Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
We spent $25-30 on a really really good pair of german-made blunt-tipped nail scissors and they work SO much better than any clippers did for us. The clippers just bent her flexible albeit razor sharp nails - the scissors cut them cleanly and easily. I strongly recommend blunt-tipped nail scissors, and investing in a quality pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Do you have a crib you could sidecar to your bed?

This, plus, do you swaddle her?

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
Does swapping side to side more often help? Like, 15 min right, 15 min left, 10 min right, 10 min left, for those 50 minute marathons?

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
I agree with FitD, as I loved my My Brest Friend from the get-go and used it until bitty was an enormous toddler, and I've never found the Boppy to be comfortable.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
For Americans reading this: the foreigners here talking about using powdered milk are talking about using what we call formula here. They aren't actually talking about feeding newborn babies powdered milk. Don't feed your baby powdered milk, kkthx.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
Re: SIDS fears, add a fan to the room to circulate air better, and that cuts your SIDS risk by some ridiculously large percentage, so you can feel better about having your kid side-sleep or tummy-sleep if that's what ends up happening.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Natzor posted:

This is going to be TMI, but I can't find a good answer online and its the middle of the night or I would call the doctor. I estimate that I am 4 weeks, and my first appointment is next week. I have a small amount of very very light brown discharge, but no cramping or anything else. Any thoughts on what this could be? My mind immediately jumps to miscarriage, but what do I know.

Very normal. Nothing to worry about. Commonplace.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
At least where I live, you never have to wear a hospital gown. You can simply tell them that you do not wish to. I personally abhor hospital gowns, and went as far as to buy clothes specifically meant to labor in (yeah, yeah, OK, but I was pregnant, you don't argue with a pregnant woman who is shopping online), and wore those clothes until it was time to be naked. I wanted skin-to-skin contact at birth so didn't want to be wearing clothes at that point. Besides which, once you're pushing, you don't really have a nudity taboo. At least, when you're going natural, epidurals might change that :)

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I'm struggling with some feelings right now and I'd really like to know if I'm being stupid or not.

The problem is people giving me things. My best friend is giving me a bunch of her old baby clothes. She's had three boys and so has plenty to give. But she also bought me some things from a yard sale in her neighborhood. A swing thing, a vibrating bouncy chair, and a bathtime baby washer thing. They all looked a bit ratty and weren't anything all in the style I would want to get. I told her thank you of course, and I'm going to take all of it, but it really started getting me down.

Then another friend messaged me out of nowhere and said she had stuff for me without me even asking her. She said "You can look through it and keep what you want and then give the rest to Goodwill." I feel like she's just trying to slough the stuff off on me to clean out her closet.

People are giving me things and it's not that I don't appreciate it, but if I'm given everything, I can't give my kid anything myself. I want to pick things out for my first born. Things that aren't hand me downs. But now I have a bouncy chair and it would be wasteful and also look like I'm ungrateful if I went and got one more my style and brand new.

It's the one thing I can do for my kid right now, buy the things he's going to need and I just feel like if people are giving me stuff, I don't get to do that. I don't get to provide for my baby.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything people are doing and giving me, but I want to do things to. I want to be his provider. I want to get my first born nice new stuff, not hand me downs. We're not poor, we can afford all the stuff he needs, but it would be wasteful to go get it now that someone else has given me a second hand thing from a yard sale.

I became so upset about this I actually cried my eyes out telling my husband about how I feel.

Another thing that makes me feel so completely and utterly guilty is that I am more disappointed I'm having a boy then I thought I would be. I really wanted a girl because I just don't understand boys. I don't get it. I'm so worried that I wont be able to bond with my child because I wont get him. I also really, really hate all the stuff they have for boys. It's all full of robots and cars and planes and I hate it all. It's all so generic and crappy and ugly and I hate it so now I don't like anything I CAN get for my kid and it's just become this huge cycle of depression, guilt, and annoyance.

Am I being ridiculous?

You're not being stupid or ridiculous; you're being pregnant.

Ask everyone who is offering you items whether they will want them back later -- if they will, decline to accept them on the grounds that you just can't promise to take good enough care of them and you'd be sad to return them in bad shape or break them before they can be returned.

For everything that your friends say they will not be asking you to return: Take everything that you cannot easily dodge, thank people sweetly, then donate the gently caress out of the pile, only retaining things that you really would like to keep. Your friend who was telling you they'd give you a pile and you could donate the rest? They're just clued into the fact that this is how hand-me-downs work. Embrace the system. Smile and donate, donate, donate. You are not being wasteful - you are getting those items to people who actually need them. Your friends will be happy because they will have gotten a pile of baby stuff out of their houses and gotten to feel like they helped you out. You will have the warm fuzzies of donating lots of stuff to people in need. Get receipts for your taxes.

Is it a pain to do donations? Yes, somewhat, but you can make your husband drop things off. And you're investing in the relationship with the other moms in your mom community. And no, you don't have to use anything hand-me-down for your firstborn if you can afford to buy new. If you have a second child, you'll probably be more into hand-me-downs for the second kid because all the stuff you already own will be defacto hand-me-downs from kid #1. But this is your first kid, and you wanna nest, so go for it.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
People who are bored and feel guilty about lying about while their bodies say YOU REST NOW during the third trimester:

NOW is the time to read books about babies and sleep. Once you have a baby who will not sleep, you may not have slept enough recently to absorb and retain facts worth a drat. Now's an excellent time to check Happiest Baby on the Block (about soothing newborns) and your sleep book of choice (eg, No-Cry Sleep Solution, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, choose your poison) out of the library.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Pinkmetallic posted:

First pregnancy here...but I read to bring your own pads with you to the hospital for the postnatal bleeding and even some Depends Underwear because they are more comfortable than wearing a pad the first day.

The hospital I birthed at gave me endless enormous maternity pads, plus the first day they gave me coldpacks and mesh panties that were very soothing.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

bamzilla posted:

I bled for like a week, but even though I was breastfeeding my period came right on time (which happened to be a little over a month after I had her)

I bled for six weeks, but got 14 months off my period, so your mileage may vary :)

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
As far as milk production goes, you've already heard all the best recommendations.

For some women, the best advice isn't adequate. For a subset of those women, domperidone, a prescription medication (in some countries; over the counter in others) can be extremely effective in increasing or inducing lactation.

I just throw it out there in case anyone struggling with low milk supply hasn't investigated it as a potential option. Obviously, do your research before taking any drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
For people struggling hard with low milk supply and suffering greatly, you might consider discussing domperidone with your medical provider.