is born

My fiance did. :) It's a pretty emotional moment. (I didn't, but the first thing I did after he came out was throw up so I was a little preoccupied)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
When I was extremely nauseous, my midwife suggested alternating taking small bites of pretzels with small sips of lemonade. Something about the sour-sweet-salty combo just worked.. It kept me out of the hospital on more than a few occasions!